An unofficial guide to Verizon Contracts.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
***EDIT: Verizon has made several significant changes to their policies since I made this. I'll post a new version soon***

With the announcement of the Incredible, X, and a slew of other handsets, some of you may be considering Verizon as your next carrier (or if you?re with Verizon, you?re considering making the jump to smartphones) and the whole process of contracts, early termination fees, and upgrades might seem like a daunting amount of information to sift through before you purchase. Hopefully, this can help clarify some things for you.

But why listen to me? I used to manage a Verizon Wireless Premium Retailer store. This means that while I don?t understand EVERYTHING about the inner workings of ?big red? I spent a lot of time going over how contracts work, and even more time thinking of ways to explain that legalise in a way that others might understand.

I'll split this first post into two main sections. The first will go over contracts in general: What they mean, how ETF's work, and what they limit you to. In the second section, I'll give an overview of the three main contract agreements Verizon offers and the costs/benefits you can expect if you choose them.

Contract Basics: Early Term Fee and Contract Expectations

Your customer agreement is a contract between you and Verizon saying that you?ll pay them for service for a set amount of time (or longer). In exchange for this agreement, you get certain perks (customer service, warranty exchanges over the phone, etc) and if you agree to sign on for one or two years, they will give you a phone for a significantly discounted price.

This is where the Early Termination Fee (ETF) comes in. This has two purposes. The first is to make up for the discounted prices of the device. The second is to make up for the lost revenue from a cancelled contract (or more accurately, to ensure that you keep in contract for the 2 years).

For smartphones like android, the Early Termination Fee for both one and two year contracts is $350. For every month that you maintain service, Verizon removes $10 from the ETF amount. This means that if you canceled after 1 month, the ETF would be $340, after 2 months it would become $330, etc.

The contract (and thus the etf) ONLY require that you continue service with verizon in some form for whatever your agreement with them is. This means that you can raise (or lower) your minutes, add (or remove) data--providing your phone doesn't require the feature--whenever you want without extending your contract or worrying about getting smacked with an early termination fee.

What does this mean? Say you buy the new DroidX at the launch, signing a new contract for them on an unlimited everything plan. If, six months down the road, you decide that you don't really need unlimited minutes, and maybe you switched to using Google Voice for all your texting. You can call up customer service, lower yourself to a cheaper plan without any penalty. Say that in a year, you decide you don't need a smart phone anymore and pick up a cheap flip phone off Ebay and activate it. Again, no penalty.

Typically the only time your contract is extended is if you receive a new phone for a discounted price (activation, upgrade, etc) or if you accept some promotion for re-signing a contract, such as "get 100 bonus minutes a month free if you sign up for an additional 2 years."

So while you are "locked in" to Verizon for one or two years, you're not locked in to a certain plan, or even a certain phone for that length of time.

Contracts, Phone Pricing, and Upgrades:

Before we start talking about when you can upgrade your phone, how much the phone will cost, and if it has a free pony, we need to cover the Three basic contract "terms" offered by Verizon. These terms have the same monthly cost associated with them, but they change the upfront cost (and upgrade date) of the devices dramatically.

Standard two year pricing:
This is the typical contract that verizon wants to sign you up for. Whenever you see a phone advertised for "$199.99" or "bogo" it is for a two year contract. This contract give you the cheapest price up front for the phone and more "perks"than other options, but it also requires the longest commitment and wait time before you're eligible for cheap pricing again.

For two year contracts, you can upgrade every twenty months. This means that if you got the DroidX at launch (7/15/2010), you'd be able to get promotional pricing again on 3/15/2012.

One thing to remember is that any special promotions like buy one get one sales, special "coupons," New every 2 discounts or "24hr sales" will only work with Two year contracts.

Two year contracts have two other benefits that are different from what the other options offer. The first is that if you agree to another two year agreement when you're eligible to upgrade, you'll receive an additional discount (an extra $30 to $50 dollars depending on your plan) on top of the promotional price. If you're content with verizon's service and coverage, this is a nice added benefit to the agreement.

The second benefit is what's called an "Annual Upgrade." This is available to any single line or primary line on a family share plan that meets a certain plan criteria. If your account qualifies, you can upgrade to a new phone every 12 months at standard 2 year pricing (plus a $20 annual upgrade fee).

To qualify for an annual upgrade, single line plans must have a Plan package $59.99 or higher BEFORE adding any features, such as email&web. This is any Nationwide Talk plan above 900 minutes, or any Nationwide Talk&Text plan. For family share plans, Family Nationwide Talk plans over 1400 minutes or any Family Nationwide Talk&Text plans qualify. Remember, $9.99 share plans or any "legacy" plans (such as Americas Choice) do not qualify for annual upgrades.

One year contracts:
Like the name implies, this is a one year agreement with Verizon. Store reps, and most phone/online reps will not mention this option because it's less profitable for the company and more importantly (at least for them) it makes them a LOT less money in commission. For you the user, you'll be expected to pay a slight premium (typically $70 more than the two year price) in exchange for the shorter contract.

A lot authorized retailers (like the one I worked for) won't even offer one year contracts as an option because it means they end up losing money on the deal. Just like coupons and special offers only work with 2 year contracts, most "spiffs" (what Verizon pays the retailer to help cover the discount of the phone) only work with 2 year contracts as well. If you want to go for a one year contract, your best best is to do it online.

What a one year contract allows you to do is to get new phone ever 10 months for a discounted price. For android users, this can be a huge benefit since it seems you can's sneeze before a new android phone is announced. It's not an "anytime upgrade" but it's about as good as you'll get if you want some sort of discount on your new toy.

Month to Month contracts:
For those of us who like having the best devices as soon as they come out, or if you're someone who hates the idea of being tied down for any period of time, this is the best option. There are absolutely no discounts on the phone itself (no coupons, special offers, etc will work with this contract) so you'll be paying the "sticker price" of a phone. To give you a point of reference, the sticker price of the Motorola Droid is $559.99 while it is only $149.99 on a two year agreement through verizon.

So why buy a phone this way? Purchasing a phone retail also helps sooth that irrational anger we as consumers can get when we go to get a new phone and the salesperson quotes the retail price since we can't upgrade yet. And if you're like me, knowing that the phone in your pocket is a $600 piece of technology instead of a $199 special makes you take extra care of it. But these are psychological benefits, but there are also very tangible benefits to consider.

For one, buying a phone at retail cost means that you can end your contract with Verizon whenever you feel like it. For some customers (such as myself) this is a big enough benefit for them to forgo contracts completely. If you're someone who likes the latest and greatest (and you take care of your phones) selling your old models to friends or on ebay will help soften the sticker shock somewhat.

If you are currently in a contract with Verizon, you can purchase a new phone to put on your line at full retail cost without extending your contract, so if you're thinking of switching to Verizon, but don't want to spend the extra money now, you can always sign a one or two year agreement now, and then buy the "next big thing" at retail whenever it comes out. Conversely, if you're on a month to month plan and want to sign a new contract (1 or 2 year) for a new phone, you can do so at any time.

Closing Thoughts, a Question, and Contact:

I hope I cleared some questions up about how Verizon contracts and upgrades work. I know that there is a lot I didn't cover in this guide, but hopefully it's a good foundation for us to build on.

Which brings me to my question; what questions do you have about Verizon, the upgrade process, or Android in general? Feel free to ask me a question on twitter (@mennomobile) or send an email to mennomobileblog (at) gmail (dot) com.

In a world that doesn't, Droid Does.

Last edited:

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Common Verizon Phrases (Glossary): (Work in progress.. if you want me to add something here, let me know)

Alternate Upgrade- Sometimes known as the "buddy upgrade" This is when you use the upgrade available on one of the numbers on your account to get another number a new phone. For example, you want the new Droidx, so you use your grandmothers upgrade to get it (putting the new phone on your number) because her phone still works great. Alternate upgrades can only be done on lines that are on the same account.

Annual Upgrade- When a customer on a traditional 2yr contract is eligible to upgrade every year. Only available to "high value" plans. Occurs every 12 months, but allows the customer to purchase the new device at 2yr pricing with only a $20 early upgrade fee.

BOGO- A promotion where Verizon will offer you a "free" second device if you purchase one at the normal upgrade price. In order to qualify, you need to have two lines eligible to upgrade/sign up for new activation. Both phones will have to be active on different lines on the same account to qualify.

Early Termination Fee (ETF)- The amount charged to a customer if they cancel their contract with Verizon before their service agreement (one or two years) is over. This early termination fee starts at a set amount (175 or 350) depending on the device and it goes down by a set amount every month.

Exception Upgrade- when the manager of a store (or someone in customer service) offers you an upgrade before your normal upgrade date. As the name implies, these are NOT the norm, so every customer will not have this offered to them. Typically, NE2 credits and additional discounts cannot be applied to these.

Features- Services added to a phone line that are not considered part of the plan (and thus are not factored in to early upgrade eligibility). This is Anything but Unlimited texting bundles and the voice plan itself. So data plans, smaller texting plans, insurance, vcast, ringback tones, etc.

Free Phone- A myth. Seriously, they don't exist. If you're not paying for the phone, it's because you're paying for the service. Also, phones today are a lot more expensive than they were years ago, so expect less phones to be "free" up front as well, especially smartphones. If a phone is "free" up front, it's either old technology (they are trying to get rid of it) or it's built cheaply to get to that price point.

High Value Plan- Any Single Line plan 59.99 or higher, or the primary line of a family share plan $79 or higher, not including features. This is any Nationwide talk and text plan, or Nationwide Talk plans above the entry level plan (so 900 minutes for single lines, 1400+ for family share plans). This is also the base plan. Before taxes or discount are applied.

NE2- An additional discount given to Single Line and Primary Line customers in addition to the promotional upgrade pricing. Current NE2 discounts come in two amounts, $30 and $50 off

Premium/Authorized Retailer- A Store, Kiosk, or Website that is authorized to sell Verizon products and Services to consumers. While the plans and devices offered by these stores are EXACTLY the same as what is offered by corporate, they may have different policies from corporate, such as not offering one year upgrades, or charging an additional Fee if you cancel within the first 6 months of service. These places are clearly marked, so there should be no confusing them with a corporate location. There are advantages and disadvantages to dealing through retailers, depending on who the retailer is and what you want.

Primary Line- In a family share plan, this is the line that has the majority of the voice plan billed to it. This is typically, but not always, the line of the account holder, and the only line in a family share plan that would qualify for NE2 credits or annual upgrades.

PRL- Also known as the Preferred Roaming List. This is a list your phone maintains that tells it which towers it can make and receive calls off of. You can update your PRL by dialing *228 and selecting option 2. It's a good idea to do this once a month, or if you traveled several hundred miles from your normal "base" location.

Retail Pricing- The cost of a product without any upgrade discounts factored in.

Secondary Line/Share Line- A line that shares minutes/unlimited texting with the primary line on a family share plan.

Upgrade- The discount given to current customers when they fulfill at least 20 months of their current 2yr contract (or 10 months of their 1yr agreement). This is often the same discount offered to new customers. And no matter what anyone on the phone tries to tell you, you NEVER lose your upgrade unless you sign a new contract or cancel the service.

Last edited:
Reactions: ladyknight

katrina2475

Apr 12, 2010
ksanchez.scentsy.us
Thank you very much for posting this! I literally just got off the phone with Verizon looking to switch from Sprint because of signal issues in my home. I was worried I'd have to give up my new phone every year with Sprint Premier but it looks like I wont have to. Also, the Verizon rep said there is a tower right around the block from me. Bonus! Now I'm just waiting until the 15th when the Droid X comes out to sign up.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Added a Work in Progress Glossary. Let me know if you guys need any weird terms explained or something.

@Rachus, I'll look into it. I know it doesn't support MMS yet though.

dwe28

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I have the Nationwide Talk & Text plan at 59.99 so I qualify for annual upgrades. :D

One question. I signed up with Verizon in January to get a Motorola Droid and I had to give them $400 (security deposit). I'm almost six months into my contract and am wondering when I can get that money back.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
You get the money back after 12 on time payments (so 1 year). So you'll get it back in January, most likely with interest depending on your state.

dwe28

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
You get the money back after 12 on time payments (so 1 year). So you'll get it back in January, most likely with interest depending on your state.

Okay, thanks again. I pay my bills usually 3-7 days in advance so I'll be good.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
So if Iget the X when it drops, how much cash do I need to walk in Verizon with?

What kind of plan do you have? Are you a new customer or upgrading, if upgrading are you the primary line on your account(or the only line on your account), do you have a NE2 credit, and if so, how much? What is the sales tax in your state? There are a lot of variables needed to answer that question.

theoneuafter

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I am not the primeary line. My ne2 is up in August 2010 but from what I read I can still get ne2 pricing as long as my upgrade is due in 2010? Its only a month away reguardless lol.
I have the $39.99 450 min plan with the 5000 txt option.

Hope that helps. I really want the X but it depends on the out of pocket cost

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Well if you are on the 39.99, you are the primary line, or a single line. You should be able to upgrade early, but you won't get any NE2 discounts to upgrade early so Your instore cost should be:

299.99 + tax, so 320.99, but then you get $100 back in a MIR. If you go to a place that doesn't require a MIR (best buy, hhgregg, online etc) your cost will be 213.99. These prices are approximate.

theoneuafter

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
So the early upgrade they allow in 2010 does not apply for me? Hmmm mabey I will try Best Buy if they dont require a mail in rebate. Im moving at the end of the month. Dont want my rebate lost in the mail lol
Thanks for the help!

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
you do get an early upgrade, but the NE2 credit isn't part of it. To get the NE2 credit you need to go 20 months of a 2 year contract, and they don't really push it forward any.