verizon 1 year contract or 2

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
One year contracts increase the price of the phone by $70 over the normal 2yr contract price (could be more at retail locations, but it's 70 at corporate). Additionally, deals like "Bogo" and "use this coupon to save an extra $50" won't work with one year contracts.

It also allows you to upgrade every 10 months instead of every 20.

ETF and monthly payments stay the same

didiwags

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm now you guys have me thinking about doing a 1 yr contract instead!!! I recently found out the difference in price and it really is not that bad...... hmmm I guess I can ponder on this for another 12 days till the X comes out!!! :)

Tifoso

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Other things to consider are:
1. how likely are you to switch carriers at the end of your contract? if you think you won't like VZW's phone selection or service, then a 1-year deal might be the way to go.

2. what will be your base rate for a calling plan? if it is $60 or higher, then you get an annual upgrade for a new phone anyway. just keep in mind using the annual upgrade renews your deal for another 2 years. but if the phone selections keep improving and you like the service from VZW, a 2 year deal is probably just as good as a 1 year (maybe better).

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
$70 is nothing in the long run considering you will be paying well over that monthly once data and texts are included. However, you might want to switch come next year for some reason and $70 nixes whatever would be left of that $300+ ETF.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
If you get a 1 year contract, wouldn't the NE2 be like a NE1 & you get a free phone the next year?

When you sign a 1 year contract, you can upgrade in 10 months for the 1yr price again (2yr price+70)

NE2 credits are ONLY for 2 year contracts. There is no 1 year equivalent

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
well thats lame D: you can upgrade annually & get 100$ off retail price.

When you're upgrading, you're getting FAR more than $100 off retail pricing, even with a 1 year.

Let's look at the motorola droid.

The Full Retail pricing (from Verizon's site) is: $559.99

The One year pricing would be: $219.99 (discount of $340)

The Two year pricing would be: $149.99 (discount of $410)

NE2 discounts are an additional $30 or $50 off the retail pricing of the phone.

The days of Verizon only discounting a phone by $120 are LONG gone.