Rethinking my next phone choice...

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
My current contract with Verizon is up for renewal/extension in a couple of months, and as of last Feb when I nearly killed my Droid X with the 2.3.4 OTA update after I rooted for the express purpose of being able to properly use it like an iPod (syncing playcounts back to iTunes AND having my preferred media player activate when connecting to BlueTooth), I had decided to go back to an iPhone this time around. I used to have an iPhone when I was on AT&T four years ago.

But with the news that the iPhone will not support simultaneous data on LTE on ANY carrier, I'm second guessing myself. So, I have some questions about what Android phones I should consider. My "musts" include:

LTE simultaneous data and voice
Decent headset jack (the jack itself on my D-X sucks, verified by testing the same headsets on different phones, it's my phone)
Rootable if I need to freeze out the built-in music player so BT will activate my preferred player
Decent battery life
NOT a Samsung

I'm not in any particular hurry as while I can upgrade now per VZW, I'm facing a layoff in a few weeks and thus I need to wait until employment is secured before buying a new phone.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well honestly. Samsung makes the best phone IMO. Is there a reason you don't like them j.w but if you like the droid x you could get the newest razar. The RAZR-HD the razr line is pretty good. . Or if you aren't in a rush.. you could wait and see this new HTC phone that version may get. It has beats audio so I guess the sound would be good.. I think all Verizon 4g phones can do sv&d. I know my thunderbolt could and my galaxy nexus can. But just not in 3g of course. But on VZW your best choice would be the galaxy s3 or on of the new razors. But like I was saying if u can wait. see what HTC has up their sleeve

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I have had a 100% failure rate with anything branded "Samsung" with worse customer support, so I will never willingly buy from them again for anything.

It's not so much that I like the DX, it's just that at the time I got it, it was the best I could see, I'm not particularly married to using Moto. Oh, and one "must" I appear to have forgotten (which rules out the Razr M, I just read a review on it) is a decent camera. I want to be able to do away with my pocket camera.

bulldogmoe7

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
i say hold off for a few until your upgrade is available. mine is up at the end of november and i have been searching for a new one. doing my homework. well in the coming weeks there will be a whole lot of new phones coming out. a new motorola that is suppose to be kick ass along with an LG. sow whatever is bought "today" will be outdated in a few months.

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
i say hold off for a few until your upgrade is available. mine is up at the end of november and i have been searching for a new one. doing my homework. well in the coming weeks there will be a whole lot of new phones coming out. a new motorola that is suppose to be kick ass along with an LG. sow whatever is bought "today" will be outdated in a few months.

Yeah, there is always a next Droid coming out... :) OTOH, when that next item does come out, today's top models drop in price.