Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 49 of 49
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #26  
    Notrega's Avatar

    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkman. View Post
    Will transferring my upgrade from my Unlimited line to a tiered line kill my unlimited data? I want to transfer my upgrade to my gf's tiered line to get the droid DNA. When it arrives I'll just put my sim in the phone. I'm just worried it could void out my unlimited....
    That should not happen

    Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums
    I have sworn upon the alter of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Thanked by:
  2. #27  
    Pinkman.'s Avatar

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    Quote Originally Posted by notrega View Post
    That should not happen

    Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums
    Thanks for the input. Just saved me some $$$ from buying it out right! You've done the upgrade transfer and equipment swap on your plan with no issues?
  3. #28  
    karn101's Avatar

    Posts
    235 Posts
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    I've been trying out different scenarios and I'm a little confused by this method. Perhaps someone can add some clarification. From what I'm seeing, having a Basic Phone costs $30 for a monthly line access and the its plan would be $10/month. That's $40 extra just to add another line monthly.

    I tried this as an individual account as well.

    How are you guys bypassing the $30/month charge?
  4. #29  

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    30dollars on the share everything plans.

    We are talking about the family share plans that verizon no longer advertises but still offers. You need to inquire about it

    iSheep... iSheep... Meowww that's Apple
    Thanked by:
  5. #30  
    karn101's Avatar

    Posts
    235 Posts
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    Quote Originally Posted by Droid3r View Post
    30dollars on the share everything plans.

    We are talking about the family share plans that verizon no longer advertises but still offers. You need to inquire about it

    iSheep... iSheep... Meowww that's Apple
    Thank you, this was a much better explanation. I was able to do the Family_Share plan online which showed the account taking up $9.99 monthly access. I added a 2gb plan which I am assuming is just for the added line which will be removed when I replace that line with a dumb phone. Thank you guys for this neat 'trick'.
  6. #31  
    Nakrohtap's Avatar

    Posts
    884 Posts
    ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkman. View Post
    Will transferring my upgrade from my Unlimited line to a tiered line kill my unlimited data? I want to transfer my upgrade to my gf's tiered line to get the droid DNA. When it arrives I'll just put my sim in the phone. I'm just worried it could void out my unlimited....
    I actually just talked to Verizon at lunch today. Whatever line's upgrade you are using will lose the unlimited data. My son wants to get a new phone using my upgrade. Both lines have unlimited right now. But, if he uses my line's upgrade, I lose unlimited. Transferring just allows another line to get a new phone, but the line that is eligible loses.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  7. #32  
    Nakrohtap's Avatar

    Posts
    884 Posts
    ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    Quote Originally Posted by karn101 View Post
    Thank you, this was a much better explanation. I was able to do the Family_Share plan online which showed the account taking up $9.99 monthly access. I added a 2gb plan which I am assuming is just for the added line which will be removed when I replace that line with a dumb phone. Thank you guys for this neat 'trick'.
    One way you can look at it is you're paying $10 more a month to keep unlimited data. If Verizon would bring back their double your data promotion for this new crappy family share plan, I would switch. It's not worth the headache jumping through all these hoops to keep unlimited. If I could get 20gb for the price of 10gb, I'm in. I need an average of at least 4gb per line. Everyone doesn't use the same amount of data, so that would allow me to go even higher on my line.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  8. #33  

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    So there's 3 phones on our plan. One dumb phone and 2 smart. The dumb and one smart's contract is up. The other is eligible for upgrade in dec. So is it safe to transfer the upgrade of the dumb to the smart that has not expired yet and not lose the unlimited data?
  9. #34  
    Nakrohtap's Avatar

    Posts
    884 Posts
    ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    Quote Originally Posted by nat72sherman View Post
    So there's 3 phones on our plan. One dumb phone and 2 smart. The dumb and one smart's contract is up. The other is eligible for upgrade in dec. So is it safe to transfer the upgrade of the dumb to the smart that has not expired yet and not lose the unlimited data?
    Yes. But, come December, you will not be able to use that line's upgrade to purchase another subsidized phone without losing unlimited data.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  10. #35  

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    Just to make sure.

    I have main line #1 who is due for an upgrade. Line #4 on our plan is a dumbphone. If i transfer the upgrade to the dumbphone but once I get it activate it on the main line, I wont lose unlimted data?
  11. #36  
    Nakrohtap's Avatar

    Posts
    884 Posts
    ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    Quote Originally Posted by azdmelani View Post
    Just to make sure.

    I have main line #1 who is due for an upgrade. Line #4 on our plan is a dumbphone. If i transfer the upgrade to the dumbphone but once I get it activate it on the main line, I wont lose unlimted data?
    Whatever line is due the upgrade is the line where the data plan will change. Transferring the upgrade just allows you to activate it on another line in one fell swoop. When you transfer the phone, you are re-upping on the line that was eligible for the upgrade. Hence, you can't re-up with unlimited data because it isn't an option.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  12. #37  

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    Quote Originally Posted by Nakrohtap View Post
    Whatever line is due the upgrade is the line where the data plan will change. Transferring the upgrade just allows you to activate it on another line in one fell swoop. When you transfer the phone, you are re-upping on the line that was eligible for the upgrade. Hence, you can't re-up with unlimited data because it isn't an option.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Exactly. Any Line with Unlimited data that uses their upgrade directly or indirectly (for the benefit of someone else) will lose Unlimited Data.
  13. #38  
    Bond32's Avatar

    Posts
    1,356 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    Quote Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
    Exactly. Any Line with Unlimited data that uses their upgrade directly or indirectly (for the benefit of someone else) will lose Unlimited Data.
    That is NOT true at all. I don't know where you're getting your info. If you have 2 lines on the account and one is unlimited with the available upgrade you can transfer it to another line on the same account. Transferring the upgrade renews your CURRENT contract on that line (unlimited) for 2 years however when you use the upgrade on the other line it will put that line to a new plan. After all that's done you simply activate the new phone on your unlimited line.

    This is exactly what I did to get the S3. Locked in another 2 year agreement with unlimited data on my line however the other line I used is now on a 2 gig plan.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt
  14. #39  

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    Quote Originally Posted by Bond32 View Post
    That is NOT true at all. I don't know where you're getting your info. If you have 2 lines on the account and one is unlimited with the available upgrade you can transfer it to another line on the same account. Transferring the upgrade renews your CURRENT contract on that line (unlimited) for 2 years however when you use the upgrade on the other line it will put that line to a new plan. After all that's done you simply activate the new phone on your unlimited line.
    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Check your contract. If you transferred an upgrade from a line that has Unlimited Data, it is that line that has the Contract Extended and that line that loses Unlimited Data. If you have Unlimited Data on any line and extend the contract by accepting the subsidy, you lose Unlimited Data on that line.
  15. #40  
    Bond32's Avatar

    Posts
    1,356 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    Quote Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
    Check your contract. If you transferred an upgrade from a line that has Unlimited Data, it is that line that has the Contract Extended and that line that loses Unlimited Data. If you have Unlimited Data on any line and extend the contract by accepting the subsidy, you lose Unlimited Data on that line.
    Buddy, I checked this daily the first few days of doing it. No I never lost unlimited on my line. Before I did this I even called Verizon twice to confirm I wouldn't loose unlimited data. Want a screen shot?

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt
  16. #41  

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    So you're saying that you took an Upgrade from a line that had Unlimited Data and transferred that Upgrade to another line but still have Unlimited Data on the that you transferred the Ugrade from?

    So you let Line B use the Upgrade from Line A and A has their contract extended but still has Unlimited Data?

    How many of your lines had Unlimited Data when you started? If both had unlimited Data and you transferred the Upgrade from one to use on your line, the 1st line should have their contract extended and be the one giving up Unlimited Data.
  17. #42  
    Bond32's Avatar

    Posts
    1,356 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    Quote Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
    So you're saying that you took an Upgrade from a line that had Unlimited Data and transferred that Upgrade to another line but still have Unlimited Data on the that you transferred the Ugrade from?

    So you let Line B use the Upgrade from Line A and A has their contract extended but still has Unlimited Data?

    How many of your lines had Unlimited Data when you started? If both had unlimited Data and you transferred the Upgrade from one to use on your line, the 1st line should have their contract extended and be the one giving up Unlimited Data.
    Yes. We have 4 lines, 3 with unlimited and a dummy line before this. To do what I wanted only took two. My line had the upgrade and I moved the upgrade to another line.

    Currently our contract now has 2 unlimited data lines, mine being one of them.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt
  18. #43  

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    Thanks for the clarification. So was it your line that had their contract extended, or the other line?

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  19. #44  
    Bond32's Avatar

    Posts
    1,356 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    My line has the contract under the old terms which includes unlimited data. The line that I transferred the upgrade to is now on a 2 gig plan and is back to its old upgrade date.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt
  20. #45  

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    Quote Originally Posted by Bond32 View Post
    My line has the contract under the old terms which includes unlimited data. The line that I transferred the upgrade to is now on a 2 gig plan and is back to its old upgrade date.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    It's great that you got it to work for you. I was told by two different people previously that whatever line is eligible for the Upgrade is the one that loses the Unlimited Data.

    My line is eligible for an upgrade and I was told if I transfer that upgrade to my 2nd line that, the contract on my line would be extended and I would lose unlimited data. However, in your situation, I should be able to transfer the upgrade to the 2nd line, extend the contract on my line for 2 years, and it would be the 2nd line that would need to choose a new data plan but they would keep their existing upgrade date.

    That definitely changes things. I thought that whatever line had their contract extended would lose the unlimited data, but you said that your second line still has the same upgrade date they had before.

    My apologies for doubting you. Have a nice Thanksgiving.
  21. #46  
    Bond32's Avatar

    Posts
    1,356 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    No problem. Believe me I had my doubts as well. Unlimited is an absolute necessity in my situation. You should also call Verizon, get them to answer too. Write down who you talked to and when so if something happens and you loose the unlimited somehow you can say we'll xxx said I wouldn't loose it.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt
  22. #47  
    Pinkman.'s Avatar

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    I'm in the process of doing the "upgrade transfer method". I went on the vzw website transferred my upgrade off my unlimited line to one of my tiered data plan lines. Online it walks you through picking a device and min/data plan for the line i transferred the upgrade to (which stayed the same with the tiered data). I paid and got the email with my order info. Now heres the part that worries me... In the email it says "order received" but it shows my unlimited line not the line that I transferred the upgrade to. It also lists all the plan features on the email as well, nowhere in the email does it say anything about upgrade transferred to my other line. I have been thinking about canceling my order but I feel like if I don't go through with it I'll never know if it works.... When I get the phone I'm just popping in my sim card in it and using it on my line, which is separate from the 2 lines that I used the "upgrade transfer method" with. Hope this makes sense... and if anyone has any input or insight into this method let me know!! My note2 ships soon!
  23. #48  
    Nakrohtap's Avatar

    Posts
    884 Posts
    ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    Quote Originally Posted by Bond32 View Post
    No problem. Believe me I had my doubts as well. Unlimited is an absolute necessity in my situation. You should also call Verizon, get them to answer too. Write down who you talked to and when so if something happens and you loose the unlimited somehow you can say we'll xxx said I wouldn't loose it.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    When exactly did you do your upgrade? If I recall correctly, people were still managing to upgrade this past summer without losing their unlimited data. I don't think it's possible anymore. You must have had some glitch that allowed you to upgrade and not lose unlimited.
    Basically, if you activate a phone on the unlimited line by any other means than using the upgrade for that line, you can keep unlimited. Once you use that line's upgrade, no matter where this phone goes (another line, on eBay, etc.), you lose unlimted on that upgrade line. If you are using a "dummy" line, you are basically on that upgrade schedule for one of your unlimited lines.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  24. #49  
    Bond32's Avatar

    Posts
    1,356 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

    Default Re: Question about upgrades and unlimited data....

    Quote Originally Posted by Nakrohtap View Post
    When exactly did you do your upgrade? If I recall correctly, people were still managing to upgrade this past summer without losing their unlimited data. I don't think it's possible anymore. You must have had some glitch that allowed you to upgrade and not lose unlimited.
    Basically, if you activate a phone on the unlimited line by any other means than using the upgrade for that line, you can keep unlimited. Once you use that line's upgrade, no matter where this phone goes (another line, on eBay, etc.), you lose unlimted on that upgrade line. If you are using a "dummy" line, you are basically on that upgrade schedule for one of your unlimited lines.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    As I stated a few posts back, no I did not hit a glitch or upgrade before the plan changes. I did the upgrade switch back in early October. And if you read my post you will see you are incorrect. When you use the upgrade you loose unlimited data on that line. Transferring upgrades, what Verizon calls alternate upgrades, will not cause your specific line to loose unlimited data but the line you transfer it to will loose unlimited data.

    Again if you have any doubts about what I said call Verizon. Its highly possible that in the near future the will put a stop to this.

    Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Question About Voice and Data?
    By Preach2k in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-03-2011, 05:25 PM
  2. Question about contracts and data caps
    By goldkear in forum Verizon
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-30-2011, 10:49 PM
  3. Questions about emails and moving emails
    By chris19798 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2010, 01:47 PM
  4. Questions about Android and Email
    By Stevie#AC in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2010, 04:17 AM
  5. Question About Scenes and Sense
    By sconrad308 in forum HTC Hero
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-01-2009, 09:38 AM

Posting Permissions