1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default $900 bill all from texting? WTF!?

So I just received my Verizon bill. I'm on a Galaxy Nexus, have been with Verizon Wireless for years and years...never in my life have I ever received such a high bill and fort text messaging at that. I'm still on their unlimited data plan (haven't been moved over to the new stuff yet).

According to the bill, I sent 10,000+ text messages. Is that even possible? Occasionally I get text messages from friends..even pictures now and then and I always remain well below my 1500 message plan. I use Gtalk for any extensive conversations so I don't use up any SMS points.

So....WTF is going on here? What happened? Is this a possible mistake and how would I go about fighting against this? I've never seen such a high amount on my bill so obviously it's an immediate red flag.

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.2.1

Default Re: $900 bill all from texting? WTF!?

First off why don't you get unlimited TXT if you use it that much?

Second off, call them and tell them there must be a mistake and ask for a billing of all in/out messages.

I myself use about 200 txt msgs per day only texting with my gf so 10000 is not a very big number.

Or maybe you got some virus in your phone or some crappy app that sends msgs in the background?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forum
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I don't text that much, there in lies the problem. I don't text that much so how in the hell would I get a whopping 10,313 text messages in a span of a month? That's some 343 messages a day for 30 days straight. I don't text that much at all.

How can I tell if there is some kind of rogue program on my phone that is possibly sending texts out?

ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by sushiglobster View Post
    I don't text that much, there in lies the problem. I don't text that much so how in the hell would I get a whopping 10,313 text messages in a span of a month? That's some 343 messages a day for 30 days straight. I don't text that much at all.

How can I tell if there is some kind of rogue program on my phone that is possibly sending texts out?
    You didn't mention if you are rooted or not, but CM10 has a security setting that will let you set a limit on the number of messages any app can send within a certain time limit. Since this is a feature within the ROM, you may be able to find a stand alone app that does the same thing.
    I am sure you would be aware if it was yourself going over the limit since you would know if your texting patterns have changed.
    Good luck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.2.1

Quote Originally Posted by sushiglobster View Post

Ask VZW for a billing of text messages. They will give you a list of all incoming and outcoming messages so you will know the phone numbers which were texting with you.

My girlfriend had once an issue with Sprint that her phone was sending each message 10 times.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

If u try and fight it to no avail pledge you want to switch to unlimited text messeging and if i do prorate it for last month so u dont have to pay...usually they will help u out if u are polite

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Android4life

I have personally seen that certain apps will do case this issue. I saw somewhere that a lady had 900 messages sent in 2 hours, and she on average sent 300 messages a month. Turned out is was a rogue app.

Quote Originally Posted by emoeskaite View Post

I myself use about 200 txt msgs per day only texting with my gf so 10000 is not a very big number.
    200/day just to your gf?
    Wtf is wrong with you 2?

---
    Never had an iphone, and don't want one. Tapatalk on Samsung GS3.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE

We once had sort of the same problem. We told them we wanted unlimited texting, but they put it as like a texting whenever thing so they charge per message. They billed us over $300. So we called them and they changed it. They should hopefully do the same thing for you too.
    Good luck!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

The issue is anything is possible! This is why I would check your status on things one time a week. I do this with my new att account. They have not screwed up yet but they will one day! They all do. But I have unlimited texts so my only issue will be data. But I don't go any where near my 3gig limit. Normally I use about 1-1.5gigs a month. But I still watch it anyways just to be sure!
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!