Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Droid3r
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Question Upgrading and the "Talk & Text + Data" promo

    I've seen a few posts that people say you can upgrade (with subsidy) and keep the $20 data discount provided by the Talk & Text + Data promo. But has anyone successfully done this? I realize that would mean giving up unlimited data and switching to a tiered data (2GB), but I think it might be worth it for me since I don't use that much data.

    Does doing this on one line affect the unlimited data currently on other lines?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Upgrading and the "Talk & Text + Data" promo

    Try and let us know.
    Im keeping my $69.99 for talk/text/data promo and will pass it on as the family jewel

    iSheep... iSheep... Meowww that's Apple
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  
    mesocyclonic's Avatar

    Posts
    207 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Upgrading and the "Talk & Text + Data" promo

    Quote Originally Posted by phantomog View Post
    Does doing this on one line affect the unlimited data currently on other lines?
    Upgrading doesn't affect unlimited on other lines.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Upgrading and the "Talk & Text + Data" promo

    the wording is as long you dont touch your plan minutes text and data youll keep getting your discount... however upgrading at a subsidy forces the data change from unlimited to 2GB(or however amount you decide)and thus the posibility exists that the discount promo plan will be taken off.

    i dont see myself taking a subsidy ever again with verizon. your $199 new phone is not worth lising your promo discount/savings and unlimited data(living in the age of data) over it.

    iSheep... iSheep... Meowww that's Apple
    Eclipse2K likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Upgrading and the "Talk & Text + Data" promo

    Quote Originally Posted by Droid3r View Post
    the wording is as long you dont touch your plan minutes text and data youll keep getting your discount... however upgrading at a subsidy forces the data change from unlimited to 2GB(or however amount you decide)and thus the posibility exists that the discount promo plan will be taken off.

    i dont see myself taking a subsidy ever again with verizon. your $199 new phone is not worth lising your promo discount/savings and unlimited data(living in the age of data) over it.

    iSheep... iSheep... Meowww that's Apple
    Exactly, even if you upgrade every year, $20 x 12 is $220 plus the loss of unlimited data could add even more. Simply not worth it and even on a 2 year it's really not worth it. But that's if you always wait to buy on contract.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Upgrading and the "Talk & Text + Data" promo

    I spoke with a Verizon supervisor regarding the $20 discount and about how the upgrade process will effect it. Simply put - you can upgrade and keep the discount as long as you do not switch to a Share Everything plan. You're allowed to switch to a data plan with a limit as long as it's still a single line plan. I was also told that the discount applies to keeping a Talk + Text plan on our account and as long as we do so we'll keep the data.

    Still, with the risk of losing unlimited data, I'll be upgrading at full retail.
  7. #7  
    Bob61's Avatar

    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,959 Global Posts

    Default Re: Upgrading and the "Talk & Text + Data" promo

    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    Exactly, even if you upgrade every year, $20 x 12 is $220 plus the loss of unlimited data could add even more. Simply not worth it and even on a 2 year it's really not worth it. But that's if you always wait to buy on contract.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    When you have 5 lines the math changes a bit.... don't want to lose unlimited but with $400 per line subsidy it causes you to pause and reconsider.
  8. #8  
    natehoy's Avatar

    Posts
    1,711 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Upgrading and the "Talk & Text + Data" promo

    Quote Originally Posted by bob61 View Post
    When you have 5 lines the math changes a bit.... don't want to lose unlimited but with $400 per line subsidy it causes you to pause and reconsider.
    Depends on whether you ever go over on data on any of those 5 lines. If not, unlimited isn't worth it. If each of the five lines incurs one 1GB overage charge at $10, that's $50 a month. In very short order, you've just pissed your subsidy away in overage charges.

    But, yeah, if you have one or more lines on the account that NEVER go over a tiered plan and never would, you can get the subsidy and possibly even save some money if you go with a shared data plan and have everyone on the plan manage their data usage carefully.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-20-2013, 06:19 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-27-2011, 09:18 AM
  3. Right way to upgrade to the Nexus without losing unlimited data?
    By TerryMasters in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-16-2011, 11:48 AM
  4. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 07:44 PM
  5. Question about wipe data/factory reset and the like.
    By VZWBB in forum Incredible Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-13-2010, 11:47 PM

Posting Permissions