Transferring upgrades to keep unlimited data

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My aunt used my upgrade for her line in December and I lost my unlimited as it was my upgrade she used. I spent two months fighting it since I bought my phone outright in August. They refunded 25 percent of my phones cost to our Verizon account. Yay big red.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

You probably did something wrong...

The only people reporting problems are those with very low post count...

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I spoke to a representative tonight. She told me I could ADD a line to my four line share plan, 2 with unlimited data smartphones, 2 with basic. This will be the 5th line. Ordered the S4. When it arrives, I can transfer the phone to my unlimited line and keep unlimited, and activate an old basic phone on the new line. They are going to change this, but they haven't yet.
Why did you add a line when you had 2 basic lines on the family share plan? Were none of the other lines eligible for an upgrade yet?

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
No. The other 2 basic lines had phones 5 years old ( as I was transferring the upgrades to the smartphone lines in the past) well the old phones crapped out, so I used the upgrades last year before they upped the upgrade fee to $30. Adding a line was the only option, but next year when the old basic phones contract ends, you can swap numbers and end the extra line.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
When you have a line out of contract, you can cancel the contract, but request to transfer the number to another line on contract. You only have to stop paying them the extra 9.99 a month. It may cost a fee, but it can be done. My brother got an iphone 2 years ago through work on ATT. He no longer needed his personal phone. But he was on a share plan with his phone's contract expired, but the other lines still under contract for several more months and he didn't want to lose his number. So he cancelled his line (the one with the number he wanted to keep) and had them transfer the number to the other phone.

The actual phone numbers don't matter to them. It's the lines under contract. They might be annoyed about it, but they can do it. You just have to force the issue. In the end, I have 4 lines under contract. I will be adding a fifth. At any point when a contract is up, you can cancel it. The rest falls under the rules of porting phone numbers.

So if my 4 lines ended with the numbers 0001,0002,0003,0004, and the new line is 0005. When 0004's contract expires and can cancel it. I don't really want a phone number ending is 0005 so I call VZW when I want to cancel and I say I want to cancel line 0004, but I want to replace 0005's number with 0004. They can do that.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
My brother got an iphone 2 years ago through work on ATT. He no longer needed his personal phone. But he was on a share plan with his phone's contract expired, but the other lines still under contract for several more months and he didn't want to lose his number. So he cancelled his line (the one with the number he wanted to keep) and had them transfer the number to the other phone.
I have asked VZW if I could do that - switch phone numbers on an unlimited data plan - and was told no, that would cancel the unlimited data. Perhaps it is different at ATT?

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm not switching the number for the unlimited plan. I have two smartphones and two basic phones on the plan. I'm adding the S4 as a fifth line. When it arrives I will activate it on the new number, then activate a basic phone on the new number. That will remove the data plan from the fifth line, and then I'm free to use the S4 on the first line. In a year when the 3rd and 4th lines contract expires....I can cancel one of them and have the number moved to the fifth line and just get rid of the fifth number.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
When you have a line out of contract, you can cancel the contract, but request to transfer the number to another line on contract. You only have to stop paying them the extra 9.99 a month. It may cost a fee, but it can be done. My brother got an iphone 2 years ago through work on ATT. He no longer needed his personal phone. But he was on a share plan with his phone's contract expired, but the other lines still under contract for several more months and he didn't want to lose his number. So he cancelled his line (the one with the number he wanted to keep) and had them transfer the number to the other phone.

The actual phone numbers don't matter to them. It's the lines under contract. They might be annoyed about it, but they can do it. You just have to force the issue. In the end, I have 4 lines under contract. I will be adding a fifth. At any point when a contract is up, you can cancel it. The rest falls under the rules of porting phone numbers.

So if my 4 lines ended with the numbers 0001,0002,0003,0004, and the new line is 0005. When 0004's contract expires and can cancel it. I don't really want a phone number ending is 0005 so I call VZW when I want to cancel and I say I want to cancel line 0004, but I want to replace 0005's number with 0004. They can do that.

You can't swap one number to another contracted line. So if line 0004 is out of contract, and you cancel it, you lose that number. You can't move it onto a contracted line, for instance 0005. The contracts and numbers are tied to that line of service.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
No they aren't. You can request a number change at any time. I've done it. They won't let you change numbers with an unlimited data line or you lose unlimited, but for a basic phone....it's been done. My brother did it. Canceled his wife's line that was out of contract, had her number changed to his line that was under contract and ported his number to ATT.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vszvvone88