Transferring upgrades to keep unlimited data

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
So what is the *exact* procedure to transfer an upgrade to keep unlimited data on an existing line. For instance, I have 3 lines, all with unlimited data. On one line, an upgrade is available right now, and I don't care about losing unlimited on it. I want to use that upgrade to get a new phone for my line and keep unlimited data on my line. I just process the upgrade like normal on the eligible line, but then activate the new phone on my line? Is it that easy? Just pull the sim from my Thunderbolt and put it into the new phone? Do I need to get customer service involved at all?

Also, I've seen some people claiming they get an additional line for the extra upgrade, and then simply activate a dumbphone on that line and drop data. Is this really possible? I thought part of the agreement for the subsidized phone price was subscription to a minimum data plan on *that* line. The reason I ask, the line I'm "stealing" the upgrade phone is a basic flip phone (it does have a web browser I think) and data is not used at all. Can I really take the upgrade and then cancel the data plan completely to save a few more bucks?

titans30dude

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
As far as i remember unlimeted dumphone data is different then unlimited smartphone data bc in the data discription it did not say smartphone...just a thought not sure tho but u may want to make sure

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
So what is the *exact* procedure to transfer an upgrade to keep unlimited data on an existing line. For instance, I have 3 lines, all with unlimited data. On one line, an upgrade is available right now, and I don't care about losing unlimited on it. I want to use that upgrade to get a new phone for my line and keep unlimited data on my line. I just process the upgrade like normal on the eligible line, but then activate the new phone on my line? Is it that easy? Just pull the sim from my Thunderbolt and put it into the new phone? Do I need to get customer service involved at all?

Also, I've seen some people claiming they get an additional line for the extra upgrade, and then simply activate a dumbphone on that line and drop data. Is this really possible? I thought part of the agreement for the subsidized phone price was subscription to a minimum data plan on *that* line. The reason I ask, the line I'm "stealing" the upgrade phone is a basic flip phone (it does have a web browser I think) and data is not used at all. Can I really take the upgrade and then cancel the data plan completely to save a few more bucks?

1) Yes, it's that easy. Go into a VZW store if possible to make it easier. You simply upgrade that line and tell the CSR that you want to actually activate the phone on the line you're keeping unlimited on. In fact, it's possible you won't be the first one to ask the rep to do this, which should make it quick and painless.

2) Yes, you can drop the data package on the upgrading line as soon as you activate the smartphone on the other line. This is only true if you have a true basic phone on that line though; there are some "media phones" that aren't smart phones but are nonetheless required to have a data plan on Verizon. Most (if not all) flip phones would qualify to go without data, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
This is almost exactly what I did. My upgrade was up so I transfered it to a line that didn't care about unlimited data, upgraded that line, then activated the new phone on my line.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
All you have to do is use the upgrade and buy the phone you want. Then activate the new phone on the appropriate line and immediately turn around and activate it on your line. I've done this before. Its easier if you're in store but you can do it over the phone. The SIM that comes with the new phone will be used to activate it on the line with the upgrade. You will need another SIM to activate it on your line. VZW gives away Sims for free.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Thats good to know. I have an upgarde Nov.1st and its on a dumb phone. i would like to use it to get the Galaxy Note 2.

Not sure about this, if you don't have a data package on that line they may try to tell you to get the $30 package. You may have to, but you can cancel it after the note 2 is active on your line and you put the dummy phone back.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Then activate the new phone on the appropriate line and immediately turn around and activate it on your line. I've done this before. Its easier if you're in store but you can do it over the phone. The SIM that comes with the new phone will be used to activate it on the line with the upgrade. You will need another SIM to activate it on your line. VZW gives away Sims for free.

This is what I'm talking about. Some people say you have to first activate the new phone on the line that had the upgrade and THEN activate on your desired line. I'm trying to find out if you really need to activate it twice or not. Some people say you can just straight activate it on the other line.

Notrega

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
This is what I'm talking about. Some people say you have to first activate the new phone on the line that had the upgrade and THEN activate on your desired line. I'm trying to find out if you really need to activate it twice or not. Some people say you can just straight activate it on the other line.

I would activate it twice just to eliminate the possibility of then using that to cut your unlimited data. More of a pain but I wouldn't take the chance.

The second "activation" isn't really an activation but what they call an owner initiated equipment exchange.

Sent from my XT907 Scorpion_Mini

jordo_99

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
So, if I'm understanding this correctly...

Brother - new phone on 10/1/2012 and he lost his unlimited data plan
Me - new phone eligible on 12/3/2013 w/ current unlimited account.

...so I could potentially transfer my upgrade to his account...upgrade and then activate the phone on my account (I've done this manually before...it's easy on android...not sure how simple it is on a iPhone5 though). This all makes 100% sense...but what's the catch?

Would his contract then be extended from 10/1/2014 to 10/1/2016 or would mine take the extension still but just retain the same phone (to their knowledge)?

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
So, if I'm understanding this correctly...

Brother - new phone on 10/1/2012 and he lost his unlimited data plan
Me - new phone eligible on 12/3/2013 w/ current unlimited account.

...so I could potentially transfer my upgrade to his account...upgrade and then activate the phone on my account (I've done this manually before...it's easy on android...not sure how simple it is on a iPhone5 though). This all makes 100% sense...but what's the catch?

Would his contract then be extended from 10/1/2014 to 10/1/2016 or would mine take the extension still but just retain the same phone (to their knowledge)?

Did you mean to say your upgrade was available in 12/3/2012? Don't think you can transfer it till its available. Can only do this now (I think, 75% positive) for people under the same account. So if your brother is on your account and if your upgrade is eligible, you can transfer it to him (which renews your 2 year contract), upgrade a new device on his line, but activate it on your line. In the end your contract will be renewed for 2 years and you will have unlimited. This is what I did but it took the employees a long time to understand what the heck I was saying.

Little tid bit: First time I did this, I transfered my upgrade to a line with an iphone 4. They told me my mother with the iphone would have to go into the store for a new sim. Yes. They are that dumb. I said wtf iphone4 doesn't have a sim... So at my store they are not very smart. Some guy came out of no where and took care of everything and I walked out of the store the first time with a GS3 on my line and actually BOTH lines kept unlimited data. After a week I noticed serious issues with my GS3 so I took it in for a replacement. They got all weird saying the guy who did it the first time made a mistake in the system. However he activated it allowed me to keep unlimited on both lines but this was apparantly a mistake.

hokie_prof

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tried this at Best Buy? I suppose that I could buy the phone at Best Buy, using the upgrade on the phone that doesn't have unlimited data. Then, I could go to Verizon online and transfer the phone to my number. Would that allow me to salvage my precious unlimited data plan? The phone I want is much cheaper at Best Buy than it is at Verizon.

Last edited:

Christian McCarthy

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Dude you should have sold your unlimited data plan for $300 or more on eBay then just opened a new line to get the discounted phone. There is even better ways than that but this one is the simplest.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
If you upgrade a phone using another lines upgrade, then the number the phone is activated will lose it's unlimited, not the line that you used the upgrade from. Also if the phone line you are putting the phone on to is eligible for upgrade, and you try and use another phones upgrade to keep unlimited, it won't work. Verizon is cracking down, and technically by finding ways around having to use and upgrade and keep unlimited, you are cheating the system. Yes, it was there to be cheated, but now they are correcting it so you can't it seems.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Dude you should have sold your unlimited data plan for $300 or more on eBay then just opened a new line to get the discounted phone. There is even better ways than that but this one is the simplest.

This doesn't work anymore. As soon as the liability is changed on the account (also known as assumption of liability) you will lose the unlimited data.

kioko91

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
My aunt used my upgrade for her line in December and I lost my unlimited as it was my upgrade she used. I spent two months fighting it since I bought my phone outright in August. They refunded 25 percent of my phones cost to our Verizon account. Yay big red.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
My aunt used my upgrade for her line in December and I lost my unlimited as it was my upgrade she used. I spent two months fighting it since I bought my phone outright in August. They refunded 25 percent of my phones cost to our Verizon account. Yay big red.

You only have 1 post. So you registered in order to post this post? And why would you have bought your phone outright in august only to give your upgrade to your aunt in december?

trunks527

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
You only have 1 post. So you registered in order to post this post? And why would you have bought your phone outright in august only to give your upgrade to your aunt in december?

Actually they registered back in Feb 2011...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I spoke to a representative tonight. She told me I could ADD a line to my four line share plan, 2 with unlimited data smartphones, 2 with basic. This will be the 5th line. Ordered the S4. When it arrives, I can transfer the phone to my unlimited line and keep unlimited, and activate an old basic phone on the new line. They are going to change this, but they haven't yet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam