4G faster than home DSL WIFI

my3chis

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I always have my WIFI turned on at home on my cell phone. Yesterday I was sitting about a mile from home and decided to check my email on it and noticed that I have 4G near my home. I don't live in the city and the closest I have seen it before was 6 miles away. This morning I decided to run some test comparing my home DSL WIFI and Verizon's 4G. Now looking at the results I might have to now look @ changing to Verizon Hot Spot for my home i'net.

Samsung S3 results:
Home DSL WIFI: Download = 5475 Kb/s - Upload = 1835 Kb/s
Verizon 4G: Download = 11854 Kb/s - Upload = 9181 Kb/s

Laptop Results:
Home DSL WIFI: Download = 2.98 Mb/s - Upload = 1.00 Mb/s 98
Verizon WIFI: Download = 9.18 Mb/s - Upload = 1.82 Mb/s 156

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Yup, 4G is faster than my Cable modem plan as well. The big difference, however, is that my cable modem plan is capped at 250GB a month, while a new Verizon plan will be capped at about 1% of that. So it all depends on how much data you use in a given month. Well, that, and the fact that 4G coverage ends 5 miles from my house. They're talking about a new city north of me, and the current coverage is from the south, so I'm verymuch hoping they decide to just make it a continuous run between the two cities (Portland, ME and Augusta, ME - I live almost exactly halfway between them right next to the Interstate).

If you don't use a lot, you could simply tether your existing line and take advantage of the 4G speeds with little to no additional monthly expense.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
DSL is awful. That's why I have cable. But the big difference is ping. My cable is faster than LTE at 37 Down, 6 Up, 9 ping.

LTE would be about 10 down, 15 up, and a 70+ ping.

The LTE network is not optimal for online gaming. I'm not sure if you do this but if youre planning on it please don't. You probably won't see lag but the people you play with will become extremely annoyed with you since they will lag due to it. ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Zero Hunter

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I always have my WIFI turned on at home on my cell phone. Yesterday I was sitting about a mile from home and decided to check my email on it and noticed that I have 4G near my home. I don't live in the city and the closest I have seen it before was 6 miles away. This morning I decided to run some test comparing my home DSL WIFI and Verizon's 4G. Now looking at the results I might have to now look @ changing to Verizon Hot Spot for my home i'net.

Samsung S3 results:
Home DSL WIFI: Download = 5475 Kb/s - Upload = 1835 Kb/s
Verizon 4G: Download = 11854 Kb/s - Upload = 9181 Kb/s

Laptop Results:
Home DSL WIFI: Download = 2.98 Mb/s - Upload = 1.00 Mb/s 98
Verizon WIFI: Download = 9.18 Mb/s - Upload = 1.82 Mb/s 156

My experience with DSL is that it sucks monkey balls. I averaged 2-3 MB/s with ATT and paid close to $20 for it for almost a year. I was playing WOW at the time and lagged horribly in every raid.

Then hopped on post on Slickdeals about Comcast blast for $29.99 a month and never looked back. Now getting 20+ MB/S :D

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463