Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: If you're on verizon, what are you looking at as your next phone?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Something from Samsung. It's on all major carriers so development should rock.

3 9.09%
  • HTC. I prefer Sense, or can at least tolerate it until I get a stock rom

14 42.42%
  • I'm sticking with Motorola, their new phones are good enough I don't want to root anymore.

10 30.30%
  • I'll wait and see, but so far none of Verizon's offerings interest me.

4 12.12%
  • What's Root?/I don't have Verizon, but I want to see the results.

2 6.06%
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Coffee Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM9/Franco Kernal

Default What should Verizon users buy next?

With Motorola's disappointing inclusion of the bootloader/Tripwire on the Droidx (and presumably the Droid2) and their inclusion of philblur, it seems that those of us who prefer Stock Android and Rooting and are stock/prefer Verizon don't really have any options.

There is the Facinate, which seems to be totally unlocked (at least the GSM versions) but I REALLY don't like touchwiz, or HTC. I'm not a fan of either custom UI, or the build quality of those two companies, but unless something changes, I'll have to choose one of them eventually.

What about everyone else? What phones are you looking at next with Motorola's changes, or don't you care?

(Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but it seemed like a better option than the verizon subforum)
    Banned

Idk your answer but it's the wrong section
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Coffee Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM9/Franco Kernal

Would it be better in the verizon forum? It deals specifically with hacking/rooting the device, so it's not really a Verizon general question. And I don't think it would fit in the Motorola Droid/Droid2/Droidx forums either since it's not specifically for those phones.

What forum should I move it to? I'm new to the AC forums, so I'm still trying to find where everything goes.
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,825 Global Posts
    Carrier
    mean

Honestly I like the Samsung galaxy. But I think I'll wait for HTC to launch something. I know I wont buy another Motorola device. By fall we should hear more on HTC high end phone. I would get that. Screw Motorola
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Coffee Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM9/Franco Kernal

I like the look of the samsung as well.

I'm hoping Samsung or HTC take the hint (most likely HTC) and push out a Stock Android phone for Verizon, preferably with a metal build quality. Having the Stock UI alone would make their model uncontested once Verizon retires the Droid

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts

Motorola Droid Pro (coming this year) will be my next phone!
    It will have a 2GHz processor!!!! and....

- 4.3" FWVGA
    - 12MP camera
    - 720p recording
    - 1GB RAM
    - QSD 8x72
    - Android Gingerbread w/out Moto Blur
    - Not the Nexus Two
    - Front-facing camera
    Motorola Droid Pro - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

I'm not sure if I'll need root for this beast because the specs look like they'll do me fine outta the box.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

I'm an Admin and I don't even know what to do with it I'll leave it here.
    Menno likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    Coffee Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM9/Franco Kernal

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    Thanks. I was a bit confused where to put it.
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,825 Global Posts
    Carrier
    mean

Ill just say this I'm going to wait and see I hope the bootloader on the fascinate doesn't get locked down. If so I know the carrier has part of the blame. I have two upgrades in nov-dec time frame just want something open and a beast released my then.
    No moto

I'm waiting for the Samsung also. I would really like an X, but only if I can put what I want on it. If I wanted a phone that has everything a teenager could want, and no way to change it, I would buy an I-phone.

Since the Inc is only a couple of months old, and production still isn't caught up, I can't see a new HTC phone before Christmas, and then it will be huge, bloated, expensive phone.

I guess when I'm up for a phone at the end of the year, it will be a choice between the Incredible and the Fascinate, if it is rooted.

Is a stock Android Froyo interface,with free tethering and no extra useless crap, I can overclock too much to ask for?
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,825 Global Posts
    Carrier
    mean

For Motorola yes. Seems like they want to Turn android into their own proprietary os

I'm sticking wiht the Droid until......

-faster processor (2.0Ghz or dual-core or whatever)
    -4" or larger screen
    -full qwerty keyboard
    -stock android 3.0 (or whatever gingerbread is) actually on the phone, no promises of upgrades and no manufacture UIs.
    -unlocked bootloader
    -RF/IR remote (so it can be used as a universal remote)
    -good battery life (it's got to get me through a full day)

if motorola builds it....cool, if someone else builds it, that's fine with me.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    Coffee Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM9/Franco Kernal

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer033 View Post
    I'm sticking wiht the Droid until......

-faster processor (2.0Ghz or dual-core or whatever)
    -4" or larger screen
    -full qwerty keyboard
    -stock android 3.0 (or whatever gingerbread is) actually on the phone, no promises of upgrades and no manufacture UIs.
    -unlocked bootloader
    -RF/IR remote (so it can be used as a universal remote)
    -good battery life (it's got to get me through a full day)

if motorola builds it....cool, if someone else builds it, that's fine with me.
    I'd rather get one of the GoogleTV boxes to I can control everything via wifi/bluetooth. I just wish they would get rid of RF/IR
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    im shaking my head cory haha

to be honest i really don't know anymore. i would have recommended the droid pro but.... and this is a big BUT. If they do not fix the boot loader than im done with motorola. if i pay for a device shouldn't be able to do what i want with it? They being punks now and think they are the new big thing. the funny thing is a year ago they were serving crumbs now it's like they own a high class restaurant and wont let you eat anything other than steak. if you want chicken, sorry you are kicked out.

HTC better make a better phone, hardware wise because that looks like the direction ill move in if this issue with motorola doesnt get changed

Quote Originally Posted by menno View Post
    I'd rather get one of the GoogleTV boxes to I can control everything via wifi/bluetooth. I just wish they would get rid of RF/IR
    Eventually, i agree, but for now, i have remotes for my TV, DVD, Cable, Fans, Lights, VCR (yes, i still have one) and most of that stuff will never go on a network.

The Bluetooth link is an interisting idea though.....instead of the phone being the actual remote, just have a seperate RF/IR transmitter that stays in the room and the phone links to that via Bluetooth. As far as the user is concerned, the phone is controling the TV

When the next HTC phone comes to Verizon, I will be picking that up. That is, if it is better than the Incredible.