[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

So just to be clear, there's no way to do this if you have three smart phones (two of which have unlimited data and one that doesn't)? I can't transfer the upgrade to the smartphone without unlimited data? I would have to buy a dumb phone add it to my Verizon contract transfer my upgrade to it and then buy my phone with that line? Ten I guess I could cancel e dumb phone the next month? Will it still be on a month to month contract?

Treat the line without unlimited as the "dumb phone" and your'e good. Doesn't require buying another device.

tvue83

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

I was just denied this option at the VZW cor store. I have two unlimited plans with upgrades and one dumbphone with no upgrade. I said I wanted to transfer one of the unlimited upgrades to the dumbphone line. She stated that it could not be done without losing my unlimited.

I guess I'll do it online. The only thing is the phone is not available for instore pickup. Boo

They told me the same thing. I think either they don't know about this loophole or they must be told not to let customers do it.

Sent from my DROID DNA

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

If you have a family plan all with unlimited data is it better to add a dumbphone line to the family plan and then upgrade it to a smartphone or just adding a line by purchasing a subsidized phone than activating a dumbphone on it canceling the data plan and putting the new phone on an unlimited line ? If adding a dumbphone to the plan would it be month to month ?thanks for your advice !

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

If you create the 2nd line with a smartphone, I think the requirements are that you keep a data plan on it, which would cost you another $30/month. I think to minimize costs you want to do it with a dumb phone. Otherwise you have two lines, both with smartphones, both with data plans. As far as I know, any line that has a smartphone on it requires a data plan.

I thought only select retailers require you to keep the data plan. I thought Verizon stores and I believe Costco and I can't remember the third don't require you to keep a data plan on it. Maybe I'm mistaken. Any help will be appreciated.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I thought only select retailers require you to keep the data plan. I thought Verizon stores and I believe Costco and I can't remember the third don't require you to keep a data plan on it. Maybe I'm mistaken. Any help will be appreciated.

You're right. Costco and Verizon are OK if you get a subsidized device on a line and remove it and the data plan later on. I think Best Buy may be the other one you were thinking of. Costco and Best Buy work great if you have a dumb phone with an available upgrade, as it doesn't require transferring the upgrade, only transferring the new device, to a different line.

However, I don't think it's possible to transfer an upgrade from one line to another and then upgrade through a 3rd Party like Costco or Best Buy. I could be wrong, but I am also a big advocate for doing everything online through VZW.com, since it minimizes the chance for mistakes.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

If you have a family plan all with unlimited data is it better to add a dumbphone line to the family plan and then upgrade it to a smartphone or just adding a line by purchasing a subsidized phone than activating a dumbphone on it canceling the data plan and putting the new phone on an unlimited line ? If adding a dumbphone to the plan would it be month to month ?thanks for your advice !

In order to transfer upgrades to another line, it can't be eligible for a discounted phone in its own right.

1. Your best option would be to add a new line to your family share plan and use the upgrade to get any smartphone that you really want.
After activating the smartphone on the new line, you can transfer it to any of your unlimited lines that you want and keep unlimited data.
Then, activate a dumb phone on the new line.

Since the new line is locked into a 2 year contract and no longer eligible to upgrade, it'll be able to accept the transfer of upgrades from your unlimited lines.

1. Transfer the upgrade from the unlimited line to the basic line.
2. Use upgrade to get a smartphone
3. Activate smartphone on the line that formally had the dumb phone--the basic line from step #1.
4. Reactivate dumb phone on the basic line
5. Activate smartphone on the unlimited data line and keep unlimited data.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

But my question goes to the how you go about getting the added line. First, by adding a dumbphone line is it month to month ? If so is it eligible in its own right for an upgrade? Now more to how one adds the additional line. Is it better if i add it as a dumbphone line or can I just add it by purchasing a subsided smartphone and then drop the data and put a dumbphone on it ? Thanks !

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

But my question goes to the how you go about getting the added line. First, by adding a dumbphone line is it month to month ? If so is it eligible in its own right for an upgrade? Now more to how one adds the additional line. Is it better if i add it as a dumbphone line or can I just add it by purchasing a subsided smartphone and then drop the data and put a dumbphone on it ? Thanks !

Are you planning to add a new line of service? If so, when you add it, it will be eligible for an upgrade immediately since it is a new line of service.
I would never use a subsidy to get a dumb phone, so when you use the upgrade get a smartphone first. Then, after you activate it, put a dumb phone on it to get rid of the data plan. Then put the smartphone on whatever other line you want.

rawtashk

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

Ok, so I'm TRYING to get my upgrade moved over to the dumb phone line. However, every time I try (over the phone, in store, verizon chat, etc) I am told that doing that will make me lose unlimited data. They say it's because by using THAT upgrade (even if I transfer the upgrade FIRST [not alternate upgrade]) I'll have to sign a new 2 year for the line where it originated.

I'm kinda frustrated right now...is there some special term that I need to ask for to get the accomplished?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Ok, so I'm TRYING to get my upgrade moved over to the dumb phone line. However, every time I try (over the phone, in store, verizon chat, etc) I am told that doing that will make me lose unlimited data. They say it's because by using THAT upgrade (even if I transfer the upgrade FIRST [not alternate upgrade]) I'll have to sign a new 2 year for the line where it originated.

I'm kinda frustrated right now...is there some special term that I need to ask for to get the accomplished?

Honestly, part of it could be that the Verizon employees don't know about the loophole. The spirit of the original rule is that if you take a subsidy and extend your contract on that line you will lose unlimited data on that line. Using the loophole obviously goes against that.
You also have to understand that there is no reason why Verizon would want to train their employees on how to do the loophole and have people get a subsidized phone AND keep unlimited data.

You should transfer the upgrade yourself and do the upgrade online by logging into your verizonwireless.com. Either have them ship he phone to you or do an in store pickup.

epphllps

May 9, 2010
Visit site

I have the gs4 on my secondary line which is tiered at 2GB, can I swap the sim from my unlimited line to the gs4 and try it out with the unlimited data to see if I wanna keep it? I just want to be able to swap between lines and not change either plan during the 14 days.

adlx21

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

Question. I have 2 phones, one with unlimited and one without. The one with the unlimited plan has an upgrade. How can I transfer the upgrade to the basic line(without unlimited) online? I do not see the transfer upgrade option on the page where you upgrade devices. I am the account owner too.
What I want to do is keep the unlimited plan and upgrade to the S4. possible?

Last edited:

RabRabRab

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

I just wanted to explain my case to clarify if this will work, and what the exact method would be to keep my family's unlimited. We have 4 lines on grandfathered unlimited and would like to try and keep all 4 on unlimited while upgrading to new phones at subsidized prices.
So the exact way to do this would be?
1. Add a 5th basic line to the family plan
2. Use the upgrade on the new line on a smartphone.
3. Activate the smartphone on the new line.
4. Activate basic phone on the same line to drop the smartphone, and drop the data plan.
5. Activate Smartphone on desired unlimited line.
Once I have done all this I can just transfer an upgrade from another line to the 5th line, do steps 2-5, and rinse and repeat for each eligible unlimited line?
Also, what would it cost to keep the basic line on the account?
Sorry if this is very long, but it is a big deal for my family to keep their unlimited data, and they have been putting off phone upgrades just to keep the unlimited for close to a year now.

adlx21

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

AH, looks like I found the answer to my question.
I can only transfer upgrades within the account only if the upgrade is on a 2yr contract(not month to month)
Can anyone confirm this? THANKS :)

epphllps

May 9, 2010
Visit site

AH, looks like I found the answer to my question.
I can only transfer upgrades within the account only if the upgrade is on a 2yr contract(not month to month)
Can anyone confirm this? THANKS :)

I definitely didn't think this was the case. I hope someone can clarify that for me, as well.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I just wanted to explain my case to clarify if this will work, and what the exact method would be to keep my family's unlimited. We have 4 lines on grandfathered unlimited and would like to try and keep all 4 on unlimited while upgrading to new phones at subsidized prices.
So the exact way to do this would be?
1. Add a 5th basic line to the family plan
2. Use the upgrade on the new line on a smartphone.
3. Activate the smartphone on the new line.
4. Activate basic phone on the same line to drop the smartphone, and drop the data plan.
5. Activate Smartphone on desired unlimited line.
Once I have done all this I can just transfer an upgrade from another line to the 5th line, do steps 2-5, and rinse and repeat for each eligible unlimited line?
Also, what would it cost to keep the basic line on the account?
Sorry if this is very long, but it is a big deal for my family to keep their unlimited data, and they have been putting off phone upgrades just to keep the unlimited for close to a year now.

That's how I understand it, but I haven't personally heard of anyone doing it 4 times. The basic line, once you drop the data plan at the end should be $9.99 + tax per month. That line sounds like it'll have 8 years worth of a contract and you'll end up with one unlimited line that still has an upgrade available. I'm very interested in knowing if this works out that way.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Question. I have 2 phones, one with unlimited and one without. The one with the unlimited plan has an upgrade. How can I transfer the upgrade to the basic line(without unlimited) online? I do not see the transfer upgrade option on the page where you upgrade devices. I am the account owner too.
What I want to do is keep the unlimited plan and upgrade to the S4. possible?

From this screen: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...re/phoneupgrade?execution=e1s2&token=Dyu8_arZ
There should be a button under the picture of the device on your unlimited line to transfer the upgrade. None of mine are currently eligible, so I can't screenshot it. I'm not actually eligible again until August.

krazy

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Hi, I tried to transfer my upgrade from a line with an unlimited data plan to a line without an unlimited data plan and then buy a new phone. Now when I log back into my account it shows that the line with unlimited data is still pending a new device that needs to be activated. Anyone have any idea what happened? Did I lose unlimited data on that device? And if so can I call and cancel and get it back?

krazy

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Hi, I tried to transfer my upgrade from a line with an unlimited data plan to a line without an unlimited data plan and then buy a new phone. Now when I log back into my account it shows that the line with unlimited data is still pending a new device that needs to be activated. Anyone have any idea what happened? Did I lose unlimited data on that device? And if so can I call and cancel and get it back?

I called and they said as the order is currently placed I would lose unlimited data so I canceled it... I'm still confused as to how to transfer an upgrade (from an unlimited line to a line that has 2gb per month) and still keep the unlimited data on the line you are transferring an upgrade from?

krazy

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

From this screen: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...re/phoneupgrade?execution=e1s2&token=ZRPw6o8o
There should be a button under the picture of the device on your unlimited line to transfer the upgrade. None of mine are currently eligible, so I can't screenshot it. I'm not actually eligible again until August.

Becareful with this... it did not work for me and I would have lost unlimited data if I proceeded with it...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel