[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I'm on a share everything plan with the rest of the family, dad's still on his old single-line unlimited plan and paying month-to-month with it off contract, but his old 3G droid's pretty much dead. How feasible is it to get something 4G, say off ebay for instance, and upgrade with that? or will he have to stay 3G to stay unlimited?

The phone will have to be compatible with Verizon's networks (CDMA) and you can double check with their customer service or with the forums here with the specific device. He can purchase any phone he wants though, and Verizon will generate a new sim for free for use in the phone. This should not result in any contract needed and/or fees and should also automatically put the phone on LTE assuming the device is compatible. Depending on the grandfathered plan, the data fee for unlimited may be slightly different, (mine went from 29.95 to 30.00), but my data plan remained unlimted doing this as well.

He can also buy a phone from Verizon at full retail without changing the plan. The only thing that "forces" the modification of the plan is buying a subsidized device on a line that has unlimited, hence the need for the work around.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
The data fee for unlimited may be slightly different, (mine went from 29.95 to 30.00), but my data plan remained unlimted doing this as well.

So when you login to My Verizon Online it still shows you have unlimited. In the past, I know when people went from 3G to 4G or 3g to 3g, or 4G to 4G, it kept the same $29.99 data pricing for Unlimited and the feature code attached to that plan was 73715.

That's why when tiered data went unto affect it dinged people twice, not only capping your usage but raising the price as well---from $29.99 to $30

If Verizon has changed unlimited pricing from $29.99 to $30, that's news to me, but it's certainly possible.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

So when you login to My Verizon Online it still shows you have unlimited. In the past, I know when people went from 3G to 4G or 3g to 3g, or 4G to 4G, it kept the same $29.99 data pricing for Unlimited and the feature code attached to that plan was 73715.

That's why when tiered data went unto affect it dinged people twice, not only capping your usage but raising the price as well---from $29.99 to $30

If Verizon has changed unlimited pricing from $29.99 to $30, that's news to me, but it's certainly possible.

Yeah, you're right I was confusing the two lines. We're still on a plan where way pay for voice/messaging allotments and data all separately, plan is about 4 years old. My wife's data is the 4GB for 30.00 when they were running 4 for the price of 2 last winter. Mine is 29.99 for unlimited.

Tim Y

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

Will this absolutely not work if the phone is bought from a third-party like Amazon? The discount price for the phone (Droid DNA) is $50 there as opposed to $200 directly from Verizon. The price difference is pretty hard to pass up.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Will this absolutely not work if the phone is bought from a third-party like Amazon? The discount price for the phone (Droid DNA) is $50 there as opposed to $200 directly from Verizon. The price difference is pretty hard to pass up.

Yes, also keep in mind most Best Buy stores will honor amazon online prices.

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

So it will not work with Amazon but will with Best Buy? And would Best buy really shave $100 off to match Amazon's price?

It would technically work with Amazon, but Amazon has a requirement that you keep the phone (and also data plan if the upgraded line didn't have one) on the line for a period of time (6 months I think) or you have to pay an ETF to them. Best Buy has no such requirement as far as I know.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

OK, I was able to transfer my upgrade and use this method again to keep unlimited data on the lines that had it. So for now this still works.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

omar526

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

So buying a phone through Amazon won't work since they will charge you. Anyone know if it will with Newegg?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

So buying a phone through Amazon won't work since they will charge you. Anyone know if it will with Newegg?

If you buy it outright (not subsidized) you don't need to do this at all. It's amazon's mobile where they add the requirement to keep services, but as said before, you can get Amazon's price at Best Buy.

MRMAV

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

Can someone please go over the steps for an idiotic person (like myself) to understand exactly what to do if I want to keep my unlimited plan and get the upgrade. Here is what I understand.
My plan: Family plan 2 smart phones with unlimited data (one of these two line had upgrade Feb 26th) and two dumb phones that my parents use. Here is what I understand I need to do to keep my unlimited plan and get the discounted smartphone (Note II in my case) with the upgrade.

1) Transfer upgrade from Smart phone unlimited data to one of the dumb phones.
2)Go to Best Buy, have them match the Amazon price for the Note II, activate a data plan on the Dumb phone to which you add a data plan (I assume baisc 2 gigs, since it will be removed afterwards).
3)Activate the new Note II on the line of the dumb phone. (What does it mean to activate? They just sync the sim card to that line? Do I need to do anything in that process )
4) Take the sim card out of my new NOTE II smartphone and put it in the old dumbphone (that will cancel the data plan automatically?)
5) Take the sim card out of my old smartphone (the one currently on the unlimited program) and put that into the Note II.
6) How do I sync the old sim card with this new phone (Note II)
7) Am I done? Is there anything else I need to do?
I read that some person did it himself online, can you please share more details on how you did it?

Thx for all the information!! Long live Unlimited!!!

P.S My two dumb phones are Samsung SCH-u370 and Samsung Haven. I just want to verify they are both dumb, so when I activate them again it will drop the data plan automatically (I think the Samsung SCH-u370 migh actually have data option, its still not a smart phone though right? The trick should still work?)

Last edited:

Defrostmode

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

OK. First off I am getting the message
"Our records indicate you recently purchased a device for this MDN but have not activated it yet. You have the option to proceed after you have activated your new device, or you may contact Customer Service at (800) 922-0204 for further assistance."
When I go on Verizon's site to activate the dumb phone on the non unlimited line.

The only step I was able to do was activate the smartphone on the non-unlimited line... I can't move forward because I get that message when trying to do that next step. The phone IS activated. It made a call and all.

Second thing. I don't have the dumb phone that goes with that line (long story)... would a straight talk dumb phone be able to be activated on that line so the smartphone can be activated on my unlimited line? (After getting past the first problem, obviously)

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

Can someone please go over the steps for an idiotic person (like myself) to understand exactly what to do if I want to keep my unlimited plan and get the upgrade. Here is what I understand.
My plan: Family plan 2 smart phones with unlimited data (one of these two line had upgrade Feb 26th) and two dumb phones that my parents use. Here is what I understand I need to do to keep my unlimited plan and get the discounted smartphone (Note II in my case) with the upgrade.

1) Transfer upgrade from Smart phone unlimited data to one of the dumb phones.
2)Go to Best Buy, have them match the Amazon price for the Note II, activate a data plan on the Dumb phone to which you add a data plan (I assume baisc 2 gigs, since it will be removed afterwards).
3)Activate the new Note II on the line of the dumb phone. (What does it mean to activate? They just sync the sim card to that line? Do I need to do anything in that process )
4) Take the sim card out of my new NOTE II smartphone and put it in the old dumbphone (that will cancel the data plan automatically?)
5) Take the sim card out of my old smartphone (the one currently on the unlimited program) and put that into the Note II.
6) How do I sync the old sim card with this new phone (Note II)
7) Am I done? Is there anything else I need to do?
I read that some person did it himself online, can you please share more details on how you did it?

Thx for all the information!! Long live Unlimited!!!

P.S My two dumb phones are Samsung SCH-u370 and Samsung Haven. I just want to verify they are both dumb, so when I activate them again it will drop the data plan automatically (I think the Samsung SCH-u370 migh actually have data option, its still not a smart phone though right? The trick should still work?)

You've got the gist of it right. As far as activation, it means to go through the process that you do whenever you get a new phone (put in SIM, turn on phone, follow prompts). Once you've activated the phone, you should be able to use it to make a phone call to check if you've finished activation. Additionally, depending on what 4G LTE smartphone you have now, your current SIM may not work in the Note II; VZW can reprogram SIMs over the phone if you want to use the one sent to you (or so I've heard) or you can pick up a new one for your unlimited line for free at a corporate store on the off chance your current phone's SIM doesn't fit the Note II. You also need to reactivate the old dumbphone on the upgraded line as you mention at the end; be sure to verify online that the data plan is dropped even if it should be automatically; you don't want any surprises in the bill next month.

As you noted, everything from step 3 onward can be done at home online. On your Verizon account page, there are options to activate phones and change plans that you can use to move phones around to get the Note II on your unlimited line and the dumbphone back on its original line.

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

OK. First off I am getting the message
"Our records indicate you recently purchased a device for this MDN but have not activated it yet. You have the option to proceed after you have activated your new device, or you may contact Customer Service at (800) 922-0204 for further assistance."
When I go on Verizon's site to activate the dumb phone on the non unlimited line.

The only step I was able to do was activate the smartphone on the non-unlimited line... I can't move forward because I get that message when trying to do that next step. The phone IS activated. It made a call and all.

Second thing. I don't have the dumb phone that goes with that line (long story)... would a straight talk dumb phone be able to be activated on that line so the smartphone can be activated on my unlimited line? (After getting past the first problem, obviously)

Silly question, but have you tried calling customer service? Just tell them you've activated a phone, but want to switch back to your old dumbphone for a while and are getting this message. It could just be a glitch in the system.

Defrostmode

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

I haven't. Only because I was afraid they would know what I am doing and block it or something. Or they would question what I was doing not wanting my new phone activated and be of no help... I guess that will have to be my next step.

Edit: I called and told them what the site was doing. They said they could help me but said the meid number was not compatible with Verizon for the phone I wanted to activate on the line. They also wanted to know why I wanted to activate a basic lg flipphone on the line where my Galaxy note 2 currently was. I avoided the question.
Once I realized they weren't going to activate that phone on the line I asked if I would have to call back or if the website would be fixed and they "didn't know" if it would clear up and said I could always call back and they would clear everything up.

I called back after getting an old VERIZON flipphone and it didn't have a meid listed under the battery at all, so I hung up.

Edit 2: talked with a representative today that was much more helpful. Got everything switched and unlimited data still seems to be intact.

Last edited:

cyence

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

I am not on a family plan for my Thunderbolt, just a 450 minute nationwide plan for myself. Will this not work for me?

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

You would have to find out if you can add a line to your account and keep unlimited data. Most likely the first answer will be no,you may have to push a little.... As politely as possible.

If the first person doesn't do it you can always call back a couple of times, or go to a store and see if they will add a line. Just be 100% persistent that you don't want to lose unlimited.

It may not be possible, but if you try please report back your information might help others.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

atrix415

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

So after doing the upgrades. Are we required to keep the "new" phone active in either the basic or unlimited line or be charged a ETF for 2-years renewal rate? <<< I think this only applies to the line being active. (Not using the phone or activating data)?

Scenario:
Line #1 iPhone
Line #2 Basic Phone

Transfer upgrade from iPhone to Basic Phone. I buy, let say Windows Phone 8x by HTC.

Activate the phone with data using the basic line. De-activate Windows Phone 8x. Activate old basic onto Line #2.

Switch phones using vzw web portal iPhone > Windows Phone 8x.

My question is if I keep the iPhone and stop using the Windows Phone 8x will I be charged a ETF fee. Because my upgrade is using the 2-years contract rate? [vzw: Early Termination Fee: $350 (2yr contracts)]

thanks

Last edited:

atrix415

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

I think verizon fixed this loophole. I am getting "current Unlimited Data package is no longer available - Need to select a new package below..." when I am switching phones between my lines.

This is also NOT working even if I buy the phone full price.

I get, The device you've selected is not compatible with your current plan. Please select a Data Plan below. Using iPhone 4s and upgrade to iPhone 4

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781