[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

Juventino_NJ

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Correct. All you need to do is use the other basic line upgrade and order a new phone. When the new phone arrives remove the SIM that comes with it. Give the new phone to your sister and have her take it to a VAR for activation on her single line plan.

Can I order the upgrades from the two iPhone lines (separate accounts) and then swap the phones when I activate them? Will that work?

akula1488

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

just to be sure, is it safe to activate a new SIM card that comes with an unactivated S5 I just bought from Best Buy? Best Buy never got my VZW account information so I assume the new SIM card will be neutral and has no switch order information associated with it. Or activating a new SIM card always has a chance to kick me off UDP regardless of its source?
So should I try cutting down my existing SIM card first? If I damage my old SIM by doing so, then I try activating a new SIM?

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

just to be sure, is it safe to activate a new SIM card that comes with an unactivated S5 I just bought from Best Buy? Best Buy never got my VZW account information so I assume the new SIM card will be neutral and has no switch order information associated with it. Or activating a new SIM card always has a chance to kick me off UDP regardless of its source?
So should I try cutting down my existing SIM card first? If I damage my old SIM by doing so, then I try activating a new SIM?
This was a full price device you purchased? If you did not use your upgrade that will be OK.

Sent from my Note 4

uhfolks

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site

Awesome thread! I usually try to read through all the info before posting on a topic, but 300+ pages is a bit much, haha.

Here's my situation:

Currently have 4 phones on a family plan-3 with unlimited data & 1 with no data. We are wanting to upgrade the last one to a data plan. We realize we won't be able to get unlimited on the 4th, but we want to keep it on the other 3. Will using the upgrade on the 4th affect the other 3 at all?

Jamey Russell

May 26, 2015
Visit site

Just did this last week. This was my arrangement with Verizon before I used the upgrades.
Line 1: iPhone 5S 2gb monthly, upgrade available
Line 2: iPhone 5S Unlimited data (grandfather clause), upgrade available.
Line 3: Dummy line, don't even know where that phone is. upgrade available
Family Plan, all lines on same plan.

1.) Upgrade Line 1 to an iPhone 6. Feel free to do this in-store as this is a tiered line upgrade and will not affect your unlimited data line.

Once you have upgraded the tiered line, do the following:

2.) Transfer your upgrade from Line 2 to Line 1 at either Best Buy or Verizon online. Order the iPhone 6 and have it shipped to home.

3.) When new phone arrives, power off all active smartphones (i.e. the 5s on the unlimited line and 6 on the tiered line)

4.) Put the SIM from Line 1 into the new smartphone that was shipped

5.) Put the SIM from the 5s into the iPhone 6 that was active on the tiered line

Finally, turn on both 6s and enjoy!

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Can I order the upgrades from the two iPhone lines (separate accounts) and then swap the phones when I activate them? Will that work?

Yes, though, your sister's line will take a little bit more work since she only has a 4. Basically, you'll upgrade your sister's line and when the phone comes in, you'll take your current SIM and use it to activate the iPhone 6 on your line.

For your sister's line, you'll upgrade your phone and have it shipped to home. When it arrives, destroy the SIM that comes with it. Have your sister take the iPhone 6 to a VAR for activation.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

If you purchased full price, it is perfectly safe to use the SIM that came with the phone. Just follow the activation instructions.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Awesome thread! I usually try to read through all the info before posting on a topic, but 300+ pages is a bit much, haha.

Here's my situation:

Currently have 4 phones on a family plan-3 with unlimited data & 1 with no data. We are wanting to upgrade the last one to a data plan. We realize we won't be able to get unlimited on the 4th, but we want to keep it on the other 3. Will using the upgrade on the 4th affect the other 3 at all?

As long as you do not switch to a More Everything plan, upgrading the basic line to a tiered data line will not affect your unlimited lines. Additionally, this will also make it really easy to upgrade Lines 1-3 once you have a tiered line.

emorin13

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Need some help with this setup.

Line 1 - S5 UDP (upgrade eligible)
Line 2 - S5 UDP (upgrade eligible)
Line 3 - dumb phone (not upgrade eligible)
Line 4 - dumb phone (not upgrade eligible)

I want to upgrade lines 1 and 2 to an S6 edge. What are my best options?

Thanks.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I want to upgrade lines 1 and 2 to an S6 edge. What are my best options?

Thanks.

What new phones do you want? Based on your plans, you have three options: Best Buy Method, Cross-Upgrade, or Transfer to the basic lines. All of them are built off the same ideas. It's just matter of using your old SIM or reprogramming the new one.

examan2k2

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site

What new phones do you want? Based on your plans, you have three options: Best Buy Method, Cross-Upgrade, or Transfer to the basic lines. All of them are built off the same ideas. It's just matter of using your old SIM or reprogramming the new one.

I have this same scenario so i can transfer upgrade from line 1 to 3, order from best buy, then remove Sim from line 1 phone and insert into new phone and that's it? I used to have VAR to do this for me in the past but apparently verizon told them not to do it anymore.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

emorin13

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

By doing the Best Buy Method, do I have to transfer upgrades or can I purchase the phones on lines 1 & 2?

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

By doing the Best Buy Method, do I have to transfer upgrades or can I purchase the phones on lines 1 & 2?

The Best Buy Method means that you'll use Line 1's upgrade to order the new phone for Line 1. The same is true for Line 2. By going this route, you'll use the old SIM on that line. In other words, say Line 1 wanted a Note 4. You'll upgrade Line 1 ordering the Note 4. When it arrives, you'll take the SIM from Line 1's S5 and put it in the Note 4. This will directly activate the Note 4 on Line 1. If you wanted a S6, you'll need to cut your old SIM to nano in order for this method to work.

If you didn't want to cut your SIMs, then you would either upgrade on the basic lines or cross-upgrade and activate with IMEI and SIM numbers. You would only transfer your upgrade to the basic lines if you wanted to play with those lines (i.e. you didn't want to touch your unlimited lines).

The best/easiest method is based on your new phone and how comfortable you are with the methods. What are you looking to get?

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I have this same scenario so i can transfer upgrade from line 1 to 3, order from best buy, then remove Sim from line 1 phone and insert into new phone and that's it? I used to have VAR to do this for me in the past but apparently verizon told them not to do it anymore.

VARs will still move phones onto an unlimited line . It's just a YMMV situation as it's dependent on the rep you get.

What new phones do you want?

examan2k2

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site

VARs will still move phones onto an unlimited line . It's just a YMMV situation as it's dependent on the rep you get.

What new phones do you want?
Would be going from Droid 4 to Droid turbo, if the new phone is activated on a line without data can the data plan be dropped once it is transferred to the line with unlimited data?

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Looking to get the S6 Edge. Are the SIM cards different to the S5?

Yes. The S6 Edge uses a nano while the S5 has a micro. You would need to cut your existing SIM if you went with the Best Buy Method.

If you used your upgrade on a different line, you could directly activate it on your unlimited line using the IMEI and SIM numbers that come with the phone. In this process you will be reprogramming the SIM card to your unlimited plan.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Would be going from Droid 4 to Droid turbo, if the new phone is activated on a line without data can the data plan be dropped once it is transferred to the line with unlimited data?

That won't work as you'll be stuck with a data plan on the basic line if you activate the Turbo on it first. You can use an upgrade on the basic line, you'll just need to use the IMEI and SIM numbers to activate it directly onto the unlimited line and bypass the basic. This will avoid getting the data charge on the basic line.

emorin13

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Yes. The S6 Edge uses a nano while the S5 has a micro. You would need to cut your existing SIM if you went with the Best Buy Method.

If you used your upgrade on a different line, you could directly activate it on your unlimited line using the IMEI and SIM numbers that come with the phone. In this process you will be reprogramming the SIM card to your unlimited plan.

Can you elaborate on the second suggestion? I'm a little nervous cutting the SIM card. What steps must I take to upgrade on a different line and keep UDP? TIA

MGK645

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site

My scenario:

Line 1 - Note4 UDP - Upgrade Available
Line 2 - Note4 UDP - Upgrade Available
Line 3 - Dumbphone - No Upgrade
Line 4 - Dumbphone - Early Upgrade Available (non-Edge) only @ Verizon

Wife wants an iPhone 6 Plus on Line 1, best action to take? My first thought would be to use the Early upgrade from Line 4, but dont want to get screwed when it arrives with a 2 year Data plan attached to it. I have walked all the way through Line 4's upgrade, it does allow for a new 2 Year contract at contract pricing, so its definitely not only Edge pricing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995