[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

turbo54

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Upgrade question:

Line 1: RAZR MAXX - UDP - Upgrade available
Line 2: RAZR Maxx - UDP - Upgrade available
Line 3: Droid Maxx - UDP - Upgrade available
Line 4: RAZR HD - UDP - Upgrade available

Looking to upgrade line 1 to a turbo. None of the other lines need/care about an upgrade right now, but probably will in the next 6-8 months.

Is this as simple as ordering the upgrade phone for line 1 (mine) from best buy, cutting down and installing my raxr maxx SIM into the turbo and letting it rip?

tvue83

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

How are you getting the phone? Are you doing the Best Buy method? If you already ordered the phone I would advise against it. That may activate the plan change. I would just get a SIM adapter and use you current SIM card.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Thanks for the help. My phone arrived today and I swapped the sims with no issue.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

I want to know best way to upgrade..

Line1 : UDP upgradeable
Line2 : 4g 2017-6

I used my wife's upgrade(line2) last year.
But yesterday my wife's phone was broken.
SO I want to buy my wife's phone.
Which way is best way to that?
Transfer your upgrade to her line online and order the phone. Activate a normal.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

AIR-11

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site

UPDATE: Sharing this success story in case others are hesitant with my specific scenario.

I took a gamble and did something I hadn't seen talked about on here yet: Upgrade 2 lines at the same time through the same TDP line (transfer an upgrade from an UDP to the TDP and order upgrade, then do it again with another UDP through the same TDP used for the first upgrade, all in the same day). I was really worried that the system would recognize that 2 upgrades had just been ordered on the same line simultaneously and that it would mess something up, but all that worrying was for nothing, because it worked! I ended up ordering the upgrades a couple hours a part on the same day.

The Scenario:

We have 4 lines on our account, 3 with UDP and 1 with 2 GB TDP. Two people on the UDP lines wanted to upgrade at the same time and Verizon was running a Father's Day special a couple weeks back for $200 off any iPhone.

So, I transferred one of the UDP upgrades to the TDP line, went through the upgrade process and ordered the iPhone 6 Plus to be shipped to home. Got the $200 discount and phone shipped, no problem.

Then, about an hour or two later went on and transferred the upgrade from the other UDP line to the TDP line (same TDP line I used earlier in the day for the first upgrade) and ordered an iPhone 6 to be shipped to home. Got the $200 discount and phone shipped with no problems.

The first phone arrived 2 days later. Went through the process of:

1. Activating it on the TDP line first
2. Made calls, texts, surf web, etc. for an hour
3. Re-activated old phone on TDP
4. Took SIM out of iPhone 5 from UDP line and put it in new iPhone 6 Plus
5. Powered on

And we were in business! Unlimited Data still in tact.

The next day got the 2nd iPhone 6 and went through the same process as above, except was going from an iPhone 4 to iPhone 6 so didn't have a SIM to swap, so just went online and used the activate/switch service, typed in the #'s and activated just fine.

Unlimited Data in tact. This was all about 10 days ago.

We just had our new billing cycle start yesterday and still showing Unlimited for both lines.

So, just wanted to let everyone know that you can order 2 upgrades at the same time, transfer those upgrades to the same TDP line to order the upgrades, and still keep your UDP as long as you follow the proper steps everyone else has to complete the activation.

Hope this helps someone!

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Upgrade question:

Line 1: RAZR MAXX - UDP - Upgrade available
Line 2: RAZR Maxx - UDP - Upgrade available
Line 3: Droid Maxx - UDP - Upgrade available
Line 4: RAZR HD - UDP - Upgrade available

Looking to upgrade line 1 to a turbo. None of the other lines need/care about an upgrade right now, but probably will in the next 6-8 months.

Is this as simple as ordering the upgrade phone for line 1 (mine) from best buy, cutting down and installing my raxr maxx SIM into the turbo and letting it rip?

Yes, though, make sure to order the phone through Best Buy.

Posted via Android Central App

SunnyBrookShop

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site

I've been wanting to update phones on my UDPs for awhile and have been too worried I will lose them. I'm ready to take the plunge and try this, so I need some advice. I've read here quite a bit, but it gets confusing, so I'm hoping someone will take pity on me and get me up to speed.

5 line plan

#1 UDP iPhone 4 (no SIM card) - has upgrade
#2 UDP Blackberry Bold (regular SIM card) - has upgrade
#3 TDP Samsung Galaxy S3 - no upgrade until December
#4 Non-Smart Phone - has upgrade
#5 Non-Smart Phone (suspended line, not using) - has upgrade

As you can see, I have multiple upgrades, so I might as well activate those around the same time if I'm extending our Verizon contract anyway. My goal is to upgrade #1 from iPhone 4 to Galaxy S5 and upgrade #2 from Blackberry Bold to Blackberry Classic (Yeah...I know...but I don't want to give up my Qwerty keys, and I use my tablet for touchscreen and videos, etc.)

• So, my understanding is that if I can give #1's upgrade to #3, activate it on that line and use it an hour or so, and then re-activate the S3 on that line. Do I use the SIM card that comes in it when I do that? Do I get a new SIM card from the store and use that one instead? I'm not very familiar with SIM cards since I haven't used them much with CDMA phones. Where/when do I sign the new 2 year contract? After I do this, will #3 still be awarded a new upgrade in December?
  • After I manage that, I understand that I can then transfer #2's upgrade to #3 and activate the new Blackberry on #3 before putting the S3 back on #3 and then moving the new Blackberry to #2. Again...what do I need to so regarding SIM cards? That part confuses me. I am also apprehensive about whether it will allow me to switch to 4G devices, since the current UDP phones have 3G.
  • Also, everyone keeps talking about the Best Buy method. Does it have to be Best Buy? Will this work with Amazon or other retailers? Will this work if I order the phones directly from Verizon and activate here, or do they come already partially activated?
  • Lastly, I want to use my Blackberry as a mobile hotspot for my tablet. Is there a way to do this without adding the $20/month plan to my #2 phone? If mobile hotspot is already included in the TDP, is it possible to activate it and link to my tablet on it while it is active on the #3 plan? Will that connection still be allowed when I switch back to the #2's UDP with it?

Thanks in advance to the kindhearted soul who can answer my questions!

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I've been wanting to update phones on my UDPs for awhile and have been too worried I will lose them. I'm ready to take the plunge and try this, so I need some advice. I've read here quite a bit, but it gets confusing, so I'm hoping someone will take pity on me and get me up to speed.

5 line plan

#1 UDP iPhone 4 (no SIM card) - has upgrade
#2 UDP Blackberry Bold (regular SIM card) - has upgrade
#3 TDP Samsung Galaxy S3 - no upgrade until December
#4 Non-Smart Phone - has upgrade
#5 Non-Smart Phone (suspended line, not using) - has upgrade

As you can see, I have multiple upgrades, so I might as well activate those around the same time if I'm extending our Verizon contract anyway. My goal is to upgrade #1 from iPhone 4 to Galaxy S5 and upgrade #2 from Blackberry Bold to Blackberry Classic (Yeah...I know...but I don't want to give up my Qwerty keys, and I use my tablet for touchscreen and videos, etc.)

• So, my understanding is that if I can give #1's upgrade to #3, activate it on that line and use it an hour or so, and then re-activate the S3 on that line. Do I use the SIM card that comes in it when I do that? Do I get a new SIM card from the store and use that one instead? I'm not very familiar with SIM cards since I haven't used them much with CDMA phones. Where/when do I sign the new 2 year contract? After I do this, will #3 still be awarded a new upgrade in December?
  • After I manage that, I understand that I can then transfer #2's upgrade to #3 and activate the new Blackberry on #3 before putting the S3 back on #3 and then moving the new Blackberry to #2. Again...what do I need to so regarding SIM cards? That part confuses me. I am also apprehensive about whether it will allow me to switch to 4G devices, since the current UDP phones have 3G.
  • Also, everyone keeps talking about the Best Buy method. Does it have to be Best Buy? Will this work with Amazon or other retailers? Will this work if I order the phones directly from Verizon and activate here, or do they come already partially activated?
  • Lastly, I want to use my Blackberry as a mobile hotspot for my tablet. Is there a way to do this without adding the $20/month plan to my #2 phone? If mobile hotspot is already included in the TDP, is it possible to activate it and link to my tablet on it while it is active on the #3 plan? Will that connection still be allowed when I switch back to the #2's UDP with it?

Thanks in advance to the kindhearted soul who can answer my questions!

Lots of questions!! It's all good as I'll take a stab at helping out:

1.) You have the basics down. Transfer the upgrades on Line 1 and 2 to Line 3. Activate the new phone on Line 3 for an hour. Reactivate the S3 on Line 3 and then move the new phone onto either Line 1 or Line 2.
2.) You'll use the SIM card in your S3 along with the new ones that are shipped with the phones. SIM cards are re-programmable, so you'll adjust them as you follow the directions on Verizon's website. You do not need any other SIM cards besides these three.
3.) When you purchase the phone online, this is when you "sign" a new contract on the lines that the upgrade originated from. The transferring of upgrades will not affect Line 3's ability to upgrade in December.
4.) You can go from 3G to LTE phones and keep your unlimited data plan.
5.) Best Buy method involves using your current SIM to activate a new phone. It's not possible to do the Best Buy method with your current line up of phones on Lines 1 and 2 since they are 3G phones.
6.) You can only do the transfer upgrade method through Verizon or Best Buy online. These are the two sites that allow the moving of upgrades. Amazon will not work. The phones will not be activated when shipped to you. You'll need to do that yourself.
7.) The tiered data plan should have hotspot capabilities already included in the plan. This will not follow the phone to Line 2. If you want to use your unlimited plan for hotspotting, you'll need to either: (a) root the phone, (b) pay the $20 a month, or (c) try to get a 3rd party app like FoxFi to work.

Do you have any other questions?

golf1585

May 6, 2015
Visit site

Scenario:

Line 1 - IPhone 5 - UDP - upgrade eligible
Line 2 - IPhone 5c - 2gb tiered data plan - not eligible for upgrade

Want to upgrade line 1 to IPhone 6. What is the best way to do that?

Last edited:

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Scenario:

Line 1 - IPhone 5 - UDP - upgrade eligible
Line 2 - IPhone 5c - 2gb tiered data plan - not eligible for upgrade

Want to upgrade line 1 to IPhone 6. What is the best way to do that?

From either Best Buy or Verizon online:
1.) Transfer the upgrade from Line 1 to 2 and order the 6. Have it shipped to home.
2.) When the phone arrives, power off the 5c.
3.) Take the SIM from the 5c and put it on the 6. Turn on the phone and leave it on for at least an hour.
4.) Power off both the 6 and the 5 on Line 1.
5.) Take the SIM from the 6 and put it back in the 5c. Turn on the 5c.
6.) Take the SIM from the 5 and put it in the 6. Turn on the 6.

Enjoy your new phone!

sam Dub

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site

2015-07-08 11.33.05.jpg I activated my new phone with the BestBuy method 7/3/15 my billing cycle started today 7/8/15 still have UDP if this helped you make a decision please let me know

lykanlunatik

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site

Question, my current line is now eligible for an upgrade. I'm using a Droid Razr and am looking to get the Note 4. Is there anything I need to do to keep my unlimited data plan? I'm planning on doing the BestBuy method, so i'll just have to cut up the new sim card and activate my older one?

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

Question, my current line is now eligible for an upgrade. I'm using a Droid Razr and am looking to get the Note 4. Is there anything I need to do to keep my unlimited data plan? I'm planning on doing the BestBuy method, so i'll just have to cut up the new sim card and activate my older one?

If by "activate my older one" you mean insert it into the Note4 and simply complete a call, yes. No activation steps are needed.

darrylzuk

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site

To avoid a pending activation, you just need to use Line 3 and upgrade/activate on that line before moving the new phone to Line 1 or 2. Additionally, using Line 3 would prevent you from having to cut a SIM.

Thanks for the clarification. How does the method using line 3 prevent me from having to cut a sim?

davedude44

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site

I have read miscellaneous things about being able to do an assumption of liability to a family member without an account/plan on vzw or with udp. Does anyone have insight on this? I am an account manager on my mothers account where my udp line resides. I would like to transfer out the line or even the whole account to be under my ownership. Currently I do not have an account nor have i ever with Verizon.

She is considering switching services and i don't want to loose my line. Would also be nice to be able to apply a corporate discount!

Thanks

AsaSpadeSS

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

Okay I currently have an S4 with UDP on Verizon, I had the Galaxy Nexus previously and had two other Edge lines on my account. Using Verizons website I transferred the upgrade and did it that way. I now only have one other line with an S5 and the tiered data, while I have my S4 with unlimited data, and am now ready for an upgrade to the S6. What procedure do I need to follow to keep my data?

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the clarification. How does the method using line 3 prevent me from having to cut a sim?

Because you use the SIM that is shipped with the phone. SIMs can be re-programmed and this is what you end up doing when using a tiered data line.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I have read miscellaneous things about being able to do an assumption of liability to a family member without an account/plan on vzw or with udp. Does anyone have insight on this? I am an account manager on my mothers account where my udp line resides. I would like to transfer out the line or even the whole account to be under my ownership. Currently I do not have an account nor have i ever with Verizon.

She is considering switching services and i don't want to loose my line. Would also be nice to be able to apply a corporate discount!

Thanks

It all depends on the AOL rep that you get. It is still possible to assume an unlimited line, but it is definitely a YMMV situation.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Okay I currently have an S4 with UDP on Verizon, I had the Galaxy Nexus previously and had two other Edge lines on my account. Using Verizons website I transferred the upgrade and did it that way. I now only have one other line with an S5 and the tiered data, while I have my S4 with unlimited data, and am now ready for an upgrade to the S6. What procedure do I need to follow to keep my data?

1.) Using either Best Buy or Verizon online, transfer your upgrade to the S5. Order the S6 and have it shipped to home.
2.) When the phone arrives, activate it on the tiered data plan
3.) Wait at least an hour.
4.) Power off the S6 and log into Verizon online.
5.) Go to "switch or activate a device"
6.) Select the tiered line
7.) Reactivate the S5
8.) Now power off the S4
9.) Follow directions 5-7 but select the unlimited line and activate the S6.

AsaSpadeSS

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

1.) Using either Best Buy or Verizon online, transfer your upgrade to the S5. Order the S6 and have it shipped to home.
2.) When the phone arrives, activate it on the tiered data plan
3.) Wait at least an hour.
4.) Power off the S6 and log into Verizon online.
5.) Go to "switch or activate a device"
6.) Select the tiered line
7.) Reactivate the S5
8.) Now power off the S4
9.) Follow directions 5-7 but select the unlimited line and activate the S6.
Alright thanks, so nothing changed with doing it through Verizon online.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463