[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

Cringey

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

You may be able to do the whole process in store depending on the location (IF you walk the rep through the process). But your method should work too if they won't do it in store.

Thank you Mesocyclonic,
I'm just worried that I would screw myself out of the upgrade (and have to wait till July) I would do full retail but like everyone says you never know if/when VZW is going to de-grandfather the plan.

The plan will go up $40 extra a month on Share Everything, and that is not worth it for me since in 8 years we only went over our minutes twice. So paying more for less wouldn't work, like it doesn't for many!
(And $40x24 months is way over the cost of retail)

Thanks again.

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

The thing with going into the store is you can tell the rep what you want to do, and if they won't do it, you won't have wasted your upgrade. It seems like a "your mileage may vary" thing though, as some people had reps that understood as soon as they came in what they wanted to do and did it, but others were told they couldn't do it (and then did it themselves anyways).

Hope it goes well, however you do it!

tnmurdock

May 27, 2010
Visit site

And now I am back on the nationwide talk and text 700. So now I have two phones on that plan. One with unlimited and one without. I am good to go now for this process? I sure hope so.Just looked on verizon and I have an upgrade due on each line. But I should on upgrade line with flip phone. And follow instructions.

Last edited:

MDsmartphone

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

So how about if one doesn't have a basic line? I have two lines, both with unlimited data. Is my only choice to purchase a device unsubsidized from a retailer or off ebay, if I want to keep unlimited?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX, but webOS is always in me...

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

You could probably open a 3rd line for 9.99 + Tax and use that as your basic line....just an option

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

You could probably open a 3rd line for 9.99 + Tax and use that as your basic line....just an option

And doing this would give you access to an additional upgrade: you can not only transfer your upgrades from your unlimited lines, but you also get the additional upgrade from your third line...just in case you're one of those that wants the "latest and greatest" device.;)

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

I was told the other day that you can no longer transfer your upgrade and keep unlimited data at a Verizon store. This was the same guy that did it for me last time.

You cab still use the non data lines and upgrade on them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I would like to get clarification on this since I was thinking about opening a 3rd line for this purpose and you can still transfer upgrades per the website

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

I have attempted it online. Going to see what happens. I was able to transfer.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Definitely, Please let us know how it turns out. Just remember when you get the new phone to activate it on the line you tranferred the upgrade to first.

Cringey

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

I have attempted it online. Going to see what happens. I was able to transfer.

It's probably wishful thinking to ask if you have had any luck so far yet so soon.

MRMAV

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

Hi, I have 2 phones with UNLIMITED DATA and 2 "dumb" phones.

I will do the same thing as mentioned above. However, I do have a question. When you cancel the data upgrade on the "dumb" phone line, would they not ask for the device back? The upgrade is usually only on the lines that have data on them, if you cancel the data plan on that "dumb" phone, will they not ask for the device back or charge cancellation fees? Or you avoid it by transfering the upgrade from the Unlimited plan?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Hi, I have 2 phones with UNLIMITED DATA and 2 "dumb" phones.

I will do the same thing as mentioned above. However, I do have a question. When you cancel the data upgrade on the "dumb" phone line, would they not ask for the device back? The upgrade is usually only on the lines that have data on them, if you cancel the data plan on that "dumb" phone, will they not ask for the device back or charge cancellation fees? Or you avoid it by transfering the upgrade from the Unlimited plan?

No to both. They want you to keep the device and the service. The requirement to have the data plan is due to having the smart device, so when it's no longer on that line, the requirement goes with it. The contract is not for the device, it's for the line.. so as long as you don't deactivate the line, ECF is a non issue. I'm somewhat over simplifying, but they're not going to hunt down a customer for doing this.

MRMAV

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

I hope you are right! Thx for the info.

No to both. They want you to keep the device and the service. The requirement to have the data plan is due to having the smart device, so when it's no longer on that line, the requirement goes with it. The contract is not for the device, it's for the line.. so as long as you don't deactivate the line, ECF is a non issue. I'm somewhat over simplifying, but they're not going to hunt down a customer for doing this.

hehubado

May 28, 2011
Visit site

I'm due for an upgrade on my unlimited data line....I have a second dumb phone line that isn't due for an upgrade for quite some time still....how do I transfer my unlimited upgrade to my dumb line so I can retain my unlimited plan and still get the subsidized phone?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

No update yet.... Still waiting on the device, must be on back order. I will update when it comes in and I move them around.

MDsmartphone

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

Hope this works I'm due for upgrade in June.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX, but webOS is always in me...

Cringey

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

This is what I was able to do:

Best Buy: Transfer upgrade from Unlimited to dumbphone on line, added data plan.
Tell the guy to be sure not to touch the plan on unlimited. Activated new phone there.
Went home, logged in to vzw, went to switch device, and readded the dumb phone to its original line.
(They had super easy prompts to do this where the esn/imei was already saved)
Reactivated dumbphone on its line.
Went back to switch device, selected unlimited line and entered sim number from new phone, powered up new phone and once the sim re-programmed (took 20 minutes for me) I had a new upgraded unlimited phone on the line. With same contract details and contract renewed on that line till 2015.

The next day I received an email thanking me for staying with Verizon.
2 days later I received email about the plan changes and made sure the unlimited was there and still is.

christiebunny

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

I'm on a share everything plan with the rest of the family, dad's still on his old single-line unlimited plan and paying month-to-month with it off contract, but his old 3G droid's pretty much dead. How feasible is it to get something 4G, say off ebay for instance, and upgrade with that? or will he have to stay 3G to stay unlimited?