[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I successfully upgraded to an HTC One following the steps outlined on this thread. Had 4 lines, an upgrade on the non-smartphone line which I used to upgrade, activated phone on that line, then transferred to my unlimited data line. Many thanks to everyone that has posted instructions.

Now that this worked, I have a question. My unlimited line also has an upgrade available, which I didn't use because the dumb line had one available. Can I transfer this upgrade from my unlimited line to the dumb line that I just used the upgrade on and get yet another phone at the contract price? Not sure if Verizon allows two upgrades on the same line in quick succession.

Thanks.

Yes, transfer to dumb phone. Get another upgrade phone, activate it on your dumb phone line, put your dumb phone back on that line to free up the new phone then do what you wish with it. Or just keep it on that line if you wish.

Posted via Android Central App

jm610

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

Do you have to pay a $35 activation fee for all these transfers, like,

1. Activate on basic line
2. Then activate on smartphone line
3. Activate basic phone back on basic plan line

JanzC

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site

No. I only had to pay an upgrade fee of $30 when purchasing the phone. After that there should not be any extra fees.

toastayy

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Will this work if I have an individual plan? I attempted to add a line to my plan but a notification appeared stating I need to change to a tiered data plan

Sent from my HTC Resound using Tapatalk 2.

jm610

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

What's all this talk about transferring sim cards? I thought sim cards were for gsm networks like at&t. I don't think any of my basic phones or Droid Incredible have one. Do I need to get a basic phone with a sim card slot? If the sim cards are new for 4g LTE, wouldn't basic phones not have them anyway?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

What's all this talk about transferring sim cards? I thought sim cards were for gsm networks like at&t. I don't think any of my basic phones or Droid Incredible have one. Do I need to get a basic phone with a sim card slot? If the sim cards are new for 4g LTE, wouldn't basic phones not have them anyway?

Generally, it's talking about the smartphones involved in the transfer/swap process. The unlimited data device will have one if it's an LTE device and the new one will need one. The "dumb phone" will usually not have one, but can be activated just by virtue of being a previously used device on the account (in most cases the account will remember it).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I successfully upgraded to an HTC One following the steps outlined on this thread. Had 4 lines, an upgrade on the non-smartphone line which I used to upgrade, activated phone on that line, then transferred to my unlimited data line. Many thanks to everyone that has posted instructions.

Now that this worked, I have a question. My unlimited line also has an upgrade available, which I didn't use because the dumb line had one available. Can I transfer this upgrade from my unlimited line to the dumb line that I just used the upgrade on and get yet another phone at the contract price? Not sure if Verizon allows two upgrades on the same line in quick succession.

Thanks.

Yeah, you can do that and retail the device out or save the upgrade for when you want another device, etc. Gives you choices :)

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

We are on the 1440 minutes family plan with 3 smartphones and one basic phone.
Line 1: Unlimited Data and Upgrade Now
Line 2: Unlimited Data and Upgrade Now
Line 3: Unlimited Data and Upgrade in February
Line 4: Basic phone with Upgrade in 2 years.

Line 4 did have an upgrade eligibility a few weeks ago, but our line 3 used her upgrade and then transferred the phone onto her line so that she could keep her unlimited data and still buy a new phone.

My mom and I (lines 1 and 2) really want to get a new phone soon, but we have talked to many third party sellers and Verizon representatives as to what we could do in this situation as all of our 3 unlimited lines are very data hungry. Line 1 uses about 5 GBS a month on 3G, Line 2 uses about 12 GBs a month on LTE, and Line 3 uses about 10 GBS a month on LTE.

Considering our lines 1 and 2 have upgrades now, is there any way that we could use the upgrades on those lines, but activate/buy a phone on the opposite line and then transfer it back onto the other phone. What I mean to say by this is: Can line 2 use line 1's upgrade, and instead of activating the phone on line 2, activate on line 1 and still keep the unlimited data? I have heard that even if you do this, line 1 would still lose unlimited data because it is signing onto a 2 year contract.

If there is any way to pay a phone at a discounted price and still keep unlimited data, this information would be very helpful. We know that one way to keep unlimited data is to buy the phone at full retail price, but that can get very expensive, especially if we all like to have the phone with the greatest capacity. Line 1 and 2 definitely need to keep unlimited data.

Thanks for the responses!

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

We are on the 1440 minutes family plan with 3 smartphones and one basic phone.
Line 1: Unlimited Data and Upgrade Now
Line 2: Unlimited Data and Upgrade Now
Line 3: Unlimited Data and Upgrade in February
Line 4: Basic phone with Upgrade in 2 years.

Line 4 did have an upgrade eligibility a few weeks ago, but our line 3 used her upgrade and then transferred the phone onto her line so that she could keep her unlimited data and still buy a new phone.

My mom and I (lines 1 and 2) really want to get a new phone soon, but we have talked to many third party sellers and Verizon representatives as to what we could do in this situation as all of our 3 unlimited lines are very data hungry. Line 1 uses about 5 GBS a month on 3G, Line 2 uses about 12 GBs a month on LTE, and Line 3 uses about 10 GBS a month on LTE.

Considering our lines 1 and 2 have upgrades now, is there any way that we could use the upgrades on those lines, but activate/buy a phone on the opposite line and then transfer it back onto the other phone. What I mean to say by this is: Can line 2 use line 1's upgrade, and instead of activating the phone on line 2, activate on line 1 and still keep the unlimited data? I have heard that even if you do this, line 1 would still lose unlimited data because it is signing onto a 2 year contract.

If there is any way to pay a phone at a discounted price and still keep unlimited data, this information would be very helpful. We know that one way to keep unlimited data is to buy the phone at full retail price, but that can get very expensive, especially if we all like to have the phone with the greatest capacity. Line 1 and 2 definitely need to keep unlimited data.

Thanks for the responses!

As has been stated, you can transfer the upgrade online from the unlimited line to the dumb phone. Purchase the new phone on the dumb line, with 2gb data plan. Activate the new phone the dumbphone line. Then switch the phone, and cancel the data. Repeat for the second unlimited line.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Radjazz

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

I get this set of choices, then it goes to the error page if I select anything related to upgrade on any device or line. I have never seen he page you posted.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-09-01-03-17-40.png
    Screenshot_2013-09-01-03-17-40.png
    273.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_2013-09-01-03-18-24.png
    Screenshot_2013-09-01-03-18-24.png
    232.4 KB · Views: 41

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

I get this set of choices, then it goes to the error page if I select anything related to upgrade on any device or line. I have never seen he page you posted.

I had that happen to me once. Try a different computer and or browser.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

When you login does it say you're the account owner or an account member?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

D4rkShaDoWz

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

This is awesome! Hopefully this will work for me with:

Line 1: Unlimited (with upgrade)
Line 2: Unlimited (no upgrade)
Line 3: iPhone with 2 GB plan (mom's phone)

So essentially, I transfer the upgrade to Line 3, order the phone online, activate the phone on that line, then transfer the phone to Line 1.

The only question I have is that the phone I wanted to upgrade to was the Moto X. I heard it uses a nano sim of some kind, do you think this will be an issue when activating the phone on the line with the iPhone and then transferring it to Line 1? (Galaxy Nexus)

Fahrenheit38

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

Hey just wanted to check, I got a family share plan. 2 smart phones and a dumb phone. Dumb phone user needs a new dumb phone and has an upgrade. I web chatted with a rep and she said if I upgraded that dumb phone id have to select a new data plan. Is that true or is she just wrong?

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

I am still a little confused (if anyone can help me). My original post is a couple posts up on this same page.

If I do the option of "transfer upgrade" from myverizon on the Verizon Wireless website, doesn't that mean that the line that has the upgrade and unlimited data would automatically be put onto a new contract and reset with a 2 year time clock for an upgrade? I want to switch the upgrade on line 1 onto line 3, but I need to be sure that line 1 does not lose their data. I know a lot of people have had the same questions as me, but there are 45 pages of posts and I have only looked at the last 15.

Sorry if this is a double post, I just want to be very sure that I can transfer the upgrade from line 1 to line 3 and still keep unlimited data on line 1 and be able to purchase a phone a contract price and then transfer that phone back onto the line that originally had unlimited data.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I am still a little confused (if anyone can help me). My original post is a couple posts up on this same page.

If I do the option of "transfer upgrade" from myverizon on the Verizon Wireless website, doesn't that mean that the line that has the upgrade and unlimited data would automatically be put onto a new contract and reset with a 2 year time clock for an upgrade? I want to switch the upgrade on line 1 onto line 3, but I need to be sure that line 1 does not lose their data. I know a lot of people have had the same questions as me, but there are 45 pages of posts and I have only looked at the last 15.

Sorry if this is a double post, I just want to be very sure that I can transfer the upgrade from line 1 to line 3 and still keep unlimited data on line 1 and be able to purchase a phone a contract price and then transfer that phone back onto the line that originally had unlimited data.

Yes, you are still renewing the contract on the phone with the upgrade available (call this line #1) for another 2 years but because the upgrade was executed on another phone (call this line #2) you won't lose unlimited data on the line #1 phone. But if you had unlimited data on that line #2 you would lose unlimited data on that line hence why you do it on a line that you either don't care if it loses unlimited data, or is a dumb phone that doesn't have data anyway.

D4rkShaDoWz

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

Okay, so I've researched this topic a bit more and I think I got it for the most part. Let me reiterate:

Line 1: Unlimited - Galaxy Nexus - (with upgrade)
Line 2: Unlimited (no upgrade)
Line 3: iPhone with 2 GB plan (mom's phone)

1. First, I transfer the upgrade from Line 1 to Line 3. I upgrade the iPhone to the Moto X.
  2. When it gets here, I activate it on Line 3. Make sure a call goes through.
  3. Then, reactivate the iPhone.

This is where I'm concerned:

Then I go online, and go to the Switch Device page. I select the device on Line 1 and then click next. I then see a section entitled "Replace your current device by activating one without service." and select the bubble with "I am activating a device that I previously used with this account." The new Moto X should appear on the device history drop down box.

Now, after going through all that, will the SIM in the Moto X be linked to Line 1 or Line 3? I think I'll need to get a new SIM from Verizon or cut my SIM down to a Nano manually somehow. Is this correct?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7