[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I want to say wirefly but don't quote me without verifying.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

Wirefly is Simplexity's store front. Simplexity also fulfills orders for Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, Dell, Target, Overstock, Frys, Newegg, Sears, Sam's Club, circuitcity.com, TigerDirect.com, hhgregg, and Microsoft, and perhaps others.

Anything fulfilled by Simplexity would have the secondary etf.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Damasterjj

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site

Okay G2 activated.

Now I am reactivating the dumb phone on the same line. It's asking me to select a data plan for the dumb phone. Why? This basic flip phone shouldn't need a data plan.

EDIT: Alright, well I just chose the cheapest data plan at 75 MBs for 10 bux a month. I guess this is normal??
Just pick the lowest, it won't be there on the dumb line anyway.

Tapatalk mofo

wait, so is activating dumb phone now requires a data plan?

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site

Totally weird right? No idea why it asked me to choose a data plan. Still, everything is good on my end so far.

Damasterjj

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site

Totally weird right? No idea why it asked me to choose a data plan. Still, everything is good on my end so far.

well keeping unlimited is one thing and of course important but paying $10 month is another. so is there a way to remove it or you don't actually get charge unless you use it?

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Still somewhat perplexed. I have two smart phones with unlimited data.

If I go online to activate a third phone, a dumb phone, the charge is $30 a month for a "basic" phone. I'm assuming I start a new line, use it to purchase a new smartphone, pay $40 plus 2 GB data plan, activate phone...transfer it to one of my unlimited plans etc.

When all is said and done I have to put a dumb phone with a basic plan back on the new line, and remove data. But aren't I still stuck with $30 per month basic phone charge?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Can't you just add a line for 9.99 then put the New phone on unlimited line and leave New line phoneless and naked for 9.99 a month for 2 years

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

altjeff

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

So here's my situation. Will I be able to do this?

Line 1 - Unlimited 3G Plan (Iphone 4) - Eligible For Upgrade
Line 2 - 2GB 3G Plan (Blackberry) - Not Eligble For Upgrade

On Friday, I want to transfer the upgrade from Line 1 to Line 2 through Verizon's website and order the Iphone 5s. Then I want to transfer it over to Line 1 to keep the unlimited plan. I'm worried about a few things though.

1) I've never ordered a phone online/activated it myself. How do I make sure that the Iphone 5s activates on Line 2?
2) Is it a problem that both lines are 3G and the Iphone 5s if 4G? When I try to transfer it over to Line 1, will switching to a 4G plan take away my unlimited data? I've read that some people were forced to choose a tiered 4G plan in this situation.

Please let me know. Thanks for any help.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

So here's my situation. Will I be able to do this?

Line 1 - Unlimited 3G Plan (Iphone 4) - Eligible For Upgrade
Line 2 - 2GB 3G Plan (Blackberry) - Not Eligble For Upgrade

On Friday, I want to transfer the upgrade from Line 1 to Line 2 through Verizon's website and order the Iphone 5s. Then I want to transfer it over to Line 1 to keep the unlimited plan. I'm worried about a few things though.

1) I've never ordered a phone online/activated it myself. How do I make sure that the Iphone 5s activates on Line 2?
2) Is it a problem that both lines are 3G and the Iphone 5s if 4G? When I try to transfer it over to Line 1, will switching to a 4G plan take away my unlimited data? I've read that some people were forced to choose a tiered 4G plan in this situation.

Please let me know. Thanks for any help.

Transfer the upgrade. When you get the Phone follow the directions to activate it on the tiered line.

After it is activated, activate the old phone back on that line. You might have to wait 24hrs to reuse the SIM card on your unlimited line.

Sent from my maguro using Tapatalk 4

boblittle

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

Not sure if this has been mentioned, I kept seeing posts about the Verizon30 coupon code, but as I found out, it doesn't work for most of the high priced phones:

*Excludes iPhones, Droid DNA, Galaxy S4, Bundles, Tablets, Droid Ultra, Droid Maxx and Droid Mini.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Not sure if this has been mentioned, I kept seeing posts about the Verizon30 coupon code, but as I found out, it doesn't work for most of the high priced phones:

*Excludes iPhones, Droid DNA, Galaxy S4, Bundles, Tablets, Droid Ultra, Droid Maxx and Droid Mini.

I couldn't use it for the Note 3 either. Never even saw a box to enter it in the whole process.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Works on the LG G2.

- - - Updated - - -

Works on the LG G2.

sessychef

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

I need help activating my new phone. My son has the galaxy S3 with a tiered plan. I transferred my upgrade to him and bought the HTC One. I activated it on his line on the website, it told me to just swap out the sim card. I am now trying to activate it on my unlimited line that has an iphone 4 on it. When I go through the steps it is asking for me to change my plan because the new phone isn't compatible with my current plan....help

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

I need help activating my new phone. My son has the galaxy S3 with a tiered plan. I transferred my upgrade to him and bought the HTC One. I activated it on his line on the website, it told me to just swap out the sim card. I am now trying to activate it on my unlimited line that has an iphone 4 on it. When I go through the steps it is asking for me to change my plan because the new phone isn't compatible with my current plan....help

Did you reactivate his S3 back on his line? Is your unlimited line a 3G only line?

Sent from my Razr Maxx using Tapatalk 4

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Be sure to put your son's S3 back on his line to free up the new HTC One. When you go to activate the HTC one on your unlimited line it will ask you to select a new plan, click ok but then when it shows you the choices of the plans your old unlimited plan should still be one of the choices and should say current plan. Make sure you look carefully at the list of choices for your unlimited plan. Don't click one of the Tiered data plans.

sessychef

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

My unlimited line is a 3g only line. When I go to switch device it tells me that it isn't compatible because of upgrading from 3g to 4g. It then asks me to pick a new data plan. When I try to switch back his S3, it tells me to swap out the sim cards. The same issue when activating the htc one on his line, I had to call verizon to get the htc one activated on his line.

cc1995

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

Hey guys. I got some great advice on this thread about ugrading both my wife's and my unlimited plans. I was going to knock her down to a 2 GB tiered since she doesn't use much data and then switch my upgrade to her line and have her activate it and deactivate it and then use it on my line keeping my unlimited in place. I called sales at Verizon online and they guy told me that I could just have my wife order the upgrade online and choose the 2GB tiered plan but when the phone arrives make sure that she doesn't activate it and I can take the phone and first activate it on my existing line and since she didn't activate it her plan won't change. Then when she wants to upgrade her line. I use my upgrade to order her ohone online and do the same thing. Choose the new 2GB tiered plan and when the phone arrives I make sure not to activate it on my line and just have her activate it on her line, thus my unlimited won't change since I never activated the phone on my line. Both lines contracts will extend for another two years but our unlimited data won't change since we never activated the new phones we ordered on the line we order the upgrade on. I asked him repeatedly if this would keep our unlimited plans in place and he assured me it would. I just want to check on this forum if this sounds correct and if anyone has ever tried this. It would be great if this worked since we would both get to keep our unlimited data.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Hey guys. I got some great advice on this thread about ugrading both my wife's and my unlimited plans. I was going to knock her down to a 2 GB tiered since she doesn't use much data and then switch my upgrade to her line and have her activate it and deactivate it and then use it on my line keeping my unlimited in place. I called sales at Verizon online and they guy told me that I could just have my wife order the upgrade online and choose the 2GB tiered plan but when the phone arrives make sure that she doesn't activate it and I can take the phone and first activate it on my existing line and since she didn't activate it her plan won't change. Then when she wants to upgrade her line. I use my upgrade to order her ohone online and do the same thing. Choose the new 2GB tiered plan and when the phone arrives I make sure not to activate it on my line and just have her activate it on her line, thus my unlimited won't change since I never activated the phone on my line. Both lines contracts will extend for another two years but our unlimited data won't change since we never activated the new phones we ordered on the line we order the upgrade on. I asked him repeatedly if this would keep our unlimited plans in place and he assured me it would. I just want to check on this forum if this sounds correct and if anyone has ever tried this. It would be great if this worked since we would both get to keep our unlimited data.

Thanks for confirming this as it is what I suspected which is different from the very first poster. If the originating upgrade is coming from the dumb phone or tiered data line you don't have to activate it on that line first then put the dumb/tiered data phone back on there before moving it to the unlimited line. You can just activate it on the unlimited line directly skipping several steps and avoiding the issue with SIM still attached to dumb/tiered data phone line. It is only when the originating upgrade is on the unlimited line and you transfer an upgrade to the dumb/tiered data phone do you need to activate it first on that line before taking it back off and moving to the unlimited line.

patal05

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

well keeping unlimited is one thing and of course important but paying $10 month is another. so is there a way to remove it or you don't actually get charge unless you use it?

If you call Verizon, you can get a data block added to that line since it is a dumb phone and doesn't need a data plan. Sometimes the online setup still forces you to add data, but they will remove it on the phone.

Damasterjj

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site

If you call Verizon, you can get a data block added to that line since it is a dumb phone and doesn't need a data plan. Sometimes the online setup still forces you to add data, but they will remove it on the phone.
thanks, man!

jmd471

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site

^That approach sounds fishy, having two unlimited lines and flip flopping the upgrades...almost sounds like you would lose both?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49