[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

lucasbuck

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Here's my issue, because I'm dumb and all confused. I have 4 lines, 1 smart, 3 plain. All are available for upgrades. I don't use a huge amount of data, except during the summer (I'm a teacher and travel, then I go over limits). I want to upgrade my smartphone to a Note 3. I talked to the store, tried telling them to switch one of the plain phones to the Note 3 (planning on moving it over later and putting the plain back on that line). They warned me right up front if I did that, I would still lose unlimited on the smartphone.
If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. But then again, maybe it's just better to look into another service. Verizon has great coverage, but I don't want to fight for a plan.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Here's my issue, because I'm dumb and all confused. I have 4 lines, 1 smart, 3 plain. All are available for upgrades. I don't use a huge amount of data, except during the summer (I'm a teacher and travel, then I go over limits). I want to upgrade my smartphone to a Note 3. I talked to the store, tried telling them to switch one of the plain phones to the Note 3 (planning on moving it over later and putting the plain back on that line). They warned me right up front if I did that, I would still lose unlimited on the smartphone.
If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. But then again, maybe it's just better to look into another service. Verizon has great coverage, but I don't want to fight for a plan.

One again you will not lose unlimited, it's better not to ask.

Go into the store or do it on line. Upgrade one if your dumbphones. Go home get online and put the dumbphone back on that line. It will free up the Note 3 plus kill the data on that line. Then just add the Note 3 to your unlimited line. You will not lose unlimited data! When you upgrade the other line don't tell them why.

Tapatalk mofo

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site

You can move the upgrade to your line via the websight. It's also better to buy on line then going into the store

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

tjrssibelle

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

i would like to transfer my upgrade to a dumb phone to buy the lg g2 but the owner of the dumb phone is out of the country for a couple of weeks. I can do the activation online, but my question is would i need the basic phone's ID to reactivate it before swapping my sim card to the lg g2?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

You can move the upgrade to your line via the websight. It's also better to buy on line then going into the store

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

You can't move an upgrade off both lines have one available.

Tapatalk mofo

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

There are many stories of Verizon store CSR's lying . This is another one of them. To avoid the hassle I would order it online. Also online you could use the verizon30 discount code and get $90 off. I'm not sure if you can use that code in the store.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

There are many stories of Verizon store CSR's lying . This is another one of them. To avoid the hassle I would order it online. Also online you could use the verizon30 discount code and get $90 off. I'm not sure if you can use that code in the store.

Not just store ones. Some of the phone ones do too.

I love when I call 611 about a billing question, or something and they try to pull the "I see that you have a lot of upgrades....is there a reason why you haven't upgraded?" To which I respond truthfully "why yes, it's because I don't want to lose unlimited data." To which they respond "Well, lets analyze your usage and see if you really need unlimited data." To which I then respond "Listen, I don't care if your 'analysis' shows I only use 1 megabyte of data, I am keeping my unlimited. Then they respond the standard "wow" followed by a chuckle and then that usually ends that...but I can see weaker folks falling for such tomfoolery.

Bubby48230

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

Hello,

I'm trying to understand this whole upgrade issue. I too have an unlimited data plan on my Bionic. I would like to upgrade to the new Note 3 but have had several Verizon salespersons tell me I would lose my unlimited data. I currently have an old LG flip phone on my account that also has an upgrade available. I know it's been covered several times here but could someone walk me though the steps I need to take in order to get the new phone and keep my Unlimited Data.

Thanks.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Hello,

I'm trying to understand this whole upgrade issue. I too have an unlimited data plan on my Bionic. I would like to upgrade to the new Note 3 but have had several Verizon salespersons tell me I would lose my unlimited data. I currently have an old LG flip phone on my account that also has an upgrade available. I know it's been covered several times here but could someone walk me though the steps I need to take in order to get the new phone and keep my Unlimited Data.

Thanks.

Look at part 1683, that is just 6 posts above yours.

Tapatalk mofo

Bubby48230

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the information.

What about the sim card? I heard that the new phones do not have a sim card in them and need to be added in the store. Would I use the card in my Bionic?
Also, would this mean that I need the flip phone number active for the next 24 months

Thanks.

Last edited:

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the information.

What about the sim card? I heard that the new phones do not have a sim card in them and need to be added in the store. Would I use the card in my Bionic?
Also, would this mean that I need the flip phone number active for the next 24 months

Thanks.

Pretty sure the Bionic is a 2FF SIM (big SIM), in which case, you'll get a new SIM card (3FF--microSIM) when you buy/upgrade your note.

When you do an alternate upgrade, the phone is under contract for 24 months, yes ($9.99 x 24...)

lucasbuck

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Quick question. If I order online to replace a dumbphone. I guess the dumbphone works until I activate the new one they send me? So do I need to do ahead and activate the Note 3 on the dumbphone line and use it, THEN go online and cancel it, readd the dumbphone, and move it to replace my smartphone? I didn't know if you had to activate the new smartphone on the old dumbphones number for a bit and use it.

(By the way, there's no simcard switching is there?)

lucasbuck

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Also, is the VERIZON30 code not working. I was trying to order online and it won't apply. 300+ for the Note 3.

lucasbuck

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

After chats and multiple phone calls, verizon30 not longer works. They gave me another code, that didn't work. Then he said that code ended yesterday. Then, more call. No code, and the Note 3 comes out close to $400. I really hate to pay that much.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Do you currently have Nationwide Family Share plan? If you do, then I recommend calling your upgrade in.

I had a similar issue when I tried the alternate upgrade at Best Buy. They had to call it in I spent a good hour waiting around.

If you do call it in, then follow the steps I (and many others, but I think I simplified it a bit...) laid out a few posts back in this thread. Tell the CSR you want an "alternate upgrade" and you do NOT want to lose unlimited data on your main line. If you do everything correctly, your dumb phone will have a 2 year contract AND you unlimited data line will remain intact and month to month. Then, should you choose and according to tx_tuff, you can transfer an upgrade to your dumb line at a later time to get another phone. Right now, we got everything we need and we can sit tight. Wife doesn't want an S4 or Note anything. S3 is good enough for her (still a good phone.)

lucasbuck

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Just an update. I was going to upgrade my moms phone, but it kept showing on Verizons site that that would kill my unlimited (a different line). I checked with Verizon on chat:
Bobby: I'm showing that if you do upgrade it will change your unlimited data
Why is that
Bobby: We do not offer the unlimited data so if you upgrade then it will ask you to change the plan and on the share plan we do not have unlimited data

So, if anyone can confirm I'm correct, I'm switching to Sprint.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12