[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

desisangel

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Question for all. The answer is probably buried somewhere in this thread, but I've been answering posts that were a couple of posts behind the question, so I figure let me do the same...

The "upgrade fee" ($30), can I get that waived? I got the activation fee waived on both my dumbphone lines, but the upgrade fee got tacked on when I did alternate upgrade. I just wanted to hear from others before I roll the dice.

Thanks guys. Oh and btw, my bill just came, and I STILL have unlimited data....considering using some upgrades to make money, but I gotta see.

If you're persistent, a rep will credit your account. Takes some effort but others have been successful and posted so.

However, there's a topic/post with an email attachment stating no upgrade fee if upgrading in October. I called in and received the credit instantly. If you did, I can dig thru my downloads and upload here :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

jlmorris

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site

My experience:
Wife had a line due an upgrade and she had a flip phone. What we had on this line was unlimited data with $20 talk and data discount. There was no way to keep unlimited data when upgrading her phone to a smartphone,so this became our "donor".

Placed upgrade order to go to LG G2, picked 2GB/month plan for her line.

Activated LG G2 on her line this morning. Called and verified $20 talk and data discount stayed on, changed her plan to the 6GB/month at $30 promo in the same call. Had to call back for the 6GB promo, first customer service rep had no clue about this promo and said it was not possible. Second CSR I contacted knew of it and switched it from 2GB/month @ $30 to 6GB/month @ $30 right away.

Verified this data plan and LG G2 was reflected on wife's line through MyVerizon this afternoon.

While online:
Turned off LG G2, and activated an iPhone 4S on her line, this was a phone I had, so I did not reactivate her flip phone on her line. I figured I would verify the $20 discount was still there and got the 6GB plan @ $30 first, then would activate the iPhone 4S on her line after that.

Did the option to switch device on my line (Droid X, unlimited data, $20 talk and data discount promo active), selected the option of using a device that was previously active on the account. The LG G2 was there in the drop down. Selected it. Entered SIM card number when prompted.

Powered up the LG G2, after a couple minutes, it was activated on my line.

Called customer service, asked her to check my line and wife's line to verify Talk and Data Discount $20 was still on there, she was not aware of the promotion so I asked her to look at "Other Promotions" on my account, she confirmed they were still there on both lines, mine was still unlimited data.

Plan is once my wife has had time to mess with the iPhone 4S and also my G2 and see what she likes better, when she is ready to make a switch, transfer my upgrade to her line and upgrade the phone to what she wants. She has to get used to the smartphone, she has gotten attached to her flip phone (Samsung Convoy), but I'm getting her into the 21st century.

Thanks to all that provided input, this was a pretty straight forward process.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

If you're persistent, a rep will credit your account. Takes some effort but others have been successful and posted so.

However, there's a topic/post with an email attachment stating no upgrade fee if upgrading in October. I called in and received the credit instantly. If you did, I can dig thru my downloads and upload here :)

I did upgrade in October...got Note 3 first day of launch.

I'm gonna shoot to have the upgrade fee waived then...if I get a rep that aint playing ball I'll get one who will. If you can point me to that email attachment, that'd be great. I'll still call in the morning at work in the meantime.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

One call, one credit! :D

Called the guy, told him I got an email...he went through the trouble of looking for it, told me it was just supposed to be for the activation fee that got waived, but he did waive the upgrade fee as well. Then while he was waiting he tried to get me to buy accessories. Told him I was good on those and thanked him anyway. Then he got into trying to sell me Verizon Edge, then I told him to stop...let's still stay friends, because it's not going to happen. Told me that I'd have spent the same amount of money in one year instead of two...told him that wasn't my issue...my issue was keeping unlimited data. When he saw what I used last month (~40GB), he pretty much apologized and stayed quiet on the Edge.

In any event, thanks! No Activation Fee, and no Upgrade Fee was paid by yours truly. I almost didn't want to push my luck...lol.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Somewhere in this thread was a caveat "except of a family shared plan." I hope that meant a shared family data plan, right? 'Cause we do share minutes and texts between four lines, but only I have data.

jlmorris

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site

Somewhere in this thread was a caveat "except of a family shared plan." I hope that meant a shared family data plan, right? 'Cause we do share minutes and texts between four lines, but only I have data.

Correct. I also have the Family Talk & Text share plan ,but each line has it's own data plan.

rogress

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site

I've got the AC Family SharePlan, smartphone unlimited data on line 1, flip phone on line 2, both on month to month. I was very close to dropping line 2 because we rarely use that phone (as a matter of fact, I keep it suspended - no billing as much as possible, which I think is 6 months out of the year). We pay $20/month for that 2nd line (flip phone).

I assume that if I use this method, I'll have to keep that 2nd line (flip phone) for 2 more years?

desisangel

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

One call, one credit! :D

Called the guy, told him I got an email...he went through the trouble of looking for it, told me it was just supposed to be for the activation fee that got waived, but he did waive the upgrade fee as well. Then while he was waiting he tried to get me to buy accessories. Told him I was good on those and thanked him anyway. Then he got into trying to sell me Verizon Edge, then I told him to stop...let's still stay friends, because it's not going to happen. Told me that I'd have spent the same amount of money in one year instead of two...told him that wasn't my issue...my issue was keeping unlimited data. When he saw what I used last month (~40GB), he pretty much apologized and stayed quiet on the Edge.

In any event, thanks! No Activation Fee, and no Upgrade Fee was paid by yours truly. I almost didn't want to push my luck...lol.

Sorry, totally forgot to come back but glad everything worked out for you. Anyone else who's interested, here's the SD thread where I got it from originally:

http://slickdeals.net/f/6319396-verizon-wireless-waived-upgrade-fee

DrewDT

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Quick question, I just ordered an LG G2 for free from Verizon with their current promo and $50 discount code. I purchased it using the dumb phone line and will activate it on that line. Is it necessary to pull the sim card from my current phone (Droid Bionic) and put it in the LG before I activate the LG on the unlimited line? I am not certain they use the same SIM cards. I am hoping I can just reactivate the dumb phone on the third line and then just transfer the LG to an unlimited line.
Thanks in advance.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Quick question, I just ordered an LG G2 for free from Verizon with their current promo and $50 discount code. I purchased it using the dumb phone line and will activate it on that line. Is it necessary to pull the sim card from my current phone (Droid Bionic) and put it in the LG before I activate the LG on the unlimited line? I am not certain they use the same SIM cards. I am hoping I can just reactivate the dumb phone on the third line and then just transfer the LG to an unlimited line.
Thanks in advance.

Almost positive (and this is without using Google) that the Bionic is a 2FF SIM card (big Sim.) Well, you tell me, is the SIM card on the Bionic the size of a thumb? If yes, then it's not fitting in the G2.

What you'd have to do is reprogram the SIM card that's coming with the G2. You can do that online. If you go a few pages back and look for my post, I go into how to do that...(either that, or wait for someone to tell you what I just answered a few page pages ago... :D )

BTW, I'm about to do the same thing...get me some Free G2 love (the code is SLICK50) so I can sell it either here or Swappa...actually, I might do it here first...I estimate I'll make a good $200-$250 profit...ehhh...

Well...I slept on that one!! Sold out...lmao.

Last edited:

givenz

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site

much thanks to those that helped me a couple months ago set up the new dummy line to keep unlimited. worked like a charm.

Now I transferred one of the upgrades from another line to the dummy line to sell that phone to recoup the costs of having to add the dummy line in order to maintain unlimited data.

Do I just activate the g2 on that dummy line then reactivate the dumbphone back like it was before and am good to go with selling the g2? Do I need to pull the sim card before selling it to potential buyer?

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

much thanks to those that helped me a couple months ago set up the new dummy line to keep unlimited. worked like a charm.

Now I transferred one of the upgrades from another line to the dummy line to sell that phone to recoup the costs of having to add the dummy line in order to maintain unlimited data.

Do I just activate the g2 on that dummy line then reactivate the dumbphone back like it was before and am good to go with selling the g2? Do I need to pull the sim card before selling it to potential buyer?

This is what I would've done...cause I know you got the G2 for free...or at most $50 (so jealous....)

1) Put the dummy phone back on line you upgraded G2 for.

2) Leave G2 in the box, sealed up.

3) Go to Swappa (or here), take your pictures with sealed box...sell it for (close to) full price...your profit should be about $200-$250 dollars.

You do NOT have to activate the G2 if you put your dummy phone back on the dummy line...it'll be considered as new, never activated. The SIM that comes with the G2 won't have your info UNLESS you activate it, which you should not do, because you will get more money for new than "mint."

(You're gonna deal with a bunch of people who did the same thing you did... :) )

Take it from a SWAPPA seller with two sales under his belt...would've been three if I got the G2 too, but I'm sure they'll be more of those kind of deals...

AImbriano

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site

Hi all. I recently managed to upgrade one of my dumb phone lines on my family share plan and switch the new phone over to my line which still has unlimited data. I have an additional line that is a non smartphone that does not have upgrade eligibility. I do however have 2 other lines that are smartphones which are eligible for upgrades. Under my verizon it gives me an option to transfer upgrades. Can i transfer the upgrade to the dumb phone and follow the existing method out there to keep unlimited data by activating it on the dumb phone line and transferring it to my wifes line.

DrewDT

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Almost positive (and this is without using Google) that the Bionic is a 2FF SIM card (big Sim.) Well, you tell me, is the SIM card on the Bionic the size of a thumb? If yes, then it's not fitting in the G2.

What you'd have to do is reprogram the SIM card that's coming with the G2. You can do that online. If you go a few pages back and look for my post, I go into how to do that...(either that, or wait for someone to tell you what I just answered a few page pages ago... :D )

BTW, I'm about to do the same thing...get me some Free G2 love (the code is SLICK50) so I can sell it either here or Swappa...actually, I might do it here first...I estimate I'll make a good $200-$250 profit...ehhh...

Well...I slept on that one!! Sold out...lmao.

Sorry you missed out on the sale, I'm sure there will be similar ones. I did go back a few pages but didn't see where you posted how to reprogram a SIM via Verizon Wireless website. I only found
"This is done by either swapping out the SIM and activating on the vzw website, or calling Verizon to reprogram the SIM to place on your dumbphone line or going to the vzw website and reprogram the sim yourself. But I can't stress this enough, it is DEVICE SWAP!!"
Do you remember the date or post number you posted this? I will continue to look but maybe I've missed it.
Thanks in advance.

Mike Nhim

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

I received a VIP mailer from Sams Club offering the S4 for .97 cents for Thanksgiving.

I have 2 smartphones and 1 basic phone.

1 smartphone is due for an upgrade, but I will be transferring the upgrade to the basic phone. I want to purchase the phone from Sams Club then transfer it to my smartphone to keep my unlimited data.

I read on page 1 of this thread that doing this switch-a-roo would not work if the phone was not purchased from a VZW store. Can someone confirm?

Hiphiphooray

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

Just want to clarify before I begin, sorry if its already been answered.

1. This entire click can be done online right? The process is just activation of new phone, deactivation, reactivation of old phone, and then activation of new phone on unlimited data account. Is that correct?

2. How do you actually get the phone in your hand to do this trick? It seems like Verizon will activate your phone for you if you bought it under contract for cheaper price. Do I let them activate it on the tiered account and then go home and deactivate, reactive old phone, and active new phone on unlimited account?

3. If I use a family members phone as the teired phone, nothing on it will change right? (family member is worried about losing pics and data etc)

Thanks

Last edited:

rogress

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site

I just did this tonight, and did it all online.

I have an old AC Family Shareplan 400.
Started with:
- Two lines, Galaxy Nexus line 1 - unlimited data, Flip phone on line 2. Both upgrade eligible

1. Ordered LG G2 last weekend, arrived today. When I ordered, ordered as upgrade to flip phone, with 2Gb data plan
2. Went online tonight, activated on line 2 (replacing flip phone).
3. Verified it was working, flip phone deactivated
4. Did the online chat to re-activate flip phone. Rep on phone just had me turn off LG G2, turn on flip phone, dial *228 on flip phone, followed prompts (had to dial twice - didn't work first time). Had to enter billing password (which is last 4 of your SSN, or if you are an alternate account manager, whatever 4 digit billing password you choose). Data plan came off automatically - verizon rep on chat says the data plan comes off automatically since its a flip phone.
5. Verified flip phone was working, no data plan on line 2.
6. Now I was back to where I started (old smartphone unlimited data line 1, flip phone line 2, new LG G2 not activated on any line)
7. Went online, selected "Activate or switch devices"
8. Pointed to my old smartphone, followed online menu, it allowed me to choose my new LG G2 (as a previously activated device). The last screen told me to take the sim out of my old smartphone (Galaxy Nexus) and put it in the LG G2. Did that, turned the LG G2 on, and all was working.
9. Finished with LG G2 line 1 - unlimited data - line eligible for an upgrade, old flip phone line 2, with a 2 year contract, old Galaxy Nexus not activated.

Notes:
a. My new LG G2 came with a sim card pre-installed and another sim card not installed. That confused me, but apparently I could use either one. I used the one that was pre-installed.
b. There can be a short delay online when you make these changes, so be a little patient.
Just want to clarify before I begin, sorry if its already been answered.

1. This entire click can be done online right? The process is just activation of new phone, deactivation, reactivation of old phone, and then activation of new phone on unlimited data account. Is that correct?

2. How do you actually get the phone in your hand to do this trick? It seems like Verizon will activate your phone for you if you bought it under contract for cheaper price. Do I let them activate it on the tiered account and then go home and deactivate, reactive old phone, and active new phone on unlimited account?

3. If I use a family members phone as the teired phone, nothing on it will change right? (family member is worried about losing pics and data etc)

Thanks

Veras

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Need some help, currently on a family plan with 4 lines. 2 lines have unlimited data and 2 lines are dumb phones. 1 unlimited line and 2 of the dumb phone lines are eligible for upgrade.

I currently have the unlimited line available for upgrade and I want to upgrade to a Moto X but do not want to lose my unlimited data. From what I have read I can use the dumb phone upgrade to get the Moto X, activate it on that line and add 2gb data, re-activate the dumb phone and data drops off allowing me to activate the Moto X on my unlimited line keeping the unlimited data.

Now my question is now I would have 1 dumb phone with an eligible upgrade and my unlimited line with an eligible upgrade. Would it be possible for me to transfer my upgrade (unlimited line) to the dumb phone that now isn't eligible (because I used it's upgrade to save my unlimited)? If I transfer it and we use it on the dumb phone line will it kill my unlimited data?

Reason I ask this is both dumb phones desperately need to be upgraded, I want to keep my unlimited data but am hoping the above scenario will work. Appreciate any help in clearing this up!

Also if the above isn't possible is Verizon running any promo's on data that aren't advertised (i.e. they ran the 4gb data for 2gb price when I got my GNexus) and would they be eligible to be used with MotoMaker?

Thanks all!

tjrssibelle

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

I currently have the unlimited line available for upgrade and I want to upgrade to a Moto X but do not want to lose my unlimited data. From what I have read I can use the dumb phone upgrade to get the Moto X, activate it on that line and add 2gb data, re-activate the dumb phone and data drops off allowing me to activate the Moto X on my unlimited line keeping the unlimited data.

Now my question is now I would have 1 dumb phone with an eligible upgrade and my unlimited line with an eligible upgrade. Would it be possible for me to transfer my upgrade (unlimited line) to the dumb phone that now isn't eligible (because I used it's upgrade to save my unlimited)? If I transfer it and we use it on the dumb phone line will it kill my unlimited data?

This won't take away your unlimited data, I just did that a few days ago to get the g2 (I did store pick up and the sales associate did all the work since they wouldn't let me leave without activating the phone)...as long as you activate the phone on the dumb line first then you are good to go

The max plan is available with 6gb of data for same $30 if you wanted to give up unlimited...but that's not required since you can do the steps above

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk 2

Veras

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

This won't take away your unlimited data, I just did that a few days ago to get the g2 (I did store pick up and the sales associate did all the work since they wouldn't let me leave without activating the phone)...as long as you activate the phone on the dumb line first then you are good to go

The max plan is available with 6gb of data for same $30 if you wanted to give up unlimited...but that's not required since you can do the steps above

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the quick response! That's what I figured but will I then in turn be able to transfer my unused upgrade to the dumb phone for them to use without it affected my unlimited data?

Sorry for the paranoia!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge