[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I bought from Motorola, as no contract, to keep my unlimited data.
then there is no issue. If you bought a no contract phone, you can activate it right away on your unlimited data line. The only time there is an issue is if you have an upgrade available on an unlimited data line and want to use that upgrade to get a subsidized phone.

Gunit4U

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

Just call that # on paper enclosed, don't worry about going on Verizon's website? Xmas gifts for my wife & I!!

NBAJ2K

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site

From what I have been told, you have to call the 1-877 number to get a hold removed from the IMEI of your phone. They do that to deter theft of the devices prior to activation. But once you can make calls, your IMEI is in their database as an activated phone with no hold on the IMEI.

go back in the thread, others have had this happen and all was fine. The key thing is getting the phone up and running on verizon's system on the non-unlimited line.

It's a PITA when this happens and may require phone calls but once activated on the non-unlimited data line you are fine. Getting the system to clear the pending activation so you can do the switch may take some phone calls. This seems to only happen when an iPhone is involved in the process.

You have been beyond helpful. Thanks a ton for this!

-J

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Just call that # on paper enclosed, don't worry about going on Verizon's website? Xmas gifts for my wife & I!!
yes - a no contract phone does not cause any issue with verizon unlimited data plans. It is only the subsidized phones when they involve an upgrade from an unlimited data line that you have to worry about.

gharri30

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

My sister finally got in about 9:30 last night. Finally got to go through the process and so far so good. I'll continue to keep an eye on our account to make sure nothing weird happens. Thanks for all the help.

budmonster

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

1) Obtain a used Verizon basic phone (I got mine from ebay);
2) Log onto Verizon wireless online;
3) Select Add a Device;
4) Add a 32GB iPhone 5s to your cart, pick the 2GB data plan and check out;
5) When the iPhone 5s arrives, activate it on the new line (Line 3) by following the included directions;
6) Put the basic phone on Line 3 by logging into verizon online and selecting Myverizon, switch or activate a device and following the directions (i.e., type in the IMEI of the basic phone, etc.);
7) Put the iPhone 5s on Line 1 by logging into verizon online and selecting Myverizon, switch or activate a device and following the directions (i.e., type in the IMEI of the iPhone 5s, type in the SIM card number of the iPhone 5s, etc.);
8) Transfer Line 1's upgrade to Line 3 and repeat Steps 4-7 but this time get an 16 GB iPhone 5c for your wife and substitute Line 2 for Line 1 in Step 7; and
9) Transfer Line 2's upgrade to Line 3 and repeat Steps 4-6 but this time get an iPhone 5s to sell to recoup the cost of Line 3.

Step 9 is optional. You can instead stop after completing Step 8 and save the unused upgrade on Line 2 to get a new phone next year or whenever you want a new phone.

If the phones you currently have on Line 1 and 2 have the same size SIM cards as the new iPhones, you can accomplish Step 7 by putting the current SIM cards into the new iPhones.

After you are done buying your phones, log onto verizon wireless online and make sure that the data plan dropped off of Line 3. If it has not, block data on Line 3. I was left with a 75MB data plan on my dummy line and had to call to have it removed, but you can also remove it yourself by blocking data on the dummy line.

I went on my vzw website. It said my contract is up on the 29th. I clicked on my wife's phone and it says month to month. How is her phone month to month already. My upgrade was available on 8/29 and hers 8/20. Is this going to be an issue?

And why do I need to purchase a basic phone, can't I just use the ones we are using now?

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

And why do I need to purchase a basic phone, can't I just use the ones we are using now?
You can but if your current phone is a smartphone, then Line 3 has to have at least a $30/mo data plan on it. If your current phones are basic phones, then no data plan is needed.

What are your current phones?

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

I went on my vzw website. It said my contract is up on the 29th. I clicked on my wife's phone and it says month to month. How is her phone month to month already. My upgrade was available on 8/29 and hers 8/20. Is this going to be an issue?
No issue at all. Her contract expired on 12/20 so that is why it says month to month. It won't affect upgrade transfers to the new line at all.

Droid3r

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: Bestbuy Mobile Lets me Keep Unlimited Data?

This is old news. I did it in October.. The reason you were switched back to tiered data was because the rep activated a new sim card with your new phone.. I instead opted for delivery and reused my already activated simcard(GALAXYBS III) with the new LG G2

sent from my humongous VZW HTC ONE MAX

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

The reason you were switched back to tiered data was because the rep activated a new sim card with your new phone.. I instead opted for delivery and reused my already activated simcard(GALAXYBS III) with the new LG G2
That's good to know. So as long as the SIM card has already been activated on another phone on the line, you didn't lose unlimited data?

Droid3r

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site

Yes. If you want to avoid calling Verizon to reinstate unlimited data.. I suggest you opt for delivery and activate new phone with your old simcard yourself

sent from my humongous VZW HTC ONE MAX

budmonster

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

You can but if your current phone is a smartphone, then Line 3 has to have at least a $30/mo data plan on it. If your current phones are basic phones, then no data plan is needed.

What are your current phones?

HTC Rezound & Droid X2...old, old phones but still considered smart phones. So I guess I do have to find 2 basic phones, I might have to try craiglist because I need something quick. What happens if I do nothing when the 29th comes around, what happens to my current plan and phones? Does everything stay the same but I just will be off contract now and can cancel at any time without any ETF?

And with your guide, I have to do one phone at time. So I have add 1 first, order my iPhone, once I get it do all those steps. Then once mine is done, order hers and do the same? Also, I talked to my parents, they would be willing to use the "basic" phones so they are not just sitting around. Is that possible? They wouldn't need data or anything. I just got to find out how much 2 extra lines a month will cost.

Last edited:

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

HTC Rezound & Droid X2...old, old phones but still considered smart phones.

Yes, so any line they are on would have to have a data package.

So I guess I do have to find 2 basic phones
huh? No, you need ONE basic phone. You are only adding ONE new line (Line 3).

There are two other options if you don't want to use the new line (Line 3) for a basic phone:

1) Put the ghost ESN on the new line (Line 3); or
2) Pay the ETF + activation fee and cancel the new line (Line 3) after you are done with the upgrades.

Personally, I like having the basic phone available for use should I lose my phone or other reason. For me, I keep it in my mom's car. She is forgetful and that way if she ever forgets her phone, there is always a phone in her car. I remember to periodically charge it when I drive her around in her car.

WRT Option 1 above, the ghost ESN = 13800000400. You can do it yourself online or call and ask for it to be done. I have read some verizon reps say you aren't allowed to do that, but plenty of people do it. Then you don't need a basic phone on the line, but still pay for it at the rate of $9.99 + tax and fees. Again, I would rather just have an extra line with a basic phone on it to use should I need it.

WRT to Option 2 above, for me the added line is $312 for 24 months so keeping the added line is cheaper than the EFT ($350). But don't forget you can get 3 subsidized phones when you add a line by transferring and using the current upgrades on the unlimited data lines and then of course when you add a line you get a subsidized phone. You can sell 1 of the 3 and recoup the cost of the added line or the ETF.

What happens if I do nothing when the 29th comes around, what happens to my current plan and phones? Does everything stay the same but I just will be off contract now and can cancel at any time without any ETF?
Yes, exactly. Everything stays the same and you can cancel at any time.

And with your guide, I have to do one phone at time. So I have add 1 first, order my iPhone, once I get it do all those steps. Then once mine is done, order hers and do the same? Also, I talked to my parents, they would be willing to use the "basic" phones so they are not just sitting around. Is that possible? They wouldn't need data or anything.
Yes, that is possible. Just give them the phone to use. But they will be sharing your minutes and if you aren't on unlimited texting, they will run up text charges if they text. If you are on unlimited texting, then they won't run up charges for texting but will be sharing your minutes. A 1400 minute family plan you can do Friends and Family to help prevent them from using too many of your minutes.

Verizon Friends and Family FAQs

Of course, all calls to/from a Verizon wireless phone don't count against your 1400 minutes, but checking voicemail does as does a non-Verizon customer calling you and getting sent to voicemail.

Be sure to block data on the line to prevent them from accidentally using data on the phone.

I just got to find out how much 2 extra lines a month will cost.
I really don't understand after all I wrote why you think you need 2 added lines. You don't. You need 1 added line. I never mentioned a 2nd extra line. Only 1 extra line (Line 3).

Last edited:

budmonster

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

We have a 2 phones with upgrades available on the 1400 minute plan with unlimited data. both phones are on the same plan. I went on BB.com and see what would happened if I tried upgrading through them. I attached pictures. Looking at the pictures it seems that my data would stay the same, at least that's what is shows? Would this work for my wife and I? I couldn't figure out how to order/upgrade both of our lines though on BB. I couldn't add both to the cart. Any idea how I can do this?

bb1.pngbb2.pngbb3.png

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

We have a 2 phones with upgrades available on the 1400 minute plan with unlimited data. both phones are on the same plan. I went on BB.com and see what would happened if I tried upgrading through them. I attached pictures. Looking at the pictures it seems that my data would stay the same, at least that's what is shows? Would this work for my wife and I?
If you activate the phones using the SIM cards they come with, YOU WILL BE SWITCHED OFF OF UNLIMITED DATA. It may not happen right away, but it will happen. You will be switched to a 2GB data plan.

Then you can try to argue to get it back with Verizon. Some people get it back, some don't.

Another poster mentioned that if you have a SIM card already activated on your line, if you pop it in the new phone when you activate it, you won't lose unlimited data. That poster is the first poster who has mentioned that on this forum. Whether or not it will work for anyone else, I can't say since this is the first I have heard of this.

Since the new iPhones have nano SIMs, and your current phones don't, you would need to use a SIM card cutter to cut down the Rezound SIM cards to fit the iPhone if you want to try that but you can't try that with the Droid X2 since it is a 3G phone and doesn't have an active SIM card.

But make no mistake, it doesn't matter that the best buy site says you will keep your existing plan - you will be switched off of unlimited data if you activate the new iPhones on the unlimited data lines using the SIM cards the phones come with. So do not do pickup in store - they will activate the new iPhones before they will give them to you using the SIM cards they came with AND YOU WILL LOSE UNLIMITED DATA NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY. Verizon does that automatically in their system and Best Buy can't stop it from happening.

I couldn't figure out how to order/upgrade both of our lines though on BB. I couldn't add both to the cart. Any idea how I can do this?
Do it one at a time then in separate orders.

Last edited:

budmonster

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

I really don't understand after all I wrote why you think you need 2 added lines. You don't. You need 1 added line. I never mentioned a 2nd extra line. Only 1 extra line (Line 3).

My fault I keep thinking I need to add 2 phones since I was upgrading 2 phones, LOL. I was looking at my bills, checking my monthly data usage.

I checked my bills for for 2012 and up until now, here are the GB usuage for just my my line. I didn't list the 2 line's data usage (my wifes phone) but I looked at my wife's and she around 1-1.5GB average. I use a lot more due to the fact that my son uses my phone too when we are out. The highest I've ever went was around 14GB it says but that was just 1 month. Do you guys think doing the dummy line to just to keep unlimited data is a waste of money and time? Isn't there a special promotion going on right now where Verizon gives each line 6GB of data to use if you switch from unlimited? Also, we don't even use that many minutes, we are never close to 1400 minutes, are all Verizon plans now unlimited minutes & text?

2013:

Bill Period: October 23, 2013 - November 22, 2013
.81218GB

Bill Period: September 23, 2013 - October 22, 2013
2.99594GB

Bill Period: August 23, 2013 - September 22, 2013
4.67530GB

Bill Period: July 23, 2013 - August 22, 2013
5.17864GB

Bill Period: June 23, 2013 - July 22, 2013
1.85785GB

Bill Period: May 23, 2013 - June 22, 2013
1.82415GB

Bill Period: April 23, 2013 - May 22, 2013
3.68185GB

Bill Period: March 23, 2013 - April 22, 2013
2.67369GB

Bill Period: February 23, 2013 - March 22, 2013
2.86153GB

Bill Period: January 23, 2013 - February 22, 2013
7.60007GB

Bill Period: December 23, 2012 - January 22, 2013
(12/23 - 01/01) 8.19697GB
(01/02 - 01/22) 5.47685GB

2012:

Bill Period: December 23, 2012 - January 22, 2013
(12/23 - 01/01) 8.19697GB
(01/02 - 01/22) 5.47685GB

Bill Period: November 23, 2012 - December 22, 2012
5.70679GB

Bill Period: October 23, 2012 - November 22, 2012
5.30144GB

Bill Period: September 23, 2012 - October 22, 2012
10.31294GB

Bill Period: August 23, 2012 - September 22, 2012
7.27072GB

Bill Period: July 23, 2012 - August 22, 2012
6.94757GB

Bill Period: June 23, 2012 - July 22, 2012
(06/23 - 07/17) 3.59141GB
(07/18 - 07/22) 1.04709GB

Bill Period: May 23, 2012 - June 22, 2012
1.04599GB

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Do you guys think doing the dummy line to just to keep unlimited data is a waste of money and time?
Absolutely not. It's free if you get all 3 of the subsidized phones and sell one of them. I just sold a 16GB iPhone 5s and netted more than my added line cost me over 2 years even if I had paid full price for it. Right now they are $125 at best buy, so you could actually make money on the deal.

Isn't there a special promotion going on right now where Verizon gives each line 6GB of data to use if you switch from unlimited?

Yes, but you have to ask for it and make sure they do not put you on the EDGE program. All you want is to trade your unlimited data for 6GB for the same $30/mo, nothing else changed.

Also, we don't even use that many minutes, we are never close to 1400 minutes, are all Verizon plans now unlimited minutes & text?
All of the Share Everything plans are, but you would not be switching to those. You would keep your family share plan but your data would drop down to 6GB from unlimited data for the same price and you would be allowed to use your upgrades.

So drop your minutes to 700 but keep in mind, at 700 minutes, no friends and family.

As for the amount of data you use, the Droid X2 is a 3G phone, and it is pretty hard to use much data on 3G due to the slow speed of Verizon's 3G network. So you can't compare what someone used on 3G to what they will use on 4G LTE.

Also, none of us can predict what future technology/apps will do to our desire to consume data. I think of my efforts to hang onto unlimited data as future proofing my data costs.

And 14GB is a heck of a lot of data that 1 month. Were you streaming video or music or tethering? Quite frankly, you use way more data than I do and I would not give up my unlimited data if for no other reason than I hate having to check to see if I am getting close to my limit.

budmonster

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

1) Put the ghost ESN on the new line (Line 3); or
2) Pay the ETF + activation fee and cancel the new line (Line 3) after you are done with the upgrades.

Dumb question. Using that ghost ESN, do I still need to buy a basic phone? If I do need a basic phone why cant I just buy it off VZW.com, I see phones for $0 with 2yr contract?

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Dumb question. Using that ghost ESN, do I still need to buy a basic phone?

No.

If I do need a basic phone why cant I just buy it off VZW.com, I see phones for $0 with 2yr contract?
Because it makes no financial sense to do that. Here I will do the math, but again, I have mentioned the fact that you can get 3 subsidized phones and sell one to recoup the cost of the added line so that it is FREE several times.

If you get a $0 basic phone, the cost of the added line (Line 3) is $9.99 + taxes/fees x 24 months + $36 activation fee. Where I live, that is $312 + $36 = $348.

If you do it my way and buy a used basic phone for $20 and get an extra iPhone 5s to sell from best buy for $125, they are selling for $610-$650 on swappa.com now. Where I live you don't pay tax on the full value of the phone like in California, so where I live at best buy I could get a new iPhone for $132.50 + $36 activation fee = about $170. Add in the $20 for the basic phone and the cost is $190.

Assume I could only sell the extra iPhone 5s for $610. The swappa fee is $10, paypal fees are $18 and to ship signature required and insured, about $20 depending how far away you are shipping to. So after paypal fees, swappa fees and shipping fees, I net about $560. Then I paid $190 for it, the activation fee and the basic phone so I net $370. But the added line only costs me $348 for 2 years, so I actually made about $20 by doing it this way.

If you sell the extra iPhone 5s on craig's list, you may be able to do even better because no swappa, paypal or shipping fees.

So which makes more sense to you - to get a free basic phone but pay $350 for the next 2 years for the added line or to get a used basic phone and an extra iPhone 5s and earn enough by selling the extra iPhone 5s to pay for the cost of the added line for 2 years and actually make an additional $20 off the deal as well as having a FREE added line with a basic phone on it?

And you can still do it my way and get an extra iPhone 5s and use the ghost ESN instead of buying a used basic phone. Then you would make $40, but of course, you don't have a spare basic phone to use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy