[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

rawtashk

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Ok, so yesterday I upgraded my dad's basic phone just like in the steps. Got the GS4, activated it, then dropped it off, put his phone back on (he doesn't want a smartphone anyway), and then activated it for myself. Kept unlimited data like a baws.

So, now my wife wants the GS4. MY line is eligible for an upgrade, so I figure I can just transfer the upgrade to my dad's line and do the same steps. However, I've now talked to 3 different VZW people, and even went into Best Buy and asked their mobile guys...and they ALL say that it won't work. I'll lose unlimited data if I do that because technically I'm still using the upgrade on my phone.

Is there some special magical way to ask nicely for this to make it work?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Ok, so yesterday I upgraded my dad's basic phone just like in the steps. Got the GS4, activated it, then dropped it off, put his phone back on (he doesn't want a smartphone anyway), and then activated it for myself. Kept unlimited data like a baws.

So, now my wife wants the GS4. MY line is eligible for an upgrade, so I figure I can just transfer the upgrade to my dad's line and do the same steps. However, I've now talked to 3 different VZW people, and even went into Best Buy and asked their mobile guys...and they ALL say that it won't work. I'll lose unlimited data if I do that because technically I'm still using the upgrade on my phone.

Is there some special magical way to ask nicely for this to make it work?

You can complete it yourself online or via customer service over the phone; exactly like the first time. Transfer the upgrade the dumb phone line, upgrade the dumb phone to the phone you want (requires you to select a data plan, choose the cheapest), activate the new phone on the dumb phone line, activate the dumb phone on the dumb phone line, drop the data plan from the dumb phone line, activate the new phone on your unlimited line.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Mannnnnn...you guys just don't understand the level of happiness I achieved upon stumbling on this thread. But before I just jump into this I have a bunch of questions as I absolutely cannot afford to lose my unlimited data plan.

So here's the situation, I have a Galaxy s3 as my primary phone, and I have a Samsung Hue basic phone on the plan too. It's actually still being used by one of my grandparents(if that matters) anyway. Now both phones are due for an upgrade or have been for quite some time, at least a year.

If I'm understanding correctly, in order to keep my unlimited data plan, I need to take the Hue into the store, and get the upgrade discount with that, then once I have my upgraded phone, I just switch it over to my unlimited line?

Please help, looking to actually get this done today if possible. Also, I have like 8 days left on my contract cycle so if this works I should know if I'm good within 8 days. Right?

Your plan should work. Upgrade the Hue (requires selecting a data plan), activate the new phone on the Hue's line, activate the Hue on the Hue's line, drop the data plan, activate the new phone on your unlimited line.

rawtashk

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

You can complete it yourself online or via customer service over the phone; exactly like the first time. Transfer the upgrade the dumb phone line, upgrade the dumb phone to the phone you want (requires you to select a data plan, choose the cheapest), activate the new phone on the dumb phone line, activate the dumb phone on the dumb phone line, drop the data plan from the dumb phone line, activate the new phone on your unlimited line.

The first time I used HIS upgrade. The time I would use MY upgrade, but transfer the upgrade to HIS line. I'm told that, since it's originally from my line, I would still lose unlimited data. False?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I would do it online myself, but If your dad's line is just a basic line, or a smartphone with tiered data, it will work.

1. Login to your VZW account and transfer the upgrade from your line to your dad's line.
2. Complete the order under your dad's line and select in store pickup if you want to (to still get the instant gratification factor)

3. I've heard the stores will not allow you to pickup a subsidized device without activating it in the store. Assuming it's true, I would have them activate the new phone on your dad's line and then leave....since these people work on commission and may not want to go through the next steps with you, since it takes time, or say you can't do that.....

4. Login to your account at home and reactivate your dad's original device or call customer service and ask them to do it for you.
5. Activate the new phone on your wife's line. This may just involve putting her old sim in the new phone
6. Have a happy wife and lots of brownie points that will come in handy when the GSV is released and you want to buy it. :)
7. Watch your account to ensure your wife's line keep the unlimited data.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

The first time I used HIS upgrade. The time I would use MY upgrade, but transfer the upgrade to HIS line. I'm told that, since it's originally from my line, I would still lose unlimited data. False?

yes, false. it doesn't matter where the upgrade originates.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

If you follow the steps I outlined above, it's false but but here is where it gets tricky:

When you used his upgrade, you were upgrading his line directly and then transferring the device to a different line. This is how an alternate upgrade is processed UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES and also how most people are trained to do it.

With your wife's situation, you are NOT upgrading your line directly if you transfer the upgrade to your dad's line first, but if the upgrade isn't transferred and your line is upgraded directly, you will lose unlimited data.

Now some reps may understand the correct procedure and assist you will transferring the upgrade, others may not know how, and yet others may not want to because they know that they have been told not to.

I would just follow the steps I outlined and transfer the upgrade yourself and do an in store pickup. If you have questions about how to transfer the upgrade yourself, let me know.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

Just went to Costco and salesperson asked me if I needed help. I said I wanted to upgrade but didn't want to lose unlimited data. Salesperson said no problem. Got new phone at subsidized price and retained unlimited data! Had three upgrades available (1 dumb and 2 unlimited). Now my phone is still unlimited with new 2 year contract. Whew!!!

So my understanding is that the technique in this thread only works if there is at least one dumbphone line upgrade available. We have four smartphone lines and that's it, so there's no other way to get around it I presume (discounted upgrade and still retaining unlimited)?

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

I picked mine up in store (after ordering online) and walked out without activating it. I also walked out without my mail in rebate, but that's another issue :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Android Central Forums

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

So my understanding is that the technique in this thread only works if there is at least one dumbphone line upgrade available. We have four smartphone lines and that's it, so there's no other way to get around it I presume (discounted upgrade and still retaining unlimited)?

Assuming they're all unlimited, you have 2 options:

1. You can get a new line added to the account and cycle upgrades through that line because it'll have a tiered plan on that line (this will work up to 5 total lines on the account, so if you have 4 and only 4 lines, you're good)
2. You can buy phones at full price, financed by Verizon. This requires a down payment, usually similar to the subsidized price and you pay the remainder off over 24 months with a $2 charge per month.

If any of them are not unlimited, you can use them in place of a dumb phone, same concept.

idgara007

May 26, 2013
Visit site

Assuming they're all unlimited, you have 2 options:

1. You can get a new line added to the account and cycle upgrades through that line because it'll have a tiered plan on that line (this will work up to 5 total lines on the account, so if you have 4 and only 4 lines, you're good)
2. You can buy phones at full price, financed by Verizon. This requires a down payment, usually similar to the subsidized price and you pay the remainder off over 24 months with a $2 charge per month.

If any of them are not unlimited, you can use them in place of a dumb phone, same concept.

we have a family plan with 3 unlimited data lines. One of the lines doesnt matter if they lose unlimited data, so can I do the upgrade on their line, lose the unlimited, then transfer the phone to my line? will this work just fine? and what are the benefits of doing this at costco?

epphllps

May 9, 2010
Visit site
[Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I just got my individual unlimited line converted to a share plan and I need to add a line as it still just has one phone line. I have an old basic phone from 2007 which is an lg env vx9900. Would they be able to activate that phone on an additional line and then I upgrade that line with a smartphone? Do basic phones now have certain requirements to be activated on their network since that phone is so old? Thanks

Last edited:

SirLance99

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site

I was just denied this option at the VZW cor store. I have two unlimited plans with upgrades and one dumbphone with no upgrade. I said I wanted to transfer one of the unlimited upgrades to the dumbphone line. She stated that it could not be done without losing my unlimited.

I guess I'll do it online. The only thing is the phone is not available for instore pickup. Boo

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Has anyone actually accomplished converting a single line to a nationwide family share plan by merging a new line or is that just nonsense that I keep reading? Thank guys

It is definitely possible to take a single Nationwide plan with unlimited data and add another line and change it to a Nationwide share plan, while retaining unlimited data. I've done it. Obviously, you'll need to do it over the phone. Nationwide single line customers are NOT required to go to share everything if they want to add anther line.

I've actually got a line on my Nationwide family plan that I am looking to get rid of. It is eligible for an upgrade now and the contract expires in 6 weeks. If you want to take it over, only on the condition that they will let you make it part of a NATIONWIDE family share plan, let me know or PM me.

You could upgrade the line directly and transfer the phone to your unlimited line. Then, later on, you could transfer your unlimited line's upgrade to that line, and upgrade again. Regardless, it is possible.

Norman Wong

May 25, 2013
Visit site

Wirefly absolutely does. Wirefly is simplexity's store. Simplexity does fulfillment for Dell, Microsoft, Newegg. TigerDirect, sams club, radio shack, and many others. Any cell store owned or fulfilled by simplexity would have the $400 charge secondary etf

My family plan has three unlimited lines and two regular lines. All five phones have expired their contracts and are ready to upgrade. I upgraded one of the regular lines to an S4 at Radioshack yesterday and I was planning on switching back to the old phone and giving the S4 to one of the unlimited plan lines. After I read your comment about having a secondary, early termination fee if I switched phones, thus downgrading the data plan, I tried to locate the fine print without success. I do see a regular ETF of $175 per line or up to $350 on advanced devices. Please help to confirm the secondary ETF because I have three days left to return the phone and get my activation fee back. I would prefer to return it today if this does not work out. If it comes down to returning the phone, then I would have to wait for Costco's online deal restock.

I do still have a question, and unfortunately, I could not read through so many pages to search for the answer, but I think I understand the main process. Let's say A, B, and C have unlimited data, but D and E are regular lines. My hope would be to upgrade the D line to the S4, then revert back to the old phone to free up the S4 to switch over to line A. What is the best way to go about that? I heard that activation can be done online and that activating a new phone would automatically deactivate the current phone on that line. Would another option be to go to a Verizon location and have an associate swap phones/lines? Lastly, could I also call Verizon Customer Service and have them perform an EDM (I forgot the term) swap?

Thanks in advance to every reply. Much appreciated!

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Norman Wong

May 25, 2013
Visit site

Yep, transfer upgrade (you can do that online), upgrade the phone (can be done online or in the store), activate the new phone on the line you bought it on (the dumb phone line), reactivate the dumb phone on that same line (de-activates the new device), then you have the new device not tied to anything, the dumb phone on the "dumb" line, all that's left is to remove the data plan from the dumb phone line and activate your new device on the unlimited line. Lots of posts with the specifics of the process. Good luck!

I did not read anything about having to transfer upgrade first in the original instructions on page 1. I thought you just upgrade on dumbline. What is the deal with this transfer? Is it really needed?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I did not read anything about having to transfer upgrade first in the original instructions on page 1. I thought you just upgrade on dumbline. What is the deal with this transfer? Is it really needed?

If you have a dumb line with an available upgrade, you don't need to transfer the upgrade to another line, so, to answer your question, the transfer is not really needed. All you would need to do is upgrade the basic line to a smartphone, activate it on that line, then reactivate the dumb phone and then activate the smartphone on the unlimited line.

However, transferring the upgrade is needed, and necessary to keep unlimited data when your dumb phone is not eligible for an upgrade but your smartphone is. Anytime, you want to use an upgrade on a smartphone with unlimited data, you must transfer the upgrade to another line first, or lose unlimited data.

tnmurdock

May 27, 2010
Visit site

After having just accomplished this with getting the S4...I have two lines one dumbphone line and my unlimited. both were month to month. When I spoke with the person at verizon corporate store she said NO problem with the dumbphone and I was out of there in about 10 minutes with the s4 on my unlimited and the dumbphone back on it's line. All this was accomplished without the dumbphone even being there. She stated if and when I was ready to transfer the upgrade and do it again. Come and see her. She did say it was trickier but she does it every day.

Norman Wong

May 25, 2013
Visit site

If you have a dumb line with an available upgrade, you don't need to transfer the upgrade to another line, so, to answer your question, the transfer is not really needed. All you would need to do is upgrade the basic line to a smartphone, activate it on that line, then reactivate the dumb phone and then activate the smartphone on the unlimited line.

However, transferring the upgrade is needed, and necessary to keep unlimited data when your dumb phone is not eligible for an upgrade but your smartphone is. Anytime, you want to use an upgrade on a smartphone with unlimited data, you must transfer the upgrade to another line first, or lose unlimited data.

Ohhh ok I got you. The whole transferring makes sense to me now. Thanks for clearing that up!

krazy

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

So just to be clear, there's no way to do this if you have three smart phones (two of which have unlimited data and one that doesn't)? I can't transfer the upgrade to the smartphone without unlimited data? I would have to buy a dumb phone add it to my Verizon contract transfer my upgrade to it and then buy my phone with that line? Ten I guess I could cancel e dumb phone the next month? Will it still be on a month to month contract?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000