[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I have tried both options..."activating a device that I have not used with this account and, I am activating a device that I previously used with this account". It did show as previously used on the account when I tried it that way.
but it goes straight to "Your Device Change request failed and cannot be completed online. Please contact Customer Service at 1.800.922.0204"
that number is the 3g number though. I have called 1877.807.4646, and tried the automated system, with no luck. seems the only options now are to wait til tomorrow to see if there is a glitch in the system that will clear out, and/or call and talk to an actual CSR person.

I had a similar problem once. I think sometimes it takes time for the system to update and clear the phone to activate on the unlimited line (other times it's been available instantly). I was able to call and speak to a CSR person and they did something to push it through and then it was available. So you could either wait and try again later or try to get a hold of a CSR person and have them push it through.

Sakuran

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm a little confused on the process. If anyone could clear this up for me it'd be appreciated.
1) I currently have unlimited data on an S3. (refer to as S3 line)
2) There are two other phones (lines) on a share everything plan. These are dumbphones at the moment.
3) I've already gone ahead and ordered an S4 from an available upgrade from one of the dumbphones, ordered for a dumbphone line.

So, would I be able to activate the S4 onto the dumbphone line (which just got data added to it for the purchase), then reactivate the old phone on that line, switch back to a basic share everything plan, and take the phone for my S3 line while keeping unlimited data?

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I'm a little confused on the process. If anyone could clear this up for me it'd be appreciated.
1) I currently have unlimited data on an S3. (refer to as S3 line)
2) There are two other phones (lines) on a share everything plan. These are dumbphones at the moment.
3) I've already gone ahead and ordered an S4 from an available upgrade from one of the dumbphones, ordered for a dumbphone line.

So, would I be able to activate the S4 onto the dumbphone line (which just got data added to it for the purchase), then reactivate the old phone on that line, switch back to a basic share everything plan, and take the phone for my S3 line while keeping unlimited data?

Yes, that's pretty much the process. When you reactivate the old dumbphone back onto the line, the data plan will drop back off. It will then free up the S4 to then be activated onto the unlimited data line.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Love this thread. People come in new, learn the process, do it, come back and teach others how to do it. Thanks everyone that's participating in it.

Jon1029

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

I had a similar problem once. I think sometimes it takes time for the system to update and clear the phone to activate on the unlimited line (other times it's been available instantly). I was able to call and speak to a CSR person and they did something to push it through and then it was available. So you could either wait and try again later or try to get a hold of a CSR person and have them push it through.

Thanks for the info. What did u tell the CSR? Did u have to explain the whole process of how u got to this point? Or just say u were trying to activate a phone and were having a problem...?

I tried again this morning, still no luck.
Also, when I call to try to activate the new S4 , I get to a point that the system asks me to enter an order number from my receipt that starts with numbers?xxxxxxxx?....I don't have an order number that I know of, so I just hang up. That has happened both times I called to try it. Maybe I need to wait a full 24 hours....

kbi83

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site

I think I'm lost in information overload here, I just joined this forum today because I've been reading thru google how to use this process with the old verizon family share unlimited package.. Some of the forums agree and some are conflicting I've read thru the last 2 pages here which seem to be up to date. My question is I've read on another forum that bestbuy will do all the leg work because they just want to sell you a phone and if I goto verizon they want to push their tiered plan. So does best buy currently do this or do I need to do it all online? And my next question I've always had just one line so after I add a line to pick up the new S4 then I transfer it over to my unlimited line, do I need an actual dumb phone? My last dumb phone was with Cingular back in the day. I'll keep reading thru this forum and see if I can learn this process..

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I think I'm lost in information overload here, I just joined this forum today because I've been reading thru google how to use this process with the old verizon family share unlimited package.. Some of the forums agree and some are conflicting I've read thru the last 2 pages here which seem to be up to date. My question is I've read on another forum that bestbuy will do all the leg work because they just want to sell you a phone and if I goto verizon they want to push their tiered plan. So does best buy currently do this or do I need to do it all online? And my next question I've always had just one line so after I add a line to pick up the new S4 then I transfer it over to my unlimited line, do I need an actual dumb phone? My last dumb phone was with Cingular back in the day. I'll keep reading thru this forum and see if I can learn this process..

Best Buy might do it but probably not, but depends on the csr you get. You should plan for the worse and do it yourself, and if they do it, great, if not, no big deal.

You don't need a physical phone. Verizon can do this for you.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

kbi83

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site

So after I get my new phone I can call verizon to switch service to my primary line, then just tell them I don't have an other phone for that line?

Here's where I'm stuck.. I've always had 1 line so I'm going to add a line and purchase an s4 activate new line, then I have to " reactivate the phone that was previously on that line" I never had an old phone.. So I'm confused with all this.

Also am I atleast able to go into a bestbuy or verizon an tell them I'm adding a line for the GS4 then when I get home I can transfer that new phone to my current line. Or will they be on to me?

Thanks for the patients. I'm sure I'm way over thinking this.

Last edited:

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the info. What did u tell the CSR? Did u have to explain the whole process of how u got to this point? Or just say u were trying to activate a phone and were having a problem...?

I just said I'm trying to activate this phone that I took off my other account and the website still says it's still associated with the other number even though I put another phone on that number. They just did something to release it and then I could proceed. Didn't take them very long, like a minute or so so it must not be very complicated.

Jon1029

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

I just said I'm trying to activate this phone that I took off my other account and the website still says it's still associated with the other number even though I put another phone on that number. They just did something to release it and then I could proceed. Didn't take them very long, like a minute or so so it must not be very complicated.

OK thanks for the info. If it isn't cleared out by this evening I will call them.

I have tried it with the sim card that came with it and a new sim card that I got with a warranty phone and never used, with no luck last night or this morning.

limepotential

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Are you logged in one under the line that is registered as the account owner and can also see all the billing information for the entire account?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yes, I am logged into the account owner and can do actions such as Upgrade or Activate Device. However, under Upgrade there is no "Transfer Upgrade" button that I've seen other people have. Verizon reps remain unhelpful.

bobjunior

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

OK thanks for the info. If it isn't cleared out by this evening I will call them.

I have tried it with the sim card that came with it and a new sim card that I got with a warranty phone and never used, with no luck last night or this morning.

I am having this same problem. I switched back to the old phone yesterday. Then when I tried to put the new phone on my unlimited line I get the same message you have been getting. Tried again today and no luck either, but I agree it must not have released the phone yet. I even tried putting it back on the original line I took it off of and I get the same message. I will have to call if it hasn't cleared by the end of the day. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue. I thought maybe I had not done it right.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Yes, I am logged into the account owner and can do actions such as Upgrade or Activate Device. However, under Upgrade there is no "Transfer Upgrade" button that I've seen other people have. Verizon reps remain unhelpful.

Age you sign in online hover your mouse over "My Verizon" then move the mouse down to "Upgrade Device" and click.

ehagare2.jpg

Then under the pictures of the phones you have you will find the "Transfer Upgrade" button.

dypava8u.jpg

Tapatalk mofo

Jon1029

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

I am having this same problem. I switched back to the old phone yesterday. Then when I tried to put the new phone on my unlimited line I get the same message you have been getting. Tried again today and no luck either, but I agree it must not have released the phone yet. I even tried putting it back on the original line I took it off of and I get the same message. I will have to call if it hasn't cleared by the end of the day. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue. I thought maybe I had not done it right.

Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one. But, I am sorry that it didn't go smoother for u. It is irritating that we even have to try fool the system, because Verizon is so greedy, IMO.
Let us know how it goes for u, and I will do the same.
Thanks
Jon

Jon1029

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

Hi all,
I have went thru most of the process to upgrade to a new S4 and keep unlimited. I am currently waiting for my new S4 to be cleared off of the dumb phone account in verizons system. So that I can add it to my unlimited line in place of my nexus.

Question.......

Does anyone know if I can just swap my sim card from my galaxy nexus to the galaxy s4?

Could there be anything bad happen from trying it?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Hi all,
I have went thru most of the process to upgrade to a new S4 and keep unlimited. I am currently waiting for my new S4 to be cleared off of the dumb phone account in verizons system. So that I can add it to my unlimited line in place of my nexus.

Question.......

Does anyone know if I can just swap my sim card from my galaxy nexus to the galaxy s4?

Could there be anything bad happen from trying it?

Does the GN have the same size SIM as the S4? If so give it a shot and let us know what happens. It shouldn't hurt anything to try.

limepotential

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Age you sign in online hover your mouse over "My Verizon" then move the mouse down to "Upgrade Device" and click.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/05/ehagare2.jpg

Then under the pictures of the phones you have you will find the "Transfer Upgrade" button.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/05/dypava8u.jpg

Tapatalk mofo

This "Transfer Upgrade" blue text does not exist for me. Any ideas why? I'm on Nationwide Talk & Text plan, don't know if that has anything to do with it.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

This "Transfer Upgrade" blue text does not exist for me. Any ideas why? I'm on Nationwide Talk & Text plan, don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Now I have no idea, Verizon has even come out and said it is still allowing upgrade transfers so I don't know.

Best bet now would be to go to a Verizon store and do it. Don't tell them your plans to keep unlimited etc.. Just walk into a store and say you want to transfer Line A's upgrade to Line B. Get the phone and leave the store. You should be able to do the rest online after you have the phone.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one. But, I am sorry that it didn't go smoother for u. It is irritating that we even have to try fool the system, because Verizon is so greedy, IMO.
Let us know how it goes for u, and I will do the same.
Thanks
Jon

Did y'all get the S4 online or in the store?

bobjunior

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

I bought a Razr Maxx HD at Costco. They activated it there on my wife's basic phone line. I re-activated her old phone yesterday and it is up and running. When I went to activate the Razr on my unlimited line it is giving me the message device request failed cannot be completed online. I also tried activating it on her line again, but it gives me the same message. So not sure what is going on.

Did y'all get the S4 online or in the store?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey