[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Update for me.. I went to Verizon yesterday and asked them if I could transfer the upgrade how you told me. CSR said it made sense to him (understood the process I meant). He went in the back to ask, came back out and said no I cannot do that. Said something about if I upgrade my line at all I will lose unlimited data.

As soon as he said no I didn't really listen, just said Ok and walked out because I knew there was a way.. Well.. Hopefully still lol

sent from your HTC Rezound

Just like I told another guy in this thread, you don't go in and ask them anything! Are you transferring a upgrade? If so just go in and tell them you want to transfer upgrade from line A to line B and walk out with the phone you want. When you get home do the rest online. Don't know why other way to put this and I'm not trying to sound mean but don't act like a child and ask, just do.

Tapatalk mofo

patal05

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Same here. I've been watching almost everyday. Today is the first time the transfer upgrade hasn't shown up. However, all of my devices are now upgrade eligible. I'm hoping that's the reason. For you other guys getting this problem, are some of your lines not upgrade eligible?

GWILKS

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

Just like I told another guy in this thread, you don't go in and ask them anything! Are you transferring a upgrade? If so just go in and tell them you want to transfer upgrade from line A to line B and walk out with the phone you want. When you get home do the rest online. Don't know why other way to put this and I'm not trying to sound mean but don't act like a child and ask, just do.

Tapatalk mofo

Aha Idc about meanness Lulz. But I havnt read much on this yet and don't know ****. Seen a few other people said they had a hit or miss with their CSR's helping them. Some did everything for em, some said no. I tried the 50/50 shot, dealwithit. Now I'll take some free time and read up a little more on this and most likely do it online since that seems the way to go

But yea, I need to upgrade my sister's iPhone line to sg4, get home, reactivate her phone, then activate sg4 on my line

sent from your HTC Rezound

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Any luck getting that transfer upgrade option to show back up?

you shouldn't have any issue if all your lines are available for upgrade. You can't transfer because you don't need to. Just use the upgrade on your dumbphone/limited data line straight up. Then swap the new phone over to whichever unlimited line you want after activating it on your limited line. One less step (no transfer needed) and probably "safer" as well.

jason77

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site

I have been reading through this but not seeing or missing what I need to ask. I have three lines. Two Unlimited and one with 2GB. My upgrade is on the unlimited. So I am going to transfer the upgrade to the 2GB to order the phone I want. When I get the phone do I need to activate the phone to the 2GB line first or can I just go ahead and activate it to the Unlimited line without problems?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I have been reading through this but not seeing or missing what I need to ask. I have three lines. Two Unlimited and one with 2GB. My upgrade is on the unlimited. So I am going to transfer the upgrade to the 2GB to order the phone I want. When I get the phone do I need to activate the phone to the 2GB line first or can I just go ahead and activate it to the Unlimited line without problems?

Yes activate it on the 2gb line first.

Transmitted through spacetime.

patal05

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

That's what I figured, I was just curious if anyone had experienced that in the past. I'll be doing a big upgrade here shortly. (four phones) I'll update once it's done.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Is there a time frame to keep it activated on the 2GB line?

Nope, just confirm online that it's on the account, then activate the old device that was on that line and it'll automatically be off.

tvue83

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

So best buy doesn't charge an etf correct?
my bro is planning to upgade in-store.
Sent from my DROID DNA

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

So best buy doesn't charge an etf correct?
my bro is planning to upgade in-store.
Sent from my DROID DNA

Best Buy didn't charge an etf. The standard Verizon etf still applies

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Kyprain

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site

I have all 4 lines unlimited. I can make one as a dumb phone. Any ideas as how to do this.
Should I make the one phone dumb "I have a couple of old phones" then upgrade, or upgrade pick a program for the one phone, after then change to dumb program.
I don't know if Verizon will allow me to move to data plan then after the upgrades move to dumb plan on the one phone?
Any insight will help thanks

Posted via Android Central App

AspenQn

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

BUMP...

Asked once but not answered:

I have S3 on a single line unlimited data plan and not due for upgrade til 7/4/14. How can I get upgraded to S4 and keep my unlimited data? Get 2nd line with S4 and do the switch? If I do that, what effect will that have on my S3 since only 1 year into contract...in other words would I have to keep S3 on second line wuth a data plan?

Hopefully SOMEONE knows...not all of us have multiple phone lines due for upgrades!

Chuck73080

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

1) Pay full retail for an new phone

Or...

2) Open a new line of service, get a new S4 on that line at the subsidized price, activate the S4 on the new line, activate an old phone on the new line (which deactivates your new S4), then activate the S4 on your unlimited line. This ends up saving you roughly 200 bucks over 24 months compared to a full retail purchase, while giving you the benefit of a spare line to switch future upgrades to. This is the route I took. I am in the next billing cycle now and still showing unlimited.

I have other lines and was on a family share plan already (not share everything), so I don't know if that matters since you aren't on a share plan.

Sent from my VZW GS4 via the Android Central Forums app

My wife and I each have Thunderbolts on month to month plans with unlimited data. I plan to add a new line to get the $50 discount for a new Note 2, but am not sure what to buy to use as a dumb phone, will a Samsung U660 Convoy 2 work? I want the dumb phone to be a back-up and emergency contact phone as I turn the ringer volume down on my phone when I sleep.

Thanks in advance for your help

Chuck

GWILKS

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

Just upgraded from rezound to sg4 today and gave up unlimited data :pissed: i Knew how to keep it.. But my sister bitched about how her phone would be deactivated and insisted that it would screw up her phone..... Seriously? I was in dire need for a phone so I had to give in..

Sent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore

jason77

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site

I got my new phone yesterday and activated it to the 2GB line I had transferred the upgrade to. I checked to make certain it showed up on that line then reactived to original phone to the line. I could not get the new phone to activate to my line so I called customer service. We tried for awhile to get the sim card reprogrammed to my line but could not. The lady on costumer service then called our local store and had them give me a new sim card. Phone is now activated on my line with new sim card and unlimited data is still intact. Thanks to everyone here for all their contributions to this loophole!!!!

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I got my new phone yesterday and activated it to the 2GB line I had transferred the upgrade to. I checked to make certain it showed up on that line then reactived to original phone to the line. I could not get the new phone to activate to my line so I called customer service. We tried for awhile to get the sim card reprogrammed to my line but could not. The lady on costumer service then called our local store and had them give me a new sim card. Phone is now activated on my line with new sim card and unlimited data is still intact. Thanks to everyone here for all their contributions to this loophole!!!!

That's great.
How did you transfer the upgrade? Some have reported not seeing that option anymore online. Did you have to call or go into the store to do the transfer or does did the option show up on the website?