[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

mrpurpledino

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

The verizon rep at the store told me that the new sim cards that they have are "reusable" as in instead of getting a new one, I can use the sim card activated on another line for my account. Is this the truth?

donttellonme

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

Good news.... you are all wasting your time with upgrading a non unlimited line and transferring the phone.... hears the complete list of ways to keep unlimited data. 1) Buy the phone at full price 2) 12 month installment plan for full price of phone (must be bill to account eligible and good payment history)..... this is not the edge program.....3) Purchase phone from third party I.e craigslist.....4) Upgrade a non_unlimited line... activate the phone on that line then activate it on unlimited data line.....5) NEWEST WAY TO KEEP UNLIMITED --MUST BE BILL TO ACCOUNT ELIGIBLE GOOD PAYMENT HISTORY AND EDGE ELIGBLE ---START NEW LINE OF SERVICE WITH EDGE AGREEMENT ...ACTIVATE PHONE ON NEW LINE ....THEN DISCONNECT THE NEW LINE THEN ACTIVATE NEW PHONE ON UNLIMITED LINE.....YES YOU WILL HAVE EDGE AGREEMENT FOR THE PHONE BUT YOU STILL HAVE YOUR PRECIOUS [edited by moderator] UNLIMITED DATA. #ETF WILL NOT APPLY AS IT IS EDGE AGREEMENT FOR DEVICE...THERE ARE NO CONTRACTS ON A EDGE LINE=NO ETF......... THIS IS MY ONE AND ONLY POST I WILL BE MAKING ON THIS SITE...MYACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED AND I'LL PROBABLY LOSE MY JOB...... ENJOY...... Also note Number 5 will incur 35 dollar activation fee for new line

Last edited by a moderator:

MDsmartphone

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

Yes, It is considered a dumb phone.

I ask only because I remember something about a required data plan for "feature phones". I want to see if I can use the lg dare since its the only non smartphone I have lying around and want to try this upgrade thing that this thread is about

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Jrid32

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

Quick question: We have family share and one "dumb phone" on the account. Is it best to order the new "smartphone" online for the dumb phone line or can I just purchase at a local Verizon store then activate at home?

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Quick question: We have family share and one "dumb phone" on the account. Is it best to order the new "smartphone" online for the dumb phone line or can I just purchase at a local Verizon store then activate at home?

Is it eligible for an upgrade or are you transferring it? If it is eligible you can do it in the store or online. If you are transferring I would do it all online.

Damasterjj

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site

Anyone tried to transfer upgrade on besy buy, amazon, wirefly or other 3rd party retailer? 3rd party retailers usually have good deals once in a while... or is verzion website the ONLY way?

currently Line 1(unlimited) is due for upgrade
line 2 dumb phone(upgrade next year)
line 4 dumb phone(upgrade next year)

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Anyone tried to transfer upgrade on besy buy, amazon, wirefly or other 3rd party retailer? 3rd party retailers usually have good deals once in a while... or is verzion website the ONLY way?

currently Line 1(unlimited) is due for upgrade
line 2 dumb phone(upgrade next year)
line 4 dumb phone(upgrade next year)

This was mentioned multiple times in this thread. Only verizon, Costco, and best buy do not charge the secondary etf. Best option is to return the phone, pay restocking, and buy from one of the providers above. Best buy currently will pm local b&m stores

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Jrid32

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

Is it eligible for an upgrade or are you transferring it? If it is eligible you can do it in the store or online. If you are transferring I would do it all online.

I was transfering from an unlimited data device, so I will go ahead and do it online. Do you think I would be alright to elect "store pick-up" though?

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I was transfering from an unlimited data device, so I will go ahead and do it online. Do you think I would be alright to elect "store pick-up" though?

You could. But they tend to be quite insistent on activating it in the store. As long as they activate it on the tiered data line that you transferred the upgrade to and not your unlimited line should be fine. But if you get a CSR who want's to do it by the book and do a "Alternate Upgrade" they will activate it first on your unlimited line then transfer to your tiered line and lose your unlimited. Personally I do it all online and try to avoid any involvement of Verizon personnel as much as possible.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Yes, don't be afraid to use "pick up in store". I just did this last Thursday to get my LG G2. In fact told them I picked it up that I would active it myself, but was like ok and just handed me the bag.

Time before this one I did the transfer in the store and got my wife a new phone, no problems there either. So if you want just go to the store.

They can't just take your unlimited away from you and most people (not referring to the guy above) will tell you not to go to store etc.. and may not have ever tried it. But coming from me who has transferred in store and transferred online and did the "pick up on store" it is no big deal.

But I will add, DO NOT TELL THEM WHAT YOU ARE DOING! As far as the unlimited thing. They don't need to know that. This is one mistake people make and then get told no. When this happens I don't think it is the Verizon sales person trying to screw anybody, I think they just don't know how it really works.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4

Jrid32

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

Yes, don't be afraid to use "pick up in store". I just did this last Thursday to get my LG G2. In fact told them I picked it up that I would active it myself, but was like ok and just handed me the bag.

Time before this one I did the transfer in the store and got my wife a new phone, no problems there either. So if you want just go to the store.

They can't just take your unlimited away from you and most people (not referring to the guy above) will tell you not to go to store etc.. and may not have ever tried it. But coming from me who has transferred in store and transferred online and did the "pick up on store" it is no big deal.

But I will add, DO NOT TELL THEM WHAT YOU ARE DOING! As far as the unlimited thing. They don't need to know that. This is one mistake people make and then get told no. When this happens I don't think it is the Verizon sales person trying to screw anybody, I think they just don't know how it really works.

Great advice! Considering going to the store tonight to get a G2 and retire my Inc 2...

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Just trying to avoid experiences like this that you will see throughout this thread below. But yes agreed, main thing is don't let them know what you are planning to do:

I just tried to transfer an upgrade to keep unlimited data and was denied by a Verizon CSR.

Here was my situation...
1 Unlimited data line WITH upgrade eligible
1 tiered 2GB data line without upgrade

Online, I took the option to transfer my upgrade on the unlimited line to the 2GB line and purchased an HTC one with the upgrade. I chose store pickup for the delivery method.

When I went to pick up my phone, I was upfront with the CSR and told him I wanted to activate the phone on my 2gb line and then reactivate the existing Iphone so I can activate the new phone to my unlimited line and keep unlimited data. He told me there was no way he could do that. I then said I wanted to leave the store with the phone and activate it myself online, and he told me I couldn't leave the store with the phone I purchased unless activated tiered data on my unlimited line (because I transferred the upgrade from my unlimited line). He said even if I just activated the phone on my 2GB line, I would be renewing the contract on my unlimited line which would make it lose unlimited data.

The guy was really nice about it, but basically told me there was no way he could possibly do it in the store. Since he wouldn't let me take the phone home, I completely cancelled the order and walked out.

Damasterjj

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site

Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
This was mentioned multiple times in this thread. Only verizon, Costco, and best buy do not charge the secondary etf. Best option is to return the phone, pay restocking, and buy from one of the providers above. Best buy currently will pm local b&m stores

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

OK, I haven't bought any phone yet most like I will try to do it on bestbuy since i don't have costco account but I do have sams club account.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

I don't think one has to have a Costco account, as we don't have a store anywhere near. Two years ago, I got a phone through Costco Wireless, all online and several phone calls.

Droid3r

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site

Good news.... you are all wasting your time with upgrading a non unlimited line and transferring the phone.... hears the complete list of ways to keep unlimited data. 1) Buy the phone at full price 2) 12 month installment plan for full price of phone (must be bill to account eligible and good payment history)..... this is not the edge program.....3) Purchase phone from third party I.e craigslist.....4) Upgrade a non_unlimited line... activate the phone on that line then activate it on unlimited data line.....5) NEWEST WAY TO KEEP UNLIMITED --MUST BE BILL TO ACCOUNT ELIGIBLE GOOD PAYMENT HISTORY AND EDGE ELIGBLE ---START NEW LINE OF SERVICE WITH EDGE AGREEMENT ...ACTIVATE PHONE ON NEW LINE ....THEN DISCONNECT THE NEW LINE THEN ACTIVATE NEW PHONE ON UNLIMITED LINE.....YES YOU WILL HAVE EDGE AGREEMENT FOR THE PHONE BUT YOU STILL HAVE YOUR PRECIOUS [edited by moderator] UNLIMITED DATA. #ETF WILL NOT APPLY AS IT IS EDGE AGREEMENT FOR DEVICE...THERE ARE NO CONTRACTS ON A EDGE LINE=NO ETF......... THIS IS MY ONE AND ONLY POST I WILL BE MAKING ON THIS SITE...MYACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED AND I'LL PROBABLY LOSE MY JOB...... ENJOY...... Also note Number 5 will incur 35 dollar activation fee for new line

As soon you cancel the line the phones remaining payments become DUE

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I don't think one has to have a Costco account, as we don't have a store anywhere near. Two years ago, I got a phone through Costco Wireless, all online and several phone calls.

Correct, Costco wireless does not require a Costco membership either online or in store , and is sold at the same price as members. For that matter you can use a gift card in lieu of a membership as well in Costco regular stores but it does require supervisor approval.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Narco55

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

I upgraded my dumb-phone online (with in-store pickup) to an LG G2 with the intent to transfer it to my unlimited line. When I went to pick up the phone they would not let me leave the store without activating. I said fine, but then the verizon rep noticed I had unlimited data plans and said that if I planned to later transfer the LG G2 to my unlimited line that it would not work because my account would be flagged. Is this true or something new or are they flat out lying?

Luckily the credit card system was non-coperative and would not take my card. I walked out and have to wait 4 days for the order to auto-cancel. I hope I can re-order with home delivery and not have to deal with the store anymore.

cc1995

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

Hey guys. My wife and I both have unlimited plans and we both are eligible for upgrades. I want to keep my unlimited and I don't think it matters if my wife loses it since she doesn't do anything on her Iphone except text and check out facebook so she hardly uses any data. I was wondering if I did the following senario below if i wouldbe able to keep my unlimited while moving only her to the 2GB share tiered plan.

She would first upgrade her phone and get a new crappy boring Iphone and when they start the new contract she loses unlimited and goes to the tiered 2GB plan. Then a week later I transfer my upgrade to her account. She goes and buys the LG G2 on her line after I transfer my upgrade to her. Once she gets it..she then activates it on her line and then deactivates it and puts her new Iphone back on her line. I take the LG G2 and activate it on my line thus keeping my unlimited. My question is...once I transfer my upgrade to her line....does my contract restart and cause me to lose unlimited or does my unlimited stay in place and my 2 years just starts again and I get to keep unlimited? Also, do I just take the 4G sim from my current Galaxy Nexus and put that in the LG G2 and just turn it on and everything should work? I hope I am going to do this right. I just know that others on here have been through this stuff and might be able to offer me some advice. Thanks.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I upgraded my dumb-phone online (with in-store pickup) to an LG G2 with the intent to transfer it to my unlimited line. When I went to pick up the phone they would not let me leave the store without activating. I said fine, but then the verizon rep noticed I had unlimited data plans and said that if I planned to later transfer the LG G2 to my unlimited line that it would not work because my account would be flagged. Is this true or something new or are they flat out lying?

Luckily the credit card system was non-coperative and would not take my card. I walked out and have to wait 4 days for the order to auto-cancel. I hope I can re-order with home delivery and not have to deal with the store anymore.

If you look throughout this long thread you will see several similar stories of in-store Verizon CSR's saying such things and turning out to be false. I usually give people the benefit of the doubt and like to think they are just misinformed but this person seemed to be going out of their way to screw you over. In my experience when there is a pattern of lying usually money/commission is involved. Examples are car rental reps that try to scare you into buying insurance coverage, Fry's Electronics salesmen (had one lie to my wife saying a computer was a Portege when it was a Satellite because they didn't have Portege's in stock). I have no direct knowledge of such but I suspect Verizon sales reps must make a commission on up-selling your plan and if you change it must impact their commission. The pattern is too pervasive to be just coincidence. There are stories of other having no problem at all and CSR's helping them keep their unlimited too. I think it depends on the person, some don't care as much about their commission and will help you even though they lose out. Others will lie and make up stories just to get their commission.

Last edited: