[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

M_Lux

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I'm getting the same thing....when I go to reactivate the dumbphone on the line, it is asking me to select a data plan?? wtf?

Wait time out!??!!?? The loopehole no longer works? I'm just about to order the HTC One off Best Buy....Someone please confirm if this still works

jmd471

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site

Best i could find is you accept the 75mb plan for $10 a month and then have verizon remove that from the plan after the fact. There's a statement along those lines buried somewhere in this thread...

M_Lux

May 7, 2013
Visit site

Yeah I saw that as well... I noticed in your previous post you're planning to upgrade today, have you already done it and were you required to pick a data plan on the dumb line?

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I'm trying to re-activate the dumb phone on the dumb phone line and it seems to be requiring me to pick a data plan. I'm getting: View attachment 83062
I thought reverting to previous no-data would be presented as an option?

Might call them up and see if basic phones now need a data plan. Doesn't seem right. Before you'd have a $0.00 Pay Per Use option which since it didn't do data ended up like $0. If all fails and you don't need the phone you should be able to put a dummy MEID number on the phone to get it to $10/mo unless they've changed that too.

Cell Phones & Camera Phones - Verizon Basic Phones - Verizon Wireless.jpg

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Holy ----!!! I'm wondering if I should cancel my Pre-Order from Best Buy. I was going to pick up the Note 3 and pay off the phone and proceed with the switch. Here's what I did this past week.

Previously I had three unlimited data lines, all of them with upgrades (of course, not one of them will be upgraded directly.) Two of the lines have smart phones (one Note 2 that I used Device Payment Plan on, the other other a Samsung Droid Charge, which I plan on replacing with a Certified Like New one since I have extended warranty on the wife's line so that I can sell it for something good or get a quick sale.)

I have since this week got two basic lines with two flip phones I had lying around the house (one of them an LG Revere...the other an LG VX5500.) Both lines are just 9.99 each and has no texting capabilities and such (unless I port them to Google Voice, but its not that serious.) Since I brought my own devices, I have instant upgrades on both since they are both month-to-month. After 48 hours passed, I went to my local Best Buy and pre-ordered the Note 3, which will be out by around October 10th. Was going to upgrade on one of the basic phones, and then switch back to the dumb phone when I saw that the Note 3 was activated on my basic phone line. THEN was going to bring the basic phone back on the line BEFORE I replaced my Note 2 with my Note 3, since they presumably use the same size SIM card. I was going to contact Verizon to do this.

So is this way of upgrading no longer going to work now? Please help, because I can just cancel the basic lines AND get a refund on the preorder if this isn't going to pan out like I thought.

Last edited:

pimfram

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Please just be temporary. Please just be temporary. Please just be temporary. Please just be temporary. Please just be temporary. Please just be temporary. Please just be temporary.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

No one has indicated that the process has failed, just that it may require one additional phone call or online task to remove the data plan from the dumb phone line. It worked 100% for me 3 weeks ago. As long as you retain unlimited, 2 minutes extra work is worth it IMO.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

This may make it even more important to know if it is really necessary to activate the new phone on the dumb phone line first as I had stated before because if you could just activate the new phone on the unlimited data line first directly you never take the dumb phone off its line so never get stuck having to select a data line when putting the dumb phone back on it's original line.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

This may make it even more important to know if it is really necessary to activate the new phone on the dumb phone line first as I had stated before because if you could just activate the new phone on the unlimited data line first directly you never take the dumb phone off its line so never get stuck having to select a data line when putting the dumb phone back on it's original line.

I had read elsewhere that the reason you are supposed to activate on the dumb phone first was for the "upgrade" to finish completion. Once the phone was "upgraded" then the phone could get swapped elsewhere. If the phone gets activated on the unlimited data plan before it is activated on the dumb phone, according to what I read, then the line is at risk at losing unlimited data. I just want to make sure that scenario doesn't happen...

khiho

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site

So I did the upgrade via transfer from my unlimited line to dummy line and ordered a phone through it. ACtivated the 5s to dummy line then try to switch back to flip phone, it did asked for data plan with $10 mininum. So I called Verizon they removed the data and switched my back to flip phone. ONLY 1 problem, now I go into my account online trying to activate/swao the phone, it shows my 5S as new unactivated device and asked me to use it as my new device. I'm afraid to use on my unlimited line and don't want to go through and reactivate on my dummy line. I'll try to wait out 24 hr and see what happened.

Dammit. Verizon is getting too greedy.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

On another forum people also had to choose a data plan for a dumb phone line via online BUT once they called csr they were able to activate the dumb phone line without data.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

If the dumbphone has a upgrade then you can do it this way. But if you are transfering from another line you need to activate it on the dumbphone line first.

Tapatalk mofo

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

But what about this new unactivated device jazz? I'd be afraid to "reactivate" a new, subsidized phone on an unlimited data line.

I think this is a valid concern.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

But what about this new unactivated device jazz? I'd be afraid to "reactivate" a new, subsidized phone on an unlimited data line.

I think this is a valid concern.

He probably just needs to call and have them put it on for him. He already did it once So should be fine.

Tapatalk mofo

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

If the dumbphone has a upgrade then you can do it this way. But if you are transfering from another line you need to activate it on the dumbphone line first.

Tapatalk mofo

That is what I've thought. But if you read through all the comments after this article (and there are a lot of them) I'm not sure it's even necessary to activate on the dumb phone line if the phone originated from the unlimited line anymore. It is just important that you move the upgrade to another line to process the upgrade order but doesn't look like it matters where you activate it:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/09/17/keep-unlimited-data-verizon-upgrade/

213ninja • 3 days ago −
i can confirm that when using the second (online) method described in option 2 that there is no need to activate the new phone on your dummy line first. just slap your sim card in that summamabitch and you're done. i have done this at least 5 times with zero issues over the past 2 or 3 years.

T4rd CaptainDisillusion
• 8 days ago
I don't think you had to activate the new phone on her line in the first place.
I just did the same thing (transferred my lines upgrade to my mom's line that has a 2GB plan) and when I got the phone, I simply swapped SIM cards from my old phone to the new one and was good to go. Never had to mess with her line at all other than transferring the upgrade to it.

Craig Sweany CaptainDisillusion
• 6 days ago
We did this a couple years ago but we didn't activate it on the original line and then deactivate it. We just simply activated it on the line we wanted the phone for. No problems.

If this is true it will avoid the problem with reactivating on the dumb phone line and will also avoid the problem some people have had with their 4G SIM chip getting stuck attached to the dumb phone line and avoid problem with having to swap different size SIMs.
Also if this is true that you don't need to actually activate it on a basic line first, it would suggest the method cc1995 proposed, swapping up two unlimited lines upgrades without using third line at all might actually work. I was hoping cc1995 would update us on whether they tried this method and whether it worked.

Last edited:

M_Lux

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Try it out and let us know... I'm planning to stick to the traditional method.. not gonna risk the chance and lose my unlimited.

Posted via Android Central App

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

That is what I've thought. But if you read through all the comments after this article (and there are a lot of them) I'm not sure it's even necessary to activate on the dumb phone line if the phone originated from the unlimited line anymore. It is just important that you move the upgrade to another line to process the upgrade order but doesn't look like it matters where you activate it:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/09/17/keep-unlimited-data-verizon-upgrade/

If this is true it will avoid the problem with reactivating on the dumb phone line and will also avoid the problem some people have had with their 4G SIM chip getting stuck attached to the dumb phone line and avoid problem with having to swap different size SIMs.
Also if this is true that you don't need to actually activate it on a basic line first, it would suggest the method cc1995 proposed, swapping up two unlimited lines upgrades without using third line at all might actually work. I was hoping cc1995 would update us on whether they tried this method and whether it worked.

As long as your old SIM fits into the new phone it seems that's a good way. They are not really activating the phone they are just inserting a SIM. I wouldn't go online and activate on the unlimited line with a new SIM.

Tapatalk mofo

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Try it out and let us know... I'm planning to stick to the traditional method.. not gonna risk the chance and lose my unlimited.

I'll let you know when but I will have to wait until 10/10 when my Note 3 comes. But that one I'm sure will go on directly because it's coming from an upgrade on a dumb phone on a separate account so may not prove anything.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan