[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I have this terrible nagging feeling that when I finally get my N3 this schema isn't going to work.

Meantime, I'm curious about this: how does the dumb phone's SIM play any role in this? Does it just stay in the dumb phone and is reactivated once the new the new phone SIM is activated on the unlimited line? And also, can this process be completed in a day?

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

how does the dumb phone's SIM play any role in this?
There is no SIM on any dumb phone. You mean how the ESN/IMEI/MEID (all phones have those numbers) plays into this, so I'll answer that.
The dumb phone has to have a clean ESN. If it doesn't than you can can't add that phone on the line. Simple as that. In short, the phone has to work on Verizon and not have a Bad ESN in order for the "schema" [sic], or rather scheme to work. I wrote two posts on this subject that were numbered so you can go back a couple of posts and read that again now that this is a little clearer. In fact, I'll briefly go over this when I answer your next question.

Does it just stay in the dumb phone and is reactivated once the new the new phone SIM is activated on the unlimited line?
So, basically, what we are doing is having a dumb phone on a basic line. Only thing we pay for is $9.99 a month for one basic line, plus BS fees and taxes. (No text, no nothing, just a dumb phone ) So then what we do is upgrade the basic phone and make sure the upgraded phone (e.g a N3) is active on the dumb line. Once it is confirmed that it is, turn off the N3 and contact VZW (in my case this was done in one-fell swoop, but I would not do that again...) and you tell them you want to put your original phone back on the basic line, and remove the data plan, etc. Once your dumb phone line is active, you do a device swap with what's on your unlimited line with the N3 (that can be as simple as swapping SIMs or reprogramming the SIM card in the N3.) Once that's done two things happen: 1) Your unlimited data line has the N3 and all is good. 2) Your basic line is now under contract for 2 years ($240 + 300 = cheaper than device payment plan.)

And also, can this process be completed in a day?
Yes it can and yes it does. Mine took an unnecessarily long time, but this was because I dealt with Best Buy (never, ever again...)

I know this sounds complicated (I was just gonna stick with device payment plan, myself.) I myself thought this was a lot of work until I actually took the time to read it, study it and then I was ready to implement it (which was yesterday.) I didn't care that Black Friday is almost here, or that I could have gotten the N3 cheaper if I waited; I wanted that phone now!!

Shane318

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone in this thread for all the helpful information.

I went to my local Verizon store on 10/09 and added a basic line to my unlimited account. Took about 45 minutes. The guy searched all through their system and could not find the code to add it to my plan. He finally added the line as a standalone on my account, then called customer service and they converted it.

As of right now, I still have 2 unlimited lines, 3 GB tablet and now the basic line with no data. Waiting until the end of my billing cycle to swap upgrade dates and get a Note 3!

Posted via Android Central App

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

As of right now, I still have 2 unlimited lines, 3 GB tablet and now the basic line with no data. Waiting until the end of my billing cycle to swap upgrade dates and get a Note 3!

Can you please keep us posted and let us know how that goes? I spoke to a couple of Verizon reps as well as reading on various boards and I am under the impression that transferring just the upgrade to a line would be like upgrading a line itself and hence losing unlimited data. Then others have said that the transfer should work, but I am not sure. I have one more basic that I can use for upgrade, but I am just keeping it for a rainy day for a phone that is worthy.

Girl is happy with her S3, and I'm happy with my Note 3. :D Not going to use an upgrade on another Note 3 or S4...

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Can you please keep us posted and let us know how that goes? I spoke to a couple of Verizon reps as well as reading on various boards and I am under the impression that transferring just the upgrade to a line would be like upgrading a line itself and hence losing unlimited data. Then others have said that the transfer should work, but I am not sure. I have one more basic that I can use for upgrade, but I am just keeping it for a rainy day for a phone that is worthy.

Girl is happy with her S3, and I'm happy with my Note 3. :D Not going to use an upgrade on another Note 3 or S4...

Hmm. Didn't you tell me just a short time ago that this process is a cinch? And I decided to believe you. :confused:

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

How many people have to do it before you believe it works? It works! Don't ask anybody at Verizon, either they don't know or lie. There will be some that help but far and few of them. Just do it without asking.

Tapatalk mofo

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Hmm. Didn't you tell me just a short time ago that this process is a cinch? And I decided to believe you. :confused:

Transferring an upgrade isn't what I did though. What I did was an alternate upgrade.

Transferring an upgrade is when I transfer an upgrade from my unlimited line to another line that doesn't have one. What I did was upgrade a basic line to a smartphone and then a device swap prior to putting the basic phone back on.

My unlimited data lines all have unlimited and I could transfer an upgrade to the basic line I just upgraded. OR I could just stick with the tried and true method of the alternate upgrade. The transferring upgrade from unlimited to basic is what I am unsure of and that is what I thought you were doing.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

How many people have to do it before you believe it works? It works! Don't ask anybody at Verizon, either they don't know or lie. There will be some that help but far and few of them. Just do it without asking.

Tapatalk mofo

I have one more basic line that I could just do what I did before, but the transferring upgrade from unlimited is what concerns me. I have four more upgrades so if I were to do it without losing unlimited it would be a nice cash boost (sell phones I don't want or need.)

Bottom line, I just don't want to lose unlimited data. Alternate upgrade proved reliable and safe. :)

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I have one more basic line that I could just do what I did before, but the transferring upgrade from unlimited is what concerns me. I have four more upgrades so if I were to do it without losing unlimited it would be a nice cash boost (sell phones I don't want or need.)

Bottom line, I just don't want to lose unlimited data. Alternate upgrade proved reliable and safe. :)

You won't use unlimited by transfering upgrades. I have done it both ways. Easiest is to just do it online.

Tapatalk mofo

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

You won't use unlimited by transfering upgrades. I have done it both ways. Easiest is to just do it online.

Tapatalk mofo

Good deal. I just wanted to make sure the transferring upgrade wasn't a trap. :D

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Good deal. I just wanted to make sure the transferring upgrade wasn't a trap. :D

Not a trap, it does renew the 2 year contract. But you keep unlimited.

Tapatalk mofo

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Transferring an upgrade isn't what I did though. What I did was an alternate upgrade.

Transferring an upgrade is when I transfer an upgrade from my unlimited line to another line that doesn't have one. What I did was upgrade a basic line to a smartphone and then a device swap prior to putting the basic phone back on.

My unlimited data lines all have unlimited and I could transfer an upgrade to the basic line I just upgraded. OR I could just stick with the tried and true method of the alternate upgrade. The transferring upgrade from unlimited to basic is what I am unsure of and that is what I thought you were doing.

I think we're getting lost in semantics. My task is to upgrade a dumb phone line to a smartphone, then move that smartphone to the existing unlimited line, and then return/reactivate the dumb phone back to its original line. Both lines on a FSP.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

I think we're getting lost in semantics. My task is to upgrade a dumb phone line to a smartphone, then move that smartphone to the existing unlimited line, and then return/reactivate the dumb phone back to its original line. Both lines on a FSP.

My fault...sometimes I do get lost in semantics...

We're on the same page and my apologies for the confusion. However, before you move the smartphone to the existing unlimited line, return/reactivate the dumb phone back to its original line first (and make sure the data plans are removed.) THEN you do the device swap.

Sorry about the confusion...we're on the same page now. :)

gmasuggs

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site

I just stumbled across this excellent thread and am still unclear on one point.

The original post and several subsequent posts seem to emphasize the importance of adding the data when upgrading the second (dumb) phone and then removing the data after the switch back to the original dumb phone. I am planning to execute this using my wife's tiered data plan rather than a dumb phone. My phone is a smartphone with unlimited and available upgrade, and my wife's phone is a smartphone with tiered data plan. Will I have any problems with this?

Also - any reason for why I cannot do everything through the verizon website rather than through verizon customer service? My current phone is a droid razr and the new phone would be the note 3, both of which use the micro-sim card.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I just stumbled across this excellent thread and am still unclear on one point.

The original post and several subsequent posts seem to emphasize the importance of adding the data when upgrading the second (dumb) phone and then removing the data after the switch back to the original dumb phone. I am planning to execute this using my wife's tiered data plan rather than a dumb phone. My phone is a smartphone with unlimited and available upgrade, and my wife's phone is a smartphone with tiered data plan. Will I have any problems with this?

Also - any reason for why I cannot do everything through the verizon website rather than through verizon customer service? My current phone is a droid razr and the new phone would be the note 3, both of which use the micro-sim card.

The line anyway has data so you don't need to mess with that. Yes you should be able to do it all online, but if you hit a snag call them. Don't be afraid to call them, just tell them what you need done but not why. They don't ask you why.

Tapatalk mofo

gmasuggs

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site

The line anyway has data so you don't need to mess with that. Yes you should be able to do it all online, but if you hit a snag call them. Don't be afraid to call them, just tell them what you need done but not why. They don't ask you why.

Tapatalk mofo

Thanks! Very helpful site.

aneftp

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site

Ok, finally got my 16GB iphone 5S gold. I had posted a couple of weeks ago. I did the online transferred from my unlimited data line to my sister in law's tiered data iphone 4S line.

Now how do I activate the phone. On the 2 white sheet of papers that came with the phone. On the upper right hand corner of one piece of paper it lists:
Eligible MDN: (shows my unlimited data line that I transferred the upgrade)
Activating MDN: the tiered data line

One the other white sheet it shows the iphone 5S with the tiered data line along with the IMEI plus the 4G nano sim ICCID number provisioned for the tiered data line.

1. Do I call the 1-877 line to activate the phone? If I call it in, it will ask which number I want to activate along with last four SSN number. Do I punch in the tiered data line I am activating the phone?

2. If I activate online, what should I do?

baker954

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site

Anyone found out if you can do an AOL from a business account with Unlimited Data line, to a personal line? (Essentially take the unlimited data line into your name)

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Anyone found out if you can do an AOL from a business account with Unlimited Data line, to a personal line? (Essentially take the unlimited data line into your name)

You should be able to do it as they'd just change your plan to the personal use version of what you have now I stead of business. I'd say just call and ask won't hurt.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad