[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Will the loophole work with the Comcast upgrade offer ($100 gift card or $10 of Bill for 12).

I am going to use the loophole to get my wife the new iPhone. It looks like it will still work with this loophole. Has anyone used it with the Comcast offer or know of it work.

I will be transferring the unlimited grade from an unlimited line to a dumb line.

http://www.comcast.com/wireless.html

Sent from my maguro using Tapatalk 4

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I am having the issue that was described above where my unlimited line was showing as being upgraded even though I did the transfer to the dumb line and it showed as being for the dumb line but the confirmation email was saying otherwise. I called Verizon and the lady said just activate it on the dumb line and my unlimited line will be unaffected. Thought I'd put that out their for anyone else that runs into this.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Not of you order from Verizon. If you order from amazon or wirefly you will be charger an ETF.

I guess this becomes a trade-off between retaining unlimited data and getting a good discount on the price of the phone.

spankynuts

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site

I am having the issue that was described above where my unlimited line was showing as being upgraded even though I did the transfer to the dumb line and it showed as being for the dumb line but the confirmation email was saying otherwise. I called Verizon and the lady said just activate it on the dumb line and my unlimited line will be unaffected. Thought I'd put that out their for anyone else that runs into this.

I also just received a confirmation email showing that the line with the unlimited data will be upgraded as opposed to the line with 2Gb even though I transferred the upgrade. Hopefully, I'm still in the clear pending your advice.

Jay A whY

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

I noticed that too on my confirmation email... I have hope because on the plans section of the email, I have a bunch of blocked features that has always been on the dummy line, that I have never had on my unlimited line. (Fingers crossed)

Sent from my iPhone 5

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

She is wrong, other people have been told this and it is wrong. I think that they just do know and they are not trying to confuse you.

Activate it on line one when you get it. After that you can do the phone transfers. The unlimited line will be under a new 2 year contract because that is where the upgrade came from but you will not lose your unlimited data.

Tapatalk mofo

This is 100 % true.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

kimpat

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site

I also just received a confirmation email showing that the line with the unlimited data will be upgraded as opposed to the line with 2Gb even though I transferred the upgrade. Hopefully, I'm still in the clear pending your advice.

I noticed that too on my confirmation email... I have hope because on the plans section of the email, I have a bunch of blocked features that has always been on the dummy line, that I have never had on my unlimited line. (Fingers crossed)

Sent from my iPhone 5

I'm the original poster who had that issue. I've since received my shipping notice from verizon and all the info is in relation to the basic phone (line 2). I then went to activate/switch device just to see what it says and it does give me the option to put the new phone on line 2. Now to wait until Tuesday to receive the phone and get everything switched over.

Moral of the story - don't panic at the confirmation email!

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Thanks. Yea I'll still worry a little but if anything does go wrong I'll fight Verizon all day to not loose unlimited, they definitely won't win this fight.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Not of you order from Verizon. If you order from amazon or wirefly you will be charger an ETF.

I'm trying to understand the rationale here. Isn't it true that no matter where one buys the phone, the activation/reactivation is done at/by the carrier, in this case, Verizon?

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I'm trying to understand the rationale here. Isn't it true that no matter where one buys the phone, the activation/reactivation is done at/by the carrier, in this case, Verizon?

Some companies get a kickback from Verizon for plans they sell. There is probably something in their agreement that loses that if you change before a certain amount of time. Otherwise they wouldn't care.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Wirefly charges a second ETF if the phone is deactivated on the line it was purchased for. This ETF is independent of any ETF Verizon would charge.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Wirefly charges a second ETF if the phone is deactivated on the line it was purchased for. This ETF is independent of any ETF Verizon would charge.

Even if the phone right away is transferred to another (smartphone, unlimited) line and the dumb phone line remains in service? Then what is terminated?

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

Even if the phone right away is transferred to another (smartphone, unlimited) line and the dumb phone line remains in service? Then what is terminated?

The data plan would be terminated.

Sent from my Razr Maxx using Tapatalk 4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The fee they are talking about is the "INSTANT SAVINGS DISCOUNTS" $400 Charge, if certain actions are taken within 181 days. This fee is separate and on top of Verizon's $350 etf. I usually refer to it as a secondary etf for ease of calling, but the charge can be assessed even without terminating the line. Something like moving phones between lines even on the same account may incur this fee. This is the exact wording from Wirefly :

" INSTANT SAVINGS DISCOUNTS
Wirefly promises you savings in the form of instant discounts with no rebates or gimmicks when you sign up for wireless carrier service on a 2 year agreement. We are able to offer these great discounts because we get paid by the wireless carrier for having helped them get (or retain) a good customer. Delivering on this promise means that you must agree to maintain your agreement for a minimum of 181 days after activation. If we are notified by the carrier that they are not going to pay us because your phone has been deactivated during this period, then this may lead to additional charges.
To provide you with significant savings vs. buying in a retail store, the price you paid for your device includes an Instant Savings Discount from Wirefly.
By accepting this Instant Savings Discount, you agree to repay $200 of this discount ($400 for smartphones, tablets, and netbooks) and authorize us to charge your credit card in repayment of this amount if, you signed up for a 2 year agreement and during the 181 days after your new equipment is activated, your wireless carrier notifies us that the services you purchased have been suspended, disconnected, or deactivated, or if you return your purchase outside of the return and exchange provisions of our Satisfaction Guarantee.
Other than simply deactivating a line we?ve activated, your wireless carrier could notify us that you deactivated if:
You fail to pay the carrier in accordance with their terms and conditions
You transfer equipment we activate on one line to another carrier line, even within the same account
You activate this equipment on a new line of service with your current carrier and use it to replace an existing line by deactivating the existing line."

http://www.wirefly.com/about/purchaseterms/?referringdomain=WireflyMobile

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Do Best Buy, Amazon or, say, our favorite Costco Wireless have the same stipulations? I don't remember the latter activating my Rezound.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Of those, only Amazon has extra fees.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

It's beyond my understanding why it's any of their business on what line is the phone activated. It's like the furniture store controlling where exactly you should put the couch they sold you. They sold it, thanks, and then should stand aside.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

It's beyond my understanding why it's any of their business on what line is the phone activated. They sold it, thanks, and then should stand aside.

It has to do with their commission. You doing certain things within 181 days may cause them to lose their commission. If you want to blame someone, blame Verizon for yanking their commission.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

It has to do with their commission. You doing certain things within 181 days may cause them to lose their commission

Isn't their commission on the sale not on the further policing?

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

BTW, are there any stipulations on how soon a new phone has to be activated?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar