[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Keeping UDP - purchasing through Verizon?

You can't merge the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, you can, sort of. However, you just can't have an ME family share plan and a Nationwide family share plan on the same account. You can have a Nationwide family share plan on the primary account and a me plan on a sub account or vice versa.

Also, if you have a Nationwide share plan with 3 lines and you AOL 1 or 2 ME lines, you can add them to your existing Nationwide family plan and they will be converted to Nationwide lines with tiered data if they are already smartphones.

However, you are also correct. You can't have a family plan with some Nationwide lines and some ME.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

OK then so that is what the OP needs to do, which is what I said to begin with, I just wasn't sure you could do it with a ME line since I have never done it myself.

He needs to have his wife AOL his line from his family's ME plan and merge it with her UDP line to form a Nationwide family plan with a UDP line and a tiered data plan line. Then he needs them to switch the phone numbers so that his number is on the UDP line and hers is on the tiered data plan line.

I just merged an individual 450 minute plan with my nationwide family plan, btw and will be switching phone numbers around soon.

That's not what he said. He said you can't merge a ME line with a legacy nationwide line and you can. So no, he was not correct.

He's talking about ONE instance where it wouldn't work so yes I am correct.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

Yes, you can, sort of. However, you just can't have an ME family share plan and a Nationwide family share plan on the same account. You can have a Nationwide family share plan on the primary account and a me plan on a sub account or vice versa.

Also, if you have a Nationwide share plan with 3 lines and you AOL 1 or 2 ME lines, you can add them to your existing Nationwide family plan and they will be converted to Nationwide lines with tiered data if they are already smartphones.

However, you are also correct. You can't have a family plan with some Nationwide lines and some ME.

Is it the same if it's a share everything plan? Can you do an aol of a share everything line and convert it to a tiered data line on a nationwide plan?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
LOL.... I just don't like to sound like I am calling someone out, when it could be a simple misunderstanding or, I'm tired and my reading comprehension has gone to hell ☺

Also, I speak from experience, so if the OP is told he must convert his Nationwide plan to ME to do the AOL, that is definitely not the case.

I think Verizon is just happy to do any AOL, rather than just cancel a line.

What I want to see is someone that upgrades a basic Nationwide line to a smartphone, with the new $30 data plan requirement.

If they convert that line to an ME single line plan, the data plan requirement goes away. What happens if they try to then re-add it back to a Nationwide family share plan as a basic line, does the data plan requirement also survive?

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
[Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

No you weren't. He was talking about having them on the same account, which is not what the OP, me or you were talking about. The OP, me and you were talking about having them on the same plan. You are incorrect b/c you can merge the lines into the same plan without changing the legacy plan.

OMFG. All DIESTELDORF was talking about was that in one instance I could be right. Nobody cares if it wasn't the exact same thing we were talking about. Please think before you respond

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

LOL.... I just don't like to sound like I am calling someone out, when it could be a simple misunderstanding or, I'm tired and my reading comprehension has gone to hell

Also, I speak from experience, so if the OP is told he must convert his Nationwide plan to ME to do the AOL, that is definitely not the case.

I think Verizon is just happy to do any AOL, rather than just cancel a line.

What I want to see is someone that upgrades a basic Nationwide line to a smartphone, with the new $30 data plan requirement.

If they convert that line to an ME single line plan, the data plan requirement goes away. What happens if they try to then re-add it back to a Nationwide family share plan as a basic line, does the data plan requirement also survive?

Smh. What a waste.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Folks let's keep the discussion on topic and free of insults or finger pointing.

We all know the drill here. If you see something that warrants moderator attention then please report the post. NEVER try and resolve things yourself, especially publicly in the thread.

Thank you.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

Folks let's keep the discussion on topic and free of insults or finger pointing.

We all know the drill here. If you see something that warrants moderator attention then please report the post. NEVER try and resolve things yourself, especially publicly in the thread.

Thank you.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I apologize for my part Paul. ::thumbs up::

amandax53

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site

Does anyone know if I currently have Asurion accidental damage coverage on my current phone (droid 4), if I upgrade through the best buy method, if I can get the same coverage on my new phone (most likely S5)? Also I just wanted to double check the best buy method is still working to keep UDP when I upgrade from a current UDP line (provided I switch out the sim cards, which seem like it would be a seamless process from what I have read online--droid 4 sim cards are the same as S5 sim cards?), since there's a lot of chatter about the loopholes being closed as of August 25. I've been trying to read through the more recent posts, but it seems there's a lot of drama going on to sort through.

If I cannot keep the Asurion insurance when I upgrade, does anyone have a recommendation? I drop my phone a lot and won't do well without insurance.

Thanks for your help!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Not only were you wrong and are now trying to spin it, you are rude and obnoxious. ON IGNORE YOU GO!

I think someone needs to take a step back and look at some of their own comments when it comes to being obnoxious, rude and then brushing fellow members off with some of your own comments.

But then again you've walked this path many time before here at AC haven't you?

Please feel free to PM me if you wish to discuss and not derail this thread.

Thank you.

Posted via the Android Central App

aaronesq

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site

So I just ordered a subsidized G3 using the upgrade my wife's 6gig max plan had. At least for me that did NOT change the plan to 2gigs (at least on the shipping papers / contract) it has remained at 6gigs for $30/mo. Some had suggested it would change to 2gigs with a subsidized purchase.
I also got a new 4G SIM for my UDP phone.
The new G3 has not been activated....I took out the SIM it shipped with.
What's the safest way to get the G3 on my UDP line? Pop the UDP SIM in? Or activate with the shipped SIM and then transfer the phone to the UDP line?

aaronesq

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site

How does a 6GB data max plan have an upgrade already? They just started that promo about a year ago for those who wanted to upgrade on UDP lines, so the earliest anyone should be able to upgrade again is this time next year.

I believe we used an upgrade on one of our basic lines......done last november. Rep at a store did it for me....don't know all the details but after it was done had a subbed phone on the max line with upgrade available and the basic line's contract was set at 2015. Regardless I've got this new G3 phone and want to safely put it on my UDP line - any thoughts?

Last edited:

amandax53

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site

Has anyone had success in their orders going through to a different address than the billing address on the account? I'm the only user on my account and I live in NY, the account is in my stepdad's name and the bill is sent to him in NC, even though I do the payments on it. I am an authorized user to talk with verizon about the account, my phone is only used in NY and I know all the pertinent account information. Would I run into any trouble having the phone shipped to me in NY, not sure if anyone's orders have been placed on hold or anything as a result? Just in case I need to return the phone fast to keep unlimited data, i assume I only have 14 days from purchase, not receipt of the phone?

aaronesq

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site

Wow your wife got screwed then. If you used a basic line's upgrade there was no need to switch your wife off of UDP. This kind of sheet is why I hate Verizon reps. The guy screwed her over.

Where did you order it from - Verizon or 3rd party retailer? It won't make a difference for your udp line, but may make a difference for your wife's data max plan.

G3 was ordered from Verizon.....
Ya I now know we could have saved her UDP.....lesson learned to not trust the reps at all. Luckily she doesn't use much and rarely travels.

aaronesq

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site

First, if you use a non-UDP line's upgrade, there is no issue with losing UDP. You could use the sim card that shipped with the phone with no issues.

However, in case there is an issue with upgrading on a 6GB data max plan that could cause her to be bumped off of the 6GB plan - does her current sim card fit in the G3? If so, use that to activate the phone on her line first to avoid any pending order/activations being stuck on her line. Then put the sim card back in her old phone, which will free up the G3 to be on your line. You can use your existing sim card to put the G3 on your line if it fits.

Thanks man - followed your instructions exactly and I've got the G3 on the unlimited line and her S4 back on the 6gig line both the VZW website and my Verizon mobile all show the same account details.... took less than 2 mins.

Snipeye

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

Hi all. Status post here: It's been about one month since I did the upgrade via BB. I still have my UDP, and I just recently received and paid my bill; no increase or change to my terms. Still have my unlimited data plan of $29.99 (with a corporate discount lowering it even more).

Oh, and I also confirmed my belief. Verizon used to call me all the time about upgrading my phone and converting my plan to 2GB or similar, saying my history shows I rarely went above it. My response has been always I like the convenience and security in case I do need all that data, plus I wasn't using my then phone (Droid Razr) that much since I had a mp3 player for my music and podcasts, etc. Anyways, to get to the chase, last month, I was about 1.8 GB of data used. With my new S5, usage has jumped to just short of 15 GB, and I still have a few days left before the cycle resets. Still loving my S5.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

Hi all. Status post here: It's been about one month since I did the upgrade via BB. I still have my UDP, and I just recently received and paid my bill; no increase or change to my terms. Still have my unlimited data plan of $29.99 (with a corporate discount lowering it even more).

Oh, and I also confirmed my belief. Verizon used to call me all the time about upgrading my phone and converting my plan to 2GB or similar, saying my history shows I rarely went above it. My response has been always I like the convenience and security in case I do need all that data, plus I wasn't using my then phone (Droid Razr) that much since I had a mp3 player for my music and podcasts, etc. Anyways, to get to the chase, last month, I was about 1.8 GB of data used. With my new S5, usage has jumped to just short of 15 GB, and I still have a few days left before the cycle resets. Still loving my S5.

Nice

Scyzek

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site

Okay I'm the new brave person everybody has been waiting to see put their money and plan on the line. Here's what I just did.

I have 3 phones on my family plan. 1 is UDP, 1 is 2gb tier, 1 is a feature phone (ignore this entirely right now)
I transferred the upgrade from my UDP line to the 2gb tier line on verizonwireless.com
I bought a LG G3 from verizonwireless.com on the 2gb tier line on 8/29/2014.
I took the SIM card from my UDP line and put it in the LG G3 (same size thankfully)
Turned on the LG G3 with UDP SIM. Phone recognized the SIM and activated the device on its own with my UDP phone #.
I went to verizonwireless.com to my account. Account shows LG G3 activated on my UDP line and still shows UNLIMITED DATA
Contract on the UDP line has been extended by 2 years.

Not gonna lie I was nervous as all hell from reading this flamefest about what works and this and that and speculation running wild. Took a chance and it worked. I trusted the SIM card to do the magic people were already vouching for. Althought I was considering returning this to try BB method but I wanted to stay strong. I can provide more proof if the vast majority of you don't believe it otherwise here's my device with UDP intact as of tonight.

unlimited data.png

Vancouverbluz

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the post and of course I know the instructions. Just be sure to exchange the simm card with your old one. But since on Costco where it says you optioned a different data plan, wouldn't they fix it later? And if I somehow eliminated the switch order on the line. Would that lock me into udp?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781