[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

FDtruckman

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

No, if you have the increase already then you are stuck. If you don't have it then you can use a loophole to keep the lower rate

That's what I thought, but he mentioned that he now had 'The same old plan and the same old and lower rate'. I just wanted to double check his statement.

bunklung

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

So you were out of contract, and paying the additional $20 UDP fee, then got the new phone from BB, and now are back in contract for two years and the $20 fee is gone?

I was never paying the higher $20 fee. I was giving a notice that on Aug 27th it would increase by $20. Then the notice changed to Sept 8th for unknown reasons. THEN, I purchased on Sunday via the Best Buy Method.

DeathGrind

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site

Found a galaxy s6 on best buy for 1 dollar that had a shipping option. Bought it. Received it today, took out the sim and set it aside (will destroy later). Still have UDP, and contract till 2018 now. So everything looks good. Will post back with updates if needed.

Bummer I can't use the s6 but oh well have a nexus 6p anyway. Just to double check, it's OK to sale the s6 or activate it another account without effecting my UDP?

My brother has a UDP plan as well, would there be any problems if I just gave the phone to him?

I appreciate the help and advice from everyone. Thank you very much 🙂

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Found a galaxy s6 on best buy for 1 dollar that had a shipping option. Bought it. Received it today, took out the sim and set it aside (will destroy later). Still have UDP, and contract till 2018 now. So everything looks good. Will post back with updates if needed.

Bummer I can't use the s6 but oh well have a nexus 6p anyway. Just to double check, it's OK to sale the s6 or activate it another account without effecting my UDP?

My brother has a UDP plan as well, would there be any problems if I just gave the phone to him?

There should be no problem giving the phone to your brother.

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site

As long as it isn't activated on your account you're good to go :)

Posted via the Android Central App

FDtruckman

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

If I'm paying the $20 UDP fee now (out of contract), can I still get a new phone via BB (And either sell it or give it away) and retain my UDP with a new 2 year contract? I know the $20 fee will stick with my plan.

And say I order a Samsung Galaxy S7, if I activate a different S7 (A phone ordered by someone else in the same situation) on my line, would that be an issue? Or do I need to activate different new model phone on my line?

Details: I'm on a single line UDP plan, out of contract.

I was never paying the higher $20 fee. I was giving a notice that on Aug 27th it would increase by $20. Then the notice changed to Sept 8th for unknown reasons. THEN, I purchased on Sunday via the Best Buy Method.

Cool, thanks for clarifying that. I'm glad it's still working that way via BB.

I missed my opportunity back in June, too much going on at the time.

cxwell3

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site

I was able to purchase and activate a Samsung S7 through Best Buy. It's been two days and I still have unlimited data.

I was put on the 49.99 ULD plan by Verizon about a week ago. Right after that happened 2 year contracts started showing up as available on verizonwireless.com. The site would let me get all the way to the checkout page and would then advise me to call to complete my upgrade. I decided to try bestbuy.com and was able to order the phone all the way through. There were two spots where it said that I'd lose my unlimited but I decided to take a chance. I activated the phone with the sim card it came with and immediately checked to see if my data changed. It's been three days and I still have unlimited. The equipment upgrade documentation I received from Verizon shows the $49.99 unlimited plan on my account.

I believe Verizon's policy on unlimited data has unofficially changed but they've been slow to announce it. I can't think of another reason that 2 year contracts would show up right after my unlimited plan was changed to be $20 more.

Your mileage may vary but I was able to make the change successfully.

I'll update the forum if anything changes.

Good luck to all.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

If I'm paying the $20 UDP fee now (out of contract), can I still get a new phone via BB (And either sell it or give it away) and retain my UDP with a new 2 year contract? I know the $20 fee will stick with my plan.

And say I order a Samsung Galaxy S7, if I activate a different S7 (A phone ordered by someone else in the same situation) on my line, would that be an issue? Or do I need to activate different new model phone on my line?

Details: I'm on a single line UDP plan, out of contract.

Cool, thanks for clarifying that. I'm glad it's still working that way via BB.

I missed my opportunity back in June, too much going on at the time.

Yes you will be on a new 2 year contract and yes you can activate an S7 from another account.

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

So I understand the BB method changed a while back and you can no longer activate the phone you receive from them or you will loose unlimited. It seems the work around would be to sell the phone you get and then purchase one full retail.

I've done some reading and also heard people mention that you CAN still use the phone you get from BB as long as you remove the sim and then activate the phone on a different account. So my question is this.

Can I do the BB method to get a new two year contract.. When I receive the phone destroy the sim card and then have my. Mom or dad activate it on there completely separate Verizon account.. Then once that's done just activate it on my own IDK account??

Let me know if this is correct.. I don't want to make my bill go up with a device payment plan. Also I am worried that if I do the method of selling the phone that I won't be able to find anyone to buy it for around the price of what it would cost to buy another at full retail.. Thanks!!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The phone can't be used on the line in which the UDP upgrade came from.

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

The phone can't be used on the line in which the UDP upgrade came from.

Even if it's activated on a completely separate account with a different sim first?

Also just went on BBs website quick. I know this is a loophole but I noticed at the bottom it specifically says that people with UDP will lose it if they checkout with a 2 yearc ontract. Not sure.if that's always been there or not

"Those customers Upgrading with a 2-Yr contract who have an Unlimited Data package will be enrolled in the Verizon 2GB Data Plan for that line for $30/month. If you complete this transaction, Unlimited Data cannot be returned to your line of service"

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Even if it's activated on a completely separate account with a different sim first?

Also just went on BBs website quick. I know this is a loophole but I noticed at the bottom it specifically says that people with UDP will lose it if they checkout with a 2 yearc ontract. Not sure.if that's always been there or not

"Those customers Upgrading with a 2-Yr contract who have an Unlimited Data package will be enrolled in the Verizon 2GB Data Plan for that line for $30/month. If you complete this transaction, Unlimited Data cannot be returned to your line of service"
That message has always been there.

There isn't much data from people who activate from a separate account first (most use a line on the same account) You are welcome to try, I wouldn't advise it because I believe that it is tied to the phone number.

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

That message has always been there.

There isn't much data from people who activate from a separate account first (most use a line on the same account) You are welcome to try, I wouldn't advise it because I believe that it is tied to the phone number.

Thanks. Any idea if I'd actually be able to sell say a Galaxy s7 for just about what it would cost retail.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

New S7 is going for around $460-465 on Swappa.

https://swappa.com/buy/samsung-galaxy-s7-verizon/us?ref=mobilenations&data1=UUacUvbUpU5283264

Get the iPhone 7 immediately when it comes out, and sell immediately, if you want to get the most from reselling.

I may have to do this. So I would still be under a two year contract and have my unlimited data if someone else uses the phone?

Both my brother in law and I still have unlimited data. If we both upgrade through bestbuy.com and trade phones when they come in, we should be good right?

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

I may have to do this. So I would still be under a two year contract and have my unlimited data if someone else uses the phone?

Both my brother in law and I still have unlimited data. If we both upgrade through bestbuy.com and trade phones when they come in, we should be good right?

Yea that should 100℅ work. Just make sure to destroy both sims that come with the phones first . Wish I had someone to do that with.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Yes, just make sure it never ends up on the line in which the UDP upgrade originated

darkman265

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

After destroying the sim can you put the phone on another line on your account that has UDP?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay