[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

If you are on an old plan then you should see it online. On the Verizon plan, you might have to call in our go to a corporate store to get a phone on 2 year contract

Is this the last 2yr subsidised upgrade? If you use this will there be another in 2yrs?

AspenQn

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

Ok, know this is stupid, but how do you take out the nano sim from the S6 Edge?

4truegrit

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

Ok, know this is stupid, but how do you take out the nano sim from the S6 Edge?
Sim Card tray located on top left corner of phone. If You don't have the sim card eject tool that came with it, then you can try like a small paper clip or other objects similar size that fits in the hole. Apply a little pressure to pop the tray out.

mykey22

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site

I will definitely check this Thursday or Friday

I can confirm that 7 days before your contract end date, you are eligible for upgrade. I ordered an s7 from BB for my udp 29.99 line last night and my contract end date is 9/1.

I do have another question. How will vzw know to renew my contract if I throw away new sim card and sell/trade new phone? Does it automatically happen simply because I bought a subsidized phone?

Thanks for your responses.

tmilicia

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site

I was told that, yes, your contract automatically resets when you get a subsidized phone. However, that didn't happen for me. I bought the subsidized phone and my contract never reset, so I got caught up in the udp increase. Due to a "computer glitch", I even still have the upgrade available on my udp line, so I may grab another phone and just sell it on swappa.

douggw

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

Quote Originally Posted by douggw View Post
So could I uprade L4, normally, but use that phone on one of the other lines, that don't have the upgrade until next year and still keep UDP?

Thanks for the help. Since I'm "upgrading" on the $50 UDP plan, and I am going to put the phone on a different line, do I still need to get rid of the sim card? It won't mess things up if suddenly the phones shows up on another line?

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I can confirm that 7 days before your contract end date, you are eligible for upgrade. I ordered an s7 from BB for my udp 29.99 line last night and my contract end date is 9/1.

I do have another question. How will vzw know to renew my contract if I throw away new sim card and sell/trade new phone? Does it automatically happen simply because I bought a subsidized phone?

Thanks for your responses.
The upgrade will be automatically pushed once they send out the phone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I was told that, yes, your contract automatically resets when you get a subsidized phone. However, that didn't happen for me. I bought the subsidized phone and my contract never reset, so I got caught up in the udp increase. Due to a "computer glitch", I even still have the upgrade available on my udp line, so I may grab another phone and just sell it on swappa.
Sometimes it happens but it is rare ... I would always double check to make sure that the upgrade date is pushed. If not you can contact Verizon and they can fix it

AspenQn

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

Ok, I am really confused after reading a lot of these posts! I would like to upgrade my UDP line which currently has a S6Edge on it which has started acting up to a S7Edge. What is my best course of action? I am on the grandfathered Nationwide 450 paying $49.99 UDP and my husband is on another plan which is not eligible for an upgrade for another 6 months. The VZW store told me I could keep my UDP get a new phone under the device payment plan, taking $300 for a trade-in off the full retail price, and dividing remaining amount over 24 months. However, it sounds like a lot of you are finding subsidized phones cheaper. Can someone point me in the right direction?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Ok, I am really confused after reading a lot of these posts! I would like to upgrade my UDP line which currently has a S6Edge on it which has started acting up to a S7Edge. What is my best course of action? I am on the grandfathered Nationwide 450 paying $49.99 UDP and my husband is on another plan which is not eligible for an upgrade for another 6 months. The VZW store told me I could keep my UDP get a new phone under the device payment plan, taking $300 for a trade-in off the full retail price, and dividing remaining amount over 24 months. However, it sounds like a lot of you are finding subsidized phones cheaper. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I assume you are paying the extra $20 ($29.99 for UDP plus the extra $20 = 49.99). If that is the case you can upgrade using the 2 year subsidized price and keep your UDP.

Chuck73080

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

I assume you are paying the extra $20 ($29.99 for UDP plus the extra $20 = 49.99). If that is the case you can upgrade using the 2 year subsidized price and keep your UDP.

This loophole has been closed now. The VZ website will not show an option for subsidized pricing. It worked on 8/5 for my wife, but my brother has been trying for two days without success.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

This loophole has been closed now. The VZ website will not show an option for subsidized pricing. It worked on 8/5 for my wife, but my brother has been trying for two days without success.
Not surprised... It was a glitch to begin with.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

The subsidized two year contract is not a loop hole, if your last phone was a two year contract you can still do a two year contract. But if you bought your last phone from Verizon any other way you can no longer do a two year contract. Like I said not a loop hole.

AspenQn

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for info. Guess I am stuck because I have long been out of contract, and paid full retail last year when I upgraded to the S6edge. Looks like I can find a new resale S7edge on Swappa cheaper than going through Verizon, but it would be a hassle -- would have to purchase new phone, wait to receive it, and trade out SIM cards from my S6edge....then turn around and have to sell my S6edge with them and pay small seller fee. This phone business is a racket!

My fast charge stopped working after the most recent software update with Verizon this past week. Took into store over the weekend and even after two guys and the Store Manager worked on it, nothing fixed. Took in my charger and two different cables which had been working until update, they tried various cable in the store to no avail. Their suggestion??? WHY DON'T YOU GET A NEW PHONE ON ONE OF OUR NEW PLANS!!! I still have the grandfathered unlimited data plan so who knows what they are up to?

Last edited:

racquetballer

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

The subsidized two year contract is not a loop hole, if your last phone was a two year contract you can still do a two year contract. But if you bought your last phone from Verizon any other way you can no longer do a two year contract. Like I said not a loop hole.

I had been out of contract for over 4 yrs. Bought my last 2 phones (Note 3 & Note 4) off swappa. My last phone through VZW was a long time ago and it was on a 2 yr contract back then. Fast forward to 8/17/16 and I was able to get the subsidized Note 7 and a contract extension for 2 years. For background info.. I've been paying the price increase from 29.99 to $49.99 for UDP since sometime last year.

I was able to keep my udp, mobile hotspot, and TALK & TEXT PLUS DATA $20 DISC. Of course YMMV. If it's a loop hole I'm glad I got in before they closed it.

BTW My daughter's line still has the $30 Verizon Max 6GB (No longer available?) and TALK & TEXT PLUS DATA $20 DISC

1st bill since Note 7 upgrade comes in 4 days... Hopefully it'll be the same $ amount as my old bill as the email from VZW described.

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

Ditto previous...

Last phone or two were purchased used, not contract/subsidized. Been paying $50 for UDP since Nov., out if contract for at least a year.

The VZW site was definitely offering a 2-year contract, non-DPP price a couple weeks ago. Instead, I went to BB and got a Moto Z (+ speaker mod) for $1, while renewing my contract.

UDP still intact.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I had been out of contract for over 4 yrs. Bought my last 2 phones (Note 3 & Note 4) off swappa. My last phone through VZW was a long time ago and it was on a 2 yr contract back then. Fast forward to 8/17/16 and I was able to get the subsidized Note 7 and a contract extension for 2 years. For background info.. I've been paying the price increase from 29.99 to $49.99 for UDP since sometime last year.

I was able to keep my udp, mobile hotspot, and TALK & TEXT PLUS DATA $20 DISC. Of course YMMV. If it's a loop hole I'm glad I got in before they closed it.

BTW My daughter's line still has the $30 Verizon Max 6GB (No longer available?) and TALK & TEXT PLUS DATA $20 DISC

1st bill since Note 7 upgrade comes in 4 days... Hopefully it'll be the same $ amount as my old bill as the email from VZW described.

Like I said it's not a loop hole, and the last phone you bought off of Verizon (no matter how long ago) was a 2 year contract that is why you was able to do it again. You can by a new or used phone every month from somebody other then Verizon and it doesn't matter, just phones you by from them.

I'm assuming your daughter's was a two year contract too, so you will be able to get a subsidized phone for her also.

As far as getting the subsidized the plan didn't matter, just that your previous phone bought on that contact was a 2 year subsidized contact.

Chuck73080

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Like I said it's not a loop hole, and the last phone you bought off of Verizon (no matter how long ago) was a 2 year contract that is why you was able to do it again. You can by a new or used phone every month from somebody other then Verizon and it doesn't matter, just phones you by from them.

I'm assuming your daughter's was a two year contract too, so you will be able to get a subsidized phone for her also.

As far as getting the subsidized the plan didn't matter, just that your previous phone bought on that contact was a 2 year subsidized contact.

Call it what you want, I was under contract until 8/12 @ $29.99 for UDP and after getting a subsidized price for my wife on 8/5, who'd been out of contract for over a year and paid full price for her 128GB S6, was looking forward to the next billing cycle when my UDP increased to $49.99 so I could do the same:-/

I told my brother to upgrade on 8/5 but he waited to long...

Guess I'll keep rocking my Nexus 6P and wait to see if Samsung releases an unlocked Note 7.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Call it what you want, I was under contract until 8/12 @ $29.99 for UDP and after getting a subsidized price for my wife on 8/5, who'd been out of contract for over a year and paid full price for her 128GB S6, was looking forward to the next billing cycle when my UDP increased to $49.99 so I could do the same:-/

I told my brother to upgrade on 8/5 but he waited to long...

Guess I'll keep rocking my Nexus 6P and wait to see if Samsung releases an unlocked Note 7.

Maybe your brother is doing something wrong on the site or his bill isn't paid up to date or something. I will take what other members are posting that they did other then an members brother who can't get it to work.