[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

mykey22

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Anybody else use the Verizon loophole to buy the note 7 on the subsidized deal. Now I have to return the note 7. Just wondering if they will see that It should've changed to the 2 GB plan on one of my lines. I will probably lose my unlimited data upon returning the Note 7. I purchased it on pre-order through Verizon online. Threw The Sim card away and used it on the other unlimited line. The pending activation already fell off the line. Samsung won't take it back directly. Verizon is like my only option in store.

What verizon loophole? Were you on a $49.99 udp month-to-month when you got the subsidized note 7?

4truegrit

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

What verizon loophole? Were you on a $49.99 udp month-to-month when you got the subsidized note 7?
*$29.99 unlimited data customer on 2 lines.
L1 UDP no upgrade available
L2 UDP upgrade available
I Ordered Galaxy Note 7 with line 2's upgrade.. when I received phone destroyed SIM card.
Insert line 1 SIM into Note 7. Just Never use subsidized phone on line 2 or will lose unlimited data on that line.. it extended my contract for two years and I remain on the 29.99 Unlimited.
My worry is if I do the exchange at the store they'll start looking at my account and see what I did and remove my unlimited data. Not sure exactly how that will go. Was wondering if anybody else was in the same boat and how they handled it.

Bosgarage57

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Nationwide talk and text,

L1 UDP, still paying 29.99. No upgrade
L2 TDP, upgrade available
L3 basic phone, upgrade available

Can I use any of the 2 upgrades and get a new smartphone and put on L1, UDP? I'm thinking no, I would have to sell it.

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site

Just discover this thread and looking for advise for my situation:

1) Business account (under EIN) with 3 lines each with UDP (shared Nationwide talk and text)
2) 1 line will be out of contract at the end of the week and its current upgrade eligible

Trying to extend the contract on this line to avoid the $20 UDP hike. Found out BBM does not work on Business accounts (BB can't verify the account with Verizon). A search comes up with conflicting posts about whether the $20 fees applies to business accounts. The last post in March reads "If you have a business account, the extra fee isn't added."

Is this still the case? If not, is there an alternative BBM for business accounts? Thank you in advance.

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site

*$29.99 unlimited data customer on 2 lines.
L1 UDP no upgrade available
L2 UDP upgrade available
I Ordered Galaxy Note 7 with line 2's upgrade.. when I received phone destroyed SIM card.
Insert line 1 SIM into Note 7. Just Never use subsidized phone on line 2 or will lose unlimited data on that line.. it extended my contract for two years and I remain on the 29.99 Unlimited.
My worry is if I do the exchange at the store they'll start looking at my account and see what I did and remove my unlimited data. Not sure exactly how that will go. Was wondering if anybody else was in the same boat and how they handled it.

This.
I'm on the same boat but in my case I used BBM.
My friend and I swapped GN7 (BBM on both), I tried to exchange it today at bestbuy and they won't let me swap/use my UDP sim card.
Apparently, they are using new sim card that's on the phone and calling VZW csr to activate. That's a red flag for me because the last time that happened, I lost my UDP since I've been doing BBM for the past 4 years (Luckily IPR restored it).
I immediately halt that process and told them I'm on my lunch break and gotta leave asap.
Anyone here manage to exchange their GN7 successfully?

douggw

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

REPORTING BACK:

This was my scenario:
L1 UDP $29 in contract until 2017, no upgrade
L2 UDP $29 in contract until 2017, no upgrade
L3 UDP $29 in contract until 2017, no upgrade
L4 UDP $49, out of contract, month to month, upgrade available.

I upgraded L4 using BB, and activated the new phone on L2. L4 contract was extended 2 years, and L2 remains $29. I did not swap or destroy sim card - just activated new phone on L2.

agentxavier

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

My situation:
L1 UDP $29 in contract until 2017, no upgrade
L2 UDP $29 in contract until 2017, no upgrade
L3 UDP $29 in contract until 2017, no upgrade
L4 UDP $29 in contract upgrade available now Contract end: 10/20/2016
L5 UDP $29 in contract upgrade available now Contract end: 10/20/2016

I do not care about the phones I will sell them I just want to keep $29.99. I am wondering can I order the phone upgrades from verizon for L4 and L5 get locked into another 2 years before my contract expires, destroy the sim's that came with the phones, and then sell the phones. I am thinking iphone 7 because they are easier to sell but do I have to activate the phones somehow before I sell them? Thanks in advance.

tuminatr

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site

Hello, I have a UDB contract end date 10-4-2016 billing cycle end date 10-11-2016 if I use the BB method of buy destroy new sim and sell the device is that enough time for the contract to go through or should I call and have my bill cycle changed

2nd part I noticed for selling the new phone Ebay is mentioned can you also sell on swappa or Craigslist?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Hello, I have a UDB contract end date 10-4-2016 billing cycle end date 10-11-2016 if I use the BB method of buy destroy new sim and sell the device is that enough time for the contract to go through or should I call and have my bill cycle changed

2nd part I noticed for selling the new phone Ebay is mentioned can you also sell on swappa or Craigslist?

Thanks in advance

I would recommend to change the billing cycle date to be safe. But in theory you should be ok.

You can sell in cl or Swappa if you want

wvman25053

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site

I have read through the forum but I might have missed what might have applied to me:

Single unlimited line with contract ending 9/29/16. Want to renew to avoid the $20 dollar increase and lock in another 2 years. Last time I tried to use BBM my order would not go through and got the dreaded email to contact Best Buy. Cancelled order and ended up going with Costco then. Rules have changed since then. Would I be able to upgrade on Verizon's website? Destroy the SIM and then sell the phone?

emcsq

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site

Hi. I'm hoping you all can help me. I've posted in Slickdeals but have not been able to get a reply.

We have the following:
Loyalty family share 500 minutes, L2 also has a $10/month text plan
L1: TDP, Upgrade available, iPhone 6, month-to-month
L2: UDP, Upgrade available, Samsung S5 (& broken S6), CED 12/16

All of the existing devices are paid off. Ideally, we would like to extend the L2 contract at $29.99, and get an S7 to replace the broken S6. Will the following work:

1) Transfer L2 upgrade to L1, upgrade to S7 using VzW promo code and trade-in an old LG G4 from last year
2) Put the L2 SIM card in the new S7 and proceed to use it on the UDP line
3) Will the L1 upgrade be preserved? If so, trade-in iPhone 6 and use L1's upgrade for new IPhone 7 from VzW

Please let me know if this procedure would cause us to lose UDP on L2. Also, will we avoid the UDP price hike?

I would really appreciate any help. Thanks!

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Hi. I'm hoping you all can help me. I've posted in Slickdeals but have not been able to get a reply.

We have the following:
Loyalty family share 500 minutes, L2 also has a $10/month text plan
L1: TDP, Upgrade available, iPhone 6, month-to-month
L2: UDP, Upgrade available, Samsung S5 (& broken S6), CED 12/16

All of the existing devices are paid off. Ideally, we would like to extend the L2 contract at $29.99, and get an S7 to replace the broken S6. Will the following work:

1) Transfer L2 upgrade to L1, upgrade to S7 using VzW promo code and trade-in an old LG G4 from last year
2) Put the L2 SIM card in the new S7 and proceed to use it on the UDP line
3) Will the L1 upgrade be preserved? If so, trade-in iPhone 6 and use L1's upgrade for new IPhone 7 from VzW

Please let me know if this procedure would cause us to lose UDP on L2. Also, will we avoid the UDP price hike?

I would really appreciate any help. Thanks!

You probably haven't been helped because it's very clear you have not read anything at all recent in the threads or maybe even nothing at all.

1. You can not transfer an upgrade to a line that already has one.

2. If you ever put a phone on the same line the upgrade came from (even if it was transferred) you will lose your UDP.

emcsq

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site

You probably haven't been helped because it's very clear you have not read anything at all recent in the threads or maybe even nothing at all.

2. If you ever put a phone on the same line the upgrade came from (even if it was transferred) you will lose your UDP.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I did the 4ever method in 12/2014. I have spent hours trying to catch up to recent developments, but the SD wiki is a very confusing garbled mess since JulesJam is no longer there. With almost 27,000 posts on SD and over 12,000 here, it's hard to keep track. I was just looking for confirmation.

Since you have kept up, could you make a suggestion on the best way to preserve UDP at $29.99? From the reading I did, it seems like I can only do BBM and sell. I was just hoping for something more straightforward, hence my post. Do you know if there are any other options?

emcsq

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site

So, then according to your caveats, can I flip the scenario? Can I use the TDP upgrade to get an S7, then put the S6 SIM in the S7 and use it on the UDP line? Then later on, transfer the UDP upgrade to the TDP line and get an iPhone 7 that will only ever be used on the TDP. Would that work?

Bosgarage57

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

So, then according to your caveats, can I flip the scenario? Can I use the TDP upgrade to get an S7, then put the S6 SIM in the S7 and use it on the UDP line? Then later on, transfer the UDP upgrade to the TDP line and get an iPhone 7 that will only ever be used on the TDP. Would that work?
I believe if you use an upgrade on a line to receive a discounted price (2 year agreement), you need to sell the phone you receive or trade with someone. That IMEI number cannot be on your line.

emcsq

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site

I believe if you use an upgrade on a line to receive a discounted price (2 year agreement), you need to sell the phone you receive or trade with someone. That IMEI number cannot be on your line.

Thank you. I did read that, but what I was unsure about was there that IMEI could be used on a different line within the same family account. The two lines do not share data, just talk minutes. Any idea?

emcsq

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site

Thank you. I did read that, but what I was unsure about was there that IMEI could be used on a different line within the same family account. The two lines do not share data, just talk minutes. Any idea?

I.e., from the SD Wiki, is this method working right now?

"4ever Method and Leave the Phone on the TDP Line

When you do the 4ever Method, it is the UDP line's upgrade that is used and it is the UDP line's contract that is extended, not the TDP line's. The TDP line's contract end date and upgrade date do not change when you do the 4ever Method.

1) Log onto Verizon, Comcast or Best Buy and transfer your UDP line's upgrade to a TDP line that is not currently eligible for its own upgrade;
2) Order the new smartphone you want on the TDP line selecting the TDP line's same data plan if required to select a data plan; and
3) When the new smartphone arrives, activate it on the TDP line according to the directions that came with the phone using the SIM card that ships with the phone.

If you do 4ever Method and Leave the Phone on the TDP Line, I would never put the new subsidized smartphone on the UDP line whose upgrade was used to purchase the new subsidized smartphone."

Last edited:

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Yes that will work, sorry about before it is hard to keep track. One reason I keep up with the thread even if I don't have an upgrade.

emcsq

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site

Thank you! I stopped keeping up after they announced the price hike because I assumed all work-arounds would be eliminated. But we use FoxFi so my kids can do school work on the go, and my preschooler uses an insane amount of data with PBS kids, so we would like to figure out a way to keep it at $29.99. We have a few months, but with the broken S6, I figured I needed to act sooner rather than later. Fingers crossed we do not run into any snags, or I may have to come back and question you experts some more!

marki86

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Line 1 UDP, about to have upgrade available
Line 2 UDP, no upgrade available
Line 3 TDP, no upgrade available

Can I transfer upgrade to TDP, order phone, then activate on line 2? All without losing UDP on either line.