[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

drew0823

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I read through the past few months worth of posts and noticed a few people were able to upgrade/renew their contracts on $49.99 UDP lines through Best Buy without having to do anything special. Has anyone done it recently? Does it still work? I tried to do it through VZW, but it wouldn't let me upgrade my UDP line or transfer the upgrade to a TDP line without selecting a new data plan.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

I thought that those on the $49.99 UDP plan could upgrade without going through any hoops. It's "legal" with Verizon if you are paying the higher rate. Now if you are still on the $29.99 plan then that's a different story.

kool_zero

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site

You can activate it directly on UDP line since the upgrade came from a tdp line

So I just got the line 3 phone in from Apple. This line was a TDP. Before I turned the device on, I put my sim from the UDP line in it. When turning on and going through the activation, it wants me to confirm the activation phone number (which shows the TDP number, not the UDP number). Do I activate and then have to call Verizon to get the devices swapped? OR what do I need to do here to keep from losing the UDP or be put no the higher rate UDP plan? Also, the TDP line shows pending activation on Verizon.

Wondering If I can put the original sim back in it that it came with, and activate on the TDP line, and then swap it some how? Thoughts and suggestions?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Go through Verizon online and activate it on the UDP line using the sim card that came with the phone

kool_zero

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site

You can activate it directly on UDP line since the upgrade came from a tdp line

Go through Verizon online and activate it on the UDP line using the sim card that came with the phone
I did this, turned the phone on and it just sits at that same activation screen with the TDP phone number wanting me to confirm it.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I did this, turned the phone on and it just sits at that same activation screen with the TDP phone number wanting me to confirm it.

Put the SIM that came with the phone back in it. Activate the phone on the TDP you ordered it on.

Go to Verizon online and put the old phone from that line back on it. That will free up the new phone you just bought.

Then while still on Verizon online put the new phone on your UDP line. Or put the SIM card from that line into the phone.

kool_zero

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site

Put the SIM that came with the phone back in it. Activate the phone on the TDP you ordered it on.

Go to Verizon online and put the old phone from that line back on it. That will free up the new phone you just bought.

Then while still on Verizon online put the new phone on your UDP line. Or put the SIM card from that line into the phone.

Well, interestingly enough, I just hit next to activate the phone on the TDP (on the phone screen), it activated, and then shows UDP number. It looks like since I had activated online, it just had to go through its process. I didn't swap anything around and no data changes seem to have been made. Fingers crossed it stays like this and no further action is needed. Thanks for all the help!

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Well, interestingly enough, I just hit next to activate the phone on the TDP (on the phone screen), it activated, and then shows UDP number. It looks like since I had activated online, it just had to go through its process. I didn't swap anything around and no data changes seem to have been made. Fingers crossed it stays like this and no further action is needed. Thanks for all the help!

Good news, keep enjoying the UDP!

pdxcraigslist

May 7, 2014
Visit site

So I ordered for bestbuy in store pick up. Any tips on not letting them activate it in store?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

So I ordered for bestbuy in store pick up. Any tips on not letting them activate it in store?

What does your email say? I ordered from BB with on store pick up and the email said to pick it up at the Store Pickup Area (or something to that effect). Ends up that is by the regular cashiers and they don't activate your phone anymore. She told me they only activate new accounts now. So I never even went by the cell phone area of the store.

Now I can't say that is true for every BB but was my experience.

pdxcraigslist

May 7, 2014
Visit site

Thank you. Email says go to Store Pick up counter. Sure hope there's no issues walking out without activating.

DobieG1970

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site

Hi! Wanted to run a scenario by you....

I currently have $49.99 UDP. My Verizon friend, on an entirely separate account, is willing to purchase new phone on 2-year contract and give me the phone. It will be a 2-year contract price not a DPP. We plan on doing through Best Buy online. When she gets the phone, I will have her activate the phone on her account and then put my sim in after she's agreed to all the contract stuff. Will this impact my UDP?

I'm currently using a Note 4, which I will give to her. Is there any problem in requesting a nano sim from Verizon or should I just cut my current micro sim? Is there any benefit to having a newer sim card? The current micro sim card I use is about 3 years old.

Thank so much for the help!

a4udi98

May 6, 2011
Visit site

Tried looked through a few of the most recent pages here but couldn't find any straight answer...

Have UDP paying $29.99, not yet hit with $20 increase. Contract expired in 2013.

Would like to pick up the V20, but am I correct in thinking that I wont be able to buy on DPP and keep unlimited until the $20 increase hits? Figuring as such, I'll probably just wait and buy full retail -

thanks

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Hi! Wanted to run a scenario by you....

I currently have $49.99 UDP. My Verizon friend, on an entirely separate account, is willing to purchase new phone on 2-year contract and give me the phone. It will be a 2-year contract price not a DPP. We plan on doing through Best Buy online. When she gets the phone, I will have her activate the phone on her account and then put my sim in after she's agreed to all the contract stuff. Will this impact my UDP?

I'm currently using a Note 4, which I will give to her. Is there any problem in requesting a nano sim from Verizon or should I just cut my current micro sim? Is there any benefit to having a newer sim card? The current micro sim card I use is about 3 years old.

Thank so much for the help!

Your situation should be ok... But having a rep touch unlimited data while in theory should be ok, has proved problematic for some people

DobieG1970

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site

Your situation should be ok... But having a rep touch unlimited data while in theory should be ok, has proved problematic for some people

Hopefully, no rep will be involved. My friend's plan is TDP. Hoping that she can buy the phone on her upgrade and just hand it over to me. Not sure if I should just cut my sim so I don't have to involve Verizon at all - or if I should get a nano sim and activate it (which may involve a rep).

caseyfriday

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site

I have a Consumer Business account with only one line on it, UDP $29.99 + $15 (30 mins). Upgrade is available now, contract ends 11/01/2016. Best Buy won't let me upgrade, likely because it's a business account. Iconic portal tries to take away my UDP when I try to upgrade.
iconic.jpg
I want to get an iPhone 7 Plus and use it on my AT&T prepaid account (never Verizon), and then sell the in-contract UDP. Should I add a line, transfer the upgrade to that line, then just wait for the PU to drop off and delete that line? Will that extend the UDP line another 2 years?

Edit: After speaking with a VZW rep (who was actually nice about everything), it seems like I can't get an upgrade on this line, period. I'll lose UDP one way or another, or have to do DPP instead of 2-year contract renewal. I'll just sell the line.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy