Page 3 of 111 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree263Likes

Default Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Definitely, Please let us know how it turns out. Just remember when you get the new phone to activate it on the line you tranferred the upgrade to first.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by ClintRo View Post
    I have attempted it online. Going to see what happens. I was able to transfer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    It's probably wishful thinking to ask if you have had any luck so far yet so soon.

Hi, I have 2 phones with UNLIMITED DATA and 2 "dumb" phones.

I will do the same thing as mentioned above. However, I do have a question. When you cancel the data upgrade on the "dumb" phone line, would they not ask for the device back? The upgrade is usually only on the lines that have data on them, if you cancel the data plan on that "dumb" phone, will they not ask for the device back or charge cancellation fees? Or you avoid it by transfering the upgrade from the Unlimited plan?

Global Posts
    5,749 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by MRMAV View Post
    Hi, I have 2 phones with UNLIMITED DATA and 2 "dumb" phones.

I will do the same thing as mentioned above. However, I do have a question. When you cancel the data upgrade on the "dumb" phone line, would they not ask for the device back? The upgrade is usually only on the lines that have data on them, if you cancel the data plan on that "dumb" phone, will they not ask for the device back or charge cancellation fees? Or you avoid it by transfering the upgrade from the Unlimited plan?
    No to both. They want you to keep the device and the service. The requirement to have the data plan is due to having the smart device, so when it's no longer on that line, the requirement goes with it. The contract is not for the device, it's for the line.. so as long as you don't deactivate the line, ECF is a non issue. I'm somewhat over simplifying, but they're not going to hunt down a customer for doing this.

I hope you are right! Thx for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    No to both. They want you to keep the device and the service. The requirement to have the data plan is due to having the smart device, so when it's no longer on that line, the requirement goes with it. The contract is not for the device, it's for the line.. so as long as you don't deactivate the line, ECF is a non issue. I'm somewhat over simplifying, but they're not going to hunt down a customer for doing this.

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

I'm due for an upgrade on my unlimited data line....I have a second dumb phone line that isn't due for an upgrade for quite some time still....how do I transfer my unlimited upgrade to my dumb line so I can retain my unlimited plan and still get the subsidized phone?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    10,020 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF 3.0 Sense

No update yet.... Still waiting on the device, must be on back order. I will update when it comes in and I move them around.

Thanked by:

Hope this works I'm due for upgrade in June.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX, but webOS is always in me...

This is what I was able to do:

Best Buy: Transfer upgrade from Unlimited to dumbphone on line, added data plan.
    Tell the guy to be sure not to touch the plan on unlimited. Activated new phone there.
    Went home, logged in to vzw, went to switch device, and readded the dumb phone to its original line.
    (They had super easy prompts to do this where the esn/imei was already saved)
    Reactivated dumbphone on its line.
    Went back to switch device, selected unlimited line and entered sim number from new phone, powered up new phone and once the sim re-programmed (took 20 minutes for me) I had a new upgraded unlimited phone on the line. With same contract details and contract renewed on that line till 2015.

The next day I received an email thanking me for staying with Verizon.
    2 days later I received email about the plan changes and made sure the unlimited was there and still is.

I'm on a share everything plan with the rest of the family, dad's still on his old single-line unlimited plan and paying month-to-month with it off contract, but his old 3G droid's pretty much dead. How feasible is it to get something 4G, say off ebay for instance, and upgrade with that? or will he have to stay 3G to stay unlimited?

Global Posts
    5,749 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by christiebunny View Post
    I'm on a share everything plan with the rest of the family, dad's still on his old single-line unlimited plan and paying month-to-month with it off contract, but his old 3G droid's pretty much dead. How feasible is it to get something 4G, say off ebay for instance, and upgrade with that? or will he have to stay 3G to stay unlimited?
    The phone will have to be compatible with Verizon's networks (CDMA) and you can double check with their customer service or with the forums here with the specific device. He can purchase any phone he wants though, and Verizon will generate a new sim for free for use in the phone. This should not result in any contract needed and/or fees and should also automatically put the phone on LTE assuming the device is compatible. Depending on the grandfathered plan, the data fee for unlimited may be slightly different, (mine went from 29.95 to 30.00), but my data plan remained unlimted doing this as well.

He can also buy a phone from Verizon at full retail without changing the plan. The only thing that "forces" the modification of the plan is buying a subsidized device on a line that has unlimited, hence the need for the work around.

The data fee for unlimited may be slightly different, (mine went from 29.95 to 30.00), but my data plan remained unlimted doing this as well.
    So when you login to My Verizon Online it still shows you have unlimited. In the past, I know when people went from 3G to 4G or 3g to 3g, or 4G to 4G, it kept the same $29.99 data pricing for Unlimited and the feature code attached to that plan was 73715.

That's why when tiered data went unto affect it dinged people twice, not only capping your usage but raising the price as well---from $29.99 to $30

If Verizon has changed unlimited pricing from $29.99 to $30, that's news to me, but it's certainly possible.

Global Posts
    5,749 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
    So when you login to My Verizon Online it still shows you have unlimited. In the past, I know when people went from 3G to 4G or 3g to 3g, or 4G to 4G, it kept the same $29.99 data pricing for Unlimited and the feature code attached to that plan was 73715.

That's why when tiered data went unto affect it dinged people twice, not only capping your usage but raising the price as well---from $29.99 to $30

If Verizon has changed unlimited pricing from $29.99 to $30, that's news to me, but it's certainly possible.
    Yeah, you're right I was confusing the two lines. We're still on a plan where way pay for voice/messaging allotments and data all separately, plan is about 4 years old. My wife's data is the 4GB for 30.00 when they were running 4 for the price of 2 last winter. Mine is 29.99 for unlimited.

Will this absolutely not work if the phone is bought from a third-party like Amazon? The discount price for the phone (Droid DNA) is $50 there as opposed to $200 directly from Verizon. The price difference is pretty hard to pass up.

Global Posts
    5,749 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Y View Post
    Will this absolutely not work if the phone is bought from a third-party like Amazon? The discount price for the phone (Droid DNA) is $50 there as opposed to $200 directly from Verizon. The price difference is pretty hard to pass up.
    Yes, also keep in mind most Best Buy stores will honor amazon online prices.

Yes, also keep in mind most Best Buy stores will honor amazon online prices.
    So it will not work with Amazon but will with Best Buy? And would Best buy really shave $100 off to match Amazon's price?

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Y View Post
    So it will not work with Amazon but will with Best Buy? And would Best buy really shave $100 off to match Amazon's price?
    It would technically work with Amazon, but Amazon has a requirement that you keep the phone (and also data plan if the upgraded line didn't have one) on the line for a period of time (6 months I think) or you have to pay an ETF to them. Best Buy has no such requirement as far as I know.

Global Posts
    10,020 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF 3.0 Sense

OK, I was able to transfer my upgrade and use this method again to keep unlimited data on the lines that had it. So for now this still works.

Thanked by 2:
    Darth Spock likes this.

So buying a phone through Amazon won't work since they will charge you. Anyone know if it will with Newegg?

Global Posts
    5,749 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by omar526 View Post
    So buying a phone through Amazon won't work since they will charge you. Anyone know if it will with Newegg?
    If you buy it outright (not subsidized) you don't need to do this at all. It's amazon's mobile where they add the requirement to keep services, but as said before, you can get Amazon's price at Best Buy.

okay never mind
    Last edited by rearth; 02-26-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Can someone please go over the steps for an idiotic person (like myself) to understand exactly what to do if I want to keep my unlimited plan and get the upgrade. Here is what I understand.
    My plan: Family plan 2 smart phones with unlimited data (one of these two line had upgrade Feb 26th) and two dumb phones that my parents use. Here is what I understand I need to do to keep my unlimited plan and get the discounted smartphone (Note II in my case) with the upgrade.

1) Transfer upgrade from Smart phone unlimited data to one of the dumb phones.
    2)Go to Best Buy, have them match the Amazon price for the Note II, activate a data plan on the Dumb phone to which you add a data plan (I assume baisc 2 gigs, since it will be removed afterwards).
    3)Activate the new Note II on the line of the dumb phone. (What does it mean to activate? They just sync the sim card to that line? Do I need to do anything in that process )
    4) Take the sim card out of my new NOTE II smartphone and put it in the old dumbphone (that will cancel the data plan automatically?)
    5) Take the sim card out of my old smartphone (the one currently on the unlimited program) and put that into the Note II.
    6) How do I sync the old sim card with this new phone (Note II)
    7) Am I done? Is there anything else I need to do?
    I read that some person did it himself online, can you please share more details on how you did it?

Thx for all the information!! Long live Unlimited!!!

P.S My two dumb phones are Samsung SCH-u370 and Samsung Haven. I just want to verify they are both dumb, so when I activate them again it will drop the data plan automatically (I think the Samsung SCH-u370 migh actually have data option, its still not a smart phone though right? The trick should still work?)
    Last edited by MRMAV; 02-28-2013 at 04:36 PM.

OK. First off I am getting the message
    "Our records indicate you recently purchased a device for this MDN but have not activated it yet. You have the option to proceed after you have activated your new device, or you may contact Customer Service at (800) 922-0204 for further assistance."
    When I go on Verizon's site to activate the dumb phone on the non unlimited line.

The only step I was able to do was activate the smartphone on the non-unlimited line... I can't move forward because I get that message when trying to do that next step. The phone IS activated. It made a call and all.

Second thing. I don't have the dumb phone that goes with that line (long story)... would a straight talk dumb phone be able to be activated on that line so the smartphone can be activated on my unlimited line? (After getting past the first problem, obviously)

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by MRMAV View Post
    Can someone please go over the steps for an idiotic person (like myself) to understand exactly what to do if I want to keep my unlimited plan and get the upgrade. Here is what I understand.
    My plan: Family plan 2 smart phones with unlimited data (one of these two line had upgrade Feb 26th) and two dumb phones that my parents use. Here is what I understand I need to do to keep my unlimited plan and get the discounted smartphone (Note II in my case) with the upgrade.

1) Transfer upgrade from Smart phone unlimited data to one of the dumb phones.
    2)Go to Best Buy, have them match the Amazon price for the Note II, activate a data plan on the Dumb phone to which you add a data plan (I assume baisc 2 gigs, since it will be removed afterwards).
    3)Activate the new Note II on the line of the dumb phone. (What does it mean to activate? They just sync the sim card to that line? Do I need to do anything in that process )
    4) Take the sim card out of my new NOTE II smartphone and put it in the old dumbphone (that will cancel the data plan automatically?)
    5) Take the sim card out of my old smartphone (the one currently on the unlimited program) and put that into the Note II.
    6) How do I sync the old sim card with this new phone (Note II)
    7) Am I done? Is there anything else I need to do?
    I read that some person did it himself online, can you please share more details on how you did it?

Thx for all the information!! Long live Unlimited!!!

P.S My two dumb phones are Samsung SCH-u370 and Samsung Haven. I just want to verify they are both dumb, so when I activate them again it will drop the data plan automatically (I think the Samsung SCH-u370 migh actually have data option, its still not a smart phone though right? The trick should still work?)
    You've got the gist of it right. As far as activation, it means to go through the process that you do whenever you get a new phone (put in SIM, turn on phone, follow prompts). Once you've activated the phone, you should be able to use it to make a phone call to check if you've finished activation. Additionally, depending on what 4G LTE smartphone you have now, your current SIM may not work in the Note II; VZW can reprogram SIMs over the phone if you want to use the one sent to you (or so I've heard) or you can pick up a new one for your unlimited line for free at a corporate store on the off chance your current phone's SIM doesn't fit the Note II. You also need to reactivate the old dumbphone on the upgraded line as you mention at the end; be sure to verify online that the data plan is dropped even if it should be automatically; you don't want any surprises in the bill next month.

As you noted, everything from step 3 onward can be done at home online. On your Verizon account page, there are options to activate phones and change plans that you can use to move phones around to get the Note II on your unlimited line and the dumbphone back on its original line.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Defrostmode View Post
    OK. First off I am getting the message
    "Our records indicate you recently purchased a device for this MDN but have not activated it yet. You have the option to proceed after you have activated your new device, or you may contact Customer Service at (800) 922-0204 for further assistance."
    When I go on Verizon's site to activate the dumb phone on the non unlimited line.

The only step I was able to do was activate the smartphone on the non-unlimited line... I can't move forward because I get that message when trying to do that next step. The phone IS activated. It made a call and all.

Second thing. I don't have the dumb phone that goes with that line (long story)... would a straight talk dumb phone be able to be activated on that line so the smartphone can be activated on my unlimited line? (After getting past the first problem, obviously)
    Silly question, but have you tried calling customer service? Just tell them you've activated a phone, but want to switch back to your old dumbphone for a while and are getting this message. It could just be a glitch in the system.
Page 3 of 111 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast