[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

lml123

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: Best Buy Mobile lets me keep Unlimited Data Plan on Verizon?

I think that my current phone (RAXR MAXX HD) has the same size SIM as the one I'm interested in (either Galaxy Note 4, S5, or maybe the Note 5 when it comes out). I was thinking more for a week-long vacation at the beach where I would switch phones before I left, then switch back when i return. Or, for a week-long ski trip, not just an afternoon here and there.

I'm more likely to just keep my old phone in a drawer in case something happens to my new phone, but since it seems so easy to just most the SIM between phones there might be times when it would be worthwhile.

Thanks!

finalexit

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

It doesn't look like I'll receive the phone until after the 25th, even though I ordered it this morning (22nd). I wonder if the changes on the 25th will affect me since I've already ordered?

edit: I actually have chat logs from verizon CSRs telling me to use this method so hopefully they won't screw me over.

So I went to activate my phone online yesterday and it still tried to make me change plans even though I did the transfer upgrade trick. Verizon CSR refused to help me keep my UDP even though I had chat logs from 2 different reps saying I could, but they did inform me that anyone with unlimited data can call 800-922-0204 option 000 and get the 6gb plan for $30 which is what I ended up doing.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

So I went to activate my phone online yesterday and it still tried to make me change plans even though I did the transfer upgrade trick. Verizon CSR refused to help me keep my UDP even though I had chat logs from 2 different reps saying I could, but they did inform me that anyone with unlimited data can call 800-922-0204 option 000 and get the 6gb plan for $30 which is what I ended up doing.

Did you try just putting your SIM from your old UDP phone in the new phone?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

no because old phone was an iphone 4 and I upgraded to an s5.
In your case if you wanted to keep unlimited data, you could have to borrow someone's phone with a micro sim, activate it on your line first then activate the s5 on your line then you can return the borrowed phone

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

no because old phone was an iphone 4 and I upgraded to an s5.

FWIW, you can get free SIM cards from Verizon. Just go into a corporate store and say you want to try (or bought) a friend's GS5. You may be able to return your current S5, roll back the plan changes, and start over (you would have to try the BB method now to keep UDP). Or, at least you have 6 GB instead of 2 GB, right?

In regards to my upgrade, I've been using my GS5 since Thursday with my old SIM card in. Despite that, and despite activating it on the original tiered line, I haven't had a new contract on the UDP line and the pending order is still in place. Given that you only have two weeks to return and revert the upgrade, should I call VZW to get the pending order removed? I don't want it to drop after the return window only to find they won't let me keep the UDP, but I'm also wary of contacting them at all, as they will do pretty much anything to get rid of the UDP.

finalexit

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Yeah I knew I could return it but with verizon closing all the loopholes everyone will eventually lose their UDP anyways so I figured I'd just do the 6GB for $30 now. It wasn't really worth the hassle for me since I rarely used 1GB a month.

Last edited:

italianopera

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon How to Both Get a Subsidized Phone and Keep Unlimited Data after 8/24/14

Is it possible to transfer an upgrade from basic line to UDP, and use best buy method to keep UDP and without paying data on basic line? Thanks.

italianopera

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site

Is it possible to transfer an upgrade from basic line to UDP, and use best buy method to keep UDP and without paying data on basic line? Thanks.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

You will lose UDP if you transfer an upgrade from a non UDP to a UDP line

aaronesq

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site

So I tried the traditional method of upgrading. Bought the G3 on dumbphone (no data) line that had an upgrade and selected 2gb data package for it on 8-24. Phone arrived today, I activated it online and then went in to reactivate the old flip phone and a "mandatory disclosure" window popped up saying "This line of service has a data package requirement (minimum $30/month) which will continue through the minimum contract term." and then a box I need to click saying I agree. What to do????
Is this a sign I bought too late or what? Any help would be appreciated.... I've searched and not seen anyone talk about this.

stang354

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

Good Afternoon, I am a noob here but have been lurking for some time and taking in all the info I can. I too am in the same situation with my UDP and am looking to get the S5. I just went on the BB website and it will not allow the phone to be shipped to my home, only to a store. Can someone else confirm if this is something new? Thanks!

kil187

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Good Afternoon, I am a noob here but have been lurking for some time and taking in all the info I can. I too am in the same situation with my UDP and am looking to get the S5. I just went on the BB website and it will not allow the phone to be shipped to my home, only to a store. Can someone else confirm if this is something new? Thanks!

Only the copper one is available to ship

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

So I tried the traditional method of upgrading. Bought the G3 on dumbphone (no data) line that had an upgrade and selected 2gb data package for it on 8-24. Phone arrived today, I activated it online and then went in to reactivate the old flip phone and a "mandatory disclosure" window popped up saying "This line of service has a data package requirement (minimum $30/month) which will continue through the minimum contract term." and then a box I need to click saying I agree. What to do????
Is this a sign I bought too late or what? Any help would be appreciated.... I've searched and not seen anyone talk about this.

I would have just put the SIM from your unlimited data line phone in the new phone. The activating, deactivating loop hole has been closed.

Posted via Android Central App

aaronesq

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site

I thought if you upgraded before the 25th it was still doable... As per other posts

FWIW.... I have another upgrade available on my wife's 6gig max plan.... Is it possible to use it instead? Sounds like I screwed up trying to use up my one dumb phone upgrade....

aaronesq

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site

I would have just put the SIM from your unlimited data line phone in the new phone. The activating, deactivating loop hole has been closed.

But I purchased through Verizon website... Would that have still worked? I thought that had to be through BB or Amazon?

Dukefrukem

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Only the copper one is available to ship

I got the White ONe shipped to my house this past Monday. Shiny New Galaxy S5. The steps works, but I have a question for the community. My 4G does not appear to be working. I have been using the phone for 2 days and have not yet seen the 4G icon. Only 3G. Any thoughts? I live in a 4G area and had plenty of 4G coverage on my Galaxy Nexus. Do I need to do anything else to activate it? I have never called Verizon.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I thought if you upgraded before the 25th it was still doable... As per other posts

FWIW.... I have another upgrade available on my wife's 6gig max plan.... Is it possible to use it instead? Sounds like I screwed up trying to use up my one dumb phone upgrade....

I thought the new policy was taking effect 8/24

aaronesq

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site

I thought the new policy was taking effect 8/24

Ya I wondered... the post I saw had a screen shot saying phones bought after the 24th... And the policy took effect at store closing on the 24th. And several other threads said the same.... Guess that was bad info.