Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 34 of 321 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637 ... LastLast
Like Tree602Likes

Default Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by Roonie Q View Post
    I just chatted a rep that said you will loose unlimited data if you use your upgrade in any way, including transfers.
    Just came from a Verizon corp store and was told the same thing. Any upgrade transfer will remove unlimited data plan. Why the disinformation campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by jbnimbel View Post
    Just came from a Verizon corp store and was told the same thing. Any upgrade transfer will remove unlimited data plan. Why the disinformation campaign?
    Because they want people off unlimited so they make more money..

Sent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore

Quote Originally Posted by GWILKS View Post
    Because they want people off unlimited so they make more money..

Especially with LTE Advanced coming. I find that the faster the network is the more data you use. For example if a YouTube Video downloads instantly you have time to watch another one, so your total consumption goes up. That is one thing I hear reps telling people that looking at their history they don't use that much data and that they should change it to a capped plan to save money. But as data speeds go up and phones become more advanced you use more data.

Posted via Android Central App

Yeah exactly!

I dont know why or how this happened, but I just upgraded my phone and I kept unlimited data. I used the upgrade on my own line, which had unlimited data on it, and my billing cycle just ended like 2 days after the upgrade, so I was expecting to see it change to just 2GB, but its still showing unlimited! I didnt do anything special. Just upgraded to the Galaxy S4 using letstalk.com.

Anyone else experience this? I just cannot explain how in the world this happened.

Quote Originally Posted by sp90378 View Post
    I dont know why or how this happened, but I just upgraded my phone and I kept unlimited data. I used the upgrade on my own line, which had unlimited data on it, and my billing cycle just ended like 2 days after the upgrade, so I was expecting to see it change to just 2GB, but its still showing unlimited! I didnt do anything special. Just upgraded to the Galaxy S4 using letstalk.com.

Anyone else experience this? I just cannot explain how in the world this happened.
    I would suspect that there is a lag when you order a phone through a third party vendor and that since your billing period closed 2 days after the upgrade it hadn't reflected on it yet. I would think it would be on your next bill or you will see it soon when you access your Verizon Wireless account online. Letstalk.com even says on their website that you will lose your unlimited data if you upgrade your Verizon account:

Please note: Using your upgrade eligibility to receive discounted equipment (either by moving to a Share Everything plan or keeping your existing rate plan) will result in you forfeiting Unlimited Data (if you currently have it) for the mobile number you are upgrading

I understand that, which is why I was surprised to see it, that it still shows me as having unlimited data. Verizon no longer shows that my phone is eligible for upgrades. I guess I will know by next billing cycle then. (Also, this phone is a part of a 4 phone family plan (not the share everything), and the other 3 phones are smartphones, 1 phone has 4GB and the other 2 just the normal 2GB).

Quote Originally Posted by dss2000 View Post
    I would suspect that there is a lag when you order a phone through a third party vendor and that since your billing period closed 2 days after the upgrade it hadn't reflected on it yet. I would think it would be on your next bill or you will see it soon when you access your Verizon Wireless account online. Letstalk.com even says on their website that you will lose your unlimited data if you upgrade your Verizon account:

Please note: Using your upgrade eligibility to receive discounted equipment (either by moving to a Share Everything plan or keeping your existing rate plan) will result in you forfeiting Unlimited Data (if you currently have it) for the mobile number you are upgrading

OK, I just got a GS4 on a line that currently has a "dumb" phone at the VZW store.
    I came home and tried to re-activate the "dumb" phone on that same line, but the activate page won't let me do it. It just goes right back to the page where I enter the ESN number as soon as I the "next" button from that same page.
    What am I missing?

Thanks!

This is getting frustrating. Apparently their website was down last night. Now I go in and I try to activate the GS4 on my line (I currently have a Rezound) and it says that it won't let me and I have to call customer service.
    I want to avoid calling them because they may catch on to what I did and cancel my unlimited plan.
    Can someone help?

Quote Originally Posted by zodogg34 View Post
    I want to avoid calling them because they may catch on to what I did and cancel my unlimited plan.
    just don't talk about unlimited or how or why you are doing what you are doing. Call and get help getting the dumbphone re-activated. Hang up. Call and get help getting the S4 activated on your unlimited line. Done.

Every time I've done this I'm unable to do the activations online myself as well. I have had no issues getting the phones activated with phone CSR's help though. I personally would not risk trying to get help at a physical store location though.

Quote Originally Posted by zodogg34 View Post
    This is getting frustrating. Apparently their website was down last night. Now I go in and I try to activate the GS4 on my line (I currently have a Rezound) and it says that it won't let me and I have to call customer service.
    Can someone help?
    I haven't had a problem calling. Just say your having problem activating. Alternatively if you have an extra 4g SIM card you try swapping it out other report that it clears this problem.

Can anyone confirm this still works?

What are the steps to getting a new simcard if I can't activate the phone on my unlimited line? I don't have an extra 4g sim card to fall back on, so naturally I am cautious.

My DX that I have on my unlimited plan is on it's last legs, so I am planning on going to best buy and upgrade one of my dummy lines through them, and do this process to activate a DNA on my unlimited line.... Has anyone had success doing it this way through best-buy?

I don't want to end up with some huge fee or not be able to activate it on my unlimited line because the sim card is for my dummy line.

Can someone assure me that this will work:

Situation: Family plan with two lines (Galaxy Nexus with unlimited data & dumb phone) & one separate line NOT included in family line (so no relation to family line)
    1) I will use the upgrade line from a dumbphone to the S4 on the line NOT on the family plan (so adding 2GB data package to that plan)
    2) Activate S4 on the line I upgraded the phone on (non-family line)
    3) Re-activate old dumbphone on the non-family line, freeing up the S4
    4) Activate the S4 on MY line (smartphone w/ unlimited data on the family line)
    5) Win? Would I be dealing with any SIM card issues?

--------------
    EDIT: Do I even need to bother with the activating on the non-family line then re-activating the old phone? Or can I just activate the S4 on my unlimited data line (without losing unlimited) straight out of the box and then get rid of the 2GB data plan I bought for the non-family plan online?

Quote Originally Posted by ggamannom View Post
    Can someone assure me that this will work:

Situation: Family plan with two lines (Galaxy Nexus with unlimited data & dumb phone) & one separate line NOT included in family line (so no relation to family line)
    1) I will use the upgrade line from a dumbphone to the S4 on the line NOT on the family plan (so adding 2GB data package to that plan)
    2) Activate S4 on the line I upgraded the phone on (non-family line)
    3) Re-activate old dumbphone on the non-family line, freeing up the S4
    4) Activate the S4 on MY line (smartphone w/ unlimited data on the family line)
    5) Win? Would I be dealing with any SIM card issues?

--------------
    EDIT: Do I even need to bother with the activating on the non-family line then re-activating the old phone? Or can I just activate the S4 on my unlimited data line (without losing unlimited) straight out of the box and then get rid of the 2GB data plan I bought for the non-family plan online?
    That should def work as your are not even transferring your upgrade. I do believe that you have to activate the phone on the line first or else they may charge you.

Just wanted to update everyone if they needed confirmation or whatever...

Upgraded to a DNA from best buy on a dumbline, reactivated the original dumbphone on its original line. Had to call customer service to switch over the sim numbers and such, they did it without a hickup.
    Thanked by:

I have Nationwide Talk Unlimited with one smart phone that has been month to month for nine months. Unfortunately, I only have one phone on this plan. I had an old Motorola flip phone on the plan, but dropped it six months ago. Could I re-add the basic Motorola and then do as listed above?

I haven't had a problem calling. Just say your having problem activating. Alternatively if you have an extra 4g SIM card you try swapping it out other report that it clears this problem.

The sim cards in the rezound and GS4 are different sizes, so swapping them didn't work.
    I ended up calling and had no problem. I checked today and my unlimited data is still there. I still haven't gotten my email for my $50 mail in rebate though, so I may have to call them again.

Quote Originally Posted by becgmarshall View Post
    I have Nationwide Talk Unlimited with one smart phone that has been month to month for nine months. Unfortunately, I only have one phone on this plan. I had an old Motorola flip phone on the plan, but dropped it six months ago. Could I re-add the basic Motorola and then do as listed above?
    You could just start a new plan on the same account and get a new phone at the subsidized price. Then put the Motorola flip phone on that new line freeing up the new phone. Then put that new phone on your primary unlimited line. You will still be paying monthly service on the flip phone but at the cheaper non-data rate which is fine you need it perhaps for a child or parents/in-laws. Although I don't have first hand experience with it others on this forum have described having Verizon put a dummy MEID number on that second line so there is no actual phone but just to keep the account open to get price down at $10/mo. Or you can buy a phone at full price and do installment payments on it. Many Verizon reps will try to tell you that you don't need unlimited data, you don't use that much data but in a year or two when LTE-Advanced comes out with 150 megabits/s download speeds you could burn through that data cap pretty fast.

Sounds great! Thank you for the advice. I can't pony up $700 for a full cost phone right now, and I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to get a better phone for a reasonable price. I have been with Verizon since it was Houston Cellular and got spoiled to the phone credits they gave you every 6 months. I bought myDroid Razor for $50 - it is being held together with duct tape. I almost bought a used Iphone 4s for around $300, but would really like something newer and I prefer Android. I don't keep up with the technology updates, so I didn't realize that a new network was coming. I currently use around 750 megs, but that is because my phone is so crappy. I figured I will double or triple that with a newer phone. I REALLY appreciate your help.

If getting the latest doesn't matter that much to you you can get a good deal on eBay or Craig's list. For a 4G phone depending on where you live S3's go from $200 to $250, Galaxy Nexus go for $100 to 190. Just make sure has good MEID. On Craig's list meet them at Verizon store and have CSR make sure it can be activated, or just go ahead and activate it right there and then.

If getting the latest doesn't matter that much to you you can get a good deal on eBay or Craig's list. For a 4G phone depending on where you live S3's go from $200 to $250, Galaxy Nexus go for $100 to 190. Just make sure has good MEID. On Craig's list meet them at Verizon store and have CSR make sure it can be activated, or just go ahead and activate it right there and then.

Imo, if you don't mind a bit of work, get the Dna for $300 NEW off contract, if you signed up for the gc.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

This process is still alive, I just completed it today. My local Radio Shack guy took care of everything with Verizon CS while I waited. The VZ guy assured me it will stick and not change after the next billing cycle. The RS guy was well aware of the process but still contacted VZ to make sure it still worked. It only took ten minutes.
    Bigwavedave25 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dwane_m View Post
    This process is still alive, I just completed it today. My local Radio Shack guy took care of everything with Verizon CS while I waited. The VZ guy assured me it will stick and not change after the next billing cycle. The RS guy was well aware of the process but still contacted VZ to make sure it still worked. It only took ten minutes.
    Good to hear. Thanks for update. What did you do with secondary line? Use a dummy ESN number and get rate to $10/mo or put a feature phone on it?

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

I had a dumb phone with an upgrade available.

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

Just ordered a Note 2. Online rep was very helpful and said to just activate on the dumb phone line and then switch it to my unlimited. Took screen shots too!!!
Page 34 of 321 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637 ... LastLast