[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Ok so this might have been answered before but I just wanna check.

I have a Family Share Plan (the old style where only minutes and text messages are shared) with THREE lines that have unlimited data. So in order to keep unlimited data on all THREE I would have to open up an extra $10 a month line and then purchased the device through that line (signing a 2 year contract) but would be able to switch that device right over (within the next few hours or so) to the unlimited lines.
Now would I be able to transfer the upgrades that are waiting on the unlimited lines over to the dumbphone line without losing the unlimited data packages?

Thanks in advance!

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Yes, you have it correct.

Posted via Android Central App
I just went onto MyVerizon and it isn't showing my two extra lines (which have unlimited data on a Family Share Plan with 1400 min and Unlimited Text) as having upgrades available. It just says "Month-to-Month." Does this mean there are upgrades still there that can be transfered to another line or what? I would like to be able to upgrade all the three lines at once by just transferring the upgrades onto a new dumbphone line if possible.

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I just went onto MyVerizon and it isn't showing my two extra lines (which have unlimited data on a Family Share Plan with 1400 min and Unlimited Text) as having upgrades available. It just says "Month-to-Month." Does this mean there are upgrades still there that can be transfered to another line or what? I would like to be able to upgrade all the three lines at once by just transferring the upgrades onto a new dumbphone line if possible.

Yes if you're month to month you should definitely have an upgrade available.

deezlins

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

Yes, if you haven't upgraded them in the past two years and they are now on month to month then you should have upgrades available for them.

deezlins

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

Currently even if your contract expires you still keep the same plan on a month to month basis. Theoretically Verizon could change the terms of the service but they haven't gone that far yet. Also you should have an upgrade available on that line on that date so if you wan't to get another subsidized phone transfer the upgrade to the third line with the dumbphone, upgrade it, activate the phone on that third line, deactivate it and then reactivate it on one of the unlimited lines. This will then extend the contract on the line the upgrade came from by 2 years.

Also just to add to that, even if you are in a contract, if Verizon wanted to they can change the unlimited data policy at any time, and a contract won't keep you locked in or save you from that.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Also just to add to that, even if you are in a contract, if Verizon wanted to they can change the unlimited data policy at any time, and a contract won't keep you locked in or save you from that.

Hopefully T-Mobile builds out their 4G LTE network quickly because when Verizon does that I'm leaving. Only thing keeping me on Verizon is my grandfathered unlimited data plan. My opinion is that these carriers should never have been able to keep a monopoly on what are public airwaves that they are essentially leasing. They should have been required to all use compatible 4G LTE specifications for the privilege of being able to use the public airwaves and you should be able to use your phone that you paid for on any carrier like in Europe.

GWILKS

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

Read some of these pages but definitely not all... So here's my situation.

3 phones on our family share plan. Mine and my mom's droids have unlimited data, my sister's iPhone does not. The iPhone upgrade is ready now, and my mom's line will be in a few weeks (I will be using the iPhone line upgrade and my mom willl use hers if she wants).

I'd like to upgrade to sg4 asap, but want to see if there's another option to keep unlimited besides what Verizon told us - to buy an unlocked phone off amazon/ebay ect.. And activate it. I'd rather not spend $600 on the phone.. So screw that.
Is there any other way to upgrade and keep unlimited data without a 'dumb phone' Line or buying an unlocked phone?

sent from your HTC Rezound

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Read some of these pages but definitely not all... So here's my situation.

3 phones on our family share plan. Mine and my mom's droids have unlimited data, my sister's iPhone does not. The iPhone upgrade is ready now, and my mom's line will be in a few weeks (I will be using the iPhone line upgrade and my mom willl use hers if she wants).

I'd like to upgrade to sg4 asap, but want to see if there's another option to keep unlimited besides what Verizon told us - to buy an unlocked phone off amazon/ebay ect.. And activate it. I'd rather not spend $600 on the phone.. So screw that.
Is there any other way to upgrade and keep unlimited data without a 'dumb phone' Line or buying an unlocked phone?

Use your sister's iPhone upgrade to get a SG4. Activate it on her line, then put her iPhone back on it knocking the SG4 back off. Then put the SG4 on your unlimited line. Then transfer your mom's upgrade to your sister's iPhone and get another upgraded phone and activate on your sister's line. Put your sister's iPhone back on her line knocking the 2nd new phone off her line and then put that on your mom's unlimited line.

GWILKS

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

I'm gonna have to show the CSR that post to make sure they understand right haha I get it, thanks so much for the quick reply! :shake:

Would I need my sister's phone with me at Verizon when I upgrade?

Edit. My mom says no to the idea because she doesn't understand and thinks it will screw the bill all up from upgrading, activating, deactivating, activating, deactivating..... Guess I'll go to Verizon myself confirm it won't screw with anything

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Would I need my sister's phone with me at Verizon when I upgrade?

Edit. My mom says no to the idea because she doesn't understand and thinks it will screw the bill all up from upgrading, activating, deactivating, activating, deactivating..... Guess I'll go to Verizon myself confirm it won't screw with anything

Technically you shouldn't physically need your sister's phone, all you need is the MEID number and they should have that in their computer but policy-wise I'm not sure. Also you might want to make her aware that her phone will be inoperable for the time it takes to put the new phone on and then restore her phone back to the account.

From other's prior posts it seems like it is hit or miss depending on who you talk to in the Verizon store. Some people have been mis-informed that they will lose their unlimited data. A knowledgeable Verizon rep will know it is possible and will do it pretty easily. I actually have never done the swap in the store before. I've always ordered online and have done the activation and swap online with the occasional call to tech support because there is sometimes a snag in the process when you take the phone off the limited line it sometimes doesn't become available immediately to activate on the unlimited line. Sometimes a call to the CSR unsticks it, some have reported switching the 4G SIM card unsticks it.

SDNDD

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site

Longtime lurker, finally getting my feet wet here!
Anyone else having an issue doing this with the Galaxy S4?? Here's how my story went, and if I did something wrong in the process, please let me know:

2 droids (X2, 3) on unlimited data plans, one upgrade (line 1) - transferred upgrade to line 2, as that was a low data line and could lose the unlimited.
Used the transferred upgrade to purchase S4. No problems there.
Received S4. Activated it online from My Verizon successfully. Left it on for about 30 mins. before deactivating it back to my husband's old droid. Also did this online via My Verizon with no hiccups.
Tried to activate S4 on my line 1. Got about halfway through before receiving an error message asking to call. No prob, waited an hour and tried again. Same issue. After another try, decided to call. First rep was extremely nice, but had me do all the normal things - take everything out, reset, factory reset. No good. Transferred to a tech - said the issue was with the SIM, as it was first activated on line 2, it had to be reprogrammed - should take no longer than an hour to reset, will definitely reset at midnight. Alrighty, I'll just head to bed.
In the AM, no change, S4 still wasn't activated. Line 2, on the old droid, is up and running just fine, but my line and the S4 are both not active. I hopped onto the Chat and they were able to get it going with minimal effort. As of now, I still have my unlimited.

So was it just a SIM issue, going from 3G to 4G? I can't figure out where I went wrong :(

Also, I have to activate a new line for my Mom - she has an old dumbphone that she wants to use - the plan was to get a new smartphone, activate it, then activate her dumbphone onto it and give line 2 the new smartphone, but now I'm worried it won't be as easy as all that. Tips, suggestions, advice?

TIA!!!

jims2321

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

Okay stupid question. I have a single line with VZW, unlimited data plan, eligible for upgrade. So would steps should I follow to retain that unlimited data plan?

travelingfool

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

Okay stupid question. I have a single line with VZW, unlimited data plan, eligible for upgrade. So would steps should I follow to retain that unlimited data plan?

1) Pay full retail for an new phone

Or...

2) Open a new line of service, get a new S4 on that line at the subsidized price, activate the S4 on the new line, activate an old phone on the new line (which deactivates your new S4), then activate the S4 on your unlimited line. This ends up saving you roughly 200 bucks over 24 months compared to a full retail purchase, while giving you the benefit of a spare line to switch future upgrades to. This is the route I took. I am in the next billing cycle now and still showing unlimited.

I have other lines and was on a family share plan already (not share everything), so I don't know if that matters since you aren't on a share plan.

Sent from my VZW GS4 via the Android Central Forums app

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

So was it just a SIM issue, going from 3G to 4G? I can't figure out where I went wrong :(

Also, I have to activate a new line for my Mom - she has an old dumbphone that she wants to use - the plan was to get a new smartphone, activate it, then activate her dumbphone onto it and give line 2 the new smartphone, but now I'm worried it won't be as easy as all that. Tips, suggestions, advice?

TIA!!!

Some people have reported issues freeing up the smartphone after they took it off the dumbphone line. It should be available to activate on the unlimited line since it is off the secondary line but sometimes it says it's still associated with that account. Usually a call to tech support they can do something to free it up to then be put on an unlimited line. Others have reported that they have been able to get around the problem by changing the SIM card. Perhaps when you put a dumb phone back on the secondary line the SIM is still associated with that line and hasn't let go since the dumb phone doesn't have a SIM. (just speculation)

AspenQn

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

Ok, how would it work for me in this scenario: currently have an S3 but not due for an upgrade until 7/4/14. It's a single line, individual plan. Can I add another dummy line and then do the line shuffle if I'm NOT due for an upgrade? MOst people on this forum have multiple phone lines already, which makes it hard to sift through and find a similar circumstance to mine.

Last edited:

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

Ok, how would it work for me in this scenario: currently have an S3 but not due for an upgrade until 7/4/14. It's a single line, individual plan. Can I add another dummy line and then do the line shuffle if I'm NOT due for an upgrade? MOst people on this forum have multiple phone lines already, which makes it hard to sift through and find a similar circumstance to mine.

I'm currently in the same position as you are AspenQn. I have only one line for my Motorola Droid Bionic with Verizon and an unlimited plan that I have had since I first got a smartphone back in 2007. I have been eligible for an upgrade since 02/28/13 and my contract comes up on 06/28/13. I like the coverage that Verizon has around here and I don't want to give up my unlimited data plan (deal breaker for me) but I really don't want to pay full price for one of the Samsung Galaxy smartphones. What's a girl like me supposed to do in a situation like this? HELP!!!

echallstrom

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

I tried to transfer an upgrade today and couldn't find the option on the website.

I called customer service and was told you can't transfer an upgrade, you have to upgrade one phone and then activate on the other line.

Of course, for me, the line with the upgrade is my unlimited data line. So I don't want to upgrade that line.

Has something changed? Why can't I find the option to transfer an upgrade? The customer service rep told me this was never an option, but I'm certain I have seen it before.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I haven't heard anything has changed. From this it says you can't change from a non-phone to a phone. Unless it is something that just happened. People on this thread have been doing it as of a few days ago.

Customers may continue to share an upgrade with another person on an account if that customer is upgrading to a device within the same equipment category. Customers can utilize a phone upgrade to purchase a new phone; however, the option to transfer upgrades from non-phone devices (such as a Jetpack or tablet) will no longer be available.​

Verizon Wireless Upgrade Policy - Verizon Wireless Upgrade Eligibility

GWILKS

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

Update for me.. I went to Verizon yesterday and asked them if I could transfer the upgrade how you told me. CSR said it made sense to him (understood the process I meant). He went in the back to ask, came back out and said no I cannot do that. Said something about if I upgrade my line at all I will lose unlimited data.

As soon as he said no I didn't really listen, just said Ok and walked out because I knew there was a way.. Well.. Hopefully still lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol