[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

wadesta5

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

It is the same size SIM. I would order from best buy for delivery. Do not do in store pickup. I would upgrade the basic line. Do not turn on the phone and trash the sim. Then put your unlimited sim in the phone. You will be left with a pending activation. When that drops off you can transfer your upgrades to the basic line and basically do the same thing again.

Can i do the same thing using amazon? or does it need to be through best buy? Thanks for your help.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Can i do the same thing using amazon? or does it need to be through best buy? Thanks for your help.
In theory it should work. The problem with Amazon is they charge a 2nd ETF. You could be charged this if you don't activate the phone on the basic line. I have not heard of anyone actually being charged the ETF.

paulluis4

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Line 1 UDP yes
Line 2 basic yes
Line 3 basic yes

Would it be better to get new phone on UDP line with BB method or under basic lines. My only concern is losing UDP on line 1 or being stuck with data plan on a basic line

Posted via the Android Central App

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Thanks, that definitely helps! I just have one other question. When doing this using the Verizon method, I'm assuming if the sim on the tiered and UDP lines is the same size as the new phone I'm getting (nano sim for S6), I can just disregard the sim that came with the phone in the box? Just want to make sure that Verizon's system is registering the proper phone on each line if I'm just popping the current tiered sim in when I get the phone and then waiting and putting the UDP sim in. I wasn't sure if I need to do any other interaction with their system online if that's the case.

Thanks!
-J

Hypothetically, if the SIMs all match, you can activate the new phone with the old SIM on the tiered line. I would log in just to make sure the activation takes, but it should work fine.

Posted via Android Central App

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Line 1 UDP yes
Line 2 basic yes
Line 3 basic yes

Would it be better to get new phone on UDP line with BB method or under basic lines. My only concern is losing UDP on line 1 or being stuck with data plan on a basic line

Posted via the Android Central App

It doesn't matter what you do as long as you follow the directions exactly. If you do the Best Buy method just use the old SIM and toss the new one before turning it on or charging it. If you upgrade the basic line, just activate it directly onto the unlimited line and you'll be fine.

NBAJ2K

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site

Hypothetically, if the SIMs all match, you can activate the new phone with the old SIM on the tiered line. I would log in just to make sure the activation takes, but it should work fine.

They should all be nano sims, so they should. I definitely appreciate the help, thanks!

mgrankin

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Hi wish i would have read this before I order a nano sim card for the htc one m8 i am planning to upgrade to. the card is ordered and when i checked my account online the unlimited is still there but it does not show my htc dna as my current device, i tried to make a call from the dna and it is not working although it shows service connection...verizon is now closed so i wil call them in the morning. my plan was to switch the upgrade from udp line to tiered plan with droid maxx(no sim card) order new phone. activate the new phone on tiered line using verizon supplied sim card(the one shipped with phone) after using the new phone for a couple of hours on tiered line, i will reativate droid maxx on tiered line and activate the new phone on the udp line using the new sim card that verizon is sending me today.
will this work??

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Hi wish i would have read this before I order a nano sim card for the htc one m8 i am planning to upgrade to. the card is ordered and when i checked my account online the unlimited is still there but it does not show my htc dna as my current device, i tried to make a call from the dna and it is not working although it shows service connection...verizon is now closed so i wil call them in the morning. my plan was to switch the upgrade from udp line to tiered plan with droid maxx(no sim card) order new phone. activate the new phone on tiered line using verizon supplied sim card(the one shipped with phone) after using the new phone for a couple of hours on tiered line, i will reativate droid maxx on tiered line and activate the new phone on the udp line using the new sim card that verizon is sending me today.
will this work??

You do not need a new SIM card if you have both a tiered and unlimited lines. Contact Verizon to get all of your phones working again, and then do the following:

1.) Log into Verizon or Best Buy and transfer your upgrade from the unlimited to the tiered line. Order the phone you want on the tiered line and have it shipped home.
2.) When the new phone arrives just activate it on the tiered line following the directions that come with the phone.
3.) Wait at least an hour and make sure that calls, texts, and data all work.
4.) Log into Verizon and reactivate the old phone on the tiered line.
5.) Now activate the new phone on the unlimited line.

You don't need a new SIM because the process will eventually convert the new SIM to the unlimited data plan. Once you get your phones working again, these 5 steps will allow you to upgrade and keep unlimited.

kaos921

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site

I have UDP and bought the Galaxy S3 on the first day. I'm wanting to upgrade to S6 Edge via the Best Buy method. I think the SIM cards are different though. Can I cut my current SIM to fit the Nano size?

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

Yes you can cut your sim down. There are templates you can print and use just make sure you print it to size. You can even cut into the gold area just as long as you stay away from the center area which you shouldn't have any issues coming close to. You will also need to sand it down a bit as a nano are slimmer as well as smaller. I recommend writing down your sim number for future reference before you start cutting and sanding.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site

Line 1: S5 under contract obtained using best buy method 1 year ago
Line 2: S3 that doesnt charge, UDP and upgrade elligible. (We have been using external charger and swapping batteries daily)

Can I do the best but method on line 2 just like I did it on line 1? or is there some complication with upgrading the non primary line? I would be ordering an S5 to replace the S3 so this should be a straightforward swap as far as SIM cards.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Line 1: S5 under contract obtained using best buy method 1 year ago
Line 2: S3 that doesnt charge, UDP and upgrade elligible. (We have been using external charger and swapping batteries daily)

Can I do the best but method on line 2 just like I did it on line 1? or is there some complication with upgrading the non primary line? I would be ordering an S5 to replace the S3 so this should be a straightforward swap as far as SIM cards.
It should work the same. I have heard of some people having trouble when upgrading secondary lines through Best Buy but others went through. I would just go through the process and see if it let's the order go through. If it does, just do what you did last year.

inventsituations

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site

Looking for a bit of a sanity check here if someone would be so kind.

I'm planning on using the best buy method to upgrade a Galaxy Nexus to an iPhone 6. Planning on cutting down the nexus micro sim to fit the iPhone, and trashing the factory iPhone sim before powering on.

Just wanted to make sure this is still a viable way to keep UDP? I went all the way through the checkout process and chickened out because I didn't see "keep existing plan" anywhere, just miles of small print.

Thanks!

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

I just tried ordering on BB. Got to the last step and it told me to contact Verizon with a code. Looks like they know I have unlimited data?
Most likely you have a balance due on your account. It has been reported that if you cancel the order, pay bill, then you should be able to order.

caktymonkey

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site

Your steps are correct. To give you more detailed answers:

1.) You will not be changing SIMs at any time since they are different sizes. It will be safe because the new nano-SIM will eventually be reprogrammed to your unlimited data.

2.) To activate the new phone just follow the directions that come with the phone. You can activate it on the tiered line by either going online or calling Verizon from a different phone on the plan.

3.) Correct. Activating the new phone will deactivate the old phone on the tiered line.

4.) To reactivate the old phone, log into Verizon. On the main page, you should see a section called "My Devices". Just to the right of that title you'll see a link called "Activate or Switch Devices". When you click this link, you'll then select the tiered line. This will bring you to some options. You'll select "activate device" and then "I am activating a device that I previously used with this account". You'll then be able to select the old phone on the tiered plan. Follow the directions and this will lead to reactivation of the old device.

5.) To put the new phone on the unlimited line, you'll do the exact same steps as #4. Just this time select your unlimited line in the beginning.

After these steps, enjoy your new phone!

Ok after step #4 is done and I want to activate the new phone (that was activated/deactivated on the TDP) on the UDP what option do I select : a device that was or wasn't previously been used with this account?

caktymonkey

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site

Ok I ran into a little snag
My order from Verizon didn't ship so I called and asked why. They said it is probably because an accessory was out of stock. I asked them if we could ship what they have and ship the rest later. They told me they would have to cancel the order and reorder separately. Since the internet department was still closed they told me they would call me back after they found out what was happening with my order and then we could figure out what to do. Well the first call I got was the Verizon survey and then they just happened to call while I was on the line with that. I ignored the call then called them right back. She went and checked and said yes my order was delayed because an accessory wasn't in stock. At which point I told her that while I was waiting for their return phone call that I had used the chat feature online and asked about availability of each item I had ordered. They said if I wanted to order them everything was in stock and ready to ship today. She again said there was one item that was not in stock. Then to my astonishment she told me they had already canceled my order but that she can reorder. Without me mentioning anything she said she understood I wanted to keep my UDP. Which I thought was weird because I was buying phone for the TDP. I asked if she knew details on what I had done with my order if in fact I did place the order with her. She said yes she could see everything. I told her I was transferring upgrade (from UDP) because I wanted to upgrade phone on the TDP. It was at this point she said you do realize if you transfer your upgrade that you will lose the UDP because the contract is attached to the phone not the upgrade (or something to that effect). She then tried to sell me on EDGE saying that way I could keep my UDP. I told her I had friends that had transferred upgrades like I wanted to do and they didn't lose their UDP. She was adamant that it can't be done. I told her when I placed the order online I never got any message saying that I would lose my UDP on that line. She said she just wanted to warn me as she didn't want my to be all excited about getting a new phone and neglect to see that I had lost UDP on the one line.

I never told her what my ultimate goal was and about the procedures here.

So I guess the questions are.. Is she correct that if she placed order for me that I would lose UDP by virtue of transferring a upgrade from a UDP to a TDP and upgrading the TDP phone?

Is she incorrect that I would lose UDP even if I placed the order online just by virtue of transferring a upgrade from a UDP to a TDP and upgraded the TDP phone?

Ok I went online and transferred upgrade from UDP to TDP and used the upgrade on the TDP line. The phone will be here tomorrow. I only ordered a phone this time no accessories.

Earlier when I talked to the agent she added notes to my account that due to the delay of shipment and the cancellation of order they would overnight for free and waive the upgrade fee. By ordering online I wasn't able to apply them to the order. I am not sure at what point in process if any I should pursue a credit of 53-54 dollars

This little snag turned into a bigger snag that I almost have all cleared up.

I got my new phone and low and behold somehow I lost the SIM that came with it. Don't ask.

So I go to the Verizon Corporate store without phone and try to get one. I told them the phone was shipped without one. They (Including Manager) refused to give me one unless I bring phone in and they activated it. They couldn't understand why I refused to do that.

So I go to the Verizon Chat and try to order it. They say my only option is to go to store or return phone. They said they could not order a SIM card for me and I couldn't either. In the meantime while they are telling me this I go order SIM card online for free (using activation way that I learned about on here). I just missed the cutoff for next day delivery. (I just received SIM today). I told the chat people what I did and they said its impossible and to prove it hey couldn't find my order (yes I gave them the order number I wrote down).(It turns out SIM has to be verified to work with my current plan before order clears, that's why it was delayed) Anyway order finally shows up and while still on chat I have them credit me with the one day shipping on the SIM card. I also had them credit the shipping on the phone that was delivered previously and for my activation fee that they had previously promised for free. Good I am set right?? Wouldn't you know while looking at my SIM order on the Verizon site and still on chat line another order pops up. Someone just reordered my previously cancelled order. I tell the chat line this explaining the situation and I would be sending it back. They said there was no way around a restock fee even though I had not placed the order. She told me to accept the shipment and take it to the store. At this point I asked to be transferred to a manager. The manager looked into it and told me don't accept the shipment. She said she would try to stop it from going out. I told her that the original order was charged to my account so to make sure this one wasn't. She credited my account the full amount and said she was also able to stop shipment. Well no she didn't and up till this afternoon the package was in my city and to be delivered by 8 pm (it wasn't shipped 1 day). Yes the thought went through my mind that for all this trouble maybe I should keep the package and all the accessories for all the trouble I went through and wait to see if they charge my account again or I keep for free. LOL. I decided against it being bad and I was going to refuse delivery if it came. Later this afternoon the order tracking finally showed it was cancelled and was going back.

So I have now finally activated the new phone on the TDP and am waiting to do the next step.

Sorry about the long post but maybe it will help someone else out

caktymonkey

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site

And another question the new phone still has 4g service and it shows that SIM is still activated under the TDP cell number. But when I call or text it they go to the old phone that I already reactivated after over an hour service. Is this normal and do I need to wait until the SIM in new phone deactivates before proceeding?

Last edited:

caktymonkey

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site

I needed to turn the wi-fi on. All is well. Activated new phone to UDP. No sign of any changes. I will post later with update and what procedures I used

kool_zero

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site

Most likely you have a balance due on your account. It has been reported that if you cancel the order, pay bill, then you should be able to order.

I do not have a balance on my account and go the same error. Did you get around this or does anyone else have any thoughts?

Code:
Your wireless carrier has requested additional verification. Please call us at 1-877-702-2211. We'll be happy to help you complete your order. Please have this error code handy when you call: 2051

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad