[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

FurryJean

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

This sounds like it will be the safest route, and the one I will most likely take. I just wanted to see if anyone here has confirmed a way to do it via linking a blank SIM delivered from Verizon for free to your unlimited account somehow, and then using that. I was considering trying to call to see if I could link the nano SIM to my old phone (which uses a micro SIM) and see if they would not catch the missmatch.

What still makes me unsure is that when I call to get the new nano SIM activated/imaged, will they see on my account that I have already used my upgrade and am pending activation on the new phone I got in the mail? Maybe there is a way to just do a SIM transfer automatically. This path is once I want to fully exhaust before I resort to cutting my SIM down to size.

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

This sounds like it will be the safest route, and the one I will most likely take. I just wanted to see if anyone here has confirmed a way to do it via linking a blank SIM delivered from Verizon for free to your unlimited account somehow, and then using that. I was considering trying to call to see if I could link the nano SIM to my old phone (which uses a micro SIM) and see if they would not catch the missmatch.

What still makes me unsure is that when I call to get the new nano SIM activated/imaged, will they see on my account that I have already used my upgrade and am pending activation on the new phone I got in the mail? Maybe there is a way to just do a SIM transfer automatically. This path is once I want to fully exhaust before I resort to cutting my SIM down to size.

To be honest I don't know the answers to your process questions...hopefully another commenter can answer.

BTW SIM adapters so you can use a nano SIM in a micro SIM device are also available and cheap at Amazon.

Though it wasn't your plan simply swapping a working active SIM is the safest way to keep UDP when getting a new device.

Good luck

Posted via the Android Central App

FurryJean

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site

To be honest I don't know the answers to your process questions...hopefully another commenter can answer.

BTW SIM adapters so you can use a nano SIM in a micro SIM device are also available and cheap at Amazon.

Though it wasn't your plan simply swapping a working active SIM is the safest way to keep UDP when getting a new device.

Good luck

Posted via the Android Central App

This'll be what I try unless someone else has some ideas! Thanks for your help. I also just realized that I don't even have a SIM card in my old phone at all!! -_-. I'm pretty sure what I need to do then is re-order a MICRO SIM card from Verizon, image that SIM to my old phone before I order then new phone (so there is no risk of my account being on some weird status). Then order the new phone in the mail using an upgrade, and finally cut down the activated micro SIM to nano size to fit the new phone. This is the only clear way I see, even thou it's a bit risky! (no going back if it does not work! unless I have the nano to micro adapter..).

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Hello!

I would like to post my process and ask if someone could help me out with what steps I should take. I have read this thread extensively but I can't find the key piece of information I am looking for.

I have 1 line on my Verizon account with unlimited data.

I would like to use the Best Buy method to use an upgrade to get a new phone, but keep my unlimited data. How I understand it now is that I must go through Best Buy online, and purchase the phone and use the upgrade on my UDP line. I have the phone shipped to me, and DON'T turn it on.

The part I don't clearly understand is how to swap SIM cards in my situation. My old phone has a micro SIM, and my new phone has a nano. I have called verizon and asked them to send me a nano SIM card in the mail, which they have done. However they say that this nano SIM is blank, and once I get it I need to tie a device as well as an account to it. Once I have the new phone, my old phone, as well as the blank SIM, what steps do I take to get my UDP onto the new blank nano SIM card, which I can then place into the new phone before I turn it on.

The part I do not understand is how I link the blank SIM to my unlimited data account. I would be so appreciative and thankful for any help!
This is from the slickdeals.net thread

http://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/t/7743625

"L1: UDP 4G LTE phone Yes

It is explained here and these are the step-by-step instructions:

1) Have a 4G LTE phone active on your UDP line before you order;
2) Order a new SIM card that is the correct size for the new phone you will be ordering by calling Verizon and having one shipped to you or buy one from a VAR;
3) Order the new phone using a UDP line's upgrade on a UDP line from a 3rd party retailer ship to home;
4) When the new phone arrives, do not turn it on or plug it in, remove the SIM card that ships with the phone and destroy it;
5) Log onto Verizon online and click activate or switch a device;
6) If you are asked do you want to activate or verify the phone that just shipped to you, click on "No, I want to activate a different device" or "Not activating my new device at this time, take me to the Activate or Switch Device page" (you may or may not be asked this);
7) Click you want to activate a device that has not been on your account b/f;
8) Type in the IMEI of the device and SIM card number of the SIM card you ordered in Step 1; and
9) Continue to follow the instructions.

If you cannot activate the SIM card online, your options are to either cut down your existing SIM card or go to a VAR and pay them to activate the new smartphone on your UDP line. Those are your only options. If you call Verizon to activate the SIM card, you WILL lose UDP. Calling Verizon to activate a SIM card is NOT an option but taking your new phone to a VAR and paying them to activate it on your UDP line is an option."

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

This'll be what I try unless someone else has some ideas! Thanks for your help. I also just realized that I don't even have a SIM card in my old phone at all!! -_-. I'm pretty sure what I need to do then is re-order a MICRO SIM card from Verizon, image that SIM to my old phone before I order then new phone (so there is no risk of my account being on some weird status). Then order the new phone in the mail using an upgrade, and finally cut down the activated micro SIM to nano size to fit the new phone. This is the only clear way I see, even thou it's a bit risky! (no going back if it does not work! unless I have the nano to micro adapter..).

What type of phone do you currently have? What new phone do you want? Most likely, you'll need to cut your old SIM or take the new phone to a VAR if it is too old. The method that Mr. Toad posted works depending on how old of a device you have.

FurryJean

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site

What type of phone do you currently have? What new phone do you want? Most likely, you'll need to cut your old SIM or take the new phone to a VAR if it is too old. The method that Mr. Toad posted works depending on how old of a device you have.

I currently have a Droid 4 with no SIM card in it at all. I plan to go for the Galaxy S6. So it's a heck of an upgrade.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I currently have a Droid 4 with no SIM card in it at all. I plan to go for the Galaxy S6. So it's a heck of an upgrade.

My first advice would be to follow the steps that Mr. Toad provided as that would be the way to do it. I'm pretty confident that it will not work, but it's worth a shot.

If you cannot activate the device on your line, you'll need to take the S6 to a VAR and get them to activate it on your line.

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site

I followed the instructions that I got here to order a phone from Verizon on my feature phone line. I received the phone and immediately removed the sim card for destruction. I have now shipped the phone to a relative. My question is, can the relative simply remove the SIM card from their current active phone and install it in this new phone to activate it or do they need to go to a Verizon store or online to also do an activation? I have read that the phone would auto-activate when it was turned on.

FurryJean

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site

Are you sure it does not have a SIM? I believe the Droid 4 is a 4g LTE device. According to GSMArena it has band 13 LTE and a micro SIM.

Ah, you are right. Sorry, did not expect it to be so buried in there!
For now the best option I see is to just cut down my existing micro SIM card to nano size for use in the new s6. I think it's the best shot I have, although I am slightly worried that my current micro SIM might be so old that the new phone would not take it. I am not familiar with how SIM cards actually work, so I do not know if this is even possible or if I can expect a micro SIM card which has not been touched in years to just work as a nano SIM card in a new phone. I'll report back when I know how it turns out! Unfortunately it might take around 3 or 4 weeks to fully realize this process.

I did have a question regarding the "pending activation" status. Has there ever been a case where this has come back to bite anyone, or that it did not get removed from an account? Should this be something I quickly call to request getting removed (say, after 14 days of new phone purchase), should I wait a month or 2 before calling to request its removal, or do I just wait a few months and it disappears automatically?

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

I followed the instructions that I got here to order a phone from Verizon on my feature phone line. I received the phone and immediately removed the sim card for destruction. I have now shipped the phone to a relative. My question is, can the relative simply remove the SIM card from their current active phone and install it in this new phone to activate it or do they need to go to a Verizon store or online to also do an activation? I have read that the phone would auto-activate when it was turned on.
If the SIMs are the same size they should be able to just swap the card.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Ah, you are right. Sorry, did not expect it to be so buried in there!
For now the best option I see is to just cut down my existing micro SIM card to nano size for use in the new s6. I think it's the best shot I have, although I am slightly worried that my current micro SIM might be so old that the new phone would not take it. I am not familiar with how SIM cards actually work, so I do not know if this is even possible or if I can expect a micro SIM card which has not been touched in years to just work as a nano SIM card in a new phone. I'll report back when I know how it turns out! Unfortunately it might take around 3 or 4 weeks to fully realize this process.

I did have a question regarding the "pending activation" status. Has there ever been a case where this has come back to bite anyone, or that it did not get removed from an account? Should this be something I quickly call to request getting removed (say, after 14 days of new phone purchase), should I wait a month or 2 before calling to request its removal, or do I just wait a few months and it disappears automatically?

SIM cards are SIM cards. In other words, it doesn't matter how old they are. They only thing that has changed over the years is the size.

As for the pending activation, you do NOT call Verizon under any circumstances. Make sure your plan is what you need for the next few months. Make sure there are no billing problems. You need to wait until the pending activation falls off the account before you can involve Verizon in anything; otherwise, there is a good chance they will manually force the upgrade and plan change if they see the S6 on your account as being active.

AIR-11

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site

Can anyone help me navigate the upgrading of my lines to keep my unlimited, here's the situation:

Line 1: UDP iPhone 4 - upgrade available May 13 (my brother's line who lives in South Dakota)
Line 2: UDP Note 2 - upgrade available now (my line, I live in Utah)
Line 3: UDP iPhone 5 - upgrade available May 15 (my wife's line, in Utah)
Line 4: 2GB iPhone 4s - upgrade available now (my brother's wife's line, in South Dakota)

1. I'd like to go ahead and upgrade Line 2 (mine w/UDP Note 2, upgrade available now) asap to a Nexus 6.
2. My brother (Line 1 UDP w/iPhone 4, upgrade available next month) would like to upgrade to an iPhone 5s (he's not much into technology, so just wants a cheap upgrade option, hence why he's "upgrading" to an iPhone 5s and he's cool with doing the upgrade next month when his line becomes eligible.
3. My wife (Line 3 UDP w/iPhone 5, upgrade available next month) would like to upgrade hers to an iPhone 6+ in the next few months, so not in a huge hurry.
4. Brother's wife (Line 4 2GB w/iPhone 4s, upgrade available now) doesn't really care about upgrading anytime soon, will probably wait until the phone completely dies before wanting to upgrade, so she's good with any of us using her upgrade now.

After reading through pages and pages of this forum I think I've got an idea of how to do this, but wanted to open it up to everyone to get advice from you experts so that I don't screw this up. Some of the obstacles I see coming up:

1. My brother and his wife are in South Dakota and my wife and I are in Utah. Not sure if we will need to swap any equipment (phones, SIMS, etc.) to get this all done.
2. My brother and his wife are on iPhone 4 and 4s, respectively, and I don't believe they have SIMs if I remember correctly, so not sure what to do in this case to be able to swap SIMs with the methods I've read.
3. I heard from a co-worker that talked to Verizon recently (which I realize is his first mistake, talking to Verizon) when you transfer an upgrade from one line to another that Verizon now tracks which line the upgrade came from. So, he's saying if I take the upgrade from my UDP line, transfer it to the 2GB TDP line, then use the upgrade through the 2GB line that it will still trace back to my UDP line and I'll lose my Unlimited data. I'm thinking with the SIM swap method it won't affect my UDP, but wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone else has run into trouble when transferring upgrades recently.

Anyone out there wanna take a stab at this and detail how I should go about getting all 3 UDP lines upgraded while keeping Unlimited Data? I'd really appreciate any help I can get!

douggw

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

Uh Oh, I think I may have messed up.
4 Lines, all UDP, 3 have upgrades. I successfully upgraded 2 lines with new phones, kept UDP. I'm on my last phone and think I may have messed up. I want to put the new phone on L4, which does not have an upgrade. I ordered phone from Best Buy, saying I wanted to buy the phone for L4 and I used an upgrade from L2. When the phone comes, I am putting it on L4.

I think what I was supposed to do, was order the phone for L2, but when it comes, activate it on L4 instead, right?

You would think after doing two other phones successfully, I would remember what I did....but I think I got a little confused by swapping lines around -- I think I have to activate the new phone on a different line than I ordered it on..is that right?

So since I told BB I was ordering for L4, and I actually want to put the new phone on L4, I have to get a new sim or cut one down.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Uh Oh, I think I may have messed up.
4 Lines, all UDP, 3 have upgrades. I successfully upgraded 2 lines with new phones, kept UDP. I'm on my last phone and think I may have messed up. I want to put the new phone on L4, which does not have an upgrade. I ordered phone from Best Buy, saying I wanted to buy the phone for L4 and I used an upgrade from L2. When the phone comes, I am putting it on L4.

I think what I was supposed to do, was order the phone for L2, but when it comes, activate it on L4 instead, right?

You would think after doing two other phones successfully, I would remember what I did....but I think I got a little confused by swapping lines around -- I think I have to activate the new phone on a different line than I ordered it on..is that right?

So since I told BB I was ordering for L4, and I actually want to put the new phone on L4, I have to get a new sim or cut one down.

Based on your post, I'm not sure exactly what you did. When you log into Verizon where is there a pending activation? On Line 2 or 4? That will give you an idea of which line got the upgrade. If it is Line 2, then it is safe to activate directly onto Line 4. If it is Line 4, then you have a few options:

1.) Cut your old SIM to the correct size

2.) Activate the phone on a different line that has the exact same SIM size as the new phone. Once you do this, take the old phone and activate it on Line 4. Wait an hour or so and then swap SIMs.

3.) Return and start over

douggw

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

Based on your post, I'm not sure exactly what you did. When you log into Verizon where is there a pending activation? On Line 2 or 4? That will give you an idea of which line got the upgrade. If it is Line 2, then it is safe to activate directly onto Line 4. If it is Line 4, then you have a few options:

1.) Cut your old SIM to the correct size

2.) Activate the phone on a different line that has the exact same SIM size as the new phone. Once you do this, take the old phone and activate it on Line 4. Wait an hour or so and then swap SIMs.

3.) Return and start over

The order from BB hasn't shipped yet, so I can't tell about the pending orders. What I did was tell BB I wanted to upgrade L4, but I want to actually put the new phone on L4. I had to use an upgrade from L2 because L4 didn't have an upgrade. But I think I was supposed to tell BB I wanted to put the new phone on any other line besides L4, and then when the new phone comes, actually activate it on L4.

Joe Warfel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

I'm in the process of doing the Best Buy method (via Amazon). Quick question, once I swap the SIM and everything is running, will Verizon "know" I'm on the new phone? Specifically I want to know if they will start sending Over-The-Air system updates to the new phone. I'm trying to avoid that if possible, the only reason I needed a new phone in the first place is that the latest RAZR HD update effectively ruined my old one. Any suggestions on avoiding OTA updates is appreciated (yes, I know I can just refuse it, but having to do that every time I turn on my phone is not a solution).

barajasp

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

So I did best buy method and purchased a note 4. I read that I'd having a pending verification notice someone in the acct. But when I log into my acct. I don't see that anywhere. Where will it say it? I want to know if it fell off. I bought the phone like 2 weeks ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vergoña69