[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

stick1300

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

So, just to make sure I have this straight before I try it, I can:

1. Go to the VZW site and transfer my upgrade from my line (that has unlimited data) to my gf's (which has the 2gb plan) line
2. Order a new phone (can I do this from Amazon?)
3. Activate it on her line.
4. Deactivate it.
5. Reactivate her RAZR M
6. Activate the new one (Note 2, probably) on my line.
7. Win

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

So, just to make sure I have this straight before I try it, I can:

1. Go to the VZW site and transfer my upgrade from my line (that has unlimited data) to my gf's (which has the 2gb plan) line
2. Order a new phone (can I do this from Amazon?)
3. Activate it on her line.
4. Deactivate it.
5. Reactivate her RAZR M
6. Activate the new one (Note 2, probably) on my line.
7. Win

You can use amazon but read their terms closely. I believe they charge an extra fee for deactivating the device. Best buy, Costco and Verizon were the only places we confirmed so not have fees.

Transmitted through spacetime.

stick1300

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

I think it's only if you cancel the line, not the device. Last year, I ordered a GNex from amazon (added a line), activated it on the new line, then swapped over a feature phone (removed the data too) and activated the GNex on my line.

blaircsf

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

I'm pretty sure this will work based on what I've read, but hoping someone can confirm. I have a family plan with 3 unlimited data lines, one dumb phone line. Currently 2 data lines and the dumb phone line have upgrades available (last data line upgrade is next month). My thought is this:
Upgrade dumb phone line to smart phone (tiered data), activate, then reactivate dumb phone and move smart phone to unlimited data line.
Transfer data line 1 upgrade to dumb phone line, activate, reactivate dumb phone and move smart phone.
Transfer data line 2 upgrade to dumb phone line, etc.
This would get 3 new smart phones for subsidized prices and I would have one more upgrade in a month. Does this seem valid to everyone? Can you transfer the upgrades repeatedly to the same line like that?
Thanks.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I'm pretty sure this will work based on what I've read, but hoping someone can confirm. I have a family plan with 3 unlimited data lines, one dumb phone line. Currently 2 data lines and the dumb phone line have upgrades available (last data line upgrade is next month). My thought is this:
Upgrade dumb phone line to smart phone (tiered data), activate, then reactivate dumb phone and move smart phone to unlimited data line.
Transfer data line 1 upgrade to dumb phone line, activate, reactivate dumb phone and move smart phone.
Transfer data line 2 upgrade to dumb phone line, etc.
This would get 3 new smart phones for subsidized prices and I would have one more upgrade in a month. Does this seem valid to everyone? Can you transfer the upgrades repeatedly to the same line like that?
Thanks.

That's pretty much exactly it.

desisangel

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Has anyone tried upgrading thru bestbuy / costco after doing an upgrade transfer online, recently ? My upgrade transfer isn't sticking, meaning as soon as I log out and back it, all upgrades dates are back to the original. Hope that make sense!

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Has anyone tried upgrading thru bestbuy / costco after doing an upgrade transfer online, recently ? My upgrade transfer isn't sticking, meaning as soon as I log out and back it, all upgrades dates are back to the original. Hope that make sense!

I believe you actually have to complete the upgrade online.

Bigwavedave25

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

I added a new line to get a 32GB S4 with our Nationwide Share 2000 plan on 7/5, got the phone yesterday. Plan to transfer an upgrade to get another one for the wife before activating the dumb phone.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

That's great!
So, I made a friend at a Vz satellite store who confirmed to me the transfer was still possible (which you are well aware of) and even offered to help out when I was ready to make the deal. Said he has done it many times lately. :thumbup:

underd86

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

I have 5 lines all with smartphones and unlimited data, can i add a 6th then make it a dumb phone or is locked a 5 lines only? Thanks

mistermojorizin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

I was reading on XDA, that some people were able to keep their unlimited data by
1. using an upgrade on a different line
2. NOT activating the phone on the different line
3. NOT doing a device switch
4. but rather popping in the LTE SIM card from the old phone on the unlimited line to the new LTE phone.

This would be preferable as it would let me skip a step or 2. Get new phone on another line, pop in LTE SIM. Done.

Any experience with this?

chris4455

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

has anyone encountered problems with swapping an iphone 4 with a galaxy 4s? any 3g to 4g problems?

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I have 5 lines all with smartphones and unlimited data, can i add a 6th then make it a dumb phone or is locked a 5 lines only? Thanks

I inquired about this a few years ago, they said there was a maximum of 5 devices on our Family Share plan. Not sure if your plan would be the same. Probably have to check with Verizon to make sure.

chris4455

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

do i need to buy another sim card when doing the swap? im buying a galaxy s4 and swapping it to my wife who has an iphone4 with unlimited data

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

do i need to buy another sim card when doing the swap? im buying a galaxy s4 and swapping it to my wife who has an iphone4 with unlimited data

They should give you one in a corporate store.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

chris4455

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

They should give you one in a corporate store.

i recieved the 4g sim card with the new phone, but after i activate it to the dummy line will i need a new 4g sim card for when i switch it to the unlimited plan

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

i recieved the 4g sim card with the new phone, but after i activate it to the dummy line will i need a new 4g sim card for when i switch it to the unlimited plan

Easiest thing to do would be to go to the store and get a new SIM.

That being said, I believe it is possible to reuse a SIM card. You have to have the sim deactivated for 24 hours or something like that. My wife got an iPhone 5 for an alternate line. The phone was activated on that line. We then had to wait 24 hours before customer service could transfer it.

mrmatt#AC

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site

So glad I found this thread before contemplating switching to share everything and loosing my unlimited data!

My current situation is a family share plan (voice+Text) with 3 Smart Phones, one of which has unlimited data, the other two are 2gb data plans. My line (unlimited) is ready for an upgrade on 8/15, the other two are set for upgrades a year from now. The way I understand it I have two options for keeping my unlimited data, if anyone can let me know if these are accurate or where I might be wrong that would be great.

Option 1 - Add a fourth line to my account - on this line purchase a new smart phone + data plan either from vzw direct or best buy, once I receive the phone do an ESN transfer on the new phone to my current unlimited data account, and activate a 'dumb' phone on the fourth account, remove data plan from fourth account. This lets me keep unlimited data, also allows me to keep my upgrade on my unlimited account that could be transferred to any other account for an upgrade later, and gets me another upgrade that can be used every 2 years. However it adds $10/mo to my monthly charges.

Option 2 - Transfer my upgrade to one of the existing 2gb data accounts via the vzw website (I don't see the option now but assuming it will show up after the 15th when my upgrade is available), buy a new phone with that upgrade on one of the 2gb accounts like I normally would, after purchased re-activate the 2gb account's existing phone on that account. Then add the new phone to my account. The way I understand it the 2gb account that I transferred my upgrade to will still have it's upgrade timer / contract as-is today (about 1 year) but my unlimited upgrade (and contract) will be reset to 2 years.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

So glad I found this thread before contemplating switching to share everything and loosing my unlimited data!

My current situation is a family share plan (voice+Text) with 3 Smart Phones, one of which has unlimited data, the other two are 2gb data plans. My line (unlimited) is ready for an upgrade on 8/15, the other two are set for upgrades a year from now. The way I understand it I have two options for keeping my unlimited data, if anyone can let me know if these are accurate or where I might be wrong that would be great.

Option 1 - Add a fourth line to my account - on this line purchase a new smart phone + data plan either from vzw direct or best buy, once I receive the phone do an ESN transfer on the new phone to my current unlimited data account, and activate a 'dumb' phone on the fourth account, remove data plan from fourth account. This lets me keep unlimited data, also allows me to keep my upgrade on my unlimited account that could be transferred to any other account for an upgrade later, and gets me another upgrade that can be used every 2 years. However it adds $10/mo to my monthly charges.

Option 2 - Transfer my upgrade to one of the existing 2gb data accounts via the vzw website (I don't see the option now but assuming it will show up after the 15th when my upgrade is available), buy a new phone with that upgrade on one of the 2gb accounts like I normally would, after purchased re-activate the 2gb account's existing phone on that account. Then add the new phone to my account. The way I understand it the 2gb account that I transferred my upgrade to will still have it's upgrade timer / contract as-is today (about 1 year) but my unlimited upgrade (and contract) will be reset to 2 years.

Seems right.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

I'm very sorry if this has been posted before further back but I'm running into a road block. My line has unlimited data and is ready for an upgrade. I'd like to transfer that upgrade to a line that doesn't have an upgrade. The guy I talked to told me I'd lose my unlimited data if I do that. Everyone here seems to say differently. Did I just get a rep that doesn't know what he's talking about? Or am I missing something?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers