Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 59 of 140 FirstFirst ... 56575859606162 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 3491
Like Tree281Likes

Default Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    Heres my situation.

1- razr maxx unlimited, eligible for upgrade
    2-IPhone 4s unlimited, not eligible for anything
    3- lg dare dumb phone eligible for upgrade

From what I'm reading I can upgrade the dumb phone to obtain a subsidized new phone and obtain the minimum 2 GB data.

Now, am I activating the new phone on line three first, then deactivating it and putting dumb phone back on three. Then activate the new phone on line one but obtain a new Sim card since the new phone will have a nanosim not compatible with my RAZR maxx?

Or

Am I just taking the new phone when it arrives and activating it straight on line 1 completely ignoring line three.

If that's the case what happens to the plan on line three after I go thru the whole online process of upgrading that line and choosing a new data line only to do nothing to the line?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
    Do the bolded.

Quote Originally Posted by dss2000 View Post
    I think when you transfer and upgrade that originated from the unlimited line you have to go through the process of activating on the basic phone, put the basic phone back on, then activate on the unlimited line. But when the upgrade originates from the basic line you can just order the upgrade from the basic line, and then just activate it on your unlimited line.

Now doing upgrading from the unlimited line and activating it on another unlimited line without any basic phone intermediary seems a bit of a stretch. It could work but I'm not sure.

But to support my first premiss that if the upgrade is coming from the basic line you can just activate it on the unlimited line look at the comments from this article:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/09/17...rizon-upgrade/
    213ninja 3 days ago −
    i can confirm that when using the second (online) method described in option 2 that there is no need to activate the new phone on your dummy line first. just slap your sim card in that summamabitch and you're done. i have done this at least 5 times with zero issues over the past 2 or 3 years.
    But on that same thread this poster said they even transferred the upgrade and just activated it on their unlimited line:

T4rd CaptainDisillusion 3 days ago −
    I don't think you had to activate the new phone on her line in the first place.
    I just did the same thing (transferred my lines upgrade to my mom's line that has a 2GB plan) and when I got the phone, I simply swapped SIM cards from my old phone to the new one and was good to go. Never had to mess with her line at all other than transferring the upgrade to it.
    2 ReplyShare

Quote Originally Posted by dss2000 View Post
    But on that same thread this poster said they even transferred the upgrade and just activated it on their unlimited line:

T4rd CaptainDisillusion 3 days ago −
    I don't think you had to activate the new phone on her line in the first place.
    I just did the same thing (transferred my lines upgrade to my mom's line that has a 2GB plan) and when I got the phone, I simply swapped SIM cards from my old phone to the new one and was good to go. Never had to mess with her line at all other than transferring the upgrade to it.
    2 ReplyShare
    And here is another poster saying same thing:
    IBT 3 days ago −
    I just did this by way of upgrading another line on my account from the web. When the new phone arrives, simply power down YOUR phone, remove SIM, place in newly arrived phone and you're done. You activate and assume the new phone, the phone you used to upgrade with reverts to its original state. Any data plan you chose will automatically fall off if its a dumbphone. Easy, no contacting of Verizon required.

Also found an interesting post from a Verizon Rep probably why when you go into the store some will lie to you. They don't want to waste their time because they don't get a commission when you upgrade using this method:
    gmx 2 days ago −
    I just have one request in regards to this article as a vzw employee please don't go into the store and ask a rep to do this for you. We do not get paid on alternate upgrades therefore you are wasting our time helping you to game the system. Do this online yourself if it is that important to you. You can come in after to switch the phones around just don't do the upgrade in store. Also check your usage on vzw.com before you get all I NEED MY UNLIMITED DATA!!! I see if everyday people say that and I look at their usage and they use like 200MB/Mo. Also if you use unlimited data you are prob a techie and should be able to figure this out yourself. If you couldn't you prob don't need unlimited data.

Heres my situation.

1- razr maxx unlimited, eligible for upgrade
    2-IPhone 4s unlimited, not eligible for anything
    3- lg dare dumb phone eligible for upgrade

From what I'm reading I can upgrade the dumb phone to obtain a subsidized new phone and obtain the minimum 2 GB data.

Now, am I activating the new phone on line three first, then deactivating it and putting dumb phone back on three. Then activate the new phone on line one but obtain a new Sim card since the new phone will have a nanosim not compatible with my RAZR maxx?

Or

Am I just taking the new phone when it arrives and activating it straight on line 1 completely ignoring line three.

If that's the case what happens to the plan on line three after I go thru the whole online process of upgrading that line and choosing a new data line only to do nothing to the line?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
    Both methods appears to work. The first is more proven by several users in this thread. If you look at the comments in the below link will see that the second seems to works too and simpler and avoids the potential stuck SIM problem that sometimes occurs. The data plan doesn't kick in until you activate that phone. When you put it on another phone it will just drop off and will revert to what you had before, or after a period of time it will expire and fall off.
    http://www.droid-life.com/2013/09/17...rizon-upgrade/

Quote Originally Posted by cc1995 View Post
    Hey guys. I got some great advice on this thread about ugrading both my wife's and my unlimited plans. I was going to knock her down to a 2 GB tiered since she doesn't use much data and then switch my upgrade to her line and have her activate it and deactivate it and then use it on my line keeping my unlimited in place. I called sales at Verizon online and they guy told me that I could just have my wife order the upgrade online and choose the 2GB tiered plan but when the phone arrives make sure that she doesn't activate it and I can take the phone and first activate it on my existing line and since she didn't activate it her plan won't change. Then when she wants to upgrade her line. I use my upgrade to order her ohone online and do the same thing. Choose the new 2GB tiered plan and when the phone arrives I make sure not to activate it on my line and just have her activate it on her line, thus my unlimited won't change since I never activated the phone on my line. Both lines contracts will extend for another two years but our unlimited data won't change since we never activated the new phones we ordered on the line we order the upgrade on. I asked him repeatedly if this would keep our unlimited plans in place and he assured me it would. I just want to check on this forum if this sounds correct and if anyone has ever tried this. It would be great if this worked since we would both get to keep our unlimited data.
    Yes, cc1995 also mentioned this. See their post above. Do you have a link where someone has done this and verified that it works?

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patal05 View Post
    Yes, that's the normal email. Technically the email is correct. It is for the unlimited line because that's where the contract is being extended. However, if you activate it on the basic line first, the contract will be extended on the unlimited line, but you won't lose unlimited data. The phone should ship with a SIM card that will auto-activate on the basic line, but that may be phone specific. If the phone number rubber banded to the box is the basic line, then just turn the phone on.
    Ok, so the email is standard. But is email showing the unlimited data number along with the 2GB data plan added on standard also? I transferred my upgrade (from my unlimited data to my sister in law's tiered data line). She will actually keep the iphone 5S on her tiered line permantley. But I wanted to give my sister in law my upgrade since that line was eligible for upgrade.

I don't plan on "deactivating" my transferred line that my sister in law will be using the iphone 5s. I just wanted to use the subsidy upgrade. I leave my Verizon LTE sim with unlimited data in my Verizon iPad 100% of the time anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
    Ok, so the email is standard. But is email showing the unlimited data number along with the 2GB data plan added on standard also? I transferred my upgrade (from my unlimited data to my sister in law's tiered data line). She will actually keep the iphone 5S on her tiered line permantley. But I wanted to give my sister in law my upgrade since that line was eligible for upgrade.

I don't plan on "deactivating" my transferred line that my sister in law will be using the iphone 5s. I just wanted to use the subsidy upgrade. I leave my Verizon LTE sim with unlimited data in my Verizon iPad 100% of the time anyways.
    Does it say that under the "Plan Features?" That list should reflect the plan that the phone will actually be on. It's confusing, but that's how it looked for me too.

I'm not that familiar with prepaid phones. Are they different in some way than regular Verizon contract phones? When starting a new line to get a smartphone could you then activate a cheap Prepaid phone like a Samsung Gusto 2 on the line to drop data and to free up the smartphone? Thanks in advance.

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patal05 View Post
    Does it say that under the "Plan Features?" That list should reflect the plan that the phone will actually be on. It's confusing, but that's how it looked for me too.
    Yes. It says that under plane features. So 2gb reflected the tiered data line (line 2) I added data to. And my number listed in email confirmation (unlimited line) was in email. So the plan features reflect the transferred upgraded line. I think I got it.

One past thing. I log into verizon and my unlimited line says (upgrade in process) and I cannot change the features unless I call customer service. So that's normal?

I've been looking around on some more info regarding the 'transfer upgrade from' feature to an unlimited line, but haven't found solid word. I've got three devices

(1) Dumbphone - Eligible for upgrade
    (1) Smartphone (4GB plan) - Eligible for upgrade
    (1) Smartphone (Unlimited) - Eligible for upgrade

I was going through the process of using my dumbphone upgrade to go on my unlimited line, but when it came to choosing plans, I get a notice saying my unlimited plan was no longer available and I had to choose one of their newer plans. Am I missing something here? I thought this was supposed to be a very simple process, but it doesn't look like I can keep my contract as is, even if I'm using another line's upgrade. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by KassaNovaKaine View Post
    I've been looking around on some more info regarding the 'transfer upgrade from' feature to an unlimited line, but haven't found solid word. I've got three devices

I was going through the process of using my dumbphone upgrade to go on my unlimited line, but when it came to choosing plans, I get a notice saying my unlimited plan was no longer available and I had to choose one of their newer plans. Am I missing something here? I thought this was supposed to be a very simple process, but it doesn't look like I can keep my contract as is, even if I'm using another line's upgrade. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Since all 3 phones are eligible you can not transfer a upgrade. Just upgrade one of the phones that is not unlimited, activate it on that line. Did activate old phone back on that line and new phone to unlimited.

Tapatalk mofo

Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    Since all 3 phones are eligible you can not transfer a upgrade. Just upgrade one of the phones that is not unlimited, activate it on that line. Did activate old phone back on that line and new phone to unlimited.

Tapatalk mofo
    Thanks for the reply. Since I'm planning on using my dumphone's upgrade and I wanted to upgrade to the iPhone 5S which uses a nano-SIM, how complicated is this process? I'm assuming Verizon's online checkout will think I'm intending to give my dumphone line a data plan (because I'll be purchasing the iPhone), so what's the most efficient way of handling this so I can keep all my plans as is without risking my unlimited or raising my bill?

Thanks for the reply. Since I'm planning on using my dumphone's upgrade and I wanted to upgrade to the iPhone 5S which uses a nano-SIM, how complicated is this process? I'm assuming Verizon's online checkout will think I'm intending to give my dumphone line a data plan (because I'll be purchasing the iPhone), so what's the most efficient way of handling this so I can keep all my plans as is without risking my unlimited or raising my bill?
    Add the cheapest data plan, you have to. Once you put the dumb phone back on the line it will go away. You may get charged a private rated price of a dollar or something like that.

Tapatalk mofo

Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    Add the cheapest data plan, you have to. Once you put the dumb phone back on the line it will go away. You may get charged a private rated price of a dollar or something like that.

Tapatalk mofo
    Ok, so just to clear on everything; order online using dumphone upgrade and choose the cheapest data plan. When iPhone 5S arrives, activate it using the dumbphone line. Then go on Verizon's website, switch line back to original dumbphone, and change unlimited line to the iPhone 5S? I can do all this immediately, no need to wait for their systems to update information and whatnot?

Ok, so just to clear on everything; order online using dumphone upgrade and choose the cheapest data plan. When iPhone 5S arrives, activate it using the dumbphone line. Then go on Verizon's website, switch line back to original dumbphone, and change unlimited line to the iPhone 5S? I can do all this immediately, no need to wait for their systems to update information and whatnot?
    That should be 100% correct!

Tapatalk mofo

There is still the issue of the nano sim when you put the iPhone back on the unlimited line. I think you have to get a new one as you won't be able to use the one that came with the iPhone.

You want just order the phone you want using the upgrade on the dumb-phone line. Activate 2GB of data. When you get the Phone activate it on the dumb-phone line. Then swap it to the line you want. Put the dumb phone back on that line and cancel the data. Don't upgrade when on your unlimited line. You will lose unlimited.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

There is still the issue of the nano sim when you put the iPhone back on the unlimited line. I think you have to get a new one as you won't be able to use the one that came with the iPhone.
    Would I just go to a Verizon retail store for that? Is it free?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    You want just order the phone you want using the upgrade on the dumb-phone line. Activate 2GB of data. When you get the Phone activate it on the dumb-phone line. Then swap it to the line you want. Put the dumb phone back on that line and cancel the data. Don't upgrade when on your unlimited line. You will lose unlimited.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
    Yeah, that's what the other poster said. Thanks. Hopefully it's an easy process online with swapping lines. I've never done it before so I don't want to mess things up and accidentally screw my unlimited line up.

Would I just go to a Verizon retail store for that? Is it free?

Yeah, that's what the other poster said. Thanks. Hopefully it's an easy process online with swapping lines. I've never done it before so I don't want to mess things up and accidentally screw my unlimited line up.
    You don't need a new SIM, I did the same thing earlier this year to get my wife a iPhone 5. Didn't need a new SIM.

Tapatalk mofo

Quote Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
    Yes. It says that under plane features. So 2gb reflected the tiered data line (line 2) I added data to. And my number listed in email confirmation (unlimited line) was in email. So the plan features reflect the transferred upgraded line. I think I got it.

One past thing. I log into verizon and my unlimited line says (upgrade in process) and I cannot change the features unless I call customer service. So that's normal?
    I also got this after I transferred my upgrade from an unlimited line to a dumb phone line. I took a screen shot from my confirmation page that DEFINITELY indicates that I ordered it for the dumb phone line. My email specifically indicates that the new iPhone 5s is for the unlimited line, with the features listed as 2GB data plan for this line. So I am a little concerned. When the new phone comes will it definitely have an indicator of which phone number the phone will activate on? If it comes for the wrong number (unlimited), we might be able to just call Verizon to make sure the SIM card number is tied to the correct line. Is this required?

Can anyone tell us when the phone arrives which phone number is explicitly designated for activation? When activating, do we need prepare this online by inputting the SIM or can we just turn it on in this situation?

Thanks!

OK, did the transfer upgrade online and my 5S is coming on wednesday. I'm going to update it on my dads 2GB line and then transfer it to me unlimited. Can anyone help me with this?

1) How long do I have to keep the new phone on the 2GB line?
    2) After I deactivate it from the 2GB line, how long should i wait to activate it on the unlimited?
    3) Should I do this process during business hours (9-5) or does it not matter since its all done online?

just had success in this scenario:

unlimited 3g line with upgrade
    other line with 2GB 3g plan

- Transferred upgrade to 2GB line
    - Received email confirmation with unlimited line phone number (don't worry)
    - Received shipping confirmation with correct, 2GB line phone number
    - Received phone and activated on 2GB Line (via automated phone activation system)
    - Switched device on 2GB line back to old device
    - Was told plan was not compatible, had to select 2GB plan again (because 4g --> 3g)
    - Switched device on Unlimited line to new phone ( ~2 hours later )
    - Was told plan was not compatible (3g -> 4g), first choice of plan was Unlimited
    - Phone didn't work right away, said number invalid when attempting to place a call, left it alone for 10 minutes and it started working

So I just ordered the G2 using my mom's upgrade eligibility (2GB/mo) and plan on activating it for my brother on his unlimited line.

From what I understand, if he has a different size SIM card then all I would need to do is walk in to a Verizon store to request a new micro SIM for him and once I get it just place it into the G2 and he should be good to go correct? (Assuming the G2 has been freed up already by activating on my mom's line then deactivating it)

Also, just to confirm, as long as the SIM card sizes match up I can just put a SIM from an unlimited line directly into a "freed up" subsidized phone right?

Global Posts
    6,702 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by kunwpak View Post
    So I just ordered the G2 using my mom's upgrade eligibility (2GB/mo) and plan on activating it for my brother on his unlimited line.

From what I understand, if he has a different size SIM card then all I would need to do is walk in to a Verizon store to request a new micro SIM for him and once I get it just place it into the G2 and he should be good to go correct? (Assuming the G2 has been freed up already by activating on my mom's line then deactivating it)

Also, just to confirm, as long as the SIM card sizes match up I can just put a SIM from an unlimited line directly into a "freed up" subsidized phone right?
    It should come with one, but yeah if it doesn't you can go to a store or call them to request that they send you one.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    It should come with one, but yeah if it doesn't you can go to a store or call them to request that they send you one.
    What about if my current phone (w/unlimited data) and the phone I'm upgrading to (transferring upgrade->activating->deactivating->activating on unlimited line) have the same size SIM card?

Do I need to do anything special to activate the new phone on my unlimited line or can I just take the SIM out of my current phone and transfer it to the new phone and it should work fine?
Page 59 of 140 FirstFirst ... 56575859606162 ... LastLast