[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

jbeastafer

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

\ I have seen where you go online and upgrade the unlimited line with another upgrade and it lets you keep unlimited. The other line loses the upgrade but they activate the phone straight to the unlimited account and it says you keep unlimited data

Dynomite1

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site

Ok, as I read the first post. I see that I may be in the cat bird seat. I have my main unlimited data line, I have a dummy non smart line. 9$ per month) its due for an upgrade. I also am on family share plan. It seems I'm in the best situation but ?I'm curious and confused as to what to do first and where and how to go about each step. I.e. Do I go to verizon store and get the phone I ultimately want via upgrading the dummy / non smart line to smart line and add cheapest dat?a
plan to it? If that's right, then what is the very next move. Do I then go home
and call to cancel the just added data plan or deactivate it then go back to Verizon and swap the new now deactivated phone over to my unlimited line???thanks. Typing on this forum stinks

khoos

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

I went ahead and got my DNA on Saturday. It has to be at the VZ store or VZ website. to get this done. I went to the store because I found an experienced employee that knows the loop hole. She did this all for me at the store.
1. Add data to the dummy line choose your new smartphone
2. Activate the new smartphone
3. Deactivate and cancel the smartphone
4. Transfer the smartphone to your line.

TADA its done.

Ok, as I read the first post. I see that I may be in the cat bird seat. I have my main unlimited data line, I have a dummy non smart line. 9$ per month) its due for an upgrade. I also am on family share plan. It seems I'm in the best situation but ?I'm curious and confused as to what to do first and where and how to go about each step. I.e. Do I go to verizon store and get the phone I ultimately want via upgrading the dummy / non smart line to smart line and add cheapest dat?a
plan to it? If that's right, then what is the very next move. Do I then go home
and call to cancel the just added data plan or deactivate it then go back to Verizon and swap the new now deactivated phone over to my unlimited line???thanks. Typing on this forum stinks

Dynomite1

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
How long does it have to be active for?

Ok, just did this yesterday. It's easy. As the op stated I first went to Verizon rep and explained my intentions. He looked kinda surprised and said yeah "I don't see why not". So he upgraded my second line (dumb phone) on the family share plan to the phone I ultimately wanted, Samsung Galaxy S3. After upgrade, he immediately deactivated the S3. Then he did a device swap on or esn swap on my bionic to the S3. Then he reactivated the original dumb phone like if was when I walked in. He stated himself that it not much different than if I bought the S3 outright and came in for a device swap. The key thinking is...... As long as you don't directly upgrade the unlimited line you are fine. It just shows as an esn switch. Just have to do the dirty work on a spare line and preferably a dumb phone. There were no data charges for the five second addition on the dumb line. It was very smooth. My theory as to why Verizon has not closed the loophole is as follows....... Because if you have several lines on a family share plan you should be able to move lines around within your plan all you want to. Closing that loop would stop you from control your phones within you family share plan. With that being said, I wasn't waiting around for the next best thing fearing that bug red would find a way to close the loop. Line they could say.... "anytime you upgrade any phone in your plan you loose unlimited data" who knows. So I got it while a could and this photo editing is the best I've ever owned hands down.

comk4ver

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site

Okay I have a monkey wrench question to ask now. Here's my setup:
Two unlimited smartphones and two dumb phones.
One unlimited has an unmovable upgrade (has an upgrade plus fifty bucks credit?) and used an available upgrade on dumb line#1 to upgrade to a dna.
Dumb line #2 upgraded about eight or six months ago to another phone that doesn't require a data plan.
Unlimited line #2 has an available transferable upgrade where can that upgrade go?
Is it possible to move unlimited #2's upgrade to dumb line #2 even though it just upgraded or can I use unlimited #2 upgrade to dumb line #1 even though it just got upgraded in December of 2012?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

We all know that we want to keep our unlimited data plans if you are lucky enough to still have one and we also all probably don't want to pay full retail if we don't have to. Well, to help, I have an ongoing thread in the HTC Thunderbolt forums about keeping unlimited data and I wanted to clean that thread up a bit and post up a step by step set of instructions here of one method that you can use to keep unlimited data with Verizon Wireless. You can read through the thread here but the instructions below pretty much sum up the most common method without purchasing at full retail: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...s/220111-keeping-unlimited-data-question.html

I have not completed this process as I am still waiting for the phone to arrive (Note 2) and once it does, I will edit this post and revise the instructions if need be. This is exactly how I am upgrading to the Note 2 while keeping unlimited. You can see in the Thunderbolt thread that this method has been verified to work previously and has also been verified by VZW that it will work. I don't always trust the VZW people but this is pretty straight forward and I can see how it works. Maybe an "insider" can post up their thoughts or any additional instructions.

How to Keep Unlimited Data-Currently in a Family Share Plan-with this method, you must meet 2 criterion. First, you must currently already be on a Family Share (not Share Everything) plan and second, you need to have an upgrade available on a basic line that is currently on that plan.

(1)Figure out which lines are available for upgrade within your plan. DO NOT use an upgrade that currently has unlimited unless you have no other choice because you will lose unlimited data on that line. Example: You have a family share plan with 3 lines. 2 are smartphones both with unlimited data and 1 is a basic phone with no data. You would want to use the basic phone line for the upgrade. If you only currently have 2 lines and both are smartphones with unlimited data, using this method, you will have to lose unlimited on one of the lines in order to upgrade but you can switch the newly purchased phone over to the unlimited line.

(2)Use which ever line you chose for upgrade, ideally a basic line, and purchase the new phone at the subsidized price making sure that you are using the basic line upgrade and not your unlimited line upgrade. You will have to temporarily add data(choose the 2gb $30 plan) to that line and you'll see why in STEP (3).

(3)Once you receive your new phone, activate it onto the line that you used to upgrade which will deactivate the current phone on that line. <--This is very important. You CANNOT just activate the newly purchased phone directly to another line because you must first activate it on the line you used to upgrade to complete the upgrade and subsidized price process. If you were to activate directly to a line other than the line you used to upgrade and that line had unlimited data, you would lose unlimited because Verizon would think you used that unlimited line to purchased the upgrade.
(a)In order to be able to purchase a smartphone using an upgrade of a basic line, you will have to temporarily add a data plan that will be removed almost immediately. Verizon will most likely charge a prorated data plan cost at $1 provided you selected the $30 2gb plan stated in STEP (2)<--This is a cost that I have not been able to verify yet but I have been told you may have to pay a little more or nothing at all.

(4)Now that you have activated the new smartphone onto the basic line, it's time to free that nice new phone up to be used on your unlimited line. In order to do that, you have to reactivate which ever phone was originally on the line that you used to upgrade. This will deactivate the new phone and free it up for activation and use on your unlimited line and it will also drop the data plan that you had to add provided you reactivated a basic phone back to its number. I would still call VZW and make sure that the data plan has dropped but it should do so automatically.

(5)Congratulations!! You are now free to activate your new subsidized phone onto any of your unlimited lines. You can activate online or in store no problem!!

Well, there you have it. I apologize for it being so long winded but there are several small details that came up many times throughout my other thread so I wanted to clear them up. Again, this is not the only way to keep unlimited data but it is the most common and straight forward besides paying full retail. There is another method if you currently only have a single line plan with unlimited but that actually works out to be more expensive, over time, than just paying full retail. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post them and if you have anything to add to this please let me know!! Thanks for reading everyone!!

They are eliminating more and more of these work around. Especially in store. Just an FYI.

ala5656

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site

I went in to Verizon on Thursday without knowing anything about Verizon dropping its unlimited plan when upgrading...so I went ahead and upgraded my droid x to the DNA and was like yeah ok fine, that sucks but is what it is...
today my dad, who is the "owner" of our family plan, thinks I made a mistake in doing this (clearly, after reading this thread) and thinks I should return my phone to the store and then go through the steps listed here (which would theoretically work with a few of the lines in our family plan).

my question is this:

If I return my DNA and go back to my droid X which has(had) the unlimited plan, is it too late? have I already changed my plan where I can't go back?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

You have 14 days to decide, but I would decide quickly and not wait until day 14. If you return it to the store, see if they can reinstate your unlimited data plan on the spot and, if not, contact VZW customer service and have them go through the process of working to reinstate it.

Verizon doesn't want you to keep Unlimited Data, so don't expect any favors if you are outside the 14 day window.

jbd5010

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

I just went in the store today, upgraded a basic line to 2GB/month data and bought a Galaxy Note II. I got home, called my dad (on his landline--LOL) to have him re-activate his basic phone with *228, and then transferred the SIM card online to my unlimited data line. I didn't wait or anything, this all occurred in the past hour and a half, and all appears to be well. My unlimited data plan is still present!

jmayer77

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

Will this work?

I currently have 4 smartphone lines with unlimited data.

1. When I go to upgrade I will add a new line for 10 bucks a month with data initially.
2. Buy a smartphone on that line switch to another line.
3. Replace with dumb phone on new line cancel data.
4. For upgrading, transfer upgrade from unlimited line to new/dumb line, add data temporarily and then switch device to unlimited line.
5. Rinse and repeat for remaining lines.

I get to keep unlimited on all lines and have an extra upgrade for ~10 dollars + tax a month. Does this sound about right?

tnmurdock

May 27, 2010
Visit site

OK I have one unlimited line and a line that cost 20 bucks and it's about an hour of calling a month. Can I do this on this line? The unlimited is friends and family. But they are both on my account.HERE is another thing, recently someone at verizon tried to charge an iphone to my account. Verizon just says it appears to be an employee. Any one think I can get a phone out of this? i just have to keep my unlimited. But everytime I call verizon they say it's still be investigated. They did return my unlimted line back or so it shows, but the other line isn't 20 bucks a month anymore and it's the share everything plan. But still shows that I have the old Samsung camera flip phone as the phone. Any insight as to the way I should go is appreciated.

noordzy77

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

How long do I have to wait to switch? My wife is going tonight to get me a DNA on her line and we are going to switch it over in the morning to my unlimited line. Is the process difficult online?

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

Will this work?

I currently have 4 smartphone lines with unlimited data.

1. When I go to upgrade I will add a new line for 10 bucks a month with data initially.
2. Buy a smartphone on that line switch to another line.
3. Replace with dumb phone on new line cancel data.
4. For upgrading, transfer upgrade from unlimited line to new/dumb line, add data temporarily and then switch device to unlimited line.
5. Rinse and repeat for remaining lines.

I get to keep unlimited on all lines and have an extra upgrade for ~10 dollars + tax a month. Does this sound about right?

It should work.

tnmurdock said:
OK I have one unlimited line and a line that cost 20 bucks and it's about an hour of calling a month. Can I do this on this line? The unlimited is friends and family. But they are both on my account.HERE is another thing, recently someone at verizon tried to charge an iphone to my account. Verizon just says it appears to be an employee. Any one think I can get a phone out of this? i just have to keep my unlimited. But everytime I call verizon they say it's still be investigated. They did return my unlimted line back or so it shows, but the other line isn't 20 bucks a month anymore and it's the share everything plan. But still shows that I have the old Samsung camera flip phone as the phone. Any insight as to the way I should go is appreciated.

Are the two lines on the same plan, i.e. a family plan? If so, you should be able to use the method described here to keep unlimited on your one unlimited line. I believe (though someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that you can only transfer upgrades on the same plan from line to line, not between separate plans. If your lines are on the same plan, the second line can't be on a Share Everything plan without your first line, which makes it sound like you have two separate plans; it would be on a tiered plan which would allow to use it to transfer upgrades to in order to get subsidized phones on your unlimited line.

To answer your other question: don't count on getting a phone just because an employee accidentally/intentionally without your knowledge put one on your account.

noordzy77 said:
How long do I have to wait to switch? My wife is going tonight to get me a DNA on her line and we are going to switch it over in the morning to my unlimited line. Is the process difficult online?

As long as it's been activated on your wife's line, that step is done; there isn't (to my knowledge) a minimum time to keep it on your account. The only challenge in switching is that you probably will need a new SIM card for the DNA to put it on your line, which you can get at a VZW corporate store for free.

tnmurdock

May 27, 2010
Visit site

It should work.

Are the two lines on the same plan, i.e. a family plan? If so, you should be able to use the method described here to keep unlimited on your one unlimited line. I believe (though someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that you can only transfer upgrades on the same plan from line to line, not between separate plans. If your lines are on the same plan, the second line can't be on a Share Everything plan without your first line, which makes it sound like you have two separate plans; it would be on a tiered plan which would allow to use it to transfer upgrades to in order to get subsidized phones on your unlimited line.

So think I can switch the line back to the friends and family, which is my unlimited line. I am thinking about just buying full price. Just can't loose my unlimited. Might shoot by a verizon store to try and see.

To answer your other question: don't count on getting a phone just because an employee accidentally/intentionally without your knowledge put one on your account.

As long as it's been activated on your wife's line, that step is done; there isn't (to my knowledge) a minimum time to keep it on your account. The only challenge in switching is that you probably will need a new SIM card for the DNA to put it on your line, which you can get at a VZW corporate store for free.

NinaBR

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

First, thanks so much for this info! I was shocked yesterday when I went to upgrade and realized I'd have to lose my unlimited data. Did some googling and found this page. Here's my situation:

I have an iPhone 4 and a dumb phone on the family share plan. Both were eligible for upgrades, so I upgraded to an iPhone 5 on the dumb phone line at the Apple store. When I got home, (about an hour later) I went to Verizon's website and deactivated the iPhone 5 on that line, then reactivated the dumb phone. That went smoothly and it automatically dropped the data plan with no problem.

When I tried to activate the iPhone 5 on the other line (with unlimited data), I receive a pop-up message that says, "You are requesting to change from a 3G device to a 4G device. Your new device is 4G enabled and requires a SIM card. You may also need a new monthly plan." The only option is to cancel or click on "Continue to SIM cards." When I click on SIM cards, I have the option to buy a new one from Verizon, or say I already have an existing SIM card and enter the code for it."

My question is, which should I choose? I haven't seen this step in any of the forums I've read about this issue. Have I just not waited long enough for the SIM card in the iPhone 5 to deactivate? Or do I need to just put in the code for the iPhone 5 SIM card (& if so, where do I find that)? Or do I need to just buy a new SIM card from Verizon?

Thanks for any insight you can give! I'm just a little nervous because everyone at both the Apple store and the Verizon store last night kept telling me there was no way I could keep unlimited data, so I wanted to do everything online without getting a store rep involved. Thanks again!

NinaBR

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

Update, for anyone who may have been in my situation...

Success! I clicked on the option that said I already have a SIM card, input the SIM card number (found in Settings>General>About. SIM # is the ICCID #). Then I got a message saying that the new device was not compatible with my current data plan, and that I had to choose a new data plan. However, my Unlimited data plan was checked as the default, so (with fingers crossed!) I just left it checked and didn't choose one of the other options with the tiered data plans. It worked! When I went to the final page for review, it had all of the same information for the unlimited plan, and all of the same features and prices.

I had to do a hard reset, and when the phone turned back on, it said "Waiting to Activate". Took a few minutes, and then I was good to go!

strive53

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

Also took the leap today n was successful!! Activated in store and took it home and transferred everything online. My steps match the post above.Also would like to note that while researching i tried to find a Verizon tech that knew what I was trying to achieve just to make things easier. Techs know nothing don't believe them. All said it couldn't b done. One tech told me "good luck with that" in a cocky tone.... Hehe and good luck I had indeed! Love it thanks op!

Cringey

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Quick question... I asked this before but need a little more clarification. Family Share 700 with unlimited texts and data
1 Smartphone that is available for upgrade.
2 basic fones that are not till July.

Should I transfer the upgrade to one of the basic phones online, then go to store buy new one and data plan in store on the transferred basic, then go home and switch everything as stated above?

Thank you

Would that work?

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

Quick question... I asked this before but need a little more clarification. Family Share 700 with unlimited texts and data
1 Smartphone that is available for upgrade.
2 basic fones that are not till July.

Should I transfer the upgrade to one of the basic phones online, then go to store buy new one and data plan in store on the transferred basic, then go home and switch everything as stated above?

Thank you

Would that work?

You may be able to do the whole process in store depending on the location (IF you walk the rep through the process). But your method should work too if they won't do it in store.