[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

budmonster

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

No.

Because it makes no financial sense to do that. Here I will do the math, but again, I have mentioned the fact that you can get 3 subsidized phones and sell one to recoup the cost of the added line so that it is FREE several times.

If you get a $0 basic phone, the cost of the added line (Line 3) is $9.99 + taxes/fees x 24 months + $36 activation fee. Where I live, that is $312 + $36 = $348.

If you do it my way and buy a used basic phone for $20 and get an extra iPhone 5s to sell from best buy for $125, they are selling for $610-$650 on swappa.com now. Where I live you don't pay tax on the full value of the phone like in California, so where I live at best buy I could get a new iPhone for $132.50 + $36 activation fee = about $170. Add in the $20 for the basic phone and the cost is $190.

Assume I could only sell the extra iPhone 5s for $610. The swappa fee is $10, paypal fees are $18 and to ship signature required and insured, about $20 depending how far away you are shipping to. So after paypal fees, swappa fees and shipping fees, I net about $560. Then I paid $190 for it, the activation fee and the basic phone so I net $370. But the added line only costs me $348 for 2 years, so I actually made about $20 by doing it this way.

If you sell the extra iPhone 5s on craig's list, you may be able to do even better because no swappa, paypal or shipping fees.

So which makes more sense to you - to get a free basic phone but pay $350 for the next 2 years for the added line or to get a used basic phone and an extra iPhone 5s and earn enough by selling the extra iPhone 5s to pay for the cost of the added line for 2 years and actually make an additional $20 off the deal as well as having a FREE added line with a basic phone on it?

And you can still do it my way and get an extra iPhone 5s and use the ghost ESN instead of buying a used basic phone. Then you would make $40, but of course, you don't have a spare basic phone to use.

Ok, I understand the basic phone idea. Where does the 3rd iPhone come in? Are you saying once I add the basic phone I get an immediate upgrade? Then I just purchase the 3rd iPhone at the upgrade price. Once I get it I can sell it for a couple $100 and use that money to pay the $9.99/month for basic line? I'm just confused on how I purchase the 3rd iPhone? I know I get 2 new iPhone's b/c I'll be upgrading my current phones to them but don't understand how I get the 3rd iPhone at the 2yr price? And again this all optional right?

Last edited:

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Ok, I understand the basic phone idea. Where does the 3rd iPhone come in? Are you saying once I add the basic phone I get an immediate upgrade?
You are not adding a basic phone. You are buying a basic phone off of ebay or craig's list to use in this process.

When you add a line, you can buy a subsidized iPhone for that line - that is always the case when you add a line. You also have 2 upgrades on your unlimited data lines to get 2 more subsidized iPhones. So the new line gets a subsidized iPhone and the 2 unlimited data lines get subsidized iPhones - that is 3 subsidized iPhones.

Keep in mind this only works if you buy through Best Buy, Costco and Verizon as all of the other 3rd party retailers will charge you $400 if you downgrade the data plan before 181 days.

Here is what you do:

Go to best buy tomorrow and have them add a line to your account and when you do, pick the 32GB iPhone 5s in the color that you want for your phone and the 2GB data plan. That will cost you $225 + tax + $36 activation fee. They will activate it for you on the new line. Don't wait to do this because I don't know how long this price will last.

Then when you get home do this:

1) put the ghost ESN on the new line (Line 3) by logging onto Verizon, click switch/activate device, select the new line (Line 3), click activate a device not on your account before, input the ghost ESN, then follow directions
DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF PUTTING THE GHOST ESN ON YOUR UNLIMITED DATA LINE - YOU WILL LOSE UNLIMITED DATA IF YOU MAKE THAT MISTAKE.; and

2) then click switch/activate device, select your current line, click activate a device that has been on your account before, select the new iPhone 5s, input the SIM card number of the SIM card in the iPhone 5s when prompted (you will need a paper clip to remove the SIM card to read it and glasses to read the number unless you have very good eyesight) and otherwise follow directions.

At this point you will have the ghost ESN on the new line (Line 3) and you will have an iPhone 5s on your current line. Double check that the 2GB data plan dropped off of the new line (Line 3) but if it didn't, block data on the new line (Line 3).

After you have done that, come back here and we can walk you through the rest of what you need to do to complete the process.

I'm just confused on how I purchase the 3rd iPhone? I know I get 2 new iPhone's b/c I'll be upgrading my current phones to them but don't understand how I get the 3rd iPhone at the 2yr price?
You have 2 unlimited data lines eligible for an upgrade now that = 2 subsidized iPhones. When you add a new line you get to pick whatever phone you want at the subsidized price because you are signing a new 2 year contract. THAT is the 3rd iPhone.

ETA - I forgot you want the 32GB iPhone 5s, that is going for $225 at best buy right now so I edited the price. It is the best price around right now so go tomorrow if you can.

Last edited:

jbj79

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

I am in desperate need of your expertise with keeping my unlimited data on my accounts.

I have tried to do the transfer upgrade and order the phone for instore pickup. The store is refusing to let me pick up the phone (because they know I want to keep my unlimited data).

So far I have spent 3 days and 12+ hours with customer care to try to figure this out. It still isn't working--they keep saying it will kill my unlimited data on the line I transferred the upgrade from.

So this is what I tried:

1. I added a new dumb phone line, bringing my own equipment (an old samsung flip phone aka dumbphone). I used the subsidy on that phone to get a new iPhone 5s at best buy on 12/23. That went ok.
2. I activated the new iphone 5s on the dumbphone line and then reactivated my dumbphone on that flip line, freeing up the 5s to go to whatever line I want.
3. I then go to transfer one of my upgrades from one of my 5 unlimited lines back to the dumbphone line to use the loophole.
3. I selected to pickup in store, because I want to do this process 4 times over so I am left with 5 new iphones and all my unlimited data intact.
4. Store manager refuses to hand over my phone that was ordered thru MyVerizon.
5. Go to another store, they also refuse when I mention transferring my upgrade.

I want to get this figured out--ideally I get 5 new iPhone 5s' all with intact unlimited data and the basic flip phone by itself (since I have a fully loaded family share plan already).

I understand the process exactly, but 2 stores so far refuse to even sell me the phones because they figured out I want to keep my unlimited data. Anyone have any good reps in the Minneapolis/St. Paul MN area that could get this done for me in person? I would be eternally grateful!

Any other suggestions? I know I could do it one at a time and wait for each phone to be shipped to me, but that seems time consuming.

Thanks! Feel free to pm me or respond

Merry Xmas! Happy Holidays!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I am in desperate need of your expertise with keeping my unlimited data on my accounts.

I have tried to do the transfer upgrade and order the phone for instore pickup. The store is refusing to let me pick up the phone (because they know I want to keep my unlimited data).

So far I have spent 3 days and 12+ hours with customer care to try to figure this out. It still isn't working--they keep saying it will kill my unlimited data on the line I transferred the upgrade from.

So this is what I tried:

1. I added a new dumb phone line, bringing my own equipment (an old samsung flip phone aka dumbphone). I used the subsidy on that phone to get a new iPhone 5s at best buy on 12/23. That went ok.
2. I activated the new iphone 5s on the dumbphone line and then reactivated my dumbphone on that flip line, freeing up the 5s to go to whatever line I want.
3. I then go to transfer one of my upgrades from one of my 5 unlimited lines back to the dumbphone line to use the loophole.
3. I selected to pickup in store, because I want to do this process 4 times over so I am left with 5 new iphones and all my unlimited data intact.
4. Store manager refuses to hand over my phone that was ordered thru MyVerizon.
5. Go to another store, they also refuse when I mention transferring my upgrade.

I want to get this figured out--ideally I get 5 new iPhone 5s' all with intact unlimited data and the basic flip phone by itself (since I have a fully loaded family share plan already).

I understand the process exactly, but 2 stores so far refuse to even sell me the phones because they figured out I want to keep my unlimited data. Anyone have any good reps in the Minneapolis/St. Paul MN area that could get this done for me in person? I would be eternally grateful!

Any other suggestions? I know I could do it one at a time and wait for each phone to be shipped to me, but that seems time consuming.

Thanks! Feel free to pm me or respond

Merry Xmas! Happy Holidays!

getting out done in store is a major ymmv as you have found out. Best method would be to have it shipped to you, so you bypass the reps.

Other option is to just do Instore pickup but don't mention anything about unlimited data or transferring upgrade. Ymmv, and verizon may screw up your account Inc store rep may screw up your account, so I wouldn't recommended out, but if you insist on doing it on store then it is an option.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

jbj79

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

getting out done in store is a major ymmv as you have found out. Best method would be to have it shipped to you, so you bypass the reps.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone (or you) know how Best Buy is able to transfer upgrades? On this thread some people have mentioned having Best But do the transferring and everything working. The best buy I was is couldn't do that. Or did they just not know how?

Anyway to get this done all at once? Otherwise I gotta wait for 4 phones to come in the mail to get this done. Time is of the essence as I leave January 4th so it all needs to be done before then.

Any ideas!

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

they keep saying it will kill my unlimited data on the line I transferred the upgrade from.
No it won't if you actually did a transfer of the upgrade to a non-unlimited data line, purchased the phone on the non-unlimited data line AND then activate on that non-unlimited data line first.

Stop going thru the stores. At my store, they are complete aholes. They will try to screw anyone trying to keep unlimited data. Sounds like you have aholes at your store, too. Nothing anyone can do about that.

Try Best Buy or Costco.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Does anyone (or you) know how Best Buy is able to transfer upgrades?
Yeah, you go into best buy and say I want to transfer my upgrade to another line and upgrade on that line. Then double check that when they activate the phone the phone is activated on the non-unlimited data line.

On this thread some people have mentioned having Best But do the transferring and everything working. The best buy I was is couldn't do that. Or did they just not know how?
They asked me for my account password and then they were logged into my account. I told them to transfer the upgrade. They knew how to do it.

Anyway to get this done all at once? Otherwise I gotta wait for 4 phones to come in the mail to get this done. Time is of the essence as I leave January 4th so it all needs to be done before then.
No way to get it all done at once because you can only have one upgrade on a line at a time. You have to activate the phone to extinguish the upgrade and then transfer another upgrade and repeat.

jbj79

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

No it won't if you actually did a transfer of the upgrade to a non-unlimited data line, purchased the phone on the non-unlimited data line AND then activate on that non-unlimited data line first.

Stop going thru the stores. At my store, they are complete aholes. They will try to screw anyone trying to keep unlimited data. Sounds like you have aholes at your store, too. Nothing anyone can do about that.

Try Best Buy or Costco.

They are complete aholes! Do u know how to have Best Buy be able to transfer upgrades? I want iPhone 5s' so can't do Costco. As much as I want to do it at Costco-I love that place! No apple devices at all tho ;)

Please give me a way to do the rest at Best Buy!

jbj79

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
[Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Yeah, you go into best buy and say I want to transfer my upgrade to another line and upgrade on that line. Then double check that when they activate the phone the phone is activated on the non-unlimited data line.

They asked me for my account password and then they were logged into my account. I told them to transfer the upgrade. They knew how to do it.

Did you see their system's screen when they transferred your upgrades? My best buy rep couldn't figure it out. Said she couldn't. Any more guidance to tell them so they know how to do it? Or just try to find a knowledgable best buy rep to do it?

Thanks!

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Do u know how to have Best Buy be able to transfer upgrades?
I just told the guy to do it. He needed my account passcode and then did it. Once he got into my account, he could do it. He needs to be logged into your account as best I could tell.

Keep in mind that when you switch the basic phone back onto the new line, Best Buy loses their commission from Verizon so don't expect Best Buy to help you with that part. You are not going to be able to do this all at once at Best Buy for multiple phones. They will figure out that what you are doing is resulting in them losing their commission.

jbj79

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

I just told the guy to do it. He needed my account passcode and then did it. Once he got into my account, he could do it. He needs to be logged into your account as best I could tell.

Keep in mind that when you switch the basic phone back onto the new line, Best Buy loses their commission from Verizon so don't expect Best Buy to help you with that part. You are not going to be able to do this all at once at Best Buy for multiple phones. They will figure out that what you are doing is resulting in them losing their commission.

Ah I see. What do you suggest I do from here on out? Do 1 more at Best Buy? Or try to do 4 more there and hope they don't know they r losing their commissions? I don't want them to lose out, but I want to get this done and keep my unlimited data.

Thanks for the advice.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Ah I see. What do you suggest I do from here on out? Do 1 more at Best Buy?
I have 3 best buys in my town, so I could make the rounds if I had to. Try to find a Best buy where they know how to transfer upgrades and then ask them what they are doing so that when you go to another one, you can educate the sales people.

I don't want them to lose out, but I want to get this done and keep my unlimited data.
Unlike the Verizon stores, the best buy SAs aren't paid on commission so the person you are dealing with isn't losing pay. But the company is losing a commission and the manager wouldn't like it if the SAs are doing multiples of these at once so you aren't likely to get it done all at once at one store.

jbj79

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

I have 3 best buys in my town, so I could make the rounds if I had to. Try to find a Best buy where they know how to transfer upgrades and then ask them what they are doing so that when you go to another one, you can educate the sales people.

Unlike the Verizon stores, the best buy SAs aren't paid on commission so the person you are dealing with isn't losing pay. But the company is losing a commission and the manager wouldn't like it if the SAs are doing multiples of these at once so you aren't likely to get it done all at once at one store.

Ok that makes sense. I'll call tomorrow and see if someone at the best buy store knows how to actually transfer upgrades.

I actually have 1 iPhone being delivered tomorrow from customer service that was done as an alternate upgrade over the phone. Any knowledge if this will keep unlimited data as long as I activate it on my dumb line first?

Or does it have to be on the my verizon web system or in store? All the verizon reps are adamant I will lose unlimited data. I just don't want that to happen.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

I actually have 1 iPhone being delivered tomorrow from customer service that was done as an alternate upgrade over the phone. Any knowledge if this will keep unlimited data as long as I activate it on my dumb line first?
It depends on what you mean by an alternate upgrade. Typically, alternate upgrades are where they leave the upgrade on the unlimited data line, purchase the phone on the unlimited data line but then activate on a non-unlimited data line. That process WILL result in the loss of unlimited data. So if that is what has been done, yes, you will lose unlimited data.

To keep unlimited data you need to TRANSFER the upgrade FROM the unlimited data line TO a non-unlimited data line, purchase the new phone on the non-unlimited data line and then activate the new phone on the non-unlimited data line.

jbj79

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

It depends on what you mean by an alternate upgrade. Typically, alternate upgrades are where they leave the upgrade on the unlimited data line, purchase the phone on the unlimited data line but then activate on a non-unlimited data line. That process WILL result in the loss of unlimited data. So if that is what has been done, yes, you will lose unlimited data.

To keep unlimited data you need to TRANSFER the upgrade FROM the unlimited data line TO a non-unlimited data line, purchase the new phone on the non-unlimited data line and then activate the new phone on the non-unlimited data line.

Ok--so how do you actually transfer the upgrade? Just thru the my verizon system? How can Best Buy do it?

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Ok--so how do you actually transfer the upgrade? Just thru the my verizon system?
It's been posted repeatedly in this thread. I posted screen shots. You log onto your verizon account and select a non-unlimited data line that doesn't have an upgrade associated with it and you will have the option to transfer an upgrade to it.

How can Best Buy do it?
Presumably, they see something similar. I didn't look at the screen, but I did give them my passcode to get into the account.

jbj79

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

It's been posted repeatedly in this thread. I posted screen shots. You log onto your verizon account and select a non-unlimited data line that doesn't have an upgrade associated with it and you will have the option to transfer an upgrade to it.

Presumably, they see something similar. I didn't look at the screen, but I did give them my passcode to get into the account.

Could u link me to the posts that have the screenshots? This thread is long to comb through. I appreciate all the help!

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Could u link me to the posts that have the screenshots? This thread is long to comb through. I appreciate all the help!
log onto your account and start clicking around. it is obvious how to do this once you are logged on.

jbj79

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

log onto your account and start clicking around. it is obvious how to do this once you are logged on.

I see the button to upgrade a device, then I can click transfer device. Is this the only way (and a way that will keep my unlimited data) to get this done?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463