[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

K_Quinn

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Best Buy Mobile lets me keep Unlimited Data Plan on Verizon?

Hello,

So I just did this early morning, and just like everyone else have an unlimited plan trying to keep it. Checkout is how described with everyone else, I selected keep plan and all. However, it appears I got an email saying the order had failed and I had to call to in the next 48 hours before the order was cancelled. 1st time I called in, the lady took awhile, then the call dropped. 20 mins later called again, transferred to 'back-office' where the women asked for my order #, phone #, last 4 SS, and billing pass (she said to check eligibility). After being on hold she said that the order looked fine on her end but she would have to call verizon to see what the issue was. So I was put back on hold and at this time I was like 'noooope' and hung up.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

*Update*
-.- The second women was so nice to give me a call back... She pretty much said that she talked to verizon and because we had two plans, we would need to merge them...(aka share everything). She also said there was no DOB listed on my second line and she would need that to proceed (I'm thinking this might have brought up the red flag in the automated process, but what do I know).

So I guess I am stuck with proceeding and no longer be in the wonderful club of unlimited, or I cancel the order. Thing is that I had applied $75 worth of reward discounts and the $50 giftcard when u upgrade promo attached to it.. Hopefully I can reorder with those.

Let the order cancel itself if you don't mind waiting. This happened on 1 of our lines, they called and before I could tell them to cancel they switched my husbands UDP to a 2 GB plan. That's where all my problems came in if you go back and read. Switched to his original RAZR phone called Verizon. They were able to switch it back but it fried the SIM. No biggie. $3 later and a day later reactivated the phones. No problems since.

Just keep check on your account and see if the UDP was dropped, we were able to see within minutes that the plan changed. If the plan changes and you really want to keep your unlimited data here is what I'd do. Refuse the phone when it gets there. Or cancel the order and start over. I honestly think what screwed us was ordering both phones at the same time. Maybe do 1 wait til it gets there, or ships. Then order the other. If the plan did change call Verizon, you have 14 (or 15?) days to get your old plan back with your old phone.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

Been following this thread for a while now and was wondering if someone could just give a little clarification.
-Wife and I have been unlimited for a while with upgrades available.
-The wife uses very little data so a couple weeks ago I got here the free Iphone 5C from Verizon on the 6GB Max Loyalty program.
-I'm still due for an upgrade but need to keep my unlimited, just not happy with Verizons current Android phone promotions so waiting a bit.
-My question is, since the wife is on the 6GB Max Loyalty plan can I still do the upgrade swap to her line and keep my unlimited as well as keep her 6gb? I haven't tried it out online yet but I wasn't sure if I will have the option to keep the 6GB plan or if she would drop to the shared plans?
Thanks
Jason

You are in the wrong thread with this question. There is another thread with almost the same title that deals with keeping unlimited by transferring upgrades. Not that I don't want to help you but if the two threads start getting muddled up with each other that won't help anybody.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

jasonfoer

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

Whoops looked at the right thread and selected the wrong one. Thanks

You are in the wrong thread with this question. There is another thread with almost the same title that deals with keeping unlimited by transferring upgrades. Not that I don't want to help you but if the two threads start getting muddled up with each other that won't help anybody.

jasonfoer

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Been following this thread for a while now and was wondering if someone could just give a little clarification.
-The wife uses very little data so a couple weeks ago I got here the free Iphone 5C from Verizon on the 6GB Max Loyalty program.
-I'm still due for an upgrade but need to keep my unlimited, just not happy with Verizons current Android phone promotions so waiting a bit.
-My question is, since the wife is on the 6GB Max Loyalty plan can I still do the upgrade swap to her line and keep my unlimited as well as keep her 6gb? I haven't tried it out online yet but I wasn't sure if I will have the option to keep the 6GB plan or if she would drop to the shared plans?
Thanks
Jason

MCAndroid2014

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site

Just curious but why did you get a S4 when the S5 and also the HTC M8 are available?
I didn't think the S5 was that big an upgrade over the S4. Plus I didnt want to chance it with 2 S5s for $400, rather than 2 S4s for $100.
I probably should have got the best phone I could afford for the long run. But I really don't need the latest and greatest. Right now I'm happy upgrading my sluggish Bionic with UDP intact.
Hopefully we'll have another bestbuy or another glitch in 2 years for new phones and UDP.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Thanks
Jason

From everything I remember reading your wife will not lose the 6GB on next update so I don't see a reason why this shouldn't work. But always keep in mind what you are clicking on before you do it. If it won't let you keep her 6GB then bail out.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Thanks
Jason

I would think you could transfer your upgrade to your wife's phone and then order what you want and then put that back on your unlimited line but I'm not sure how it would effect her 6GB Max plan. You could try starting the process and see if it requires a plan change and/or what plans it offers you before you finalize it.

Dijin

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

Still got my unlimited with my new s5. Now I'm just missing my root.

Posted via Android Central App

minidre

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

I am happy to report that this trick has worked for me, goodluck to all!

Thanks everyone for your help. I will be checking this post daily so if anybody has any questions to ask feel free. I will assist you if I am able to :)

Last edited:

tottenj

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site

Got the S5 today., but haven't activated it. I have a spare micro-SIM card that hasn't been in use for over a year. Can I put this sim in the phone and activate it on one of my dumb phone lines, or do I have to use my UDP sim to activate it first?

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

I was using the upgrade-dumb-phone-line-move-new-phone-to-UDP-line strategy. I couldn't figure out how to get the new phone active on the UDP line using the Web site, so I called customer service. After trying to explain what I needed done, the CSR said she knew I was going through the convoluted process to get the contract price on the new phone and keep UDP, and said "No problem, I understand, and I will take care of it for you". And she did. She even asked about getting insurance on the new phone, which I was worried about. I have verified that the UDP is still on the line which has the new phone, and the contract extension is on the dumb-phone line, with the dumb phone still active. I guess I was lucky in which CSR I got. The process is clearly "legal" and there is no need to try to hide what you are doing.

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

We all know that we want to keep our unlimited data plans if you are lucky enough to still have one and we also all probably don't want to pay full retail if we don't have to. Well, to help, I have an ongoing thread in the HTC Thunderbolt forums about keeping unlimited data and I wanted to clean that thread up a bit and post up a step by step set of instructions here of one method that you can use to keep unlimited data with Verizon Wireless. You can read through the thread here but the instructions below pretty much sum up the most common method without purchasing at full retail: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...s/220111-keeping-unlimited-data-question.html

I have not completed this process as I am still waiting for the phone to arrive (Note 2) and once it does, I will edit this post and revise the instructions if need be. This is exactly how I am upgrading to the Note 2 while keeping unlimited. You can see in the Thunderbolt thread that this method has been verified to work previously and has also been verified by VZW that it will work. I don't always trust the VZW people but this is pretty straight forward and I can see how it works. Maybe an "insider" can post up their thoughts or any additional instructions.

How to Keep Unlimited Data-Currently in a Family Share Plan-with this method, you must meet 2 criterion. First, you must currently already be on a Family Share (not Share Everything) plan and second, you need to have an upgrade available on a basic line that is currently on that plan.

(1)Figure out which lines are available for upgrade within your plan. DO NOT use an upgrade that currently has unlimited unless you have no other choice because you will lose unlimited data on that line. Example: You have a family share plan with 3 lines. 2 are smartphones both with unlimited data and 1 is a basic phone with no data. You would want to use the basic phone line for the upgrade. If you only currently have 2 lines and both are smartphones with unlimited data, using this method, you will have to lose unlimited on one of the lines in order to upgrade but you can switch the newly purchased phone over to the unlimited line.

(2)Use which ever line you chose for upgrade, ideally a basic line, and purchase the new phone at the subsidized price making sure that you are using the basic line upgrade and not your unlimited line upgrade. You will have to temporarily add data(choose the 2gb $30 plan) to that line and you'll see why in STEP (3).

(3)Once you receive your new phone, activate it onto the line that you used to upgrade which will deactivate the current phone on that line.

I have a iphone4 and I am incredibly unimpressed with it so I am now wanting to upgrade to a Nokia Icon. The only downfall about that is apparently I will lose my unlimited data even though I was grandfathered in. How can i avoid losing my unlimited data?

BygSii

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site

Got the S5 today., but haven't activated it. I have a spare micro-SIM card that hasn't been in use for over a year. Can I put this sim in the phone and activate it on one of my dumb phone lines, or do I have to use my UDP sim to activate it first?

With your spare Micro SIM that you haven't used in years, you should probably leave that alone. I sold a Razr Maxx to a guy who has Unlimited Data, used a spare Micro Sim to update phone since his old phone was only 3G, and they tried to get him to change his plan to a new share everything plan, both when calling in or going online. We had to get a brand new SIM card, go online, switch phones, it still prompted us to change data plan, we didn't select one, and submitted the SIM info, got an error message, but the SIM ended up working and it worked out that way.

I would activate the S5 with the same SIM card that you have the unlimited data plan on, and enjoy your new S5 with unlimited data. If it needs cut, cut it. If you need that phone or plan on a different line, I would forget about it. It's very difficult or almost impossible to try to make any changes with a UDP phone line without having someone forcing you to switch to a new plan.

TonyPerkis

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

I'll be getting my new S5 tomorrow. All I need to do is just put in my old SIM card and hope for the best? Do you have to call and activate the phone or anything? Fingers crossed this works.

tottenj

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site

Success so far! I activated the S5 on my wife's unlimited line and used her existing SIM card to activate it. It showed the S5 with unlimited data. She did not want the S5, so put her sim back in her existing old phone and it still shows unlimited.

edit:
Activated the S5 on a previous dumb phone line with no issue. Still showing unlimited on my wife's UDP :)

Last edited:

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

I'll be getting my new S5 tomorrow. All I need to do is just put in my old SIM card and hope for the best? Do you have to call and activate the phone or anything? Fingers crossed this works.

No activation call necessary. Just insert your old sim and turn on the phone.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

minidre

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

Is anybody having this annoying issue with their S5? Whenever you open up something for the first time it tells you about it in a small box, on the bottom there is something that says "do not show this again" with a little checkbox next to it.. i check the box but I always get this annoying message for anything I open, even if it's the same application!

If anybody has also moved from a galaxy nexus to an s5, where is the rerware folder located? Since there's no SD slow in the nexus

Last edited:

Eion

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

Dang it my contract on my S3 isn't up until end of June. I hope this is still working then....probably wontbe, but I can hope.
Side note, I hate that Verizon took away the ability to upgrade a few months early!!

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

I was using the upgrade-dumb-phone-line-move-new-phone-to-UDP-line strategy. I couldn't figure out how to get the new phone active on the UDP line using the Web site, so I called customer service. After trying to explain what I needed done, the CSR said she knew I was going through the convoluted process to get the contract price on the new phone and keep UDP, and said "No problem, I understand, and I will take care of it for you". And she did. She even asked about getting insurance on the new phone, which I was worried about. I have verified that the UDP is still on the line which has the new phone, and the contract extension is on the dumb-phone line, with the dumb phone still active. I guess I was lucky in which CSR I got. The process is clearly "legal" and there is no need to try to hide what you are doing.

Some just do it.... Others say you can't do it or you will lose your UDP. It is a crap shoot as to which one you get.

Sent from my Note 3