[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon to close the upgrade to smartphone then downgrade to basic phone loophole

If it is important to you, I would order tomorrow and spend a few extra bucks and choose Saturday delivery.
The increase is worth the piece of mind IMO.
GOOD LUCK

No argument there. I was waiting for the note 4 but on contract seemed the safest for unthrottled, and I didn't want to take chances with the new policy on 8/25 so I recently pushed the upgrade. Based on my peak usage , if I was tiered then I would have exceeded the retail cost of a phone a few times over in just one day

Also, if money is an issue, assuming that you have good credit, then you can use Bill to Account. You will pay it with the monthly bill

a3a6uvyq.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dlcj21

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Verizon to close the upgrade to smartphone then downgrade to basic phone loophole

I tried to place the order and it said 8/25 as the earliest date to arrive and that's with using the most expensive shipping option. There is a store pickup option which says it'll be ready in-store around an hr later...should I do that or would they have issues with me transferring the upgrade from my up line?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I tried to place the order and it said 8/25 as the earliest date to arrive and that's with using the most expensive shipping option. There is a store pickup option which says it'll be ready in-store around an hr later...should I do that or would they have issues with me transferring the upgrade from my up line?
That's weird is the phone in Stock?
If you choose Saturday delivery it should be delivered on the 23rd of August. If you select Saturday delivery and FedEx fails to attempt a Saturday delivery, it is usually very easy to call Verizon Wireless customer service and get them to credit your Saturday delivery charges.
I am not disputing what you saw however I think Saturday delivery if it is available would be the safest way for you to upgrade and keep your unlimited data, without having to worry about any upcoming policy changes.

Of course depending on where you live it is possible that saturday delivery is not offered.

modilino

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

Okay, Im pretty sure I can confirm a method needed for 2 UDP lines, both eligable for upgrades. I say "pretty sure," because it's only been 12 hours since I activated my new phones, but the UDP is showing up as still there on my verizon account.

I used the instructions from Smackus, over on the "Best Buy Mobile lets me keep Unlimited Data Plan on Verizon?" thread, post # 3786481 (it wont let me put a direct link in the post).

1. Order phone #1 through primary line
  2. Wait until phone #1 has shipped before attempting to order phone #2
  3. Order phone #2 by ordering it through primary line (transfer eligability from line #2 to line #1, so you will have seemingly ordered 2 new phones for line 1)
  4. Take out sim cards that come with new phones, replace with old sim cards from your current phones.

That's it. The phones didn't require a typical activation process, I guess due to the SIM cards being activated already. 60 seconds after turning on each phone, I could refresh my account on the verizon website and see the new phones on my UDP.

A couple of things:
  • I can't speak to any sim card compatibility issues; as my old phones were S3s and the new ones I bought through BB's website are S5s.
  • I doubt it makes a difference, but phone #1 in the steps I listed above is the phone I am using for line #2, which was also the phone I activated first. And by activated, I mean putting the old phone's sim card in the new phone and turning it on :)

Hopefully this helps some people. If I don't post an update about this, you can assume that the UDP stuck.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site

If you can pick it up in store I don't see a problem with it as long as you're not using the upgrade on a UDP line.

Transfer the upgrade, go to the store, and watch them activate it for you on the line you upgraded. Thank them and go home. Turn the new phone off, remove the SIM, and activate another phone on that line. For a 4G device, put the new SIM in and turn it on. Something older, go to the website and click on "Activate or Switch a Device" under your account and follow the prompts. Then put your SIM in the new phone and turn it on.

Note that this doesn't change after Sunday. What changes is the requirement that you keep paying for a data plan on a line you upgrade. Currently, if you switch the line you used the upgrade on back to a dumbphone, the data plan drops back off. Come Sunday, you'll have to keep paying for it even if you switch that line to a phone that can't use it.

2001400ex

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I want to thank those of you that have helped and responded to my questions. Ordered the phone Sunday. Made the switch last night, was super easy. Activated on the dumb phone line first. Then reactivated that phone through the online system, which already had the phone in there. Then activated my phone with my old SIM through the online system.

Now I have a G3 with unlimited data.

finalexit

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

I transferred my upgrade from my UDP line to a dumb phone line and purchased a galaxy s5 via the verizon website. I understand when I receive the phone I'm suppose to click on "Activate Device", select my UDP line, then enter the sim info to activate the phone on my UDP line.

The problem I'm having is when i click on activate device my current UDP phone is greyed out and it says:
"Our records indicate you recently purchased a device for this line of service but have not yet activated the device. You can change your allowance of minutes after you have activated your new device, or you may contact Customer Service at (800) 922-0204 for further assistance."

I've seen 1 other person with the same problem in this thread but no one replied to hiim and he never came back to say how he fixed it.

ScBlacksunshine

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Best Buy Mobile lets me keep Unlimited Data Plan on Verizon?

Worked for me as well. I am just worry once VZW found out and find a way to fix this, what will happen? I get the feeling, they will just fix the "glitch" like in Office space and you now have 2GB limited data and they rape you on overage for that month when you still think you have UDP..either that or they come after you for the data charge from day one of the upgrade. Let's hope it doesn't come to this but knowing Verizon nothing surprises me anymore

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

I transferred my upgrade from my UDP line to a dumb phone line and purchased a galaxy s5 via the verizon website. I understand when I receive the phone I'm suppose to click on "Activate Device", select my UDP line, then enter the sim info to activate the phone on my UDP line.

The problem I'm having is when i click on activate device my current UDP phone is greyed out and it says:
"Our records indicate you recently purchased a device for this line of service but have not yet activated the device. You can change your allowance of minutes after you have activated your new device, or you may contact Customer Service at (800) 922-0204 for further assistance."

I've seen 1 other person with the same problem in this thread but no one replied to hiim and he never came back to say how he fixed it.

Then activate it on the basic line, then switch back to a basic phone then activate it on your UDP. You can still remove the data on the basic line but you may have to call and have them do it. This can only be up to the 25th. This is the loophole Verizon is closing.

As one mentioned above as far as transferring an upgrade before the 25th in fear of losing the transfer capability or hidden changes they may make. I was right there with you on taking the plunge and getting the G3 but I have decided to risk it and wait for the Note 4. There is nothing that leads me to believe anything will change with the transfers and I also had an online chat with a rep assuring that Verizon has to notify their customers with any such changes (take that for what it's worth). So, fingers crossed and hoping to get a Note 4 at the subsidized pricing...

texasdmh

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

Best Buy is now showing that the S5 cannot be shipped - only for pick up in store. Isn't a key to this method having the phone shipped?

finalexit

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

It doesn't look like I'll receive the phone until after the 25th, even though I ordered it this morning (22nd). I wonder if the changes on the 25th will affect me since I've already ordered?

edit: I actually have chat logs from verizon CSRs telling me to use this method so hopefully they won't screw me over.

kil187

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Just the copper one is available to be shipped, gonna get my wife's tonight!

Snipeye

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site

You just did this, like within the last couple of days? Im on BB website now getting ready to pull the trigger and its asking me to confirm my VZW account info, is that the regular process? Thanks in advance. BTW Its not giving me the option to ship the white or charcoal GS5, just the copper/gold one.

edit: Is sending my info to the carrier also a normal step in the process that you went through?

Sorry for not getting back to this earlier. I did this last week, around 8/11. I purchased it 8/11 from Best Buy's website, received it 8/15, and confirmed that I kept my UDP. I just checked Verizon Wireless and I still have my UDP.

I did have to confirm my Verizon account info as part of my buying process, and they did send it for verification purposes. My best guess is to confirm that I am allowed an upgrade. Again, the main thing to do is to remove the included SIM card from the phone and put in yours BEFORE you turn the phone on. Turning the phone on with the pre-installed SIM will lose your UDP as others have said.

Good luck!

kil187

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

No worries bud, I did enough reading to reassure myself, in fact, it had worked since yesterday as I still have my UDP and I'm typing this on my new S5!

Last edited:

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

Got my GS5. Have been using it last night and today and still have unlimited data! I had trouble activating it on the tiered line last night and unfortunately had to talk to a VZW rep, but all seems to be well.

I still don't have an extended contract though; there's still a pending change on my line, showing the same greyed-out image finalexit is referring to a couple posts up. Hopefully that will resolve itself...

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

Got my GS5. Have been using it last night and today and still have unlimited data! I had trouble activating it on the tiered line last night and unfortunately had to talk to a VZW rep, but all seems to be well.

I still don't have an extended contract though; there's still a pending change on my line, showing the same greyed-out image finalexit is referring to a couple posts up. Hopefully that will resolve itself...

I'm sure it will clean out. I would have thought it cleared by now. Either way you should be just fine. You're not doing anything wrong.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: 4 UDPs on Family Plan in different parts of the country

UPDATE: Yeah, I just got off the phone with a different CSR and I didn't input my phone number and I declined giving it. I asked very frankly, and this CSR seemed more amenable to leveling with me, perhaps because it was a call that didn't need to be notated, and let me know that my UDP wouldn't indeed NOT BE CANCELLED if I did a upgrade transfer. Sorry if my post was alarmist.

Yup, lots of liars when they know they can get perhaps get you off the plan if they misinform you and then cancel the UDP themselves. I read somewhere that they are receiving compensation if they get people off the UDP plans - anyone know if this is accurate?
They are just doing what they are instructed to do.... Frankly I am surprised that any of them "level" with us since they can lose their job.