[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

So paranoid about losing Verizon UDP that I wanted to log in and ask just to make sure I don't screw something up.

Line 1 - UDP under contract til 9/15
Line 2 - UDP month to month
Line 3 - TDP under contract till 6/15
Line 4 - TDP under contract till 6/15

I'm going to be doing this via VZW.com

Step 1: Transfer upgrade from line 2 to line 3.
Step 2: Use transferred upgrade and order a new device on Verizon's website
Step 3: When device is shipped should I (A) activate the device with the sim that it shipped with since it was transferred to line 3 or (B) place the sim from line 2 into the new phone and go on my merry way?

You want to do 3A - activate it on the tiered line. You won't lose UDP, but this way will prevent a pending activation. You could do 3B,but you would get a pending activation. Now this will eventually drop off, but you can't really do anything with your account until it does.

Posted via Android Central App

camjam14

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site

I have a similar situation:.
Line 1: unlimited
Line 2: 2GB
Line 2 phone was stolen in Oct but did not have upgrade. Transferred upgrade from Line 1 to Line 2. New iPhone 6 from Best Buy for Line 2.
Line 1 now shows upgrade date of 10/31/2016.
Line 2 is now eligible for an upgrade.
VZW has Note 4 for $149.99.
I want to use the upgrade on Line 2 and order the Note 4 from Verizon for Line 1. When it arrives, can I just pull out the SIM and replace it with the SIM from Line 1?

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site

In the summer I got a new phone from Best Buy and used my old sim card in the new phone and it worked like a charm, still have unlimited. Wondering if I can use Best Buy again as there seems to be changes since then.

Line 1 - UDP eligible for upgrade, Note 2
Line 2 - UDP not eligible for upgrade, S5
Line 3 - basic texting phone not eligible for upgrade, want to upgrade to iphone6

I want to transfer Line 1 upgrade to Line 3 but keep Unlimited on Line 1. I called Verizon and was told Line 1 loses Unlimited and our best option would be the More Everything at 20 gb per month (I watch a lot of Netflix while commuting).

After trying to transfer upgrade on Best Buy website, got following message: "Contract extends 2 years, with new upgrade date". So does that mean Best Buy method really no longer works? :(

I guess if it comes down to it, we'll just move to the More Everything and get a 20-25 gb plan. We don't use more than 20 on average anyway. My husband is in a panic over losing unlimited and as it turns out I use almost twice what he does so I told him to relax. Still, so frustrating!!!! Really just wanted to add $30 on the bill with a 2gb plan for Line 3.

ii2334

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site

Hey guys..I have read the posts here and am paranoid about the losing data, so I thought I would ask here just to make sure I am doing it right.

I have the following:
1. iPhone 5 unlimited data (month to month)
2. iPhone 5 unlimited data (month to month)
3. Samsung Galaxy 3 Tiered Data Plan (still under contract)

We would like to upgrade both iphone 5 to iphone 6. I was going to (1) transfer one of the upgrades to the TDB (2) order from Best Buy an iphone 6 and have it shipped to my apartment (3) when it comes, don't turn on phone and switch SIM cards from iphone 5 to iphone 6. (4) Repeat for the other iphone

Do I have this right? Also, does anyone know if the SIM card on the iphone 6 is the same as iphone 5?

Thank you in advance for any help!!! I really hope I have this right

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Just a quick note, I used the BB method on my Unlimited data line the Sat. after black Friday for an LG G3, my account has added the 2 years, still shows unlimited data, old phone was replaced with LG G3, no pending activation. Just wanted to wait a couple of weeks before sharing to make sure there were no problems. Thanks to everyone on this site for your help.

How long did it take your pending activation to drop off? I got mine at bestbuy the week of black Friday and still have the pending on my acct...

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Hey guys..I have read the posts here and am paranoid about the losing data, so I thought I would ask here just to make sure I am doing it right.

I have the following:
1. iPhone 5 unlimited data (month to month)
2. iPhone 5 unlimited data (month to month)
3. Samsung Galaxy 3 Tiered Data Plan (still under contract)

We would like to upgrade both iphone 5 to iphone 6. I was going to (1) transfer one of the upgrades to the TDB (2) order from Best Buy an iphone 6 and have it shipped to my apartment (3) when it comes, don't turn on phone and switch SIM cards from iphone 5 to iphone 6. (4) Repeat for the other iphone

Do I have this right? Also, does anyone know if the SIM card on the iphone 6 is the same as iphone 5?

Thank you in advance for any help!!! I really hope I have this right

You don't need to switch the sim card and can just activate the phone on your tiered line. Then, you can switch the phone from line 3 back to one of the unlimited lines.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I have a similar situation:.
Line 1: unlimited
Line 2: 2GB
Line 2 phone was stolen in Oct but did not have upgrade. Transferred upgrade from Line 1 to Line 2. New iPhone 6 from Best Buy for Line 2.
Line 1 now shows upgrade date of 10/31/2016.
Line 2 is now eligible for an upgrade.
VZW has Note 4 for $149.99.
I want to use the upgrade on Line 2 and order the Note 4 from Verizon for Line 1. When it arrives, can I just pull out the SIM and replace it with the SIM from Line 1?

Yes, but you don't have to. Since line 2 is a tiered plan, you can safely activate the new phone on it. After that, you can switch it onto line 1 and reactivate the iPhone. This would avoid any pending activation on your account.

camjam14

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site

Yes, but you don't have to. Since line 2 is a tiered plan, you can safely activate the new phone on it. After that, you can switch it onto line 1 and reactivate the iPhone. This would avoid any pending activation on your account.

Thank you!

emmy9717

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

After reading the posts here, I am thinking of doing buying of activating a phone into my tiered line and switching into my unlimited data line. Random question, though, it looks like most people here are doing this via Best Buy. Can I do buy the phones through the Verizon website?

thebear

May 31, 2011
Visit site

After reading the posts here, I am thinking of doing buying of activating a phone into my tiered line and switching into my unlimited data line. Random question, though, it looks like most people here are doing this via Best Buy. Can I do buy the phones through the Verizon website?
Yes you can if you have a tdp as you stated. I did this exact same thing on good Fri weekend to pick up the note 4.

thebear

May 31, 2011
Visit site

How long did it take your pending activation to drop off? I got mine at bestbuy the week of black Friday and still have the pending on my acct...
I know you were asking mlg since he bought his about the same time as you, but it can take over a month. Mine took 37 days back in Oct.

Flathunder

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

Loooong time lurker, without you guys I would not have udp or the rebate. Now I need your help again.

I have 5 phones all udp and would like to upgrade them all. I checked prices on best buy and amazon for the note 4 and amazon is a lot cheaper.

Are my chances to keep udp better going with BB or can I use amazon and still feel confident that I will keep my udp?

Also, can I use the sim from a s3 or a razr maxx in the note4? Can I use the sim from the maxx in a Droid turbo? I know I'm asking a lot but thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

BigJimJr

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site

Ok, I skimmed through alot of the pages and looks like every upgrade scenario has been covered. Here is what I want to do.

1st line is upgrade eligible 4g S3, Unlimited data.
2nd line is upgrade eligible 4g S3, 2gTDP.

I want to upgrade 1st line to a Note 4 or S5 without losing my UDP. Then upgrade 2nd line to a S5, no change in data.

My plan is to upgrade the 2nd line to Note 4, activate new SIM because no worry of UDP loss. Wait a week, transfer Note 4 to 1st line and use my existing SIM card in the 1st line S3 in Note 4.

Then transfer my 1st line upgrade to the 2nd line, order S5, shred the SIM in S5 and use the SIM that came with the Note 4.

Will this lose my UDP?

Vancouverbluz

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site

I'm doing the best buy method with an individual account. 1 month ago I went to a 3rd party store and got an imei number from one of their demos and ordered and got sent a nano sim. 2 days ago I initiated the Bb method on a droid turbo. Can I use that 1 month old nano sim in this phone or do I have to cut my micro sim from my s3?

dj1807

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

Loooong time lurker, without you guys I would not have udp or the rebate. Now I need your help again.

I have 5 phones all udp and would like to upgrade them all. I checked prices on best buy and amazon for the note 4 and amazon is a lot cheaper.

Are my chances to keep udp better going with BB or can I use amazon and still feel confident that I will keep my udp?

Also, can I use the sim from a s3 or a razr maxx in the note4? Can I use the sim from the maxx in a Droid turbo? I know I'm asking a lot but thanks in advance!!
Double check but I think the razor maxx and note 4 both have micro sd sim cards. The droid turbo has a nano sim

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

ii2334

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for your response! I have a quick follow up question to this:

(1) I read that once I activate the phone into the TDP that I should send out a few texts and make a few calls before I switch it to the UDP phone line. Is there a time recommended before I switch the new phone into the UDP line? Should I wait a day or two? Or, is it OK to do it right after I make a few calls, etc.

(2) I would like to do this method (activating phone into TDP and switching to UDP line) twice. But, I have only 1 TDP line and 2 UDP line. Is it OK to use the same TDP line once again to do this method a second time for the second UDP line? If I do it a second time, is there a recommended time I wait? A week? A month?

Again, thank you for any advice that you guys have been providing me!!

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

I don't think it makes any difference if you use Best Buy or Amazon. The main thing is that you do not use the SIM card that comes with the phone if you use what is called the "Best Buy method."

Also, the SIM cards shouldn't matter as long as they fit. If you have a micro SIM and need a nano SIM, cut it. If you have a nano SIM and need a micro SIM, use an adapter.

camjam14

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site

Note 4 came, activated on Line 2 TDP, played with it for while, moved it to Line 1 UDP and reactivated the iPhone 6 on Line 2. So far, so good!