[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I currently have two lines with verizon:

iPhone 4- 2GB plan, upgrade available
iPhone 5- unlimited plan, upgrade available.

What would be the BEST way to ensure I keep my unlimited data plan while upgrading to the iPhone 6? Could I just upgrade the 4(that has the 2gb plan) to the 6 and just switch the SIM cards with the 5 that has the unlimited data?

Thanks so much for your time!

That is exactly what you should do.

1) Upgrade the 4 to the 6 (can be done in store)
2) Make sure the 6 is activated and works (wait at least an hour)
3) Power off both phones and swap SIM cards.

Enjoy your new phone!

Posted via Android Central App

porcelain

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Can you transfer the upgrades in-store or is it best done online? I read on Droid-Life a while back that there have been issues with transferring upgrades like this. Here's my situation...

S4 with unlimited data, due for an upgrade.
Droid RAZR Maxx with 2GB of data, no upgrade.

I need to switch the S4 line to an iPhone 6 and I'm trying to figure out if I can do that in-store. Otherwise, if it was best to order online, I'd just go the normal route of acting like I'm upgrading the line and then just putting the old SIM in the iPhone 6.

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

hi - i'm on a legacy family plan (nationwide talk share) with 2 lines

line 1 - LG g2 (UDP) - month to month - upgrade available
line 2 - basic feature phone - no data - no upgrade available (only Early Edge, which I have no idea what that is)

I've used the regular method in the past (upgrade line 2 with the phone I want, then transfer it over to line 1). However, I understand that this doesn't work anymore because they force you to pay the $30 data plan for 2 years.

What's my best option assuming I want to keep my lines as they are (line 1 UDP, line 2 no data)?

Thanks!

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Can you transfer the upgrades in-store or is it best done online? I read on Droid-Life a while back that there have been issues with transferring upgrades like this. Here's my situation...

S4 with unlimited data, due for an upgrade.
Droid RAZR Maxx with 2GB of data, no upgrade.

I need to switch the S4 line to an iPhone 6 and I'm trying to figure out if I can do that in-store. Otherwise, if it was best to order online, I'd just go the normal route of acting like I'm upgrading the line and then just putting the old SIM in the iPhone 6.

Store reps would more than likely harass you by saying that you'll lose unlimited if you transfer your upgrade. That's why most people just order online to not be bothered. I would recommend just:

1.) Log into Verizon and transfer your upgrade to line 2.
2.) Order the iPhone 6 on line 2.
3.) When the new phone comes, activate it on Line 2 and then test it to make sure it works (wait at least an hour).
4.) Once the iPhone 6 is confirmed as working, then shut down both lines, log into Verizon and move phones around.

There is no need to use the old SIM unless you really want. You would have to cut the old SIM since an iPhone 6 uses a Nano while the S4 is a Micro.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

hi - i'm on a legacy family plan (nationwide talk share) with 2 lines

line 1 - LG g2 (UDP) - month to month - upgrade available
line 2 - basic feature phone - no data - no upgrade available (only Early Edge, which I have no idea what that is)

I've used the regular method in the past (upgrade line 2 with the phone I want, then transfer it over to line 1). However, I understand that this doesn't work anymore because they force you to pay the $30 data plan for 2 years.

What's my best option assuming I want to keep my lines as they are (line 1 UDP, line 2 no data)?

Thanks!

What new phone do you want? There are a couple of different methods that would work.

porcelain

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Thank you! I figured I still had to use the old SIM that was tied to the unlimited data.

So, there shouldn't be a problem if I activate the phone with the new SIM on line two and switch that phone and the SIM to line one? Didn't think you could switch SIMs like that.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Thank you! I figured I still had to use the old SIM that was tied to the unlimited data.

So, there shouldn't be a problem if I activate the phone with the new SIM on line two and switch that phone and the SIM to line one? Didn't think you could switch SIMs like that.

Yes. The key thing is to reactivate the old phone on line 2. This frees up the new phone and SIM for line 1. When you activate the new phone, it will reprogram the new SIM.

porcelain

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Would it be worth it to just purchase the iPhone on Line 1's upgrade and cut the micro SIM from the S4 (which is on the unlimited data plan) to fit? Or do you think that might be too risky? I've never had to cut a SIM before, but it seems simple enough from the videos I've watched. I'm not sure what my option would be if something were to go wrong and the SIM didn't work...?

Also, would the phone still need to be purchased through Best Buy or can I do the above or transfer the upgrade and purchase through Verizon online? I'd prefer to order through Verizon if possible.

Thanks for all your help!

porcelain

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Could I also just use the upgrade from Line 1, purchase the iPhone, and then cut the S4's Micro SIM to fit? I've never done this before, but it seems simple enough from the videos I've watched. I'm just a little concerned if something were to go wrong and the SIM didn't work. I'm not sure what I'd be able to do then?

Also, if I do what I mentioned above or decided to transfer the upgrade, would it be possible to order through Verizon? Or is it still necessary to purchase from Best Buy for this to work? I'd prefer to order through Verizon if possible.

Thanks!

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Open to anything. Might wait a month or 2 to get the HtC M9 or galaxy 6

Ultimately, your method will be based on SIM size. If the new phone has the same SIM, then it's safe to do the Best Buy method and not worry about moving the upgrade to the basic line. You just put your old SIM in the phone before turning it on for the first time.

If the SIM sizes are different, then you'll move the upgrade to line 2. When the phone comes in, you'll log into Verizon and use the IMEI and SIM numbers to activate the phone directly onto Line 1. It's safe to do this method because you are never actually activating the phone on the basic line. This prevents the $30 a month data charge.

Either way, whenever you get ready to order and know the specific phone, then check back with this thread.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Could I also just use the upgrade from Line 1, purchase the iPhone, and then cut the S4's Micro SIM to fit? I've never done this before, but it seems simple enough from the videos I've watched. I'm just a little concerned if something were to go wrong and the SIM didn't work. I'm not sure what I'd be able to do then?

Also, if I do what I mentioned above or decided to transfer the upgrade, would it be possible to order through Verizon? Or is it still necessary to purchase from Best Buy for this to work? I'd prefer to order through Verizon if possible.

Thanks!

Hypothetically, you could do that if you wanted to; however, there is a chance you'll run into some errors with incompatible SIM cards. It's not really recommended to do the SIM swap when switching between Android and iOS. With that said, it may work just fine. Note, that you will get a pending activation if you do this way. Also, if you do the SIM swap, I don't recommend ordering from Verizon though you can do it. Best Buy is the preferred vendor. Finally, if you cut the SIM wrong, you'll need to return the iPhone and start over.

If you follow my directions, you won't have a pending activation, can order from any party, and will be able to turn to Verizon for help (if necessary).

wazooda

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

Hey all,

I have four lines: two with UDP, two regular 2gb plans for the kids.

Both UDP lines are eligible for an upgrade.

It is my son's 18th birthday, and we want to get him an iPhone 6.

If I transfer an upgrade from one of the UDP lines to my son's 2gb line so he can get an iPhone 6, will the UDP line lose the unlimited data?

Thanks in advance!

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

Hey all,

I have four lines: two with UDP, two regular 2gb plans for the kids.

Both UDP lines are eligible for an upgrade.

It is my son's 18th birthday, and we want to get him an iPhone 6.

If I transfer an upgrade from one of the UDP lines to my son's 2gb line so he can get an iPhone 6, will the UDP line lose the unlimited data?

Thanks in advance!

No you will not. Take the necessary steps on myverizon.com, once you receive the phone active it on the line you transferred to with the preinstalled simcard (your sons line) and you're good to go. Things you will see on your account the next day. Your line (UDP) will be extended to a new two year contract (although some do not see their UDP line extend and still remains month to month, as mine did), on your sons line you will see a required 2- year commitment to the data plan.

lovesparky

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Apologies if this has been asked already, as I am a bit confused and overwhelmed with all this info.
I currently have a verizon family plan with 4 lines:
1 unlimited data (galaxy s4) due for upgrade
1 unlimited data (galaxy note 3)
1 unlimited data (galaxy s5)
1 2gb data plan (iphone 4s)
The line with unlimited data (galaxy s4) is due for an upgrade. I want to get the new iphone 6 which uses a nano sim card. However, the galaxy s4 uses a micro sim card. I would like to keep unlimited on this for as long as I can.
Which method is best for me? Do I just order a new nano sim card for myself and then order the iphone 6 after is has been activated and do a sim swap?
Can i switch the upgrade to the tiered line, get the iphone 6 on that and then switch it?
ALSO, I have a note 3 that I can switch into that is currently not in use if that helps. Thanks in advance!

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Apologies if this has been asked already, as I am a bit confused and overwhelmed with all this info.
I currently have a verizon family plan with 4 lines:
1 unlimited data (galaxy s4) due for upgrade
1 unlimited data (galaxy note 3)
1 unlimited data (galaxy s5)
1 2gb data plan (iphone 4s)
The line with unlimited data (galaxy s4) is due for an upgrade. I want to get the new iphone 6 which uses a nano sim card. However, the galaxy s4 uses a micro sim card. I would like to keep unlimited on this for as long as I can.
Which method is best for me? Do I just order a new nano sim card for myself and then order the iphone 6 after is has been activated and do a sim swap?
Can i switch the upgrade to the tiered line, get the iphone 6 on that and then switch it?
ALSO, I have a note 3 that I can switch into that is currently not in use if that helps. Thanks in advance!

The easiest method for you is the following:

1.) Log into Verizon and move your upgrade from the S4 to your tiered line (line 4).
2.) Order the iPhone 6 on Line 4 and have it shipped home.
3.) When the iPhone arrives, go ahead and activate it on Line 4 like normal (this replaces the iPhone 4S).
4.) Test the new phone and make sure it works (calls, text, data). Keep it on Line 4 for at least 1 hour.
5.) After confirming everything, log into Verizon and activate the old iPhone 4S back on to Line 4.
6.) Now activate the iPhone 6 on Line 1 to replace the Galaxy S4.

When your other unlimited lines become available for an upgrade, just do the same method and you'll keep your unlimited.

lovesparky

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

The easiest method for you is the following:

1.) Log into Verizon and move your upgrade from the S4 to your tiered line (line 4).
2.) Order the iPhone 6 on Line 4 and have it shipped home.
3.) When the iPhone arrives, go ahead and activate it on Line 4 like normal (this replaces the iPhone 4S).
4.) Test the new phone and make sure it works (calls, text, data). Keep it on Line 4 for at least 1 hour.
5.) After confirming everything, log into Verizon and activate the old iPhone 4S back on to Line 4.
6.) Now activate the iPhone 6 on Line 1 to replace the Galaxy S4.

When your other unlimited lines become available for an upgrade, just do the same method and you'll keep your unlimited.

Thanks so much for your reply! I didnt think it would be that simple. Do i just activate the new iphone 6 along with the sim card they send me or will I need to order a nano one? Is it better to order from Verizon or Best Buy?

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Thanks so much for your reply! I didnt think it would be that simple. Do i just activate the new iphone 6 along with the sim card they send me or will I need to order a nano one? Is it better to order from Verizon or Best Buy?

Just activate the iPhone with the SIM card that comes with the phone. There is no need to order a second nano SIM.

As for Verizon or Best Buy, the choice is yours. Both work fine.

nbam915

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

I have 2 smartphone lines with UDP (G3 and S5) and 2 basic phones, 1 line on UDP is available for upgrade and another basic line will be on the 16th. We want to upgrade one this month to note edge and possibly wait for the GS6. What would be the best way to keep my same setup and not have to pay the $30 data plan if i upgrade a basic phone to a smartphone.