[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Question. Have udp on Verizon one line want new phone and keep unlimited data. Does bb method still work if u get shipped to your house and use old sim?

Correct. Which phone do you currently have and which new phone do you want?

Dueddums

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

i have a s3 was looking at s5 or possibly the s6 when it comes out im just trying to make sure i keep my data. i have one phone line! Just so i have this corre t..
I go online to best buy add phone to cart. It ask to keep existing plan i click yes. Even though it say something about my plan is no longer available as long as i click keep existing plan im fine?
Get phone sent to my house take out the new sim from new phone before i turn it on. Pop in my old sim into new phone turn on. New sim not activated so old sim keeps unlimited data. New phone old data plan?

Last edited:

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

i have a s3 was looking at s5 or possibly the s6 when it comes out im just trying to make sure i keep my data. i have one phone line! Just so i have this corre t..
I go online to best buy add phone to cart. It ask to keep existing plan i click yes. Even though it say something about my plan is no longer available as long as i click keep existing plan im fine?
Get phone sent to my house take out the new sim from new phone before i turn it on. Pop in my old sim into new phone turn on. New sim not activated so old sim keeps unlimited data. New phone old data plan?

That's the way to do it.

Demon_27

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site

You don't need to bother with cutting a SIM since you have an unlimited and a tiered line. All you need to do is the following:

1.) Upgrade Line 2 to the Turbo and have it shipped to home
2.) When it arrives activate the Turbo on Line 2
3.) Wait at least an hour, make sure the new phone works (calls, texts, and data)
4.) Power down the Turbo
5.) Log into Verizon online and reactivate the LG Spectrum 2 on Line 2
6.) Now you can add the Turbo directly to Line 1 without cutting a SIM. This can be done online at Verizon

Now enjoy the Turbo on your unlimited line!

After activating the Turbo would it be possible for me to swap the Sim back in the RAZR Maxx using a Sim adapter? I would still like to be able to use Foxfi once in a while on the RAZR since I can't use the hotspot on the Turbo. I'm not sure if I could just swap the Sim back and forth between phones at will or if this would be problematic.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

After activating the Turbo would it be possible for me to swap the Sim back in the RAZR Maxx using a Sim adapter? I would still like to be able to use Foxfi once in a while on the RAZR since I can't use the hotspot on the Turbo. I'm not sure if I could just swap the Sim back and forth between phones at will or if this would be problematic.

It should work.

pennypyncher

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

Got my S5 at BB for $1.00 special promotion and just finished the activation process as you directed. The old phone is back on line2 and the s5 is on line 1 and my UDP is intact as verified online at myverizon. Many many thanks!!

Dueddums

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Has anyone tried to do this method only having one line very recently? I understand everything i have to do but just a little worried of the risk factor. Has anyone run into a probelm where they forced you to a new plan because u had gotten a new phone on contract even after you have followed all directions correctly? I see they have the S5 for a 1.00 its a very good deal thinking about pulling the trigger. But if this is to huge a risk i can wait for the S6 buy it out right and use my best buy credit card no interest financing for 18 months. Just looking for lilttle more insight so i can grow the stones to do this hahah.!

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Has anyone tried to do this method only having one line very recently? I understand everything i have to do but just a little worried of the risk factor. Has anyone run into a probelm where they forced you to a new plan because u had gotten a new phone on contract even after you have followed all directions correctly? I see they have the S5 for a 1.00 its a very good deal thinking about pulling the trigger. But if this is to huge a risk i can wait for the S6 buy it out right and use my best buy credit card no interest financing for 18 months. Just looking for lilttle more insight so i can grow the stones to do this hahah.!

Verizon can take away our unlimited plans at any time, so there is always some risk. If you are month to month, Verizon can just choose to not renew it with a 60 day notification. The same is true if you are on-contract which these loopholes are designed to do. Verizon can always modify your plan at anytime as it is in the Terms of Service agreement. If they remove unlimited data, Verizon must give you a 60 day notice. So, there is never a guaranteed way of keeping unlimited.

With the above said, it is just a matter of what you want to do. People use these loopholes to buy phones on discount and agree to a new 2 year contract because our phone plans already include this cost. That's why we don't get a discount for having an unlimited plan and being month to month like you would if you were on a More Everything plan.

Just about any SIM swap method works because of the unlocked nature that Verizon is required to provide. The Best Buy method still works fine; however, there is always a chance of screw up when using the loopholes. The safest way will always be an outright purchase. It's just a matter of how much risk you are comfortable with.

Dueddums

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Wow most informed anwser ever thank you very much for all your help. Much appreciated thanks again!

Last edited:

Dueddums

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

One more question im am month to month so if i do this do the extend my contract for 2 years?

drdoug13

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site

great instructions for a move - I tried to do an upgrade to note 4 and stopped when wanted me to change my plan.

As a compromise to buying a new phone from VZW - why not a certified preowned from them - about 30% off - then will VZW activate it directly?

thanks

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

great instructions for a move - I tried to do an upgrade to note 4 and stopped when wanted me to change my plan.

As a compromise to buying a new phone from VZW - why not a certified preowned from them - about 30% off - then will VZW activate it directly?

thanks

Buying a certified preown will work just fine. You can buy that directly from Verizon and get it activated without any problems.

s42013

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site

Ok , I asked earlier, but BB wouldn't do the transfer from my UDP line that had an upgrade to my dumbphone line...so now - I have a Nano sim Card that i put in an adapter to go into my Galaxy S4 (so that the sim will fit the iphone 6+ that i want to order). I did get VZW to activate it on my s4, so now i'm running an S4 with an adapted 4glte NANO sim card. I want to just buy at BB online now - do i order it on my UDP line select keep existing plan and then when the phone is received just swap my nano sim that is in my S4 into the Iphone6+ and I'll be good to go (leaving a pending activation on my line for a month or so? Thank you for all of your help. I really enjoy seeing people helping other people on here!

slapshot486

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site

Question about some potential nonsense that I had happen at a Verizon store (corporate).

We have a business account with about seven lines. To keep it simple I am line 1 (UDP) and have an upgrade. Want to transfer the upgrade to Line 2 (4GB TDP) to get a Note 4 on that line and then swap the Note 4 to UDP Line 1. The store rep was saying something along the lines of "if you do that then you will need to change your plan." I told him all we were doing was upgrading the Line 2 phone to a new phone. Told him the user liked the Note 4 and wanted it. We were not getting a new phone for Line 1. He was saying that my plan would have to change because we were transferring an upgrade from a UDP phone regardless if Line 1 wasn't getting the new phone. There was a second upgrade on Line 3 (flip phone) as well, but I told him use my Line 1 upgrade (said I did not plan on upgrading anytime soon). Overall his logic didn't make any sense so I bailed.

Is there any truth to what this person said or did it sound like a bunch of aggressive sales nonsense? Looking at what others have been able to do I would think it's just a misinformed employee.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Question about some potential nonsense that I had happen at a Verizon store (corporate).

We have a business account with about seven lines. To keep it simple I am line 1 (UDP) and have an upgrade. Want to transfer the upgrade to Line 2 (4GB TDP) to get a Note 4 on that line and then swap the Note 4 to UDP Line 1. The store rep was saying something along the lines of "if you do that then you will need to change your plan." I told him all we were doing was upgrading the Line 2 phone to a new phone. Told him the user liked the Note 4 and wanted it. We were not getting a new phone for Line 1. He was saying that my plan would have to change because we were transferring an upgrade from a UDP phone regardless if Line 1 wasn't getting the new phone. There was a second upgrade on Line 3 (flip phone) as well, but I told him use my Line 1 upgrade (said I did not plan on upgrading anytime soon). Overall his logic didn't make any sense so I bailed.

Is there any truth to what this person said or did it sound like a bunch of aggressive sales nonsense? Looking at what others have been able to do I would think it's just a misinformed employee.

The rep is trained to say stuff like that, but he is incorrect. It's really annoying, but this is why it is recommended that people just order online and ship to home. This way you don't have to deal with reps. What you want to do is perfectly fine and can be done online. I would recommend going that way.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Ok , I asked earlier, but BB wouldn't do the transfer from my UDP line that had an upgrade to my dumbphone line...so now - I have a Nano sim Card that i put in an adapter to go into my Galaxy S4 (so that the sim will fit the iphone 6+ that i want to order). I did get VZW to activate it on my s4, so now i'm running an S4 with an adapted 4glte NANO sim card. I want to just buy at BB online now - do i order it on my UDP line select keep existing plan and then when the phone is received just swap my nano sim that is in my S4 into the Iphone6+ and I'll be good to go (leaving a pending activation on my line for a month or so? Thank you for all of your help. I really enjoy seeing people helping other people on here!

What you are thinking will work though I'm surprised that you can't move your upgrade on Best Buy.

s42013

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site

What you are thinking will work though I'm surprised that you can't move your upgrade on Best Buy.

i tried for quite a while to get it to transfer, got on chat with them too...they told me that i would have to order it and have it moved to the other line afterwards...Thank you very much for all of your help!