[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

slapshot486

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

The rep is trained to say stuff like that, but he is incorrect. It's really annoying, but this is why it is recommended that people just order online and ship to home. This way you don't have to deal with reps. What you want to do is perfectly fine and can be done online. I would recommend going that way.

That is what I thought. Thanks for the reassurance.

Posted via Android Central App

Matthew H1

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site

Before I port my number to Google Voice, it says the number will be on the line for 90 days. Is it possible to port it back OFF Google voice before the full 90 day period?

Osiis

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site

I have a family plan on Verizon.

My phone (iPhone4 Line 1) I would like to get a different phone. Upgrades are available on my line and another line (iPhone 5s Line 3)

I have to go into Verizon and ask for a sim card for my Line 1 (iPhone4)?

Thanks

D Gunn

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site

Guys
I am new here and tried to find the answer w/o reading thru 300 pages and had no luck. I am not a phone expert. We have 4 phones on Verizon's family share plan w/ ULD. All are out of contract. 2 are smart phones and 2 are basic phones. We want to keep ULD if at all possible. I need 2 new smart phones. Would like to add 1 of the basic lines to the ULD if possible. It would be nice to get a 3rd new smart phone & a new basic if possible. Is this possible? I will not pay the non discounted price for the phones. Please tell me the best way to accomplish this. I know there is a chance that they may evaluate the line later and take off the ULD. Keep in mind my primary goal is to keep the ULD and get 2 new smart phones.

Thanks in advance

D Gunn

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site

Guys
I am new here and tried to find the answer w/o reading thru 300 pages and had no luck. I am not a phone expert. We have 4 phones on Verizon's family share plan w/ ULD. All are out of contract. 2 are smart phones and 2 are basic phones. We want to keep ULD if at all possible. I need 2 new smart phones. Would like to add 1 of the basic lines to the ULD if possible. It would be nice to get a 3rd new smart phone & a new basic if possible. Is this possible? I will not pay the non discounted price for the phones. Please tell me the best way to accomplish this. I know there is a chance that they may evaluate the line later and take off the ULD. Keep in mind my primary goal is to keep the ULD and get 2 new smart phones.

Thanks in advance

anyone?

NBAJ2K

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site

I apologize to add another post to this thread, I've read through a lot of it but just wanted to see which of the 2 is recommended.

Line 1 - UDP w/upgrade available

Line 2 - TDP.

I was going to transfer my upgrade to the TDP line and do the upgrade online. Once I receive the phone, is it recommended that I first activate the phone on line 2 and wait a bit, or can I just pop in my sim from my UDP line when I get it and be all set?

Thanks in advance!

-J

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I have a family plan on Verizon.

My phone (iPhone4 Line 1) I would like to get a different phone. Upgrades are available on my line and another line (iPhone 5s Line 3)

I have to go into Verizon and ask for a sim card for my Line 1 (iPhone4)?

Thanks

What are the data plans associated with your account?

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I apologize to add another post to this thread, I've read through a lot of it but just wanted to see which of the 2 is recommended.

Line 1 - UDP w/upgrade available

Line 2 - TDP.

I was going to transfer my upgrade to the TDP line and do the upgrade online. Once I receive the phone, is it recommended that I first activate the phone on line 2 and wait a bit, or can I just pop in my sim from my UDP line when I get it and be all set?

Thanks in advance!

-J

It's recommended that you activate the phone on line 2 before moving it to your unlimited line.

Cody Jones II

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I'm sorry to beat a dead horse and ask this question again even though I've seen similar answers, but I have to be absolutely sure I do no lose my UPD as I routinely use over 100Gb per month.

I am on the nationwide talk & txt 1400 plan and there are 4 phones on the account.
Phone 1 is my smartphone with UPD (upgrade available)
Phone 2 is a smartphone with TDP (no upgrade)
Phone 3 is a smartphone with TDP (no upgrade)
Phone 4 is NOT a smartphone (no upgrade)

So I can do the following?
1. Transfer upgrade from phone 1 to phone 2
2. Upgrade phone 2
3. Take the new phone's sim card out and destroy it before turning the phone on
4. Put phone 1's sim into the new phone

Bam phone 1 has a new phone while keeping unlimited and phone 2 stays the same as it was?

And I can order the phone from Verizon online instead of best buy?

I know this seems obvious but i'm just wanting to be 100% sure.

Last edited:

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I'm sorry to beat a dead horse and ask this question again even though I've seen similar answers, but I have to be absolutely sure I do no lose my UPD as I routinely use over 100Gb per month.

I am on the nationwide talk & txt 1400 plan and there are 4 phones on the account.
Phone 1 is my smartphone with UPD (upgrade available)
Phone 2 is a smartphone with TDP (no upgrade)
Phone 3 is a smartphone with TDP (no upgrade)
Phone 4 is NOT a smartphone (no upgrade)

So I can do the following?
1. Transfer upgrade from phone 1 to phone 2
2. Upgrade phone 2
3. Take the new phone's sim card out and destroy it before turning the phone on
4. Put phone 1's sim into the new phone

Bam phone 1 has a new phone while keeping unlimited and phone 2 stays the same as it was?

And I can order the phone from Verizon online instead of best buy?

I know this seems obvious but i'm just wanting to be 100% sure.

You don't even need to do that. If you transfer the upgrade to a tiered data plan, there is no need to destroy the SIM that comes with the phone. This is because the new SIM is tied to the tiered line and not your unlimited line. Therefore, all you need to do is:

1.) Log into Verizon and transfer your upgrade from Phone 1 to Phone 2 (3 would work as well).
2.) Upgrade phone 2
3.) When the new phone comes in, activate it like normal for Phone 2.
4.) Wait at least an hour and make sure calls, texts, and data are all working
5.) Turn off the new phone
6.) Log into Verizon and reactivate the old Phone 2
7.) Now activate the new phone on Line 1

You don't need to use your existing SIM until Step 7 and that's only the case if Line 1 has the same SIM as the new phone you ordered.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Guys

Thanks in advance

anyone?

If I'm understanding you correctly, I've got some good and bad news for you. The good news is that it is easy to get new smartphones and a new basic one. The bad news is that you will be unable to get a new unlimited data plan unless you purchase one from Ebay (and even then I can't promise it will work). Basically, you are looking at a tiered data plan for the new smartphone line.

The other piece of good news is that it becomes really easy to keep your unlimited lines and upgrade them at subsidized prices with a tiered data line. To start this process of upgrading your phones, here is what you will want to do:

1.) Go to Verizon (or Best Buy if you prefer) and upgrade the two basic lines converting one of the to a tiered smartphone plan. You can safely do this in store as we are only dealing with your basic lines. Feel free to upgrade them to anything that you want.
2.) After this process is done, wait at least 24 hours before upgrading one of your unlimited lines.
3.) After waiting, log into Verizon and transfer one of your unlimited upgrades to the new tiered line
4.) Order the smartphone that the unlimited line wants on the tiered line and have it shipped home
5.) When the new smartphone arrives go ahead and activated on the tiered line
6.) Wait at least an hour and make sure that the new phone works testing calls, data, and texts
7.) Power down the new phone
8.) Log into Verizon online and reactivate the old phone on the tiered line
9.) Now activate the new phone on the unlimited line

After these 9 steps, you'll have 3 smartphones (2 unlimited and 1 tiered) along with 1 basic phone.

Osiis

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site

What are the data plans associated with your account?

VERIZON NATIONWIDE TLK&TXT SHARE 700

Line 1 unlimited data iphone4 upgrade available
Line 2 2g data iphone5s
Line 3 2g data iphone5s upgrade available
Line 4 2g data iphone6

Line 1 iphone4 (unlimited data) I want to see about upgrading. From reading I need to go in to VZW and get a sim card for Line 1 iphone4?

Thank you

s42013

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site

It looks as though I've been flagged. I get a warning when i try to order on best buy on my UDP line that something needs to be verified through VZW before they can complete my order. Do you know if this means that if i order through VZW (i would transfer my upgrade to basic phone and then just put in my current SIM from my current phone when received...) will I'll get flagged there too? or should i just try it?
Thank you

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

VERIZON NATIONWIDE TLK&TXT SHARE 700

Line 1 unlimited data iphone4 upgrade available
Line 2 2g data iphone5s
Line 3 2g data iphone5s upgrade available
Line 4 2g data iphone6

Line 1 iphone4 (unlimited data) I want to see about upgrading. From reading I need to go in to VZW and get a sim card for Line 1 iphone4?

Thank you

You don't need a new SIM. All you need to do is the following:

1.) Log into Verizon and transfer your Line 1 upgrade to either Line 2 or 4.
2.) Order the new smartphone and have it shipped to home
3.) When the new smartphone arrives activate it on either Line 2 or 4 (whichever line you transferred the upgrade to)
4.) Wait at least an hour and test to make sure that calls, texts, and data are working
5.) Power off the new phone
6.) Log into Verizon and reactivate the old phone on line 2 or 4
7.) Now activate the new phone on Line 1

Just do those 7 steps and you'll enjoy a new phone on Line 1 with unlimited data.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

It looks as though I've been flagged. I get a warning when i try to order on best buy on my UDP line that something needs to be verified through VZW before they can complete my order. Do you know if this means that if i order through VZW (i would transfer my upgrade to basic phone and then just put in my current SIM from my current phone when received...) will I'll get flagged there too? or should i just try it?
Thank you

Best Buy is randomly checking orders that select "keep your existing plan" and have unlimited data.

The good news is that you can use Verizon for this by transferring your upgrade to the basic line and then upgrading. When the new phone arrives just use your current SIM. Your basic line will have a pending activation for about a month. Don't plan on making any changes to it anytime soon. If you want a new basic phone, I recommend upgrading it before working on your smartphone.

D Gunn

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site

dusoccer10
Thanks for the reply. I am really confused now. I thought about it and if i can get 4 new smart phones now that is what i would like to do. Here is what i have and want to do.

Phone 1 is my smartphone with UDP (upgrade available) I need a new subsidized smartphone (G3) with UDP
Phone 2 is my smartphone with UDP (upgrade available) I need a new subsidized smartphone (G3) with UDP
Phone 3 is a Bisic phone (upgrade available) I need a new subsidized smartphone (G3) with UDP if possible, if not UDP then Tiered
Phone 4 is a Bisic phone (upgrade available) I would like a new subsidized smartphone (G3) but keep the basic plan and use the old basic phone

Here are the steps you listed

1.) Go to Verizon (or Best Buy if you prefer) and upgrade the two basic lines converting one of the to a tiered smartphone plan. You can safely do this in store as we are only dealing with your basic lines. Feel free to upgrade them to anything that you want. when you say upgrade are you saying upgrade phone? would this would be phone 3 & 4? Can i go with 2 smart phones here?

2.) After this process is done, wait at least 24 hours before upgrading one of your unlimited lines. Are you saying upgrade phone 2 to a new smart phone?

3.) After waiting, log into Verizon and transfer one of your unlimited upgrades to the new tiered line. Again are we talking phone upgrades from phone 1?

4.) Order the smartphone that the unlimited line wants on the tiered line and have it shipped home OK
5.) When the new smartphone arrives go ahead and activated on the tiered line OK
6.) Wait at least an hour and make sure that the new phone works testing calls, data, and texts OK
7.) Power down the new phone OK
8.) Log into Verizon online and reactivate the old phone on the tiered line Want a new G3 on tiered line if possible
9.) Now activate the new phone on the unlimited line OK

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

dusoccer10
Thanks for the reply. I am really confused now. I thought about it and if i can get 4 new smart phones now that is what i would like to do. Here is what i have and want to do.

Phone 1 is my smartphone with UDP (upgrade available) I need a new subsidized smartphone (G3) with UDP
Phone 2 is my smartphone with UDP (upgrade available) I need a new subsidized smartphone (G3) with UDP
Phone 3 is a Bisic phone (upgrade available) I need a new subsidized smartphone (G3) with UDP if possible, if not UDP then Tiered
Phone 4 is a Bisic phone (upgrade available) I would like a new subsidized smartphone (G3) but keep the basic plan and use the old basic phone

Here are the steps you listed

1.) Go to Verizon (or Best Buy if you prefer) and upgrade the two basic lines converting one of the to a tiered smartphone plan. You can safely do this in store as we are only dealing with your basic lines. Feel free to upgrade them to anything that you want. when you say upgrade are you saying upgrade phone? would this would be phone 3 & 4? Can i go with 2 smart phones here?

2.) After this process is done, wait at least 24 hours before upgrading one of your unlimited lines. Are you saying upgrade phone 2 to a new smart phone?

3.) After waiting, log into Verizon and transfer one of your unlimited upgrades to the new tiered line. Again are we talking phone upgrades from phone 1?

4.) Order the smartphone that the unlimited line wants on the tiered line and have it shipped home OK
5.) When the new smartphone arrives go ahead and activated on the tiered line OK
6.) Wait at least an hour and make sure that the new phone works testing calls, data, and texts OK
7.) Power down the new phone OK
8.) Log into Verizon online and reactivate the old phone on the tiered line Want a new G3 on tiered line if possible
9.) Now activate the new phone on the unlimited line OK

You will not be able to get another unlimited data plan for a basic line. Line 3 in your example will have to be tiered. With this knowledge, let's upgrade Lines 1-3. I'll talk about the other basic line at the end. To start, do the following:

1.) Upgrade Line 3 (basic 1) to a G3 and select a tiered data plan. This can be done at any store that does Verizon upgrades or online if you prefer. You'll just select the amount of data you want and you'll be on your way with a new G3 for Line 3.

After you do step 1, wait at least 24 hours before moving on to the next steps. After the time period has lapsed, here is what you do:
2.) Log into Verizon online and transfer Line 1's upgrade (unlimited data plan 1) to Line 3 (the new tiered data plan)
3.) Using the upgrade that is now on Line 3, go ahead and order a new G3 that Line 1 wants and have it shipped to home
4.) When the new G3 arrives, activate it on Line 3 like normal.
5.) Wait at least an hour and test the new G3 to make sure calls, data, and text all work
6.) Assuming everything works log back into Verizon. Reactivate the G3 from step 1 back on to Line 3.
7.) Now activate the new G3 on Line 1

After these 7 steps, you'll now have G3s on Line 1 (unlimited 1) and Line 3 (tiered data plan). To upgrade Line 2 (the other unlimited line), just follow steps 2-7. To start that process, you'll transfer the upgrade on Line 2 and move it onto Line 3. Once you repeat steps 2-7, you'll end up with G3s on Lines 1-3 with 1 and 2 being unlimited and 3 being tiered.

As for your plans with Line 4, you are really playing with fire if you want to do that. I strongly recommend not going down this path.

pringles089

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site

Ughhhh! I think I was flagged. :-( I did the whole process following the steps exactly, and then at the end it says that "my wireless provider has requested additional verification. Please call us at...etc" i definitely do not want to call, correct?! Cuz then they'll make me change my plan??? :-(

I'm scared to do it again, but 2 years ago I upgraded on Verizon online from my iPhone 4 to the 5. It told me the same thing back then that id have to change my plan (single line with UDP). So I went through the steps assuming my UDP was gone for good. Got the upgrade, put the sim in before turning on or plugging in and didn't even need to activate it. To my surprise there was no changes to my plan! I've been told countless times by many reps that this was a fluke in their system and that it won't happen again. But I was told that last time too....I'm just a little scared to risk it! :-(

Any other options or loopholes for a gal who used 50+gb a month without having to pay full retail price? (eBay is a joke, people go nuts on the price of those things. It'd be cheaper to buy it retail at Verizon than there)

Last edited:

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 that uses Micro SIM card.

Will Verizon allow me to order a Nano SIM card to replace the Micro SIM card? I want the Nano SIM card so I can use it in the Galaxy S6 when it comes out. I'll be order the S6 with my other line using the Best Buy method, of course. For now, I'll use put the Nano SIM card in a Micro SIM card adapter for my Galaxy S5.

Will ordering a Nano SIM card to replace the Micro SIM card affect the unlimited data plan on my Galaxy S5?

Thanks!

Ordering a new SIM right now and activating before using your upgrade will not affect your unlimited data plan. So, if you can get a nano sim from Verizon and activate it in your current phone (with an adapter), you'll be fine. The only time an issue comes up is if you order a new SIM after using your upgrade.

Now, is your other line a tiered data plan, unlimited, or basic? If it is tiered, you do not need to worry about ordering a new SIM. If it is unlimited or basic, there are other methods you can use that do not require a SIM adapter.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci