[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
We all know that we want to keep our unlimited data plans if you are lucky enough to still have one and we also all probably don't want to pay full retail if we don't have to. Well, to help, I have an ongoing thread in the HTC Thunderbolt forums about keeping unlimited data and I wanted to clean that thread up a bit and post up a step by step set of instructions here of one method that you can use to keep unlimited data with Verizon Wireless. You can read through the thread here but the instructions below pretty much sum up the most common method without purchasing at full retail: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...s/220111-keeping-unlimited-data-question.html

I have not completed this process as I am still waiting for the phone to arrive (Note 2) and once it does, I will edit this post and revise the instructions if need be. This is exactly how I am upgrading to the Note 2 while keeping unlimited. You can see in the Thunderbolt thread that this method has been verified to work previously and has also been verified by VZW that it will work. I don't always trust the VZW people but this is pretty straight forward and I can see how it works. Maybe an "insider" can post up their thoughts or any additional instructions.

How to Keep Unlimited Data-Currently in a Family Share Plan-with this method, you must meet 2 criterion. First, you must currently already be on a Family Share (not Share Everything) plan and second, you need to have an upgrade available on a basic line that is currently on that plan.

(1)Figure out which lines are available for upgrade within your plan. DO NOT use an upgrade that currently has unlimited unless you have no other choice because you will lose unlimited data on that line. Example: You have a family share plan with 3 lines. 2 are smartphones both with unlimited data and 1 is a basic phone with no data. You would want to use the basic phone line for the upgrade. If you only currently have 2 lines and both are smartphones with unlimited data, using this method, you will have to lose unlimited on one of the lines in order to upgrade but you can switch the newly purchased phone over to the unlimited line.

(2)Use which ever line you chose for upgrade, ideally a basic line, and purchase the new phone at the subsidized price making sure that you are using the basic line upgrade and not your unlimited line upgrade. You will have to temporarily add data(choose the 2gb $30 plan) to that line and you'll see why in STEP (3).

(3)Once you receive your new phone, activate it onto the line that you used to upgrade which will deactivate the current phone on that line.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droid3r

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Yeap and whenever one of the unlimited data lines qualifies for an upgrade TRANSFER THAT UPGRADE TO THE FEATURE PHONE LINE. RINSE AND REPEAT.

iSheep... iSheep... Meowww that's Apple

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

Yeap and whenever one of the unlimited data lines qualifies for an upgrade TRANSFER THAT UPGRADE TO THE FEATURE PHONE LINE. RINSE AND REPEAT.

I haven't verified that this would work yet and I do indeed have an upgrade available on my main unlimited line. What is the process for transferring upgrades?

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

Droid3r

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site

I haven't verified that this would work yet and I do indeed have an upgrade available on my main unlimited line. What is the process for transferring upgrades?

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

Go to vzw website they give you the option of transferring an upgrade to another line

dMENACE22

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

When it was time for me to upgrade my phone (Black Friday), the Verizon rep suggested that I open an extra line for each Unlimited Data line that I had and use that supposed basic line for my upgrades while keeping my unlimited data plan paying it month to month. All they would have to do is to switch the phone numbers and data plan so the unlimited plan is reflected on the new phone and the new lines have some cheap basic phones. After two years, upgrade the basic phones again and do the switch as well.

soodas

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Go to vzw website they give you the option of transferring an upgrade to another line

Confirmed that this method works, but I had to call in to have the rep activate my phone.

XxWeLLeR

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site

I actually worked for a vzw retailer.
In order to keep unlimited data you only need 1 extra line. (Your upgrade to line) it can be either a basic or smart without unlimited. Also that line has to have been in contract at some point. Might as well have an extra upgrade lying around too right?
So anytime you want to upgrade one of your unlimited data lines activate to the basic/teir data line. Best part is you can use the upgrade from the line with unlimited data since that is not the activiating line it will not change the unlimited data lines features!!!
I have done this exact thing with 6 or 7 of my friends lines.
As you should know you can not do this on share everything and once you switch to share everything there is no switching back!!!!
Good luck and if you have any questions pm me or post to the thread.

Roonie Q

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

Does anyone know if this would work with the Nationwide Loyalty Share plan? I've been grandfathered for a LONG time. :)

Roonie Q

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

I just chatted a rep that said you will loose unlimited data if you use your upgrade in any way, including transfers. :mad:

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

its true in henderson nv . upgraded to new phoone lost unlimited

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

its true in henderson nv . upgraded to new phoone lost unlimited
If you use the upgrade on the line that has unlimited without transferring it to another line, you will lose unlimited data on that line anywhere in the US. So don't do that if you want to keep unlimited data.

However, if you transfer the upgrade from the unlimited data line to a line without unlimited data and use the transferred upgrade on that non-unlimited data line and then switch the device to the unlimited data line, you won't lose unlimited data on the line that had it.

XxWeLLeR

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site

As long as you do not directly upgrade to the unlimited data line is features will not change. That means if you use an upgrade that's on an unlimited data line on a non unlimited line it will not effect the unlimited data line. Then you can rearrange phones

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

khoos

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

I have the family plan not the shared everything with 2x unlimited data lines . Dummy line is eligible for upgrade. I would like to get the HTC DNA or S3 by adding data to the dummyline, activate it, deactivate it leaving it back to the dummyline and transfering it to my unlimited line with no penalties.

My question is can I only get the new smartphone via Verizon or can I get it at BB, Sams club etc? And if yes, do I tell the workers there to activate, deactivate and activate on my unlimited data line?

Thanks in advance

RubiksQ

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Will this also work if I want to use an upgrade from a tablet? My tablet is eligible for upgrade but my phone is not. On the tablet I have a 1 gig plan, and on my phone I have family share with unlimited data

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

I have the family plan not the shared everything with 2x unlimited data lines . Dummy line is eligible for upgrade. I would like to get the HTC DNA or S3 by adding data to the dummyline, activate it, deactivate it leaving it back to the dummyline and transfering it to my unlimited line with no penalties.

My question is can I only get the new smartphone via Verizon or can I get it at BB, Sams club etc? And if yes, do I tell the workers there to activate, deactivate and activate on my unlimited data line?
You can only do that at VZW without penalty. All of the 3rd party sellers, like Best Buy, charge you a $400 fee if you downgrade or remove your data plan before 181 days on the line that you used for the upgrade. You can of course move to a more expensive data plan without penalty.

Dan Harding

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

I upgraded from a 3g samsung s1 to a galaxy note 2 on sat and there is a loop hole on the verizonwireless.com website that allow you to keep your unlimited data.

khoos

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

I upgraded from a 3g samsung s1 to a galaxy note 2 on sat and there is a loop hole on the verizonwireless.com website that allow you to keep your unlimited data.

What is the loop hole? Its it the same way as the above? TIA