Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    revtech's Avatar

    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    885 Global Posts

    Default just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    I guess I'm cranky tonight and will regret this in the morning, but I'm sick & tired of watching all these great deals go to new customers while the returning customers pay more for their phone upgrade PLUS the added joy of a 30 upgrade fee. So in the case of the phone I am interested in a new customer gets it for 0.01 and I get it for 49.99 + 30 fee for 79.99 . . . This is the thanks I get for being a return customer; thank you verizon. End rant (no I don't feel better).
    Thanked by 2:
    RicanMedic78 and ZachA like this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    I whole heartedly agree!

    Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2
  3. #3  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,195 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by revtech View Post
    I guess I'm cranky tonight and will regret this in the morning, but I'm sick & tired of watching all these great deals go to new customers while the returning customers pay more for their phone upgrade PLUS the added joy of a 30 upgrade fee. So in the case of the phone I am interested in a new customer gets it for 0.01 and I get it for 49.99 + 30 fee for 79.99 . . . This is the thanks I get for being a return customer; thank you verizon. End rant (no I don't feel better).
    Is this through Verizon or an indirect?

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    revtech's Avatar

    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    885 Global Posts

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Is this through Verizon or an indirect?
    In this case it is through an indirect, but from time to time verizon does it as well. It probably wouldn't be as odious if they didn't tack on the upgrade fee, which is definitely verizon's call. I get it that they want to attract new customers, but to hit current customers with a fee just seems wrong. Its true new customers are supposed to pay an activation fee, but that is easy to get waived if you whine enough, but there seems to be no budging on the upgrade fees.
    Used to be upgrade was free, then it was subsidized minus 50, then it was subsidized, now its subsidized and *we* pay 30 . . . of course I used to be able to fill my car with gas for $10 too =)
    I know if I wanted to be snarky I'd say, "geez, get over it" but I guess its just bugging me for some reason. It's probably the price of the phone, if it were 200 the extra 30 doesn't seem to bother me, but since its 50 the extra 30 seems like alot. Go figure :/
  5. #5  
    mesocyclonic's Avatar

    Posts
    168 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    The extra $30 upgrade fee bothered me when I paid $200 for my phone. It seems silly to pay for the privilege of signing a contract, despite what VZW claims the fee goes for. And yes, everyone else has the fee, and it's even more with some other carriers, so it's a "bargain".

    That still doesn't make it right.
  6. #6  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,195 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by mesocyclonic View Post
    The extra $30 upgrade fee bothered me when I paid $200 for my phone. It seems silly to pay for the privilege of signing a contract, despite what VZW claims the fee goes for. And yes, everyone else has the fee, and it's even more with some other carriers, so it's a "bargain".

    That still doesn't make it right.
    It's probably one of the easiest fees to get waived too.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    taylorz_412 likes this.
  7. #7  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,195 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by revtech View Post
    In this case it is through an indirect, but from time to time verizon does it as well. It probably wouldn't be as odious if they didn't tack on the upgrade fee, which is definitely verizon's call. I get it that they want to attract new customers, but to hit current customers with a fee just seems wrong. Its true new customers are supposed to pay an activation fee, but that is easy to get waived if you whine enough, but there seems to be no budging on the upgrade fees.
    Used to be upgrade was free, then it was subsidized minus 50, then it was subsidized, now its subsidized and *we* pay 30 . . . of course I used to be able to fill my car with gas for $10 too =)
    I know if I wanted to be snarky I'd say, "geez, get over it" but I guess its just bugging me for some reason. It's probably the price of the phone, if it were 200 the extra 30 doesn't seem to bother me, but since its 50 the extra 30 seems like alot. Go figure :/
    Talking to people I know that have recently upgraded, only one in five wasn't able to get the upgrade fee waived. That person has only been a Verizon customer for 23 months prior. All others have been Verizon customers for more than four years.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    revtech's Avatar

    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    885 Global Posts

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    It's probably one of the easiest fees to get waived too.
    Really? That's interesting because I found it really easy to get activation fees waived but when I ask about the upgrade fee it doesn't fly.

    Thanks, that will give me the confidence to "push" a little harder.
  9. #9  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,195 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by revtech View Post
    Really? That's interesting because I found it really easy to get activation fees waived but when I ask about the upgrade fee it doesn't fly.
    I'll admit, my sample size is small (4 out of 5). That's just what I've seen personally.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
  10. #10  

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    When I bought my Thunderbolt in June 2011 they waived my upgrade fee as long as I purchased 3 accessories. I bought a case, screen protectors and a car charger all with a 25% off discount.

    Ask if you can do the same.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  11. #11  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    602 Posts

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by revtech View Post
    I guess I'm cranky tonight and will regret this in the morning, but I'm sick & tired of watching all these great deals go to new customers while the returning customers pay more for their phone upgrade PLUS the added joy of a 30 upgrade fee. So in the case of the phone I am interested in a new customer gets it for 0.01 and I get it for 49.99 + 30 fee for 79.99 . . . This is the thanks I get for being a return customer; thank you verizon. End rant (no I don't feel better).
    This only applies to indirect dealers. The pricing directly through Verizon is the same for new and old customers. As far as the $30 upgrade fee, new customers pay $35 per phone for activation. Every other cellular company charges a fee similar and it's higher for upgrades.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
  12. #12  

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    Not to mention the tax you pay on the "original $600 list price" lol
    Quote Originally Posted by revtech View Post
    . . .I get it for 49.99 + 30 fee for 79.99 . . .
    Do I just bargain with a rep in a verizon store and tell them I don't want to pay the fee?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Talking to people I know that have recently upgraded, only one in five wasn't able to get the upgrade fee waived. That person has only been a Verizon customer for 23 months prior. All others have been Verizon customers for more than four years.
  13. #13  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,195 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by jrwatson View Post
    Not to mention the tax you pay on the "original $600 list price" lol
    That varies by state.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  14. #14  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,195 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by jrwatson View Post
    Do I just bargain with a rep in a verizon store and tell them I don't want to pay the fee?
    Yes.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  15. #15  

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    It's probably one of the easiest fees to get waived too.
    I did this for my niece and sister. Verizon credited their account a month of data each at $29.99. Ask for the customer loyalty/retention department. I explained why the fee was a bunch of crap and they did this.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
  16. #16  

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Yes.
    No, I don't think a store representative can waive the fee. Verizon customer service on the phone said I'd be fighting a uphill battle and yet I got it done as I mentioned in above post.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
  17. #17  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,195 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    No, I don't think a store representative can waive the fee. Verizon customer service on the phone said I'd be fighting a uphill battle and yet I got it done as I mentioned in above post.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    Of the 4 instances I posted about earlier, 2 were waived in-store.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  18. #18  

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Of the 4 instances I posted about earlier, 2 were waived in-store.
    Awesome, that means it's even easier to be waved now if a store associate is capable of doing it.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    It's probably one of the easiest fees to get waived too.
    Can you elaborate on how you were able to do this so easily? You're talking about the $30 upgrade fee, right?

    I tried chatting online. They said 'corporate won't allow them'. So I chatted on the phone. I told them I was a loyal customer, that we've been using Verizon ever since we got phones, that we recently upgraded 2 phones to smartphones and are now paying an extra $60/month, that we're considering upgrading all phones in the near future, etc etc. I was courteous, but when that didn't work I played the irate customer. I was on the phone with them for a good 10 minutes, and they didn't budge. She just said "we are not allowed to! That's a non-negotiable fee!"
    Last edited by jrwatson; 12-12-2012 at 11:50 PM.
  20. #20  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,195 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by jrwatson View Post
    Can you elaborate on how you were able to do this so easily? You're talking about the $30 upgrade fee, right?

    I tried chatting online. They said 'corporate won't allow them'. So I chatted on the phone. I told them I was a loyal customer, that we've been using Verizon ever since we got phones, that we recently upgraded 2 phones to smartphones and are now paying an extra $60/month, that we're considering upgrading all phones in the near future, etc etc. I was courteous, but when that didn't work I played the irate customer. I was on the phone with them for a good 10 minutes, and they didn't budge. She just said "we are not allowed to! That's a non-negotiable fee!"
    One that happened in-store told me they did exactly what you tried to do. One was upgrading two lines at the same time and also mentioned how long they were with Verizon and how they have never ever had a late payment.

    I'm pretty sure the other went the same route, but I know they only upgraded on one line.

    Two others called in later after hearing about getting the fee waived and had a similar conversation with whoever they were talking to. Not sure if they were escalated up the chain.



    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  21. #21  

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    Thanks! Did any of them occur fairly recently? I'm wondering if they got overloaded with similar complaints, and corporate finally did 'prevent CS from waiving fees' lol. I pulled every card except threatening to switch carriers, and I told them I knew the fee could be waived. Oh well, there goes $60. Maybe I'll call again tomorrow .

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    One that happened in-store told me they did exactly what you tried to do. One was upgrading two lines at the same time and also mentioned how long they were with Verizon and how they have never ever had a late payment.

    I'm pretty sure the other went the same route, but I know they only upgraded on one line.

    Two others called in later after hearing about getting the fee waived and had a similar conversation with whoever they were talking to. Not sure if they were escalated up the chain.
  22. #22  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,195 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by jrwatson View Post
    Thanks! Did any of them occur fairly recently? I'm wondering if they got overloaded with similar complaints, and corporate finally did 'prevent CS from waiving fees' lol. I pulled every card except threatening to switch carriers, and I told them I knew the fee could be waived. Oh well, there goes $60. Maybe I'll call again tomorrow .
    July 2012 to now.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  23. #23  

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    Since this a "just wanted to get this off my chest" thread, let's turn this into a "what did Verizon do to **** us off" thread lol.

    I ordered my phone on Wednesday, but noticed it was $50 at Target. So literally less than an hour later, I called to cancel the order--should have been no problem right? The guy assured me it wouldn't ship out, I wouldn't have to pay restocking fees, that my upgrade would reset in a couple days, etc.

    Soooo FFW to a couple days later--guess what comes in the mail? My phone. Guy didn't do crap, nothing reflects that the order was ever cancelled. In fact, there doesn't even seem to be a way to check the status of an order. Even though Verizon sends the billing statement to the email address it's linked to, it never once sent out shipping confirmations or order confirmations for anything we've purchased--we're just left in the dark. Not going to screw around for $50 returning it and likely paying a restocking fee for their error, but this is so typical of Verizon.

    I tried to negotiate the $30 upgrade fee again, and they were still pissy about how it's 'non-negotiable'.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    Holy christ. So I open the package because I assume the cancellation never went through--we never received any email updates or order confirmations, so how was I to know anything different? At 3 today, some guy from Fedex comes up and wants the phone back.. I had already opened the box and everything.

    Spent half an hour on the phone with Verizon, only for them to tell me I'm likely going to be charged a restocking fee for opening the damn box. How was I to know someone was going to walk up and claim the phone back? They never even sent me an order confirmation when I ordered the thing, they never sent me a shipping confirmation when it shipped out, they never sent me a cancellation confirmation, they never told me some guy was coming to our house to pick up the box they delivered just a couple hours prior.

    Now I have to wait a *week* for my upgrade to reset. And pay a $30 restocking fee for their blunder.
  25. #25  
    pretext's Avatar

    Posts
    325 Posts
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts

    Default Re: just wanted to get this off my chest . . .

    Talk about a nightmare!

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I really want to get this phone, but........
    By sjrosenberg in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-05-2013, 04:07 PM
  2. Just wanted to share this. OTA update coming?
    By HeavyPhoton in forum Sprint Photon
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-07-2011, 06:01 AM
  3. Just want to get some opionins.......
    By Ms Charli in forum The Android Central Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2011, 05:53 PM
  4. I just want to get rid of bloatware
    By airmans.lady in forum Inspire Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2011, 06:45 PM

Posting Permissions

B